Apple expected to sell 700K+ iPads overseas, beating the Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I like my iPad and have been using one since the day it was released no matter what the numbers are, it is still just a big iPod Touch that doesn't play Flash.

Also while it comes in handy at times I use my MBP 98% of the time. The iPad just doesn't really cut it for anything except web surfing and ereading.

That's pretty much how I'd expect it be used. Especially from a "techie" person who uses a notebook as their main machine.

For the couch while watching TV, at the breakfast table, traveling, or simply lounging around it's quite ideal in design.

I have two friends that are moving from a MBP to an iMac as their next machine because the iPad fills their mobile gap so well. They get more machine than a notebook for less money so they see it as a win-win. Other, older people, I know that have and love the iPad already have desktops and don't really use them much so it already fills that void.

The iPad window between my 13" MBP and iPhone is too narrow for my needs right now, and I travel way too much to get a desktop anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple's desktop sales getting a nice boost as more people find the "Desktop PC + Tablet PC" option as a more optimal fit over just a "Notebook PC".
  • Reply 22 of 109
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

While I like my iPad and have been using one since the day it was released no matter what the numbers are, it is still just a big iPod Touch that doesn't play Flash.

Also while it comes in handy at times I use my MBP 98% of the time. The iPad just doesn't really cut it for anything except web surfing and ereading.

Yeah and my mac pro doesn't cut it for steam cooking...
  • Reply 23 of 109
    And it still doesn't come with a two-button mouse. Sheesh.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    It can't really be doing that good because it doesn't have a right mouse button.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Doesn't work the same for everyone bud... Besides the normal thing it can do (web, read, games, email, movies, music, etc). Here's what I've been using my iPad for:

- I've done client presentation (with the iPad itself or connected thru a projector) on it. (Sure you can do it on a laptop but I found it light and convenient for me). MY iPAD HAS MADE ME LOOK EVEN BETTER, AND MORE PROFESSIONAL ON CLIENT PRESENTATIONS!

- Digital sketches and illustration (Sure I can do the same at home or at work) ON THE GO while I'm commuting on the train (can't do that with a laptop).

- Illustrations I've done on the iPad are not just for personal collection but actual "paid" work

- Do quick photo edits (for work) on the go

- Manage my freelance business, finances, etc

- Get paid for my work via credit card

- Do quick simple edits to websites I maintain (yeah, there's an App for that)

- Most importantly for me, quality time with my kids playing games, reading those great children's book before bedtime!

- I have more to add to the list but you should get my point by now.

And I'm doing all that with a small lightweight bad boy not a big a$s heavy laptop. It's been two weeks since I last used my MBP. And I haven't really touched it since I got the iPad. Sure you can call it a big iPod Touch, but that's what makes it better. So, no the iPad for me is not a toy. As far as Flash, all of the websites I check on a daily basis are HTML5 enabled so I could care less about it personally.

You see the iPad is only limited to your imagination and your creativity. JUST BECAUSE IT DOESN'T CUT IT FOR YOU DOESN'T MEAN IT WON'T FOR OTHERS. If you prefer your MBP, good for you bud. Like I always say, get and use what works for you personally. I bought my iPad and researched and thought out on what I'm going to use it for and made my decision. AND PLEASE STOP TELLING OTHERS WHAT DOES AND DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

lol, that's like saying a bike isn't good for anything except for riding it.

The iPad has delivered just as Steve said it would:

iBooks

Music

Movies

Web browsing

Email

Games

Newspapers

Magazines

Tv shows

Netflix works great on the iPad.

All phenomenal experiences.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    I actually made the mistake of buying an external keyboard. Now I can't be bothered to use it. The virtual keyboard works just fine with me. Of course, I'm a touch typist, not a two-finger pokist.

Seriously, I am pleased as punch with my iPad (low end wifi no less!). BTW, I shelled out the 5 bucks for the Wired emag, and I definitely think it was worth the money. True, you could get the same info cheaper in paper, but it lacks the interactivity. That's what makes it worth the bucks.

My problem with the iPad is that I don't have TIME to do all the neat stuff I want to do with it! It's like the ultimate mobile tech smorgasbord!
  • Reply 28 of 109
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    I was saddled with serious buyer's remorse the few days after the WiFi-3G purchase, but over time I learned in how many ways it is NOT a big iPod Touch, and got over the remorse.

The ease of reading books and the fact that I don't have to keep buying bookshelves to store them in. (OK, at 43 my reading vision is going quickly and so it helps to play with the font size). Reading a book with an iPhone isn't the same. Using both iBook and Kindle.

I'm a weather geek, so Wundermaps is a godsend. Google maps too.

Love driving and racing, so the racing games are too sweet! (just ask my brother who commandeers it every time he's over.) Wolfensteing 3D is also very cool.

The calendar is righteous, especially when synced with MobileMe. iPhone and iMac are all up to date and at a moment's glance I can see where I need to be or what's coming up. Especially dig the formatting.

Pages is cool for journaling while at Starbuck's.

Netflix/iTunes are good for catching a movie while traveling or just hanging out, and they look good too.

Lastly, on-line access is a snap. I have a MBP for mobile working, and getting online with Verizon is a hassle. The iPad is instant on, wi-fi or 3G.

I have different tools for different uses. They're all good.

Haters will call me a fanboi. I call myself a satisfied customer.

