Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 241 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

you are correct i did run with that information. I also said where it came from and did not say it was pure fact.

Your post #49 in this thread not did not preclude this info with it's flawed source. You stated it as a fact instead.
  • Reply 242 of 318
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Could someone supply a reference that Apple said is caused by holding the device improperly?

An hour and a half later and nobody has shown any evidence that Apple stated that the cause was holding the device improperly.

The problem we have here is that most of the comments are hearsay. In fact, most of the complaints here are made by people who don't have an iPhone 4, including two of the most vocal anti-Apple members who have posted over 1/8 of the 240 blogs.

Perhaps an easier question:

Does anybody have any evidence that Apple will not fix the problem if there is one? Or for a company that continues to lead the industry in customer support and satisfaction, what historical evidence do you have to suggest that Apple will not make good on this issue?
  • Reply 243 of 318
    Quote:

An hour and a half later and nobody has shown and evidence that Apple stated that the cause was holding the device improperly.

The problem we have here is that most of the comments are hearsay. In fact, most of the complaints here are made by people who don't have an iPhone 4, including two of the most vocal anti-Apple members who have posted over 1/8 of the 240 blogs.

Here's one of many sources of the statement from Apple:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15380442

Quote:

The Cupertino company issued a more expansive statement to the one Jobs fired off: "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases

• Reply 244 of 318
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stedwick View Post

Plus, what the hell is so hard to understand about, "If you don't like it, just return it for a full refund"? Why on Earth do lawyers need to be involved? You can't sue a company into making products to meet your specifications.

Agreed. I don't know how the other carriers handle it, but AT&T has a 30-day grace period on all phones. Since the iPhone 4 has been out for less than a week, every U.S. owner is still eligible to return theirs.

FWIW, we have two in my household now (mine arrived yesterday!) and neither is affected by hand placement as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 245 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

But whatever the case, Apple's denial an issue exists is very troublesome.

Please supply a link.
  • Reply 246 of 318
    Quote:

Please supply a link.

See post 245 that has a link. That is pure denial. Please provide us a link from Apple that shows otherwise.
  • Reply 247 of 318
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Please supply a link.

I didn't past that. I was quoting ski1 from his post #227 here:

"If this was merely a a simple manufacturing defect, I would have expected Apple to have a response to this issue a long time ago. And Apple customer support is now telling customers a replacement phone will not fix their issue. It's obvious to me this issue is not a simple manufacturing defect, it's instead either a hardware (which I believe), or software flaw.

But whatever the case, Apple's denial an issue exists is very troublesome.

I think this iPhone shortage is a blessing in disguise. It will give potential iPhone 4 customers more time to absorb and become knowledgeable about this issue before making a purchase when they are finally widely available again."
  • Reply 247 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Here's one of many sources of the statement from Apple:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15380442

It doesn't say that it was because it was held IMPROPERLY

It was as statement of possible cause as evidenced by other similar devices, not of blame.

FWIW, here is another perspective that makes more sense that what is being said here.

FAQ: The iPhone 4 antenna flap http://www.macworld.com/article/1523...tenna_faq.html
  • Reply 249 of 318
    Quote:

It doesn't say that it was because it was held IMPROPERLY

It was as statement of possible cause as evidenced by other similar devices, not of blame.

Did you miss the below part ?

Quote:

avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band

Which is a place many people naturally hold the phone.
  • Reply 250 of 318
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Is your 3GS not working? Is it no longer being supported by Apple?

Sorry, Apple (or any company) has no obligation to force you use the latest version of their products.
  • Reply 251 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I'm not a lawyer; but this could be a case of false advertizing. I paid a penalty to leave Verizon (early temination) to switch to what a rational person would presume to be a fully functional cell phone. I now have a cell phone that does not function as a cell phone at my place of business - whereas my Verizon phone functioned perfectly.

Thus, my damages not only include missed phone and missed business opportunties, but my early termination fees (which I cannot recover) from Verizon. So, simply giving me my money back still leaves me financially punished. Hence, class action lawsuit.

You want Apple to pay your Verizon early termination fee? Sorry, this seems weird to me. You chose to break that contract. Also, you could have tested your iPhone for a few days before canceling your previous contract ... that's what I'm doing now, before saying goodbye to T-Mobile.
  • Reply 252 of 318
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Hyperbole won't get you anywhere. Several hundred apps??? I call bullshit.

Now to answer as if you reasonable said a couple dozen apps: If you move platforms, you move platforms. Anyone that has moved from Windows to OS X or Linux has had the same problem. It's a known hazard in technology. Was I pissed when Commodore quit making C64s and 128's? No, even though my software was not useful on any new machines.

