Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 273
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Not a problem. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Actually, let it.

Well said, and may it be a very large door
  • Reply 82 of 273
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes that is a good example, same with VLC and MPEG Stream Clip.

And open source oriented devs can still make free apps for the iPhone/iPad. It's a choice; any platform that forbid or made it really hard to do ad supported apps wouldn't have too many apps.
  • Reply 83 of 273
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sure... Just as it makes 'no sense' on some 95% of all modern touchscreen smartphones -

All it takes is one look at the iPhone (mock-up) in today's Apple KeyNote slides to see that the device's display is much more elongated than today's iPhone.

We'll See Soon Enough...

I think the elongation might have to do with projection from wide screen to standard. The problem with changing the screen size is that the existing apps will need to be redesigned for the new size. Apple will not tell developers of such thing well in advance.
  • Reply 84 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sure... Just as it makes 'no sense' on some 95% of all modern touchscreen smartphones -

All it takes is one look at the iPhone (mock-up) in today's Apple KeyNote slides to see that the device's display is much more elongated than today's iPhone.

We'll See Soon Enough...

I'd wager it's just an illusion. For starters, the OS update is for the 3:2 ratio 3G and 3GS iPhone, too,, so the OS update must conform to those dimensions. Second, Apple is super-secretive so they wouldn't display the ratio of the next iPhone HW in a Preview event for the iPhone OS months in advance.
  • Reply 85 of 273

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo

I'm not sure about you, son, but my time is worth money. I get irritated when people steal it.

Or maybe the economy has changed?
  • Reply 86 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Or maybe you're just self-important jerk that thinks his time is worth more than anyone else's?

haha well spotted. Hypocrisy in the same thread.
  • Reply 87 of 273
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I guess the only thing I'm unclear about is how you'll (as a user) instruct an app to keep running in the background.
  • Reply 88 of 273
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Maybe the lack of news regarding iPad printing and file sharing is related to the delayed iPad release date....
  • Reply 89 of 273
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

The feelings is quite mutual...

NOW can we please resume the useful/pleasant conversation we were having without immature/off-topic interruptions from those with nothing constructive to post? Thanks

The feelings are quite mutual.
  • Reply 90 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd wager it's just an illusion. For starters, the OS update is for the 3:2 ratio 3G and 3GS iPhone, too,, so the OS update must conform to those dimensions. Second, Apple is super-secretive so they wouldn't display the ratio of the next iPhone HW in a Preview event for the iPhone OS months in advance.

I'd agree and also add the iPhone screen is nicer for vertical web viewing precisely because it isn't 16:9. It would a retro step. They provide a choice of; fill screen with double tap for movies or letter-boxing. So a great compromise and typically wise choice by Apple.
  • Reply 91 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I guess the only thing I'm unclear about is how you'll (as a user) instruct an app to keep running in the background.

I think it was shown in the presentation, but it wasn't easily or quickly translatable to a blog. I'm sure it will be explained on a website very soon.
  • Reply 92 of 273
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think the elongation might have to do with projection from wide screen to standard. The problem with changing the screen size is that the existing apps will need to be redesigned for the new size. Apple will not tell developers of such thing well in advance.

Well then I ask you this:

If the display if the mock-up suffers from this 'alleged' projector distortion, then why does the button on the bottom of the 'mock-up' appear to be perfectly round instead on distorting to an oval shape?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/l...t/90#c26956797

Like I said - We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 93 of 273
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Android has a much larger percentage of 'free' apps. And it shows in their quality.

Lots of hobby-ware over there.
  • Reply 94 of 273
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

Ads are ads. There is no such thing as 'more or less' annoying. Anyone with a brain should see them for the intrusion they are. If anything, the idea behind these ads is more evil than usual, since they'll be unavoidable, and better able to lull the user into thinking that something malevolent and coercive is actually personal and helpful.

Right now we have free apps with banner ads at the bottom. If you don't click them, nothing happens. If you do click them, you are taken out of the app and into safari.

With iAd we will have free apps with banner ads at the bottom. If you don't click them, nothing happens. If you do click them, you will remain in the app, but get interactive app like content that will in a lot of cases be useful. When you are done, simply click the x in the upper left hand corner and continue doing whatever you were doing in the app.

I don't know how anyone who actually paid attention and thought about what Apple presented could take iAd as a bad thing. Furthermore, I think iAd will present more value to advertisers and thus provide developers (and Apple) with more revenue, allowing for even more quality apps to be free.
  • Reply 95 of 273
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:

Good point. Maybe the Home button quits the app as it does now, and some new gesture brings up the home screen?
  • Reply 96 of 273
    drwho4drwho4 Posts: 5member
    The lower cost 3G version of the iphone is made available so that folks who do not have mountains of disposable income can get in on the cool factor that is the iphone. The people who chose this model know what they are getting into & get what they are paying for.

You can't expect Apple to give away the farm to a lower cost device.
  • Reply 97 of 273
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Or maybe you're just self-important jerk that thinks his time is worth more than anyone else's?

Wow, projecting much?
  • Reply 98 of 273
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    All of those multitasking steps sound pretty smart to me. My Blackberry would be sweet to have those. Alas, its battery drains in one day. I must recharge every day and performance is slow with many apps on it.
  • Reply 99 of 273
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You don't. All apps will be saved when you press home and are put in the multitasking dock doing nothing. If an app is using one of the multitasking APIs and need to do something in the background then it will be doing that thing. Other apps will be saved at last state so when you open then you will start were you left off (they are not running). However, you do have the option to "close" app that exist in the multitasking dock.
  • Reply 100 of 273
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Before the sarcasm begins: what Apple has done to make this different from every other phones multitasking, is to provide API's that allow the app to only use the resources that it requires. So that app doesn't hog up more than it needs.

That sounds very cool.

Is there a flip side though? Does it mean that ONLY those functions with APIs can work in the background?