Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

1679111214

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Of course Android will pass the iPhone's OS as it is only installed on a single phone. My question is, will any one of the many devices running Android ever have the kind of success enjoyed by the iPhone?



    Probably. I'd wager, for example, that certain Windows computers outsell all the various Macs put together. Eventually, if trends continue, who knows what will happen in the phone market?
  • Reply 162 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post


    While I enjoy some of Apple's products, I'm leaving the iPhone behind. As an original iPhone owner, I've enjoyed the phone for the last 3 years and will be the first to say that it revolutionized the mobile industry. However, I'm not to happy with Apple's business strategies lately. Their walled garden, big brother attitude. I had to jail-break my phone just so I could access the file system and load the software that I want to load on it. It kind of sucks that Apple takes the attitude of telling it's users what they can load on the phones they bought. And more importantly, controlling hard working developers such as myself.



    I've recently ordered a HTC Incredible from Verizon, which in NYC will allow me to actually make phone calls.



    The way that Android integrates social media into its OS better get Apple's attention. It certainly kills the iPhone in that respect.



    Apple can't tell me what apps that I can install on my phone just like I can't tell Apple what apps to sell on their store.
  • Reply 163 of 265
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Apple can't tell me what apps that I can install on my phone just like I can't tell Apple what apps to sell on their store.



    True. But no one can say that Apple and Steve Jobs isn't big on controlling content what they they feel your experience should be. Something like the lack of Flash on the iPad because SJ doesn't like Flash is a perfect example. Apple create an arena and then only allows you to play within the walls they create.



    Clearly many are willing to deal with that but lets not pretend that isn't the case.
  • Reply 164 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post


    So do you think it will eventually be on 90+% of the mobile phones out there?



    That is a real possibility. But just as Apple is doing quite well vis-a-vis Microsoft while a minority player in the desktop OS market, it is also a possibility that Apple will continue to do well by doing what they do: develop the next big thing ahead of the pack. Right now it's the mobile OS, but who knows what's next?
  • Reply 165 of 265
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Maybe, just maybe the general public has had enough of 'software company sells to any hardware maker' and is ready now for an integrated experience.
  • Reply 166 of 265
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post


    Probably. I'd wager, for example, that certain Windows computers outsell all the various Macs put together. Eventually, if trends continue, who knows what will happen in the phone market?



    And make a fraction of the profit in so doing.
  • Reply 167 of 265
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    In the end it doesn't matter so long as both make awesome phones that up the ante on other device makers. We all win then.



    I'm personally waiting to see if RIM can pull off an OS that comes up to speed with the iPhone. Or at least close to it.



    Been a long time RIM user so I'd like to give them a chance before I skip off to the competition.
  • Reply 168 of 265
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Apple can't tell me what apps that I can install on my phone just like I can't tell Apple what apps to sell on their store.



    mmmm... on the first part, unless you jail break it sure they can. On the second point, you got one out of two. Was this a game?
  • Reply 169 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Playing coy now, are we?



    Perhaps Stevie is, but it is also a fair question, and one that logically follows my post. See #165 for my answer.
  • Reply 170 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    True. But no one can say that Apple and Steve Jobs isn't big on controlling content what they they feel your experience should be. Something like the lack of Flash on the iPad because SJ doesn't like Flash is a perfect example. Apple create an arena and then only allows you to play within the walls they create.



    Clearly many are willing to deal with that but lets not pretend that isn't the case.



    It isn't that he simply "doesn't like Flash", as if no one else shared the same views. Flash has been a problem for a while now. Many consider it the bane of the internet.



    But it makes no difference anyway because you won't be responding to these posts, for obvious reasons. Quelle surprise.



    Yes, Apple creates an arena . . . and consumers and the rest of the industry want in, partly because it's the most cohesive consumer software/hardware environment on the planet. Apple's "walled garden" is precisely the reason for their success.
  • Reply 171 of 265
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Quadra the only spot is the softspot that is directly between your ears. Yet again you have never even touch these phones yet commenting on hardware and software you don't even have a clue about.



    Its actually about all of the above. And every pretty much agrees that the Android market will pass the iPhone.



    For you its all about fanboyism, about being #1 or having the #1 product.



