Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer

Comments

• Reply 121 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, I think there is a good chance that this was a deliberate decoy by Apple.

I wish we could make bets through appleinsider. That would sure make these discussions interesting. I'm not a big believer in conspiracies or media stunts. I'm sure you believe the whole Bush administration orchestrated 911 for profit huh? lol the funny thing is that you are probably thinking "obviously it was for oil money."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hey! AppleInsider! Make a poll about this.

p.s. go red in 2012! Although shit the world is going to end on December 21st so who cares what happens in November . . . ;-)
  • Reply 122 of 161
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So to disable their iPad, they must get through my firewall, break into my network and then disable the iPad? Sounds illegal to me. I doubt an iPad is communicating on a seperate network broadcasting itself just in case mobileme comes knocking.

Unless your firewall specifically blocks apple servers that won't stop them. Your iDevices always periodically contact apple servers. That's the only way they could possibly accomplish basic things like push, etc. Even the phones lock/unlock status is stored on apples servers.
  • Reply 123 of 161
    crmcrm Posts: 3member
    It's worth remembering that in the past Apple has split the development/prototype testing so that aside from a few select individuals no one gets access to the final product until just before launch.

The software people don't get to use the actual hardware & the hardware people don't test with the real software. This guy is apparently a software engineer so it's quite possible that the hardware he was carrying around isn't a 100% match for what is planned for the iPhone 4.

Having said that with the dual cameras & flash etc it must be pretty close - otherwise he might as well just test on a 3Gs.
  • Reply 124 of 161
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Gray's flickr account looks so damn fake to me. He or whomever he has taking pictures for him must be a really good photographer.
  • Reply 125 of 161
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Hey ya jerk!

What ya doin' posted our secrets around the internets for?

Not only does Germany have some of the most gorgeous down-to-earth-take-home-to-meet-mom girls on the planet *....

...but even the English agree (WorldCup '06 headlines in Britain), that Germany makes the finest beer on the planet! Considering the total consumption at the WC06, which I believe is a world record, and my all-to-often personal experiences... you MUST be careful!

A couple of those mugs will knock the average Bud or Miller drinker to his knees, if the beauty and um... "assets" of the Kelnerin doesn't do it first!

* Disclosure: my reason for being here in the first place: I was a souvenir to a still, 20-years later gorgeous, "au pair" I met in LA.

PS. Every red, blue, yellow, green (whatever) blooded guy should make it their goal to make a pilgrimage to the one-n-only Oktoberfest in Munich at least once in their lives. Give yourself a few days (BEFORE!), and visit the BMW Museum outside of Munich, and also Ingolstadt (Audi), and possibly Stuttgart (Mercedes & Porsche). What more could a guy want: Beautiful cars, great girls, and fantastic beer and fun! (You may adjust adjectives to your liking.)
  • Reply 126 of 161
    Usually I find at least a few comments I agree with here. Actually there may be some but I couldn't read all of them this time. I'm having trouble not using words like moronic. No wonder Apple gets so much credit for their media control. People actually think Apple or SJ thought dropping a prototype at a bar is a good way to leak info. Wow. I mean, weather you love apple or hate them, you think they said "drop it off at a bar and see what happens"? It's well understood they do controled leaks, think major newspaper or magazine and an Apple exec. that gives an exclusive to a reporter they know there under the condition of anonimity. Not let's hope a drunk gives it to Gizmodo.

As for the poor sob who lost it I don't think he'll lose his job. If he was trusted with the prototype he's probably has value enough. He's already paying the"I publicly made the biggest boneheaded move ever" price.
  • Reply 127 of 161
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Gray Powell sounds, (and looks in every picture), like an alcoholic. I didn't know him a half hour ago and now I've seen four pictures each of which he holds some kind of beer or mickey of something.

Because he lost the phone while drunk at a bar. Sure he f'd up, but that's not necessarily an alcoholic. He's just young. They're using those pictures because they go with the story very well.

Quote:

Gizmodo's "story" is full of so many holes it isn't funny.

They got the new iPhone when no one else could, not this time or the three previous times. That's pretty badass.

Quote:

My deepest hope is that Gizmodo finally gets the comeuppance it's been begging for all the last few years, but probably nothing will happen to them at all. It's so hard to watch those hacks at Gizmodo break the rules, and shit all over people over and over again and never get in any serious trouble. Jesus is the only one with a brain, and all of them act like they are twelve half the time.

Well, I agree that outing the Apple Employee isn't very classy. That I can see as shitting on people. As for outing the iPhone, that pretty much is the definition of not being a hack. It's probably the best thing I've seen since I've been reading tech blogs, and if I could read Gizmodo more than I already do, I would.
  • Reply 128 of 161
    Hoax.
  • Reply 129 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Appleman1 View Post

Hoax.

Troll.
  • Reply 130 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Hey ya jerk!

What ya doin' posted our secrets around the internets for?

Not only does Germany have some of the most gorgeous down-to-earth-take-home-to-meet-mom girls on the planet *....

...but even the English agree (WorldCup '06 headlines in Britain), that Germany makes the finest beer on the planet! Considering the total consumption at the WC06, which I believe is a world record, and my all-to-often personal experiences... you MUST be careful!

A couple of those mugs will knock the average Bud or Miller drinker to his knees, if the beauty and um... "assets" of the Kelnerin doesn't do it first!

* Disclosure: my reason for being here in the first place: I was a souvenir to a still, 20-years later gorgeous, "au pair" I met in LA.