So go back to your 3GS and deal, you were happy with the phone previously, it's just as good as it was before Steve announced the 4G.
  • Reply 253 of 318
    hodarhodar Posts: 360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

You want Apple to pay your Verizon early termination fee? Sorry, this seems weird to me. You chose to break that contract. Also, you could have tested your iPhone for a few days before canceling your previous contract ... that's what I'm doing now, before saying goodbye to T-Mobile.

I opted to keep my phone number, and simply port it over. When you are married with grandkids - it's far wiser to port your number rather than send a flurry of emails out (that never get read) and then have the kids wonder why they can't get ahold of you.

When you port; you have no option to 'try out' the iPhone - you switch and within minutes, the old phone is dead.
  • Reply 254 of 318
    hodarhodar Posts: 360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It is not all that obvious. We know that the white version is delayed because of manufacturing

problems. We also know that many phones shipped with the screen bonding substance insufficiently cured, causing yellowish blotches on some screens. We don't know how many lots of black iPhones were rejected, because of spot checks. We don't know how extensive and well designed the final tests were. Finally, a certain portion of all manufacturing runs makes it out the door with defects. We don't have accurate statistics on the prevalence of the issue for iPhones, so

we can't say with certainty that it is excessive.

I guess being a genius has it's drawbacks.

When you make a non-conductive finish, the out-going test would be a resistance measurement step prior to going into final assembly. You NEVER ever (EVER!) allow something like a human's 'opinion' ("Gee, it looks like it had that step taken") bypass a test. No, you scan the Serial Number and measure the resistance on a go/nogo basis. Measure resistance, if less than 100K ohms = fail.

That way, you now only KNOW that the bezels are coated, you know the measured value of the resistance and to some measure, the quality of the coating. If a passing value is 101 Kohms and you are consistently reading 500K - 1 Meg ohm - well, then you know you have a good insulation. If you consistently read 102K; then you know your process is marginal.

Pretty simple stuff, actually.
  • Reply 255 of 318
    Quote:

BTW, how many phones do you know that can drop connections, lower voice quality, and drastically lower data download speeds by simply touching one small spot on the phone with just one small fingertip ? And this small spot is where many people naturally hold a phone. It's because you are detuning the iPhone 4 cellular antenna by touching the wi-fi antenna at the same time. I believe this is a first for a cell phone due to Apple's antenna's design. It's not antenna attenuation that Apple wants us to believe.

The below article is very informative:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...like-this.html
  • Reply 256 of 318
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

apple is doomed

its mbp are pieces of recycled dell junk

its ipads are weak copies of kidle

its ipods never were as good as the zune // rio empire

and now a whole country has attacked apple

ireland o ireland

peace at any cost

F me brucep is in fine, fine form this past few days. I want that shit he's smoking, man. I want it bad.
  • Reply 257 of 318
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

F me brucep is in fine, fine form this past few days. I want that shit he's smoking, man. I want it bad.

Seriously. For a while I thought he was going mad, but now I realize it must be the pain killers.
  • Reply 258 of 318
    Quote:

I opted to keep my phone number, and simply port it over. When you are married with grandkids - it's far wiser to port your number rather than send a flurry of emails out (that never get read) and then have the kids wonder why they can't get ahold of you.

Understood, but you don't have to port the number right away. I still have my old number on my T-Mobile phone, and a new (temporary) number on the new iPhone. When I'm comfortable with the new service, I can port my old number over and cancel the T-Mobile account.

It may even be possible to port the number right away, but keep the old account open, in which case the number could be ported back again if the new phone doesn't work out. I did that once before, but I would check with the carrier first to see how they would handle it.

Well anyway, I hope this is helpful to others who haven't switched yet.
  • Reply 259 of 318
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You live with 3GS or lose your iOS apps. That's your options if you don't trust Apple to fix the problem. ITunes being a closed shop has always carried the risk that Apple could drop the ball down the line. You have gambled and lost.

Alternatively, you and everyone else who are having this problem (and if you read some message boards, I assume it's millions of people!) should take back your phones and wait. There is not a company in the world wont react quickly to falling profits.

Please explain how this is "millions of people" when Apple recently stated that they have only sold 1.7 million phones. Assuming they have sold another few 100k phones since that announcement, we have to then assume that every single phone user has complained to someone posting on the message boards. This is purely ridiculous. Could it be tens of thousands of users? Sure. Maybe even a couple 100k, but millions? Get real, and at least give your exaggeration a bit of a reality check first.
  • Reply 260 of 318
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

When you port; you have no option to 'try out' the iPhone - you switch and within minutes, the old phone is dead.

You don't have to port your number immediately. You get a number assigned to your new phone. When you want to port the number from your old phone to your new phone, you tell your new carrier to do it and they do it then.