    I don't agree with a word you say, why do you write as if you are blessed with clairvoyance? Try the old 'IMHO' approach and come off as less dogmatic eh?
  • Reply 172 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    True. But no one can say that Apple and Steve Jobs isn't big on controlling content what they they feel your experience should be. Something like the lack of Flash on the iPad because SJ doesn't like Flash is a perfect example. Apple create an arena and then only allows you to play within the walls they create.



    I don't believe for one second that Steve woke up one morning and decided he's going to hate Flash. As stated many times, he has asked Adobe on many occasions to provide Apple with a version of Flash that doesn't suck on a mobile device. Has Adobe delivered? No. If I owned Apple, I would have made the exact decision.



    If I was the creator of a revolutionary product like the iPhone, I would seek to provide the best user experience possible - abandoning Adobe is a step in the right direction.



    To you though, he's telling you what you can and can't do. To me, he's telling Adobe to pull their heads out of their asses. At the end of the day, if I couldn't live without Flash, I wouldn't buy the iPhone or I'd jailbreak it and try installing it - the decision is mine.
  • Reply 173 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Apple can't tell me what apps that I can install on my phone just like I can't tell Apple what apps to sell on their store.



    Actually, Apple has been outspoken against jail braking an iPhone and said that it voids the warranty. Sounds like Micro$oft speak to me.



    As a developer, I would never develop software for a client only to have an intermediary step in and say "sorry, we don't allow that software."
  • Reply 174 of 265
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I don't agree with a word you say, why do you write as if you are blessed with clairvoyance? Try the old 'IMHO' approach and come off as less dogmatic eh?



    No, he's blessed (or cursed, rather) with crass responses. That's some people's calibre, unfortunately.



    In any case, this entire thread seems like a monumental effort to spin positive news about Apple into something else. The thing is, it doesn't work because it has no basis in reality. On mindshare alone, Apple dominates the consumer tech landscape.
  • Reply 175 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    mmmm... on the first part, unless you jail break it sure they can. On the second point, you got one out of two. Was this a game?



    No. Apple reserves the right to conduct their app store how they deem necessary. If I have a problem with it, I either don't buy the iPhone or I jailbreak it and install what I want. Apple can't prevent either - it's my choice.
  • Reply 176 of 265
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post


    Actually, Apple has been outspoken against jail braking an iPhone and said that it voids the warranty. Sounds like Micro$oft speak to me



    True. However, I still reserve the right to do it. And while Apple may not approve, there isn't much they can do to prevent me.



    You can choose to take your skill set someplace else, that's perfectly fine by me - there are countless talented developers on the app store - AEB( as evidenced by) the over 200,000 apps available to me.
  • Reply 177 of 265
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post


    So am I conclude that iPhone users are older, smarter and richer?



    Personally I'm waiting for someone to spin it such that "The study found that both Android and iPhone users are mostly male, but those on Android are typically younger, less wealthy and less educated." is restated as "Android is the platform of choice for the young, dumb and poor". heh



    This is another limited report that is indicative of really nothing, just like that report claiming Android was well ahead of iPhone. These are just new headlines to try and sway people, but the data isn't really useful.
  • Reply 178 of 265
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What does jail breaking have to do with Microsoft?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post


    Actually, Apple has been outspoken against jail braking an iPhone and said that it voids the warranty. Sounds like Micro$oft speak to me.



  • Reply 179 of 265
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post


    Personally I'm waiting for someone to spin it such that "The study found that both Android and iPhone users are mostly male, but those on Android are typically younger, less wealthy and less educated." is restated as "Android is the platform of choice for the young, dumb and poor". heh



    Actually this does matter to app developers. They would want to know what platform is most likely to make them the most revenue. Who spends the most money.



    Androids are being sold BOGO or free with two year contract. This makes a difference on the demographics that purchase the platform.



    Quote:

    This is another limited report that is indicative of really nothing, just like that report claiming Android was well ahead of iPhone. These are just new headlines to try and sway people, but the data isn't really useful.



    The report simply said Android out sold the iPhone for a quarter. It was the spin placed on that information that really meant nothing.
  • Reply 180 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    What does jail breaking have to do with Microsoft?



    It's the overall idea of creating an environment and basically saying that if you want to play, you'll play by my (Stevie's) rules.



    I prefer the open source and open community that Google provides with its platform.



    Having said all that, I still think Apple makes some of the best stuff out there.
Sign In or Register to comment.