Apple expected to sell 700K+ iPads overseas, beating the Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I like my iPad and have been using one since the day it was released no matter what the numbers are, it is still just a big iPod Touch that doesn't play Flash.

Also while it comes in handy at times I use my MBP 98% of the time. The iPad just doesn't really cut it for anything except web surfing and ereading.

Well, at least you were right that the WiFi+3G would be a huge flop.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Another application: I use my iPad 3G to listen on the go to a favorite FM station that's 900 miles away. I'll connect an audio cable from the iPad headphone jack to the auxiliary input of the car?s audio system. To make things even easier, I added an icon for the station's mp3 feed to the iPad?s home screen, so merely touching it connects to the station's live stream on the Internet. The iPad?s 3G connection seems more robust than the iPhone. Hooking the charging cord to a regular 12V iPod auto charger seems to provide enough juice to keep the iPad's battery from discharging, though I don't count on it for charging. It gives me the programming I want to hear and I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to Sirius.

Smart idea. Will try it out!
  • Reply 63 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Originally Posted by extremeskater

While I like my iPad and have been using one since the day it was released...

We were wondering where the typical haters and trolls had gone. Many speculated that they were off playing with their iPads. Seems they were spot on.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Seems they were spot on.

Apart from SpotOn.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It has copy/paste

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I think that was meant as tongue in cheek.

I've got most of the resident rolls on my ignore list. Fake trolling is cool however.
  • Reply 66 of 109
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OK message to all iPad happy campers .. do yourselves a favor, go buy lots of AAPL. If you already have some, go buy some more Let's see Apple overtake Exon Mobile next. Who wants to be number two?

The market capitalization issue can be debated. Revenue and profit are something else. The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article that suggests Apple is closing in on Microsoft on those two benchmarks too. Projected revenue for MSFT in the fiscal year is 61.x billion, AAPL is 59.x billion. Either way you look at it AAPL is very close to MSFT in value, revenue, and profit. Who would have thought. No one is smirking about Steve Jobs being named CEO of the decade anymore. The trolling community here is apoplectic and sputtering nonsense. You know the trolls have hit bottom when all they have left is to call the people who buy Apple products ignorant morons. The market share straw man argument has blown up in their faces.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Smart idea. Will try it out!

I'll be interested to know how it works for you in your area. In the Chicago suburbs I've been getting very consistent streaming while driving except for very isolated dropouts 5-10 seconds in length. Generally the audio feed restores itself when that happens without my having to do anything. An exception when I was driving near O'Hare around 5 p.m., which I'm guessing was due to high local cellular usage. Okay signal at our daughter's house in the Ravenswood neighborhood, but I haven't tried it much in the Loop to offer an opinion.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Projected revenue for MSFT in the fiscal year is 61.x billion, AAPL is 59.x billion. Either way you look at it AAPL is very close to MSFT in value, revenue, and profit.

We know they are $7.5 billion ahead of MS (already) and only $50 billion behind Exxon in valuation.

As you stated, the projected revenue is pretty much even now and based on growth rates Apple is likely to best MS within a few quarters.

As a general rule, software makes a considerably higher percentage profit to revenue than hardware, but in grabbing the numbers to show that MS is still very far ahead of Apple on that front I discovered some interesting data.

The gap between their profits is closing in fast. Based on MS' stagnation and Apple's growth combined with the apparent success of the iPad this could happen much sooner than the 2 years I figured it would take based on my 2009 projections. Now that is crazy!

. . . . . Apple . . . . . . .Microsoft

Quarter ending Mar 2010. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. Revenue = $13.5 billion . . . Revenue = $14.5 billion

. .Profit = $.3.1 billion . . . .Profit = $.4.0 billion

Quarter ending Dec 2009. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. Revenue = $15.7 billion . . .\tRevenue = $19.0 billion

. .Profit = $.3.4 billion . . . .Profit = $.6.7 billion

Quarter ending Mar 2009. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. Revenue = $.9.1 billion . . . \tRevenue = $13.7 billion

. .Profit = $.1.6 billion . . . .Profit = $.4.4 billion
  • Reply 69 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

How come everyone is surprised Apple is selling more iPads than Macs? Look at the prices and you will know which one is going to sell more units of: the cheaper one, of course.