PS. Every red, blue, yellow, green (whatever) blooded guy should make it their goal to make a pilgrimage to the one-n-only Oktoberfest in Munich at least once in their lives. Give yourself a few days (BEFORE!), and visit the BMW Museum outside of Munich, and also Ingolstadt (Audi), and possibly Stuttgart (Mercedes & Porsche). What more could a guy want: Beautiful cars, great girls, and fantastic beer and fun! (You may adjust adjectives to your liking.)

The Irish make better beer.
  • Reply 131 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Troll.

Nothing troll. I simply do not believe that this is true. If you look at the letter suppose to be written by Apple: come on, this is written by chief legal stuff Apple? Have you seen the old logo, the way it's written, the too many spaces?

Please tell me at which bar I can get it, we can have a (German) beer over it???

If it would be stolen etc, they would just send a letter in a way of: you bring me back my stuff right now or we...

Remember, Apple is the same company who closed Think Secret some years ago.

And now you think they beg Gizmodo to please tell me where to pick it up?

Na, it's a hoax.

But feel free to think like many others.
  • Reply 132 of 161
    Sincerely, I hope in a better design...... \
  • Reply 133 of 161
    Quote:

Nothing troll. I simply do not believe that this is true. If you look at the letter suppose to be written by Apple: come on, this is written by chief legal stuff Apple? Have you seen the old logo, the way it's written, the too many spaces?

Please tell me at which bar I can get it, we can have a (German) beer over it???

If it would be stolen etc, they would just send a letter in a way of: you bring me back my stuff right now or we...

Remember, Apple is the same company who closed Think Secret some years ago.

And now you think they beg Gizmodo to please tell me where to pick it up?

Na, it's a hoax.

But feel free to think like many others.

Like the New York Times?

Wow you better call and tell the NYT editors it was a hoax! You can save the day! Go you!

(psst - the NYT confirmed it - they're a "real newspaper" and stuff. Unlike trolls)
  • Reply 134 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Like the New York Times?

Wow you better call and tell the NYT editors it was a hoax! You can save the day! Go you!

(psst - the NYT confirmed it - they're a "real newspaper" and stuff. Unlike trolls)

Still I do not see why you should behave the way you behave: I simply do not believe it, as the story has too many holes.

The phone itself might be true, I do not doubt that.

Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just think it's very unlikely that a 27 year old engineer goes into a bar with a prototype machine belonging to a company which is known for extreme secret behaviour, with black wraps and red lamps when something deep inside its campus is exposed.

Anyway, never mind, you are right.
  • Reply 135 of 161
    Quote:

Still I do not see why you should behave the way you behave: I simply do not believe it, as the story has too many holes.

The phone itself might be true, I do not doubt that.

Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just think it's very unlikely that a 27 year old engineer goes into a bar with a prototype machine belonging to a company which is known for extreme secret behaviour, with black wraps and red lamps when something deep inside its campus is exposed.

Anyway, never mind, you are right.

But I love playing the odds. And the only thing that's a bigger stretch than a drunk Apple employee ditching a prototype, is the idea it was on purpose.

It's all speculation of a source until the NYT posts an article on Steve Jobs begging for it's return - then the odds go up quite a bit.

Heres the link btw : http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/te...ref=technology
  • Reply 136 of 161
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    I hope that if I were to forget my mobile phone in a bar that someone would hand it over to the barman so that I can retrieve once I realised that I've forgotten it. Or failing that, drop it off at a local police station. Taking it home is not an option.

'Finders Keepers' is for the under 4s, not for adults with a proper sense of honourable behaviour.

Gizmodo knew it didn't righteously belong to the Finder. To knowingly buy goods from someone who did not have legal ownership is not honourable, and may be a criminal act. This isn't an issue involving corruption or hypocrisy of government officials, it was a prototype /phone/ which a company wanted to keep secret as part of their effort to operate in a competitive environment. Why so cavalierly undermine those efforts?

I wonder how Gizmodo would have felt if somehow those exclusive photos were left in a bar before publication and someone else picked them up and used them - particularly after Gizmodo paid £thousands for them? Would they support Finders Keepers then?
  • Reply 137 of 161
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The fact is that there's no perfect security," he wrote. "Not when humans are involved. Humans that can lose things. You know, like the next generation iPhone."

Well, there're still interesting things besides xenophobia; they generate less page hits, though.

Clueless blogger, the type, who can only deserve being quoted by AI, is sure absolutely ignorant, that software engineers seldom lay their hands on device prototypes. They work with emulators instead. Being a keyboard guy, you can actually do very few things with prototype; all you have is field test mode.

The engineer is thus either (a) a test one, or (b) purposely and irresponsibly stole the prototype from his buddies at hardware or test department, or (c) was purposely given the prototype to carry out the "mission".

Knowing guy's graduation year, (b) can by no means be excluded...
  • Reply 138 of 161
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

The story about the guy getting drunk and losing it is too stupid to be true, but it might be...

I am reminded of a show I saw years ago:

Police officer: Sir, if you don't stop being belligerent I will have to arrest you.

Man: But officer, I'm not belligerent; I'm Presbyterian.

So I say it is too stupid not to be true especially with alcohol involved.
  • Reply 139 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cesco View Post

What's "wench" in German?

I think it's "Schiffer".
  • Reply 140 of 161
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    'Jesus Diaz'? German beer ... This whole story looks so fake now.