Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 161
    q dudeq dude Posts: 16member
    If the phone is fake: giz = lame

If the phone is real: giz = lame
  • Reply 42 of 161
    I?m a high school teacher that enjoys Apple products. I?ve owned all three versions of the iPhone, four Macs, Airport Extreme, all three versions of Aperture, several versions of iWork and Final Cut Express (which was used to edit home movie DVD?s of my children as a holiday gift for the grandparents, something I continue to hear about years later). I simply love what Apple does and I?m constantly amazed by what they come out with. I?m putting aside some of my teachers salary now to purchase an iPad, which I?m also excited about. In the coming years I will hopefully continue to read and hear that ?Apple has done it again!? as they bring spectacular technology to the market that actually is for the rest of us. Or at least for people like me.

\tAt first I was excited with this weekend?s pics of what may be the upcoming iPhone. Then I wasn?t. It?s not the intriguing changes in the design. I just feel a little cheated.

\tI?ve realized that I WANT Steve Jobs up on that stage showing me something I haven?t seen before. As long as Apple comes out with wonderful products they will naturally--and rightfully--lead the industry. I want to learn about emerging products when Mr. Jobs and the gang at Apple are ready to present them, and not a moment before. Especially not like this. If they didn?t keep things under wraps, the rest of the industry would steal their sweat and tears and call it ?innovation? once they?ve copied the design for themselves. Just look at the recent history with the iMac, iPod and iPhone and you see a industry trying to catch up.

\tWhat have we come to? Paparazzi TechnoHounds, ready to pounce on a story this large and perhaps cost some poor guy his job who was actually working to CREATE one of these stunning products? Have some of the technology folks on the net fallen to the ultimate low--consuming a kind of celebrity gossip because they?re essentially bored?

\tThese picture--and the tawdry story that goes with them--is not a victory or a celebration for the TechnoGeeks that surf the web in packs. It is nothing to crow about. And it doesn?t feel like the right thing. I?m not clicking on anymore of these stories. I?ll wait for a guy named Steve to get on stage with a product that is genuinely ready to be revealed.

[email protected]
  • Reply 43 of 161
    I'm sorry folks, that is not the next iPhone, there's no way that was made by Apple. You can tell a mile away that it's not a Jony Ive design. I'm not sure how this story about the Apple engineer fits into it, it's possible--knowing the source (Gizmodo)--that the whole thing is concocted. Believing a Gizmodo story about an Apple product would be like believing a Fox News news release about Obama.

Everything about this story is fishy, from the unsharp photos on through to the constantly changing facts. I think Gizmodo is having a ball with it, and it sure is spinning up its page counter. It knows Apple won't step in to question it, since this would only give Gizmodo even more attention.

In any case, I would file this under the Late April Fools category.
  • Reply 44 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cesco View Post

"But at least he's alive."

Umm, had to chuckle at this line then i stopped as images of a leather-clad Phil Schiller whipping the poor SOB who is cuffed to Jobs' desk popped into my mind. Better drown meself w/ German beer.

What's "wench" in German?

Hey, go clean your mind out with soap!
  • Reply 45 of 161
    Even if he didn't outright steal this and made up the story I'm pretty sure that this could still be deemed theft. You have to turn things like this into the local police and if the owner doesn't claim it you may be able to get it.

If this is truly Apple's property expect the person that "supposedly" found this to be served very very soon.
  • Reply 46 of 161
    For those who don't think you could get a Prototype iPhone out of Apple your fooling yourself. It was revealed after previous launches that Apple had teams of people out using the new versions before they were launched to see how they performed. As a baseband software developer he would be one of a small group who could do this as he would need to test baseband performance to be sure everything was working correctly. With the disguise and how common iPhones are nowdays no one would have noticed unless something like this happened.
  • Reply 47 of 161
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Man this thing is ugly. Looks like a cheap imitation WM device. This seriously can't be the new design.

the plastic back of 3gs looks cheap especially white one...not only looks but even sounds and feels cheap in hands.

P.S. i like this new design but no more than the design of the original iPhone
  • Reply 48 of 161
    Wow... this was such a controlled leak.
  • Reply 49 of 161
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

well..there goes the lederhosens
  • Reply 50 of 161
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
    Could someone go down to that bar and tell them they have an open and shut civil case against this guy. Even if Apple never claims the phone it would be the property of the bar. That $5000 belongs to them.
  • Reply 51 of 161
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I like it. I was thinking that with a 3G iPad, I would just skip the next iPhone. The front facing camera and the overall newness of the design intrigues me enough to make me want to upgrade. I think Apple may have done it again.
  • Reply 52 of 161
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I understand the "oh my god" factor the Gizmodo writers have probably had when they came upon this.

I just hope for them that this iPhone doesn't turn out to be planned and Steve calls them suckers in 2 months because someone's credibility is going to go bad.

We all know multiple prototypes meant to deceive float around. Additionally, the guy wasn't fired even though he would be considered a liability and I find it hard to believe an Apple engineer would have a top-secret iPhone 20 miles from the campus to be "accidentally" left in a bar and didn't use MobileMe to track it before they killed it.
  • Reply 53 of 161
    Wonder what Apple thinks of his Myspace Zune background.
  • Reply 54 of 161
    Gizmodo has made a strategic decision to play in the big leagues. Seriously big.

