Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Comments

• Reply 121 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

Haha, you are so right Stevie. It's obvious that solipsism never took any kind of statistics course in his/her life. He/she can now stop with the heavy handed criticism.

I'll put my degrees and value up against yours any day if you think that growing from 1 unit in a quarter to 10k units the next quarter, for example, is more important than looking at the growth of a market as a whole and how everyone grew or shrank within that market to determine trends.
  • Reply 122 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'll put my degrees and value up against yours any day if you think that growing from 1 unit in a quarter to 10k units the next quarter, for example, is more important than looking at the growth of a market as a whole and how everyone grew or shrank within that market to determine trends.

Well obviously my biostatistics/epi course from medical school was better than what they taught at your place.

There are multiple avenues for analysis, you didn't need to add the 12 yr old part. That's all. Someone with all those advanced degrees should appreciate those nuances.
  • Reply 123 of 265
    Quote:

Well obviously my biostatistics/epi course from medical school was better than what they taught at your place.

I'll stick with the highly profitable and logical use of looking at the entire market to make my financial decisions. If you think looking at stats with blinders on is a road to understanding then you may want to ask for your education fees back. Next time, choose an accredited school, if there is one that will accept you.

Quote:

There are multiple avenues for analysis, you didn't need to add the 12 yr old part. That's all.

I did, because it's true. The metric he used is only valid within that company to show growth and has no barring with the market as a whole when stated as a percentage. He does this every time there is a post about the market and every time he discounts Apple or anyone's else gains. That's all.
  • Reply 124 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

There are multiple avenues for analysis, you didn't need to add the 12 yr old part. That's all.

I channel Nicola Tesla every night.

Beat that.
  • Reply 125 of 265
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Actually, that's good for android, 7% of 28 is more than 14% of 9.

over time, it means that the iPhone will have double the market share of android (ignoring all other factors), but that would be a significant erosion compared to the current ratio.

No. They both had equivalent sample sizes.

If each one has 1,000 interviewed users of both the iPhone and the Android your theory of course falls on it's face.

No survey asks the 80 Million phone users of x,y or z.

They have the same sample size.

Twice as many Android users sampled want to switch to the iPhone.

That is important for Apple and Google.
  • Reply 126 of 265
    Quote:

I'll stick with the highly profitable and logical use of looking at the entire market to make my financial decisions. If you think looking at stats with blinders on is a road to understanding then you may want to ask for your education fees back. Next time, choose an accredited school, if there is one that will accept you.

I did, because it's true. The metric he used is only valid within that company to show growth and has no barring with the market as a whole when stated as a percentage. He does this every time there is a post about the market and every time he discounts Apple or anyone's else gains. That's all.

Wow, I've never seen an "educated" person make so many off based assumptions about someone in one paragraph. What a waste.

Just to correct you, I'm not paying for school and it's a US MD program (not DO not Mexico). I got better things to do than troll, peace out.
  • Reply 127 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I thought so too.

Android will, but it will be a pyrrhic victory. Android is destined to be the default OS on cheap phones, a market segment unlikely to even care if it has Android or not. For these people, they will be happy with a dial tone and probably the ability to text and little more.

Wonder how many Android users even notice it's even running Android?
  • Reply 128 of 265
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wasn't Android supposed to leave iPhone in the dust?

In the gold dust.
  • Reply 129 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

In the gold dust.

Whaa?

• Reply 130 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Is there a secret to keeping interesting and informative discussions from descending into pissing contests? Just asking.\
  • Reply 131 of 265
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Is that like the N95 (and others), "blowing away" the original iPhone 3 years ago?

With it's 5 megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss lens... etc, etc.

I have never used the Nokia N95 or for that matter even seen one. So unlike alot of members here I can't speak about products I haven't used. However Solip also used the EVO for a bit and I would believe he would agree the 8 megapixel camera on the EVO is fairly impressive. As is the 1.3 webcam.

If you ever have a chance to use the Evo you would be hard pressed to find alot wrong with it.

