Apple expected to sell 700K+ iPads overseas, beating the Mac

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

... Stoop to my level? On your best day you don't have 5% of my technical ability.

You know, your empty, egomaniacal boasting might carry slightly more weight if your were ever right about anything.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You know, your empty, egomaniacal boasting might carry slightly more weight if your were ever right about anything.

At least I post real life opinions based on using a product unlike most here that simply post nonsense about something they have never used. Or make comments like this with nothing behind them. The only thing empty is the space between your ears.

Maybe just once why don't you put some facts behind our comments instead of just commenting about how you dislike my comments. You know actually form an opininon for yourself.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This was discussed a month or so ago in this forum. Someone provided numbers for the Wii, Playstation, and xBox.

I believe that of all electronic gadgets, the iPhone 3GS was the fastest to 1 million sold. The iPad was #2.

I agree that the demand will be there, but I'm not sure that the production capacity is there to meet the demand. It appears that demand will exceed supply for quite a while. Considering that the holidays and back to school are still ahead of us, I suspect that there will be quite a few disappointed people come Christmas.

The reality is that you are completely incapable of understanding someone who is not a geek. No one ever claimed that the iPad was for everyone (except idiot trolls). The iPad serves a great niche both for people who don't have another computer but who has limited needs (typical user: my 80 year old mother) or for people who do have another computer but want a lightweight content delivery device (typical user, my daughter). And the market seems to be agreeing that the demand for this type of device is immense.

I really have to wonder what kind of psychological disorder creates trolls. It's not hard to understand someone who likes a product and wants to talk about their experiences. But to go to an Apple forum simply to pi$$ and moan about how you think a product is no good and to spend countless hours badmouthing a product that you would never buy (and are proud of saying you would never buy) clearly indicates some kind of psychosis. Maybe it's Narcissistic Personality Disorder (where the person believes that the world revolves around them and that nothing outside of their experience has any validity). Or maybe it's a Sadism complex with the need to inflict pain on others. Or maybe it's simply that you're incapable of dealing with change.

In any event, it's really sad so see how many people spend so much time spreading lies and FUD about products simply because they're not right for them. Sorry, but there are billions of people in the world and they are not all going to be like you. Thank goodness.

Typical AI post. I wonder what kind of disorder makes people bindly fall in love with anything Apple releases. Like I said to mouse at least my opinions are based on using a product not just blindly falling in love with anything Apple releases. Which is the case with most of you here. Do you even own an iPad?
  • Reply 104 of 109
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

At least I post real life opinions based on using a product unlike most here that simply post nonsense about something they have never used. Or make comments like this with nothing behind them. The only thing empty is the space between your ears.

Maybe just once why don't you put some facts behind our comments instead of just commenting about how you dislike my comments. You know actually form an opininon for yourself.

I post plenty of opinions on AI, most of which have nothing to do with you. (You really aren't the center of anyone's universe, you know.) But, you do have to admit, that your track record as a technology pundit is pretty poor.

Frankly, I think anyone who does not find the iPad is a remarkable and revolutionary device is either too locked in to a rigid idea of what "computing" is and ought to be (and the iPad does turn that concept on its head) or simply isn't able to get past certain biases (possible, in your case) to see it for what it is. Sure, one can justifiably pick a nit here or there, but, overall, it's a complete game changer, and, in fact, the experience is so completely different from an iPhone/iPod Touch that there is little, beyond raw technical similarities, that they have in common.

And, yes, I own an iPad WiFi+3G. Two in fact.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Okay lets go point by point.

You have to wait for your laptop to boot up? Thats funny have you not heard of sleep mode. You can put any Mac or for that matter any system in sleep mode and it take one click and your system is up.

Yes, I have a 17" AlBook and am quite aware... then, you must navigate through a series of windows to get to what you want.

Quote:

Well I still work at IBM installing operating systmes on Mainframes. Its a good job if you can get it.

Good for you. When I worked there it was the best job in the world.

Are you in DPD? What job title? What job level? When I left IBM (1980) I was a Consulting Market Support Rep for the Data Processing division. At the time there were 200 Consulting-level employees out of 450,000.

In 16 1/2 years at IBM, I never had a boss that made more salary than me!

Quote:

In regards to PC computers they were an advancement in technology, just because something is new doesn't mean its an advancement.

Conversely, just because something is established technology doesn't make it better technology.

The time this really hit me was some time in 1979 -- I worked in the IBM Palo Alto System center. Some people in our center were bringing to market (developing a market support infrastructure) for a semi-dumb color terminal (a follow-on to the 3270). They asked me to bring in my Apple ][ so they could test the terminal... here was a a terminal that rented for almost as much, per month, as the Apple ][ computer cost to purchase. BTW, one IBM division had developed this wonderful portable dot-matrix printer... it only weighed 60 lbs.

