Apple expected to sell 700K+ iPads overseas, beating the Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    well the rumour running around Australian blogs is that 70K went out the door yesterday (launch day) and all physical stock in stores were gone in around 2 hours.

10 million is achievable and now likely. I think John Dvorak will owe Leo Laporte a nice bottle of wine.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    adl999adl999 Posts: 9member
    Got mine (62gb + 3G) at 5:30 pm from PC world no queue then but sales assistant said it had been very busy in the morning - only four left after I got mine... Loving it btw although some initial registration problems and a long synch time and frustrated it won't charge from my 2007 MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adl999 View Post

Got mine (62gb + 3G) at 5:30 pm from PC world no queue then but sales assistant said it had been very busy in the morning - only four left after I got mine... Loving it btw although some initial registration problems and a long synch time and frustrated it won't charge from my 2007 MacBook Pro.

Charge it from the charger supplied. It is a known fact it requires more juice than many USB connections supply but man it charges fast.

BTW Once you get used to not having to hit shift after a full stop for caps it screws you up on the Mac lol. I hope Apple offer the same feature in the full OS X soon.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

well the rumour running around Australian blogs is that 70K went out the door yesterday (launch day) and all physical stock in stores were gone in around 2 hours.

10 million is achievable and now likely. I think John Dvorak will owe Leo Laporte a nice bottle of wine.

Can't be true ... remember ... Apple is Doomed™
  • Reply 45 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The iPad is great. So great that I now ONLY use my Mac for work. I use my iPad for everything else. I lie in bed and play games, watch movies, read books, listen to music, and surf the web.

My Macbook AND iPhone have both taken a backseat to my iPad. Despite what he's claiming, it's good for everything that I consider fun.

OK message to all iPad happy campers .. do yourselves a favor, go buy lots of AAPL. If you already have some, go buy some more Let's see Apple overtake Exon Mobile next. Who wants to be number two?
  • Reply 46 of 109
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

10 million is achievable and now likely.

Actually 10 million looks conservative now, since we're counting internationally. It might sell 15 million by the end of the year!
  • Reply 47 of 109
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabletwise.com View Post

Reading at the comments of this thread there are some very different usages so It will take some time for everybody to use a tablet for everything because of the different use-cases. For instance, I'll probably quit reading the news on MBP anytime soon, for others this might be gaming or Facebook. The questions are how long does it take, and what will make a user switch. And until a user reaches that point, he/she will barely see the value of tablet computing...and especialy the iPad.

THERE'S NO RIGHT WAY OR WRONG WAY WITH THE iPAD. As far as use, It'll never be known for one way or another. People will use it differently than others. I guess that's what makes it great. I was laughing when Jobs said it's magical. I didn't think I will have any use for it but then I tried and found way more things to do with than I ever thought I would. Now I'm beginning to think Steve wasn't exaggerating about the magical thing.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Gee, a brand new gadget that costs about half the price of a Mac outselling Macs? NO WAY!
  • Reply 49 of 109
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    YES Way!

Still using Mine 16gb WiFi version bought on day 1 and still loving it just like I did on the very first day....

Also, I have to recommend ppl trying Atomic web browser, I love my tabs....

(sent from my iPad)
  • Reply 50 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Thing is, even Apple couldn't have seen this coming.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's pretty much how I'd expect it be used. Especially from a "techie" person who uses a notebook as their main machine.

For the couch while watching TV, at the breakfast table, traveling, or simply lounging around it's quite ideal in design.

I have two friends that are moving from a MBP to an iMac as their next machine because the iPad fills their mobile gap so well. They get more machine than a notebook for less money so they see it as a win-win. Other, older people, I know that have and love the iPad already have desktops and don't really use them much so it already fills that void.

The iPad window between my 13" MBP and iPhone is too narrow for my needs right now, and I travel way too much to get a desktop anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple's desktop sales getting a nice boost as more people find the "Desktop PC + Tablet PC" option as a more optimal fit over just a "Notebook PC".

For those that would to take advantage of what a desktop has to offer (larger screen) then an iPad would be a good option. I am in the same situation as you, the iPad doesn't really fill a gap for me seeing I am always using my mobile and MBP.

The reality is I use it because it was given to our group at work. So if someone is going to hand me a 64gb iPad i'm not going to turn it down.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

For those that would to take advantage of what a desktop has to offer (larger screen) then an iPad would be a good option. I am in the same situation as you, the iPad doesn't really fill a gap for me seeing I am always using my mobile and MBP.

The reality is I use it because it was given to our group at work. So if someone is going to hand me a 64gb iPad i'm not going to turn it down.

Same here. The iPad is really cool for what it does, but I can't see myself being pried away from my MBP either.

