First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Major print publications equipped with iPad review units began publishing the first sanctioned critiques of the device when Apple lifted its embargo this evening and, generally speaking, they are all agreement that it could challenge a void in our digital lifestyles.

Below are links to, and select quotations from, five of those reviews:

Walter S. Mossberg - The Wall Street Journal

"For the past week or so, I have been testing a sleek, light, silver-and-black tablet computer called an iPad. After spending hours and hours with it, I believe this beautiful new touch-screen device from Apple has the potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop. It could even help, eventually, to propel the finger-driven, multitouch user interface ahead of the mouse-driven interface that has prevailed for decades."

David Pogue - The New York Times

"In 10 years of reviewing tech products for The New York Times, I?ve never seen a product as polarizing as Apple?s iPad, which arrives in stores on Saturday. [?] The bottom line is that the iPad has been designed and built by a bunch of perfectionists. If you like the concept, you?ll love the machine. The only question is: Do you like the concept?"

Andy Ihnatko - The Chicago Sun-Times

"The most compelling sign that Apple got this right is the fact that despite the novelty of the iPad, the excitement slips away after about ten seconds and you?re completely focused on the task at hand ... whether it?s reading a book, writing a report, or working on clearing your Inbox. Second most compelling: in situation after situation, I find that the iPad is the best computer in my household and office menagerie. It?s not a replacement for my notebook, mind you. It feels more as if the iPad is filling a gap that?s existed for quite some time."

Edward C. Baig - USA Today

"The first iPad is a winner. It stacks up as a formidable electronic-reader rival for Amazon's Kindle. It gives portable game machines from Nintendo and Sony a run for their money. At the very least, the iPad will likely drum up mass-market interest in tablet computing in ways that longtime tablet visionary and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates could only dream of. [?] Apple has pretty much nailed it with this first iPad, though there's certainly room for improvement. Nearly three years after making a splash with the iPhone, Apple has delivered another impressive product that largely lives up to the hype.

Tim Gideon - PC Mag

"Aside from Apple enthusiasts, many of us wondered who would drop hundreds of dollars for this not-quite-computer. But having used the iPad for some time, I can tell you that the device just makes sense. When you combine basic-but-essential work tools with iWork, an improved browser, e-mail, iPod, and photo applications, a well-executed e-Book platform with iBooks, and throw in thousands of downloadable apps and games, and package it all in a gorgeous, slim slate with a beautiful 9.7-inch touch screen, you have yourself a winner. Is the iPad cheap? No. Is it flawless? Not at all. Omissions including support for multitasking, a built-in camera for video chats, and Flash support in Safari leave room for improvement, but otherwise, the Apple iPad is a very convincing debut. And it will undoubtedly be a driving force in shaping the emerging tablet landscape.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 186
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    It's magical®.
  • Reply 2 of 186
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Hmmm?

'Favorably' is all good and well, but it's hardly the 'magical' device that Stevie J so enthusiastically proclaimed it to be.

We'll See How This Plays Out...
  • Reply 3 of 186
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

'Favorably' is all good and well, but it's hardly the 'magical' device that Stevie J so enthusiastically proclaimed it to be.

It might be magical to AAPL shareholders. At this point, that's all I want out of the iPad. I'll consider buying one when version 2.0 hits the streets.

• Reply 4 of 186
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

Before you all fly off in some iPad fantasy remember that the publishers have a big interest in the iPad.

>Edit: seems like other agree see this

Quote:

The first three reviews of Apple's (AAPL) tablet computer were posted Wednesday night ? each, coincidentally, from newspapers that are developing their own iPad apps.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....eviews-are-in/

>/edit

With that I give you some balance with quotes from David Pogue:

Quote:

And the techies are right about another thing: the iPad is not a laptop. It?s not nearly as good for creating stuff. On the other hand, it?s infinitely more convenient for consuming it

It might be good at finger painting, but the finger lacks the detail a pointer and input devices provide.

If a painting app arrives, which I'm sure it will, it would have a lot of zoom control.

Quote:

Some have suggested that it might make a good goof-proof computer for technophobes, the aged and the young; they?re absolutely right.

The Woz also echoed this assessment, I fingered the youth market before either of them.

Quote:

The haters tend to be techies; the fans tend to be regular people.

Regular people are varied, as soon as one needs Office, or access a Flash based site or something else in software the iPad or the App Store won't approve, they are going to be screwed with the iPad.

So really the people using one will have absolutely no need for a open machine that a lot of established software runs on. That means the young and the older markets chiefly, but not exclusively.

Quote:

The Apple iPad is basically a gigantic iPod Touch.

He repeats this twice, it is dependent upon a computer, it's not a standalone device or a tablet computer.