My comments about the Evo isn't to take anything away from the iPhone I already stated in this thread the number are impressive and the iPhone is a great phone. What I was saying is based on the Android phones I have tested this buy far is the best and in my opinion the hardware is far better then the current iPhone. I also stated that could very well change next week.
  • Reply 132 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Android will, but it will be a pyrrhic victory. Android is destined to be the default OS on cheap phones, a market segment unlikely to even care if it has Android or not. For these people, they will be happy with a dial tone and probably the ability to text and little more.

Wonder how many Android users even notice it's even running Android?

Well said. Android: the Windows of the mobile OS world.
  • Reply 133 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

And in this case likely to change.

Right now they're excited about the form factor of the iPad, and today it's the only game in town in that regard. But by the end of summer there will be plenty of option available, and all devices but Apple's will be able to run many of the types of specialized apps those markets need because Apple is the only company in history to prohibit the proven cost-effectiveness of using cross-platform frameworks.

It's not the OS. They all have accelerometers, GPS, multitouch, etc., and most of them will have multi-tasking while Apple offers only what amounts to a game of Freeze Tag.

What matters is the apps. Jobs knows this, which is why he's making all these unprecedented moves to try to eliminate iPhone apps from profitably being deployed to any other OS. He has seemingly little confidence that Apple can sufficiently differentiate its product in an increasingly commoditized market, and instead is pushing to limit deployment options for app developers.

But for all his flailing, developers and their VCs will go where they can make the most money relative to investment, and where they don't face unusual risk of losing that investment every time Apple updates their SDK license: within a year we'll begin to see the effects of limiting developers' workflow options on vertical markets like medical, engineering, education, and many others.

In the meantime, those suffering from Stockholm Syndrome won't connect the dots between Apple's demonstrated untrustworthiness as a development partner and the downstream effects that lost trust has on developers. But it's coming just the same.

Gimme a break! Are there *any* profitable apps on other platforms?
  • Reply 134 of 265
    Quote:

Well this is really the kicker.

What happened to that "superphone" of Google's? The two phones that were supposed to spank the iPhone were the Droid and the Nexus One. And . . . nada. Nothing. Just a lot of bullet lists of "features" and marketing bluster. And now there's yet another one, the EVO-something or other, that will again be in the iPhone's shadow.

Fact is, no one, but NO ONE, is able to achieve the synergy - that elusive and rare sweet-spot between hardware and software - that Apple can. Why? Because Apple approaches tech at large from an entirely different angle. The kind of thinking that goes on in Cupertino is completely different and of a whole magnitude more focused on specific goals and principles than what goes on anywhere else. Hence, the iPad. No one dared to pull off such a move - and succeed - but Apple.

It isn't about the best camera.

It isn't about the fastest processor.

It isn't about the brightest screen.

It isn't about any one, single "feature."

Quadra the only spot is the softspot that is directly between your ears. Yet again you have never even touch these phones yet commenting on hardware and software you don't even have a clue about.

Its actually about all of the above. And every pretty much agrees that the Android market will pass the iPhone.

For you its all about fanboyism, about being #1 or having the #1 product.
  • Reply 135 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

However Solip also used the EVO for a bit and I would believe he would agree the 8 megapixel camera on the EVO is fairly impressive. As is the 1.3 webcam.

The stated specs are impressive, but as previously stated I wasn't able to see how well the images stacked up on a proper display. We all know that megapixels are great for marketing but they are from the only aspect of a camera that makes it a good camera.

For an Android phone, it's the best I've played with, but Android is still lacking in the key aspects that make iPhone and Blackberry owners love their devices. I'm not sure this can change unless a vendor follows suit by making a streamlined ecosystem for their HW that just happens to be based on Android.
  • Reply 136 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Well this is really the kicker.

What happened to that "superphone" of Google's? The two phones that were supposed to spank the iPhone were the Droid and the Nexus One. And . . . nada. Nothing. Just a lot of bullet lists of "features" and marketing bluster. And now there's yet another one, the EVO-something or other, that will again be in the iPhone's shadow.

