Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

1246714

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    As the former user of several 'jailbroken' iPhones, I can say with certainty that there's a hefty price to be paid in the form of battery autonomy for using some of those added (jailbreak) features.



    The battery life on the iPhone is already somewhat lackluster, so for the average user less would be completely unacceptable.



    Apple may be slow to implement features like MMS/multi-tasking/etc, but I have to give them credit for at least thinking things through before they do add certain capabilities.



    Kudos. Nicely out.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcotten View Post


    They still sell the iPhone 3G on their website TODAY. If it's such a dusty old POS, then quit selling it, instead of selling it to the masses and limiting, via your software, what the device can and cannot do.



    I bet you that by the time v4.0 comes out you won't find the 3G on their store's front page. Remember, this is just a Preview of what is coming months from now, giving devs a chance to ready themselves. However, if you're going to take that stance what mobile OS has done better since you can been buy new phones today with Android OS 1.x on them despite v2.1 coming out months ago.
  • Reply 62 of 273
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcotten View Post


    They still sell the iPhone 3G on their website TODAY. If it's such a dusty old POS, then quit selling it, instead of selling it to the masses and limiting, via your software, what the device can and cannot do.



    Those who buy these older/refurbished handsets are seldom ignorant to the fact they they are buying last generation's technology, but are willing to accept the limitations of said tech in order to save a few dollars.



    Like I said, it's not like the devices are incapable of performing the task for which they were originally designed/developed, but it's completely unreasonable to expect them to feature all of the latest 'bells and whistles'.



    I guess obviously there are those who are 'completely unreasonable' \
  • Reply 63 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    Well argued. Really bolsters your point.



    My point was most free apps need a reason to be. Some are teasers for full versions while many are just the free + ad model. I am happy that model exists as otherwise all apps would either be teasers or for purchase. There would be no way a free app, other than being a teaser, could warrant the hard work. Is that a better explanation.
  • Reply 64 of 273
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    This wouldn't be the internet without all the complaining what they didn't do, but hardly a mention of what they did do....



    I don't even own an iPhone (but do have a 2nd Gen iPod touch and certain features won't even run on it, but that's life and technology). September-ish might be the time to upgrade when the 4th Gen iPod touch is released.
  • Reply 65 of 273
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    My point was most free apps need a reason to be. Some are teasers for full versions while many are just the free + ad model. For example my favorite free Mac app is Carbon Copy Cloner and the developer 'eats' by having ads running. I am happy that model exists as otherwise all apps would either be teasers or for purchase. There would be no way a free app without, being a teaser, could warrant the hard work. Is that a better explanation.



    Much. However, there were free applications before there was even a concept of adware. Somehow those developers managed to survive. Don't represent ad-support for "freeware" as somehow suddenly necessary.
  • Reply 66 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    Much. However, there were free applications before there was even a concept of adware. Somehow those developers managed to survive. Don't represent ad-support for "freeware" as somehow suddenly necessary.



    I actually changed my reply as CCC is not free, my bad, but you know what I mean. Yes there is the shareware model too I grant you I think that's how they survived.
  • Reply 67 of 273
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    My point was most free apps need a reason to be. Some are teasers for full versions while many are just the free + ad model. I am happy that model exists as otherwise all apps would either be teasers or for purchase. There would be no way a free app, without being a teaser, could warrant the hard work. Is that a better explanation.



    It's either having ads present while you use the app (a la Apple, Google), or you can run a quick 5 second ad before the app loads (a la MS on the Zune HD).



    Personally, I don't know which is better. A persistant ad lets you get right to the app, but that banner's sometimes annoying. The "ad before app" gives you a clean app, but you have to wait every time you start up a free app.
  • Reply 68 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post


    It's either having ads present while you use the app (a la Apple, Google), or you can run a quick 5 second ad before the app loads (a la MS on the Zune HD).



    Personally, I don't know which is better. A persistant ad lets you get right to the app, but that banner's sometimes annoying. The "ad before app" gives you a clean app, but you have to wait every time you start up a free app.



    Yep. Hard to say. I think the waiting system is worst in a way, that waiting (your app will start in 16 seconds unless you buy the full version) drives me nuts being hyper Although it works, I have ponied up for many a Mac utility that pulled the waiting trick. Especially when they increment the wait.
  • Reply 69 of 273
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I actually changed my reply as CCC is not free, my bad, but you know what I mean. Yes there is the shareware model too I grant you I think that's how they survived.



    No - I mean completely and totally free. No ads. No money. No nagging. Nothing. FREE. Such things once existed. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur...
  • Reply 70 of 273
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Very Cool, and did anyone else happen to notice that the screen on that iPhone they're displaying looks to (finally) be 16:9?



    There'll never be a 16:9 iPhone screen. Makes no sense.
  • Reply 71 of 273
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcotten View Post


    What a complete JOKE. I have been a loyal apple'ist for ages... but this is the final straw. SCREW IT



    You do know those phones have slower processors and half the ram.
  • Reply 72 of 273
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    No - I mean completely and totally free. No ads. No money. No nagging. Nothing. FREE. Such things once existed. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur...



    The Devs need to make money somehow, they don't just create apps for the fun of it or for the betterment of mankind. Then again, now that I think about it, look at Handbrake. It's a great program and it's totally free. Go figure.
  • Reply 73 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    No - I mean completely and totally free. No ads. No money. No nagging. Nothing. FREE. Such things once existed. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur...



    Yep there are and have been such things in the past, remember Lemonade on the Apple ][ ? . I've been around too long too!
  • Reply 74 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I always get my wife's cast off iPhones as her needs are greater as a Realtor. Her MK 1 now my touch and at present her old 3G is my main phone. So the next question I have is ... how long before there is a new model I can get her to thus inherit the 3Gs?



    Going by history, it will be this Summer. Previous iPhone release dates are June 29th, 2007 » July 11th, 2008 » June 19th, 2009. Note that the Special Event for IPhone OS v2.0 and v3.0 was mid-March, so this push back as well adding more complexity to the OS could push the release date back further, though i hope not.
  • Reply 75 of 273
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    There'll never be a 16:9 iPhone screen. Makes no sense.



    Sure... Just as it makes 'no sense' on some 95% of all modern touchscreen smartphones -



    All it takes is one look at the iPhone (mock-up) in today's Apple KeyNote slides to see that the device's display is much more elongated than today's iPhone.



    We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 76 of 273
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    No - I mean completely and totally free. No ads. No money. No nagging. Nothing. FREE. Such things once existed. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur...



    Nothing is ever free.

    The only ones who don't understand that are children.
  • Reply 77 of 273
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    Nothing is ever free.

    The only ones who don't understand that are children.



    I assure you, my pity is completely free.
  • Reply 78 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    The Devs need to make money somehow, they don't just create apps for the fun of it or for the betterment of mankind. Then again, now that I think about it, look at Handbrake. It's a great program and it's totally free. Go figure.



    Yes that is a good example, same with VLC and MPEG Stream Clip.
  • Reply 79 of 273
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcotten View Post


    What a complete JOKE. I have been a loyal apple'ist for ages... but this is the final straw. SCREW IT



    Not a problem. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Actually, let it.
  • Reply 80 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post


    I assure you, my pity is completely free.



    You are a happy chap
Sign In or Register to comment.