Edit:

I see a bunch of us responded to extremeskater. Special thanks to that troll for allowing us the opportunity to extoll the virtures of the iPad. Sounds like we're all satisfied customers.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I see a bunch of us responded to extremeskater. Special thanks to that troll for allowing us the opportunity to extoll the virtures of the iPad. Sounds like we're all satisfied customers.

The iPad is great. So great that I now ONLY use my Mac for work. I use my iPad for everything else. I lie in bed and play games, watch movies, read books, listen to music, and surf the web.

My Macbook AND iPhone have both taken a backseat to my iPad. Despite what he's claiming, it's good for everything that I consider fun.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

lol, that's like saying a bike isn't good for anything except for riding it.

Well it won't mow your lawn, so what's the point?

I've been using my iPad for probably an average of 2-3 hours a day since Day One, and travelled with it for ten days. I'll never lug a laptop again, Apple willing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I lie in bed and play games

Are you sure you wanted us to know that?
  • Reply 31 of 109
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah and my mac pro doesn't cut it for steam cooking...

i have a quad G5 sitting around that might fit that bill!
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well it won't mow your lawn, so what's the point?

Something along the lines of "no sh*t, that's what it was designed to do."
  • Reply 33 of 109
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Wurm5150: Your post is almost identical to what I want to say. I am particularly interested in the ability to do presentations via projector from something seriously smaller than a laptop.

I'm a contract programmer and many of the places I work have tightly controlled and monitored networks. Often, I can't bring my own laptop into the facility and I never connect my laptop to such a network. I anticipate using the 3G iPad during lunch and other break times in those places where I can bring it in bypassing these networks.

There are many times when I want to perform server related management and website maintenance when away from home. Carrying a Dell laptop around, just in case, proved to be unmanageable a long time ago.

The iPad works for me and I feel fine spending the money to get an one for these purposes.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Pity the poor Foxconn workers who are going to be driven even harder to make up for low inventory. Too bad China doesn't have unions. Real ones I mean.

Don't worry about them. They are just replaceable parts. More, more, MORE! Dance like you mean it!!

(this post not to be taken seriously... I'm serious!)
  • Reply 35 of 109
    this is great news for apple. the ipad is great, for education, business, or for grandparents. other than that, why spend the extra cash? never buy first generation of any product! i worked at apple, genius bar is great to find out exactly what's wrong with each generation of product. customers, stay away from 1st generation products! anyway, let's see what WWDC brings...
  • Reply 36 of 109
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    oops. forgot the quote...
  • Reply 37 of 109
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

But who was predicting that, even a few weeks ago?

Anyone who realizes the most expensive iPad is < than the least expensive Macbook.

These shouldn't surprise anyone.

What they fail to call on is the fact that even with the blow out results the MacBook, MacBook AIR, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro continue to grow quarter over quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:

hogwash. blather. humbug.

I still need my MacBook Pro for more processor intensive apps (Ableton Live, Logic, Final Cut, Photoshop, et al), but it hasn't left the house since I got the iPad. Meaning, to its usual destinations when I head out to a cafe or similar...

I get plenty of work done using the iPad. Writing, email, IM... It's actually better for quick note taking, sketching ideas, reading, and even browsing (but no, I'm not a Flash-aholic ... I never missed it on my iPhone either).

It has been immensely useful, and saves me having to lug a 5 pound clamshell laptop around just to do the basics. I can do some of those on the iPhone too, but the screen size has always been an issue for me.

So, I totally disagree with the notion that the iPad isn't "useful" beyond email and "partial browsing"...
  • Reply 39 of 109
    I originally meant to comment on the article, and got pulled into extremeskater's trollisms...

Yes, I've been saying that if Apple can meet demand, they'll sell well over 5 million of these in 2010...

That was before it was released, and at the time all the so-called analysts were saying *maybe* 1 ~ 1.5 million in 2010, and 3 ~ 5 million in 2011...

I thought they were seriously under-estimating.

Apple sold a million right out of the gate. It all comes down to how well they can ramp up supply heading into the 4th quarter... In the meantime I doubled my estimate. If they can meet the demand, they'll sell at least 10 million this year.

If the demand in the international market is any early indicator, they could even exceed that. They've got 7 months left, and they've already sold what... close to 3 million of them?

8 million might be yet another grossly underestimated number, mr. "analyst"...
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

hogwash. blather. humbug.

I still need my MacBook Pro for more processor intensive apps (Ableton Live, Logic, Final Cut, Photoshop, et al), but it hasn't left the house since I got the iPad. Meaning, to its usual destinations when I head out to a cafe or similar...

I get plenty of work done using the iPad. Writing, email, IM... It's actually better for quick note taking, sketching ideas, reading, and even browsing (but no, I'm not a Flash-aholic ... I never missed it on my iPhone either).

It has been immensely useful, and saves me having to lug a 5 pound clamshell laptop around just to do the basics. I can do some of those on the iPhone too, but the screen size has always been an issue for me.

So, I totally disagree with the notion that the iPad isn't "useful" beyond email and "partial browsing"...

Reading at the comments of this thread there are some very different usages so It will take some time for everybody to use a tablet for everything because of the different use-cases. For instance, I'll probably quit reading the news on MBP anytime soon, for others this might be gaming or Facebook. The questions are how long does it take, and what will make a user switch. And until a user reaches that point, he/she will barely see the value of tablet computing...and especialy the iPad.