Fact is, no one, but NO ONE, is able to achieve the synergy - that elusive and rare sweet-spot between hardware and software - that Apple can. Why? Because Apple approaches tech at large from an entirely different angle. The kind of thinking that goes on in Cupertino is completely different and of a whole magnitude more focused on specific goals and principles than what goes on anywhere else. Hence,

It isn't about any one, single "feature."

So, is android becoming to the phone industry what Windows is to the PC world? You have hardware and software developed in two different locations, resulting in a subpar user experience. Like with PCs, I've noticed that many competitors are trying to compete with the iPhone by highlighting their faster processors, larger screens, and cheaper prices(2 for 1 deals), but have failed to realize that the OS is actually the differentiator, not the hardware. I saw a test performed on Gizmodo(I think) where two recent Android phones were matched against last years iPhone, and despite having faster processors and more RAM, both phones either matched or performed slightly worse the iPhone - negating the "superior specs". I've also seen tests where other phones have had higher MP cameras yet their pictures still paled in comparison to the iPhone's.

Am I spot on or clueless?
  • Reply 137 of 265
    Quote:

The stated specs are impressive, but as previously stated I wasn't able to see how well the images stacked up on a proper display. We all know that megapixels are great for marketing but they are from the only aspect of a camera that makes it a good camera.

For an Android phone, it's the best I've played with, but Android is still lacking in the key aspects that make iPhone and Blackberry owners love their devices. I'm not sure this can change unless a vendor follows suit by making a streamlined ecosystem for their HW that just happens to be based on Android.

With the iPhone I would agree with your comment about loving their devices. But I see and know alot of BB owners that are dumping the BB for the more consumer geared Android phones.

Or for that matter dumping the BB for an iPhone. I think that is why RIM tried the Storm and is still trying to get it right because they need a more consumer geared phone.

As far as the Android phones have you ever tried the Nexus One that is the only one I have never tried. Dont' know anyone that works for Tmobile...lol
  • Reply 138 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

So, is android becoming to the phone industry what Windows is to the PC world? You have hardware and software developed in two different locations, resulting in a subpar user experience. Like with PCs, I've noticed that many competitors are trying to compete with the iPhone by highlighting their faster processors, larger screens, and cheaper prices(2 for 1 deals), but have failed to realize that the OS is actually the differentiator, not the hardware. I saw a test performed on Gizmodo(I think) where two recent Android phones were matched against last years iPhone, and despite have faster processors and more RAM, both phones either matched or performed slightly worse the iPhone - negating the "superior specs". I've also seen tests where other phones have had higher MP cameras yet their pictures still paled in comparison to the iPhone's.

You've more or less got the game figured out.

Well done.
  • Reply 139 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

So, is android becoming to the phone industry what Windows is to the PC world? You have hardware and software developed in two different locations, resulting in a subpar user experience. Like with PCs, I've noticed that many competitors are trying to compete with the iPhone by highlighting their faster processors, larger screens, and cheaper prices(2 for 1 deals), but have failed to realize that the OS is actually the differentiator, not the hardware. I saw a test performed on Gizmodo(I think) where two recent Android phones were matched against last years iPhone, and despite have faster processors and more RAM, both phones either matched or performed slightly worse the iPhone - negating the "superior specs". I've also seen tests where other phones have had higher MP cameras yet their pictures still paled in comparison to the iPhone's.

Lets remember the iPhone is going on its 4th Gen. Many of the Android phones are first generation phones. So many of them are going to fall short.

The user experience with many of these Android phones is very good considering they are first generation phones and a second gen OS. A few years from now it could be a totally different ball games when it comes to Android.
  • Reply 140 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Lets remember the iPhone is going on its 4th Gen. Many of the Android phones are first generation phones. So many of them are going to fall short.

Google's had nearly four generations of iPhones to look at and play with. When do they plan to bring their platform out of beta? Hell, Schmidt was THERE for nearly the entire time.

Know why they *really* fall short?

Different (and wrong) priorities.