If Apple chooses to play the game of secrecy, along will come upstarts to push the envelope. This is all, of course, similar to, but nothing compared to how the took the New York Times took on the Pentagon, and Washington Post took on the US Presidency.

This is the beginnings of the modern day equivalent.

Outlets like AI -- and all of us, who regularly contribute here -- will have some interesting decisions to make in this brave new world as situations like these present themselves and evolve, in the future.

That said, this whole story is getting curiouser and curiouser. I love it.
  • Reply 55 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

I guess. I don't have a copy of his employment contract, Apple's employee handbook that relates to him, or any policies that might apply to him. I mean, if he lost the thing simply by being drunk, then that's bad. If he took it off site without permission and lost it drunk, he probably should be canned, yes.

None of this means I agree with Gizmodo posting his name. Because they're "journalists" they won't reveal the name of the guy who took it... apparently who was able to find out to whom it belonged and still kept it for profit...

Yeah, Gizmodo is just total scum. Gruber has referred to Brian Lam as a "hack" a couple of times, but I think he's being nice in saying that much. Gizmodo is the lowest of the bottom feeders when it comes to tech journalism.

The thing that I find amazing is that they publish the guys story that stole the phone (the guy they bought it off of), complete with that unbelievable part about how a mysterious third-party anonymous drunk guy gives it to them (presumably this provides them room to say they didn't steal it or even pick it up, and that it was given to them, etc.), and they give them complete anonymity. I mean that guy is the actual culprit of the piece, even more so than Gizmodo. Then they publish a gigantic picture of Grey Powell with an empty mickey of booze in his hand and tell everyone what a loser he is?

Protect the criminal and trash the unlucky employee? How noble. Not.

I think it's totally believable that an Apple employee like Grey with what might be a booze/drug problem could have dropped the phone, but everything *after* that sounds completely fake to me. It's so similar to the kind of convoluted ridiculous story a kid makes up when he's been caught doing something wrong.

According to Gruber, Steve Jobs is really, really mad about the whole thing. I really hope Gizmodo is finally forced to take some kind of responsibility for all their childish antics. I'd like to see Brian Lam's mug shot myself.

It would make my day.
  • Reply 56 of 161
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This isn't an iPhone news story.

It's the guy's obituary.

Unless it was intentional. In which case it sets an odd example for other Apple employees.

I'll bet you all a half a penny that another related big tech news story hits the blogs tomorrow. And it won't be good news for either Gawker or Gizmodo.

And the Gray guy? If this wasn't an Apple ruse then Gray is history plain and simple. His tech career is over.

.......that is if he's lucky. \
  • Reply 57 of 161
    mobycatmobycat Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

Could someone go down to that bar and tell them they have an open and shut civil case against this guy. Even if Apple never claims the phone it would be the property of the bar. That $5000 belongs to them.

How do you come up with that? Just because something was left in the bar... doesn't make it the bar's property.
  • Reply 58 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gizmodo has made a strategic decision to play in the big leagues. Seriously big.

If Apple chooses to play the game of secrecy, along will come upstarts to push the envelope. This is all, of course, similar to, but nothing compared to how the took the New York Times took on the Pentagon, and Washington Post took on the US Presidency.

This is the beginnings of the modern day equivalent....

I usually like the stuff you post, but this makes it sound like you are comparing the guys at Gizmodo to Woodward and Bernstein? That's just rude.

Woodward and Bernstein were journalists. They had integrity and they played by the rules. Gizmodo is so many millions of miles away from that ideal it's funny. Gizmodo engages in classic "yellow journalism" which is almost the exact opposite of real journalism.
  • Reply 59 of 161
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A 27-year-old Apple software engineer who was field testing Apple's unreleased fourth-generation iPhone left the top-secret device sitting on a bar stool after drinking a German beer in Redwood City, California, Gizmodo reported Monday evening.

Former!

A 27-year-old former Apple software engineer who was field testing Apple's unreleased fourth-generation iPhone...

It's good to know the guy is still alive and working at Apple for as long as it takes to clean out his desk...

No more field test iPhones for you... so says the soup Nazi!

So a little thunder has been taken away with regards to the iPhones redesign. I am more interested in the demo of iChat as well as if Steve will tell us if the iPhones AT&T exclusivity is over...

Best of luck to that engineer... will Apple give him a reference at least?... I'm kidding! Mistakes happen or S*it Happens! It'll be alright Apple... it's only two months away! Better than having this happen six months ago...
  • Reply 60 of 161
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is the beginnings of the modern day equivalent.

Outlets like AI -- and all of us, who regularly contribute here -- will have some interesting decisions to make in this brave new world as situations like these present themselves and evolve, in the future.

That said, this whole story is getting curiouser and curiouser. I love it.

What are the odds that Apple would pull strings and force Gawker into shutting down Gizmodo? Do you all remember what happened to ThinkSecret?