Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 161
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I learned one thing from this whole thing.

At least there's AT&T cellular coverage at Gourmet Haus Staudt!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Man this thing is ugly. Looks like a cheap imitation WM device. This seriously can't be the new design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This is Apple's way of creating hype months in advance to stop people from buying competing smart phones....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jim1350 View Post

\tAt first I was excited with this weekend?s pics of what may be the upcoming iPhone. Then I wasn?t. It?s not the intriguing changes in the design. I just feel a little cheated.

\tI?ve realized that I WANT Steve Jobs up on that stage showing me something I haven?t seen before. As long as Apple comes out with wonderful products they will naturally--and rightfully--lead the industry. ...

\tWhat have we come to? Paparazzi TechnoHounds, ready to pounce on a story this large and perhaps cost some poor guy his job who was actually working to CREATE one of these stunning products? Have some of the technology folks on the net fallen to the ultimate low--consuming a kind of celebrity gossip because they?re essentially bored?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinoza2 View Post

I'm sorry folks, that is not the next iPhone, there's no way that was made by Apple. You can tell a mile away that it's not a Jony Ive design. I'm not sure how this story about the Apple engineer fits into it, it's possible--knowing the source (Gizmodo)--that the whole thing is concocted. Believing a Gizmodo story about an Apple product would be like believing a Fox News news release about Obama.

Everything about this story is fishy, from the unsharp photos on through to the constantly changing facts. I think Gizmodo is having a ball with it, and it sure is spinning up its page counter. It knows Apple won't step in to question it, since this would only give Gizmodo even more attention.

In any case, I would file this under the Late April Fools category.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfreak85 View Post

Wow... this was such a controlled leak.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I like the rounded backs of the GS. The firt-gen phone was a slippery sucker. Perhaps the square edges will help but we'll see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Gizmodo... The...

of today!

Think Secret

Nah, ThinkSecret didn't rely on accidents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

You can't underestimate it. He basically destroyed Apple's reputation, aura, carefully honed brand over a few beers. That's an unimaginable hit. It gave competitors a 2 month lead on a response. It will take years for Apple to regain it's veil on its marketing strategy. Years.

Sympathise all you want, but the consequences simply isn't knowing what the 2010 iPhone is going to be 2 months early. Oh well such is life. This does mean Apple is going to be locked up pretty tight for awhile, but then again when the atmosphere is like this mistakes can be made easier. It's simply easier before this when everything appears to be a smooth running engine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

You know, there is a fundamental principle here. Whatever the authenticity of the story, if you find something that someone else has lost, surely you try to return it to them or hand it in to the police, don't you? If it is a scarf or something similarly trivial and difficult to return that's been left on a train that's different, but an expensive device that will almost certainly contain important personal data on it? The guy that 'picked it up' (or was that picked it out of his pocket?) with the intention of personal gain, was stealing it. So many people in these and similar forums use the word 'steal' inappropriately when referring to copyright infringement, which is a far more complex matter, but not many seem troubled by the prime face act of stealing by the unnamed party here. An indication of the lack of moral scruple in these times perhaps?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saturate View Post

Wow! This is a nice phone...

I think it looks good! I'll wait to buy a new phone until this gets out!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Guys, for the last time, this is not the case design. This is a prototype-only case with the real internals, made for testing. IT WILL NOT LOOK LIKE THIS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Dear folkz,

1. CHARGES

No one will get sued or charged about this, because this was a PLANNED LEAK. Do you think that the company, which gets insane about their security, would let a young SW engineer to carry a top secret product prototype off the campus? No way they would! Not long ago there was an article on how far Apple goes regarding access to the prototype products...

And if he accidentally managed to sneak the prototype out and did what he did - LOST, would he still be working for APPLE? Not in any way. I would personally fire him to make a case for other employees. Steve would freaked out 10 times faster. People got fired at apple for putting unintentional words in emails that accidentally leaked. It was a planned leak for sure.

2. GIZMODO and APPL

Why exactly would Gizmodo get this and no one else? Apple (Steve) and GIZMODO were always in good relations. Gizmodo's always playing nice on Apple products, and Apple regards them back with priceless marketing at the keynotes.

By looking at the CA law, everything done here is a crime. I don't think Apple would be hesitating on suing GIZMODO directly, if they would be so unhappy, hurt and robbed with this leak.

3. THE iPHONE 4G DESIGN

The leaked iPhone DESIGN is not FINAL. They need to have something to show at the WWDC keynote as well.... It's a prototype case and there are too many factors on this design that isn't something Apple would release. Altough I like it a loot. It needs a little polish, but I think I love it more then current design. The leak was only to show to the world that iPhone is getting 1 major feature - VIDEO CHAT! Of course along with other cool upgrades - better camera, better battery, bla bla (but we all knew that new iPhone will be having better these).

4. LEAK

This wouldn't be the first ever planned leak from Apple. It came in the right time. At the launch of new HTC phones... Everyone just wants a 4G iPhone now. Me too . So this is another good fact that this was a carefully planned PR move.