Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Comments

• Reply 101 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

I doubt that will happen, both for the reasons Reich argued for and the more basic one that antitrust rules have never been previously applied to any company which doesn't control at least 40% of the market. Apple said three weeks ago that they currently have only 16.1% of the mobile market.

It depends on which market you are looking at. My recollection is that they are looking into the music download market and the market for mobile device software.
  • Reply 102 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Apple doesn't need market share, based upon any piece of statistic, to be great, hugely profitable, and sustainable.

Well said. I think Apple has clearly demonstrated the benefits for their shareholders of their "boutique" approach. Even some of the more ardent Apple fans here suggest Apple won't be the leader in the mobile market forever, and I would agree that falling back to a #3 slot won't prevent them from continuing to enjoy some of the highest margins in the industry.

As long as Steve Jobs is alive Apple will make good money, and as long as Jonathan Ive stays with the company they'll keep turning out good products, even long after Steve is gone.

As a shareholder, I like that. And as a developer, I share your appreciation that we have lots of other great options as well.
  • Reply 103 of 265
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I will question your use of the words "you're" and "your." You got them both wrong. In each of the first two cases you should have used the other. Learning how to spell enhances the credibility of your communications.

It would appear that I, indeed, screwed up. Bad proof reading on my part ... guess I need more coffee. The correction, on your part was very helpful, ... the sarcasm ... not so much.
  • Reply 104 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It depends on which market you are looking at. My recollection is that they are looking into the music download market and the market for mobile device software.

Interesting. I hadn't considered those niches, but there may be some applicability there.

A stronger case than antitrust can be made for "restraint of trade" with regard to dictating developer tools.

But even then, as Reich argued I'm not in favor of seeing a federal action against Apple while so many crooked bankers are still walking free. Much bigger fish to fry.

It would be far more interesting to see a class action suit against Apple from all the developers affected by their restraint-of-trade practices. I'd wager such a case is being discussed as I write this in some circles. I'd also wager a quiet bounty has been offered for the Apple employee willing to disclose the alleged email that had the SDK team sit on the release of v4 until two business days before Adobe's big CS5 splash. Such an email will be worth many times whatever bounty is paid for it.
  • Reply 105 of 265
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    The thing to remember, though, is that networks have been throwing Android devices at people -- two for the price of one -- and I wonder how many people in this survey only got an Android device because of this offer.
  • Reply 106 of 265
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    One hundred and fifty carriers across ninety countries doesn't seem too limited.

There's a whole world out there where the iPhone is doing quite well and most of those users couldn't care less what's in the SDK.

Quote:

Today Apple holds a lead with phone apps, but between their limited carriers, offering a single phone model, and the one-two punch to developers of SDK 4.0 and the growing number of arbitary AppStore purgings, we can safely expect that to level off within a year, ceding the majority of development investment to Android.

• Reply 107 of 265
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    [QUOTE=RationalTroll;1646904]Again with the personal attacks. And nitpicking screen names from a person who chose "solipsism"? Almost interesting.

/QUOTE]

You've replied to "newbee" but quote "solipism"? I see the trend, for you, continues.
  • Reply 108 of 265
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I'm surprised Microsoft still has such a large chunk.
  • Reply 109 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Google and their partners have yet to make one phone that will out-sell Apple's one or at most two models of the iPhone. They haven't managed that so far, which speaks volumes about the strength of Apple's position.
  • Reply 110 of 265
    [QUOTE=newbee;1646934]
    Quote:

Again with the personal attacks. And nitpicking screen names from a person who chose "solipsism"? Almost interesting.

/QUOTE]

You've replied to "newbee" but quote "solipism"? I see the trend, for you, continues.

Indeed I made a mistake with the user names. My apology. Thanks for catching that.
  • Reply 111 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,989member
    Gartner . . . Gartner . . . Oh, THAT Gartner:

Headline 2008: "Gartner denounces iPhone (again) and doubts the impact of Google Android"

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=605 (plus hundreds of others)

Yeah, they have a terrifically accurate analytic forecasting record. Not to mention biased (at least until the iPhone became an unqualified success). So they know what 2012 is going to be like? We'll see.
  • Reply 112 of 265
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both iPhone and Android users are extremely loyal to their brands. Nielsen found that 80 percent of iPhone users want their next device to run the same operating system. Similarly, 70 percent of Android users said they will stick with Android for their next device.

As I've stated many times before, this is the #1 reason why Apple needs to get out a Verizon iPhone, even if it's a CDMA-only version. If these stats hold, every 100 Android phones sold isn't a loss of 100 iPhone sales. It's 100 lost sales now, 70 lost sales 2 years from now when people upgrade, another 50 lost sales 2 years after that, etc, etc.

The relatively small cost of creating a Verizon iPhone outweighs those lost sales.
  • Reply 113 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,989member
    Quote:

I doubt that will happen, both for the reasons Reich argued for and the more basic one that antitrust rules have never been previously applied to any company which doesn't control at least 40% of the market. Apple said three weeks ago that they currently have only 16.1% of the mobile market.