In Switzerland there was a sale on entry level iMacs for CHF 1'111.- instead of Apple's 1'449.- at MediaMarkt recently. They were sold out in less than 24h. I tell you, if Apple came down from the high margin horse just a little, they'd start selling even more units. The iPad is just another proof to that.

Just being cheaper doesn't mean it will sell more. The price point obviously makes it more affordable to a larger group of potential customers, but as many article on the subject have stated, for better or worse, the iPad isn't a must have device like a PC or phone.

It's an auxiliary computing device that many have found hard to justify or even imagine fitting into their lifestyle. I can name countless countless complaints that people have had. Some founded and some so completely off the wall I wonder how they were even able to use a computer to write their absurd comments.

Personally, it doesn't fit into my lifestyle since I use a 13" MBP as my main machine, but I also think it's going to be Apple second most profitable division, behind the iPhone, in short order. Out of the gate and they now are financially dominate in the tablet market with everyone scampering to follow their lead. On top of that they now control the majority of profits from PMP, PC and handset market*.

* As an aside, I laugh at the people who think Apple would trade all that by opening their OS to other PC vendors just to increase marketshare but killing their profits.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It also doesn't have a serial port, SCSI port, and built in flux capacitor.

Not forgetting floppy drive.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

He already said he could care less. I doubt he could care less, since he obviously doesn't care at all.

What I find funny is most of you that comment on my remarks don't even own an iPad or have them available to you yet. So much like Quadra does all the time you are talking about something you don't use, don't own and haven't a clue.

At least when I comment on something I either own it or use it on a regular basis so I can give an real opinion. Most of you are a joke with empty opinions.

Also why don't you give Solip a hard time for feeling the iPad doesn't fit his needs. Not like he has said anything different about the iPad.
  • Reply 72 of 109
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    Quote:

As for what I do, I work for IBM so clearly my needs are outside of what a average users might need.

Yes and I work for the AMES research centre, so my needs are outside of average as well.

I need a better water resitant case to keep all the shite off as I clean the crappers
  • Reply 73 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Yes and I work for the AMES research centre, so my needs are outside of average as well.

I need a better water resitant case to keep all the shite off as I clean the crappers

I think you might be out of luck. However if you dropped your iPad in the toliet I believe it would be just as functional.
  • Reply 74 of 109
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

Also why don't you give Solip a hard time for feeling the iPad doesn't fit his needs. Not like he has said anything different about the iPad.

Because "Solip" gave a clear assessment of why it wasn't right for him while allowing that it was a great device for those for whom it would fill a niche. You, on the other hand, seem to take some glee in trying to convince everyone that only an idiot would like it.

From your next post:

Quote:

However if you dropped your iPad in the toliet I believe it would be just as functional.

He sounds like an honest critic (fine).

You sound like a troll (sad and tiresome).
  • Reply 75 of 109
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adl999 View Post

Got mine (62gb + 3G) at 5:30 pm from PC world no queue then but sales assistant said it had been very busy in the morning - only four left after I got mine... Loving it btw although some initial registration problems and a long synch time and frustrated it won't charge from my 2007 MacBook Pro.

It may charge, when off, even if it says "Not Charging" when on. I know my 2007 Macbook can charge my iPad when off.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Because "Solip" gave a clear assessment of why it wasn't right for him while allowing that it was a great device for those for whom it would fill a niche. You, on the other hand, seem to take some glee in trying to convince everyone that only an idiot would like it.

From your next post:

He sounds like an honest critic (fine).

You sound like a troll (sad and tiresome).

Really? So when I said that I also own a MBP and a smartphone that wasn't a clear assessment?

Someone liking the iPad doesn't make them an idiot as long as they understand what they are buying, what it has to offer and its limitations.

The second comment was a joke in response to what I thought was a joke. Grow a sense of humor.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Originally Posted by extremeskater

While I like my iPad and have been using one since the day it was released...

We were wondering where the typical haters and trolls had gone. Many speculated that they were off playing with their iPads. Seems they were spot on.