Quote:

If technology doesn't make things easier then its not technology. You don't make something to make what you are already doing harder. Lets use Blu ray as an example. When Avatar came out on dvd about half of the Blu ray players couldn't play the disk. So for those people that had to disconnect their player, plug it into their router and download a firmware upgrade, I doubt they thought Blu ray was an advancement in technology.

The iPad lacks a file system, multi-tasking, Flash support, its not easy to hold, slippery. So to wait an extra 3 seconds for my system to come out of sleep mode doesn't sound like a bad trade off.

The iPad has a File System, multi-tasking-- just not what you want! No Flash is a good thing, IMO, and, apparently, for lots of others (except techies and Flash developers). We have 2 iPads-- soon to be 3. For each I bought the Apple Case. It is a suede-like (pseudo-suede) material that is non-slippery. It protects the iPad, acts as an easel and makes it very easy to carry around in one hand. I do it all the time. Do you have a case/bag for your laptop... I do for mine, to protect it and to make it easier to carry. The iPad is much easier, though. You can easily walk around with the iPad in one hand while typing/touching with the other. Try that with a lap top... or using a laptop in bed!

Quote:

What has happened is the most users have become so dumb down that as long as they get get on facebook or go to cnn.com all their needs are met. The iPad is great for teens that only do social networks, listen to music or seniors. If you have even mid level needs the iPad does nothing for you.

That's your opinion. I program the iPhone and iPad, as well as use expensive image and Video editing software costing around $5,000 total.

There are some touch sketching and drawing apps on the iPad that make it easy to do things that cannot be done easily (or at all) on another platform.

Do you realize that an iPad can act as an additional screen to a desktop or laptop? So a Power User of, say, Photoshop can have all his tools on the iPad display, freeing up his other displays for the image being worked upon.

Not only that, the iPad provides touch input to the desktop or laptop. The Desktop apps aren't ready for multi-touch, yet... but I suspect they will be soon!

I don't consider myself to be dumbed-down. The iPad is great for me because it makes it much easier to do some of the things I need to do. Just as the iMacs make it easier to do the heavy lifting.

Quote:

Try and get a keynote off your iPad onto your Macbook, it doesn't make the process easier.

You have me there! I expect that the iWork apps (and file exchange/synching) will get a lot more robust within the year, After all, these are release 1.0 and are less than 2 months old. I think they are meant as place holders and to encourage developers (MS?) to write productivity apps for the iPad. Additionally, the iPad OS is a special OS version that was frozen so that the hardware and software teams were not chasing a moving target.

As the year unfolds, the iPad will be updated the mainstream OS. I suspect that Apple will have some (yet unseen) features in the iPads, iWork iPad, the Cloud/MobileMe, Mac OS X, iWork Mac OS X and iTunes that will mitigate the deficiencies.

Apple learned with MobileMe-- don't update everything at the same time.

Quote:

As always on this site most of the people don't even own or have access to the product so they are talking out their ass. They get pissed at me and defend Apple out of blind loyalty.

Maybe you have an iPad, if you do great then you can debate this with me, but for all the sheep that don't even use the product, just don't even bother posting because you have no clue what you are talking about.

I do, and I will!

I suspect that most people who post here that are pro-iPad have at least tried it!

Quote:

Its like Windows bashers that haven't used Windows in a decade.

The iPad is fine. Let me repeat that, the iPad as fine as long as you call a spade a spade. Its nothing more then a big iPod Touch. If you want an iPod Touch with a bigger screen and some extra Apps then its perfect. However lets not call it a computer replacement because it simply isn't.

The part of me that is set in my way is I only use things that improve upon what I am already using.

The fact that you call it a "big iPod touch" tells me that you've never really tried it, but have a pre-judged opinion.

Mmm... Is a desktop computer a Mainframe Computer replacement? A laptop? A netback? A smart phone? an iPod Touch? an iPad... For some people and some uses-- the answer to all of these is yes!

• Reply 106 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

No, you post your own baloney, unsupported by majority opinion, then attempt to pass it off as something everyone else is thinking. Which makes you not just wrong, but consistently wrong.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No, you post your own baloney, unsupported by majority opinion, then attempt to pass it off as something everyone else is thinking. Which makes you not just wrong, but consistently wrong.

God I thought you were finally gone. By the way do you even own an iPad to be commenting on this subject. Or are you giving bullshit advice again without using the product...[insult removed - Mr. H].
  • Reply 108 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

God I thought you were finally gone. By the way do you even own an iPad to be commenting on this subject. Or are you giving bullshit advice again without using the product.

You don't need to own an iPad to know it's a game-changer.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Over 2 million in 2 months. Yeah, I'd say that the iPad has changed the game.