Oh no, here we go with the Nazi analogies . . . what? . . . oh, THAT Reich.
  • Reply 114 of 265
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Is that like the N95 (and others), "blowing away" the original iPhone 3 years ago?

With it's 5 megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss lens... etc, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What you are saying is all true. Apples numbers on the iPhone are remarkable, however it looks pretty clear that Google is not only making a very good OS with Android but the Android based phones are really getting good. Phones like the Evo and Incredible are really solid HTC phones. I used the EVO yesterday for about an hour and it was by far the best Android phone I have ever used.

Blackberry is going to be hurt by Android and I simply don't see Windows mobile going anywhere.

Like everyone I am not sure what the new iPhone will offer but at least in my opinion which of course is subjective the EVO blows away the current iPhone. That of course could change this coming week.

• Reply 115 of 265
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Interesting. I hadn't considered those niches, but there may be some applicability there.

A stronger case than antitrust can be made for "restraint of trade" with regard to dictating developer tools.

To make any kind of anti-trust case you would have to take the case against an actual monopoly. Although I am going to make the point that they may be, soon.

A few points to make here. Android's growth - largely and only in the US - has been led by anti-Apple geeks, about 2% of the entire phone market, and people who got stuff for free on Verizons pans, and people who dont know anything about phones.

About 35% of Android phones use 1.5, and - heres the rub - 2.2 needs about 256 M of RAM. That will be a high end phone. Mass market Android phones cant afford the RAM necessary for 2.2. Menwhile OS 4.0 can run on the 3G and 3GS.

I dont hink Apple wanted to become the dominent force in the smart phone world, but I think they may now - to win against Goggle and to prove that the vertical model can win. I think it can, and I think it should.

If, at the WWDC, Apple announces that it is not discontinuing the 3GS but reducing it's price and keeping the margin on the 4G instead. A recent Guardian article suggested that the iPhone will come in three sizes, the 3GS with 8 or 16G ( HD) and the 4G with 64G. Clear blue water to encourage high-spenders to keep on the 4G. That is the same as the iPod mini which, if you know your history, really gave the MP3 market to Apple..

Then, of course, the iPod touch will also get some sort of high end and (cheap) low end touch, and all will run OS 4.0. The number of phones ( or devices) running iPhone OS 4.0 will dwarf 2.2

Then Apple move to Verizon with their cheap iPhones. They can lock down this market in the US within a few years.
  • Reply 116 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google and their partners have yet to make one phone that will out-sell Apple's one or at most two models of the iPhone. They haven't managed that so far, which speaks volumes about the strength of Apple's position.

I had not looked at it that way until now. Apple is in third with a single phone. That's pretty damn amazing.

I'm now wondering how many different phones are running Android right now. And how can this single device by Apple trump them all?

Am I correct, or do I have it wrong?
  • Reply 117 of 265
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

You come too short. They have 28% with one phone, and on one carrier. Once they rectify that they will become a monopoly.
  • Reply 118 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Oh no, here we go with the Nazi analogies . . . what? . . . oh, THAT Reich.

Yeah, no example of Godwin's Law here, just Robert Reich (a good read, IMO, making some solid arguments against federal action against Apple):

http://robertreich.org/post/57211206...-big-banks-are
  • Reply 119 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Likely it is because your 12 year old is not capable of more sophisticated analysis.

It would be unremarkable, for example, if a product went from 76 to 78 percent of a market. But if a new product goes from, say 8, percent to 10 percent, it shows something much more significant.

If you stop your analysis at "they are both 2%", without thinking any further, then you miss much.

Haha, you are so right Stevie. It's obvious that solipsism never took any kind of statistics course in his/her life. He/she can now stop with the heavy handed criticism.
  • Reply 120 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I had not looked at it that way until now. Apple is in third with a single phone. That's pretty damn amazing.

I'm now wondering how many different phones are running Android right now. And how can this single device by Apple trump them all?

Well this is really the kicker.

What happened to that "superphone" of Google's? The two phones that were supposed to spank the iPhone were the Droid and the Nexus One. And . . . nada. Nothing. Just a lot of bullet lists of "features" and marketing bluster. And now there's yet another one, the EVO-something or other, that will again be in the iPhone's shadow.

Fact is, no one, but NO ONE, is able to achieve the synergy - that elusive and rare sweet-spot between hardware and software - that Apple can. Why? Because Apple approaches tech at large from an entirely different angle. The kind of thinking that goes on in Cupertino is completely different and of a whole magnitude more focused on specific goals and principles than what goes on anywhere else. Hence, the iPad. No one dared to pull off such a move - and succeed - but Apple.

It isn't about the best camera.

It isn't about the fastest processor.

It isn't about the brightest screen.

It isn't about any one, single "feature."