Compared to the typical fanboy you just plays with himself. Sorry that you had to take your hands way to post.
  • Reply 78 of 109
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

Compared to the typical fanboy you just plays with himself. Sorry that you had to take your hands way to post.

...and you wonder why people don't like you!
  • Reply 79 of 109
    Extremeskater seems to have avoided the question and pretty much fallen down into switch and bait with casual abuse.

Anyway.. I accept that your non disclosed usage of computing devices may not find much use for an iPad. You maybe a .net programmer glued to the screen, or a video editor or designing 300dpi+ multilayer print jobs or a 3d animator. It's concievable that you are a balanced fellow and don't spend the non work part of your life at a screen.

That said, if you have experience then you can also see it's strengths, but for some reason you just feel like being negative.

I've not seen or used one yet but from observing my changed usage and that of others with an iPhone (not much else to call a usable smartphone in oz) it's bleedingly obvious how interesting the iPad will be.

I do plan on getting one and with it i know that along with everything the iPhone has taken away from my desktop (mini server) and laptop (17" MBP unibody) I will be adding most word processing, spreadsheets, database entry and calendaring. All that will be left will be dev work. In my case that will be heavy photo work, print design and video editing.

Even having not seen an iPad I am already recommending it in my consultant capacity and the obvious desktop/iPad combo. It is killer across a wide range of industries from server admin to doctor. I will be using it in a business venture to stock take, handle membership, seating plans, present, do email, book acts, manage the online presence and more. I look forward to 2011. Accessories will be out, wired network adaptors, storage, card adaptors and more.

Apple has gone back to the days when companies made computing platforms instead of trying to jam everything into one. It's an important milestone in that respect, it wasn't long ago that people were howling about companies being distracted by feature adding, iPhone OS is refreshing in this way, it allows the soft/hard devs space to make money from extending the device.

Another more loathed milestone is that the iPad is the first true computing appliance, it's designed for usage not just a workstation that happens to cobble on whatever. Now we finally have three classes of computing device, the server, the workstation (mobile or desktop) and the terminal. True personal computing is the majority of what is done these days. Long gone are the falsely presented romantic days when if you wanted the box to do something you had to write yourself.

Personal computers, PC's are anything but. They were the rise of the workstation branded as a personal computer to segment the market for business/home. Workstation class computing has a very important role in content creation (Of all types) but the reality is most users are not content developers.

The even more real truth is that most commentors aren't developers of content either, they pose as such but in the main they are script kiddies, or simply users puffed up cause they know how to overuse filters in Photoshop or learned Flash at school and can't use anything else because sadly they aren't IT savvy. They crap on all right though.

I for one am grateful for the emergence of true personal computing devices, not scared of it. A true IT savvy person would be aware of the waste of resources and useless complexity that the current workstation class systems offer to achieve quite basic communication and consumption tasks. Such a person, maybe a sys admin would be cheering at how they might implement iPads due to their instant configure, quick wipe, easy lock down, hardened firmware, simple to write corporate access apps, baked in exchange blah blah blah. They would be able to see how using such devices company wide will reduce help desk calls, downtime, service requirents, soe testing and lots more.

Alas, I'd have to deduce that extremeskater is at the script kiddie level. Enough knowledge to be mildly troublesome and need to have IT fap competitions to prove themselves but not actually very useful or able to think outside their small box provided to them via learning a few applications at college.

Show us your IT wisdom not your troll twaddle. Show us you can think outside your own trumped up super user facade.

30 years of IT/media up my sleeve bud. My first computer had a flashing cursor, thank f..k for the iPad, I'm tired of having to be some kind of freak just to read the news or type a letter. Let's me relish the actual times I do hard core dev stuff, the rest of the time I can just get on with the task. Perhaps the computer is about to become an actual tool, not just a foundry for making tools.

/end story time for the trolls
  • Reply 80 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Not forgetting floppy drive.

The SCSI port made me laugh! I have SCSI cables that weigh more than the iPad... I suspect a SCSI terminator weighs more than an iPhone!

An S-100 bus would be nice though, then we could throw in some Dazzler cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromemco_Dazzler