If you want to send me your iPad, I will accept it though
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

What are your uses for the MBP? The logical conclusion to draw from your statements is that these uses make up 98% of your requirements. In other words, websurfing (non-flash sites) and ereading make up 2% of your overall interaction with a device with screens bigger than a phone.

Not saying that's impossible, but I'm curious to know

Actually I find my MBP easier and more comfortable to use compared to the iPad. But that is just my personal opinion. The iPad isn't the easiest to hold, its always feels like its going to slip out of your hand to a case is pretty much required. Also I just really don't find using an iPad that much easier then opening my 13" MBP. As for what I do, I work for IBM so clearly my needs are outside of what a average users might need.

When you are use to using a MBP and you carry either a BB or iPhone the iPad doesn't really fill a need.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's just a large iPod Touch that doesn't play flash... these numbers can't be true.

I forgot to complain about multitasking.

Not an AAPL shareholder, I see.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Six millions in 2010.. if not more.

Did you buy two and tapped them together to get multitasking?!

I could care less if Apple sells six or six million. I don't based my needs on how something might sell.

I didn't buy the first one. My entire group was given iPads.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I didn't buy the first one. My entire group was given iPads.

Just goes to show ... people never appreciate as much what they don't pay for ...

Another application: I use my iPad 3G to listen on the go to a favorite FM station that's 900 miles away. I'll connect an audio cable from the iPad headphone jack to the auxiliary input of the car’s audio system. To make things even easier, I added an icon for the station's mp3 feed to the iPad’s home screen, so merely touching it connects to the station's live stream on the Internet. The iPad’s 3G connection seems more robust than the iPhone. Hooking the charging cord to a regular 12V iPod auto charger seems to provide enough juice to keep the iPad's battery from discharging, though I don't count on it for charging. It gives me the programming I want to hear and I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to Sirius.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I could care less if Apple sells six or six million. I don't based my needs on how something might sell.

Then why are you commenting in an article about how many iPads Apple expected to have sold?!

And no one said you should base your needs on how well something might sell.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Then why are you commenting in an article about how many iPads Apple expected to have sold?!

And no one said you should base your needs on how well something might sell.

He already said he could care less. I doubt he could care less, since he obviously doesn't care at all.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I think people are really waking up to what the iPad offers.

My current setup is iMac at home, MBP for when I'm away and iPhone for everyday. Now the MBP really does little more than surf the web and the odd Excel/Word file, I bought it as a device specifically to play iTunes content. Today I would certainly buy an iPad instead of the MBP I bought last year. It fills the web surfing, iTunes player and occasional office document that I suspect that it is all most consumers need (I accept that a lot of you here will be Pros). iPad will do all that without the hassle of copying files back to main computer. The problem with replacing the MBP with the iPad for me would be the overlap with the iPhone functionality - although being on Pay As You Go means I only pay when I want to - real use is £15 per 45days. At about the third or fourth gen of iPad my MBP will be elderly enough to be gracefully retired.

The second area I think the iPad will be a winner (perhaps not initially but later) is for the non-tech savvy relative (what's a flash dear?). I can see myself buying iPads for a couple of family members who don't have a computer, internet or even a landline at home. I'd register the device with a new iTunes account for them and then hand it over for use as web surfing, email, app, BBC iPlayer and iTunes content. Possibly combined with MobileMe they'll have iDisk and Calendar, Contacts etc backed-up too. O2 PAYG iPad is 3GB + unlimited WiFI for £15per month which is ample for light surfing and cheaper than home broadband (about £10pm landline + £15pm broadband).

EDIT: I see 3UK are now offering iPad data plans . £15 for 10GB per month or £7.50 for 1GB. 3UK have never openly sold the iPhone but they have sold the iPhone 3G to customers who were threatening to leave citing iPhone as the reason. They do sell the iPod touch 8GB as part of a package with their MiFi device.

I've never been on their network but the prices are good so I hope this stirs the other networks into a bit more competition on the iPhone contract front. The downside for me is the lack of WiFi on 3UK which for O2 is everywhere (The Cloud + BT Openzone).

EDIT2: Apple have dropped the cost of a microSIM on the AppleStore to £0.02 vice £0.20. Not a large cost admittedly but they are available free from the companies themselves.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    How come everyone is surprised Apple is selling more iPads than Macs? Look at the prices and you will know which one is going to sell more units of: the cheaper one, of course.

In Switzerland there was a sale on entry level iMacs for CHF 1'111.- instead of Apple's 1'449.- at MediaMarkt recently. They were sold out in less than 24h. I tell you, if Apple came down from the high margin horse just a little, they'd start selling even more units. The iPad is just another proof to that.