Quote:

There?s an e-book reader app, but it?s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries

Likely because only the technical and the affluent can afford to buy a iPad. Wall Street Journal is charging $10 more for the iPad version than the online version.

Quote:

You can?t read well in direct sunlight.

Actually glossy screens are hard to read just about anywhere except a dark room. Back to heat trapping anti-glare films that peel at the edges and collect dirt.

Quote:

At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile

Ouch! No wonder one needs to keep their legs up to support it. How long before it slides off your leg if you fall asleep reading only to accidentally step on it when you get up?

Does the iPad need it's own ceiling hanging bungee cord?

Quote:

When the iPad is upright, typing on the on-screen keyboard is a horrible experience; when the iPad is turned 90 degrees, the keyboard is just barely usable (because it?s bigger). A $70 keyboard dock will be available in April, but then you?re carting around two pieces.

Ouch, "barely usable!" Talk about turning the iPad back into a laptop!!

Quote:

the iPad can?t play Flash video... thousands of Web sites show up with empty white squares on the iPad...It will probably be years before the rest of the Web?s videos become iPad-viewable

Yikes! Years!

Quote:

There?s no multitasking, either. It?s one app at a time, just like on the iPhone.

Reports might be that this is going to change soon.

Quote:

The bottom line is that you can get a laptop for much less money ? with a full keyboard, DVD drive, U.S.B. jacks, camera-card slot, camera, the works. Besides: If you?ve already got a laptop and a smartphone, who?s going to carry around a third machine?

And you get a built in monitor stand too!

David didn't mention how the iPad screen is going to weather wear and tear unfortunately.

Other than those drawbacks and the high price, I say the iPad is a very interesting and fun device to consume media, play games and do the basics.

Again, I just wanted to bring some balance to the spin and let people know everything about the iPad before buying one so they know well in advance if it's right for them.

And if it is, good for them! A informed decision is a good decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/te...anted=2&src=mv
  • Reply 5 of 186
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I saw Mossberg's review about an hour after it went up. I thought it was pretty close to a rave.

But in the comments section, man, it was a bloodbath. Everything from "it won't even replace my $1,500 laptop" to "if I can't take the battery out myself it is dead to me" to "it has no keyboard/USB port/Flash = Fail!!!1!1!!" [yes, yes. I'm paraphrasing despite using quotes. I didn't feel like wading back into that mess again for actual quotes...]

There are some angry techies out there, and if this device succeeds (where other attempts at a tablet have clearly not) I'm afraid some might actually explode.

Funny thing is, they were (mostly) all valid complaints if you expect the iPad to be what it is not. Few seemed to be willing to look at it as a new type of device and judge it on its merits. I am extremely curious to see what the general population thinks when this hits the street!
  • Reply 6 of 186
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

Before you all fly off in some iPad fantasy remember that the publishers have a big interest in the iPad.

And what the publishers want are viewers. They will adapt.
  • Reply 7 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I think his point is that the raves were biased because the publishers want the iPad to succeed and save them. I could be wrong, though--he is rarely coherent for long...
  • Reply 8 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    "sanctioned critiques"

Why does this bring up images of a 1943 German musical where Hitler was the writer, director, choreographer, singer, dancer, promoter and ticket agent and 5 'critics' were all given front row seats on opening night and were then expected to write unbiased reviews in time for the early morning edition of the Berlin Gazette.

Strange maybe, but that was the first thing that came to mind after simply reading the title...

An no I'm not an iPad hater... I'm buying TWO of them!
  • Reply 9 of 186
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think his point is that the raves were biased because the publishers want the iPad to succeed and save them. I could be wrong, though--he is rarely coherent for long...

Hmm. I see. I missed that. I can see his point, though I didn't get that from the quotes.

Fair enough.

I ordered 2. One for me and my father. I can't wait. I am definitely a fan. But I am tired of giving tech support to my father on his MacBook. The only thing he doesn't call me about is his Touch. And he gives presentations from it. Have at it old man.
  • Reply 10 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Here are some videos you might enjoy...
    Personally, I'm pretty damn sold on that Periodic Table app. I thought my interest wouldn't have turned until sometime after the launch, but that app looks fantastic.

I was also glad that the iPod app doesn't have CoverFlow, that you can copy blocks of text and images in eBooks (though I'm sure not with the DRMed eBook), and that Pogue maintained over 12 hours of continuous video. The slow eBook page turn is cool, though just for eye candy sake.

While completely expected, I'm still surprised at how fast it is. Screw all the talk about which tablet has a faster processor, the only thing that matters is how it feels to the user.

What SpotOn has conveniently not addresses and odd spreads out with separate quotes is Pouges dual-review which first got out of the way all the negative points "techies" would say. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. His review for consumers is exactly the tone AI quoted in the article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

Quote:

What SpotOn has conveniently not addresses and odd spreads out with separate quotes is Pouges dual-review which first got out of the way all the negative points "techies" would say. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. His review for consumers is exactly the tone AI quoted in the article.
  • Reply 11 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    All positive reviews will be evidence of being in the tank for Apple. All negative reviews will be a refreshing example of "refusing to drink the Koolaid." Robust early sales will be because fanboys will buy anything Apple makes. Delighted reports of early adopters will be evidence of the stupidity of Apple's customers. Reports from people who "played with one at Best Buy and thought it sucked" will be proof of epic fail.

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
  • Reply 12 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

There are some angry techies out there, and if this device succeeds (where other attempts at a tablet have clearly not) I'm afraid some might actually explode.

Sounds eerily familiar... now where have I heard that kind of mad frothing of the mouth before... Hmm let me think... OH YEA... I REMEMBER... it was June 29, 2007... now if I could JUST REMEMBER what took place on that day****...

****no need for anyone to post the obvious answer... I'm just having some fun!
  • Reply 13 of 186
    Quote:

HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

How long before it slides off your leg if you fall asleep reading only to accidentally step on it when you get up?

Then you can't have a laptop either I imagine if you're honestly concerned with people passing out and stepping on them when they wake up. I'd consider getting an evaluation for that alcoholism you're enduring because normal people wouldn't even FATHOM your scenario which means 1 or 2 things.

You've done this scenario - perhaps more than once while drunk

and 2

You're honestly concerned that your troll-fantasy would happen to other people - because they drink too much, pass out and awaken to then blindly stagger around the house breaking things.

Obviously, you can't have nice things and you have my deepest wishes on your long road to recovery for your struggles with life and alcohol.

---

(btw: seriously, wear and tear? IT'S GLASS - which is also found on the outside of HOUSES and BUILDINGS - jeez - you're drunk right now aren't you - wow - and on a wednesday even)
  • Reply 14 of 186
    Quote:

HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

Remember, very few people have actually held one of these machines. Did you miss the fact that the reviewers were unanimously enamored of the device? They all say: what it tries to do, it does extremely well. For the 10,000th time, it is not trying to replace a laptop. It is not a laptop. However, many people who are using laptops at present may realize that they don't NEED laptops. Or can use this device when it suits better than a laptop.

Still, I wonder at your motivation for the constant stream of criticism of this device you have not yet touched. I can see why someone who loves their iPhone or iPod Touch might go overboard in their praise of a device they have not touched because they can imagine it being like what they already have, only bigger and better.

But why your anger and why here? Is it that:

1) you just love a fight?

2) someone is paying you to spew FUD?

3) you truely believe it is your mission in life to save Apple fans from their Apple products?

4) ...I don't know, is there another possibility that would make you seem less annoying?
  • Reply 15 of 186
    Resistance is futile! The iPad is here, whether some folks like it or not, and it's here to stay. This time the revolution will definitely be televised. The next few days will be so much fun! I've got my work cut out for me as an iPad evangelist. I failed at explaining the reality of evolution and the big bang; maybe this time I will succeed...nah!
  • Reply 16 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

I mean, quoting Woz to offset the uniformly positive early reviews, and having mischaracterize his remarks just to eke out even that little bit? How many ways are there to say "But it's just a big iPod!"? Grim.
  • Reply 17 of 186
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

Maybe SpotOn is trying to short AAPL.

• Reply 18 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This thing will be ferociously killed by the critics. It will also be a runaway success (I predict). The thing is that MOST people don't give a flying fck what techies think. The iPad may have shortcomings and users may have to make compromises as a result but for MOST people a regular computer (including Macs) delivers an experience so poor that I am sure the iPad will be like a breath of fresh air. 'Normal' computers make most people feel stupid rather than empowered. The other important point already alluded to by other posters is that this is rev one iPad with a new OS waiting in the wings. Give it a few months.

I think my cousin's predicament will prove to be typical. He is buying one for his wife but is certain he'll get one, too, eventually. His kid s getting a Mac for his birthday but that's not until late summer. My cousin imagines there'll be much "who's been messing with my iPad" going on with everyone requiring their own sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 19 of 186
    Quote:

HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!

Because this new device, that fits where a laptop and a desktop don't, and will be consumed in massive quantities by those who would have no use for a desktop or a laptop (thus addressing a new market segment),

IS GOING TO BE .......H U G E ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Reply 20 of 186
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Then you can't have a laptop either I imagine if you're honestly concerned with people passing out and stepping on them when they wake up...

I've had customers fall asleep on their laptops reading, it's usually the thin cheap ones that break.

*oh no!, you killed Kenny!*