Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 181 of 318
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I was able to duplicate the issue on every one of them. And I have seen very compelling videos of the issue be duplicated. And read articles from reputable authors reporting the issue. And I'm very disappointed in Apple's response to this issue so far. So, I'm in a holding pattern to see if this issue gets resolved soon.

For me, the issue is not that one can reproduce the phenomenon of making the bars do tricks by manipulating the phone, but rather, what does that mean? Does it change actual performance meaningfully? Some report it does, others report it doesn't. No, I don't have my 4 yet. It is on order. But I did fondle one at an Apple Store last week. It turned me on. I know because my bar went up.
  • Reply 182 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

For me, the issue is not that one can reproduce the phenomenon of making the bars do tricks by manipulating the phone, but rather, what does that mean? Does it change actual performance meaningfully? Some report it does, others report it doesn't. No, I don't have my 4 yet. It is on order. But I did fondle one at an Apple Store last week. It turned me on. I know because my bars went up.

For my testing, it did affect performance. It greatly slowed the data download rate.
  • Reply 183 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Lawsuits like this concern one thing and one thing only... money for the lawfirm. In a class-action the people eager to jump on board with hopes of collecting some kind of jackpot (also known as the "something for nothing" gambit) will ultimately collect a few pennies, while the legal firm collects millions. If you either like Apple's products or are a shareholder, you'd be better served by simply taking your complaint directly to Apple to resolve your issue(s). At worst, you'll get your money back, although if the problem is as they've claimed, a software update will iron things out. Don't believe for a second you'll be doing anyone other than the lawyers a favor by responding to these lawyers. Also, AI... WTF? We're you paid by this law firm to publish their contact information? That's a new low even for you guys.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner here!!
  • Reply 184 of 318
    Quote:

For my testing, it did affect performance. It greatly slowed the data download rate.

I believe you. But I also believe those for whom performance was not effected. Eventually we'll find out why both are right.
  • Reply 185 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Well Steve also said in an email to "stay tuned" and Mossberg said that Apple told him it would be fixed in a software update. To be honest, I don't know if a software update will fix it and I remain skeptical. I'm not willing to act like I know what the problem is and to assume I know more than Apple does about their phone.

If you re-read Mossberg's review, Apple told him the software update will fix a supposed inaccurate display of bars on the phone. Apple claimed the lower bars did not affect the actual performance of the phone. But yet Mossberg later said in his review that he did experience performance issues. As other people are reporting.
  • Reply 186 of 318
    Castrate the liars !
  • Reply 187 of 318
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can't possibly know it's not an issue in one out of every 5 iPhone 4's sold. 'Cause you don't know.

you either don't know how to read or just don't care to. I'll give you another chance to carefully read what i wrote.
  • Reply 188 of 318
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

If you re-read Mossberg's review, the software update Apple told him will fix a supposed inaccurate display of bars on the phone. Apple claimed the lower bars did not affect the actual performance of the phone. But yet Mossberg later said it did affect the performance of the phone. As other people are reporting.

There is an apparent contradiction in your post and it proves my point. We really don't know what the issue. None of us worked on the iPhone. If Steve says to "stay tuned" I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Apple has been fairly good to its users over the years. That being said, Apple has had a real communication issue over the past week.

This is of course not including inherent design flaws in the Cube and Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 189 of 318
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm definitely on the side of "this is a major issue". But in my opinion, this class action suit is not morally justified.

Give Apple a chance to make good or provide a refund. If they refuse to provide a refund for defective devices, then perhaps legal action is merited.
  • Reply 190 of 318
    Quote:

There is an apparent contradiction in your post and it proves my point. We really don't know what the issue. None of us worked on the iPhone. If Steve says to "stay tuned" I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Apple has been fairly good to its users over the years. This is of course not including inherent design flaws in the Cube and Mighty Mouse.

Where is my contradiction ? Apple has claimed there is no reception issue. And we just need to hold the phone differently, or get case. So what are we staying tuned for ? Apple is the one contradicting itself.
  • Reply 191 of 318
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Apple's official stance was "There is NO problem with the iPhone G4". For Apple to admit a problem, will mean that they will be fiscally responsible for several million dollars worth of faulty equipment. If Apple continues to follow the "No problem with the iPhone tract"; then the only way to force them to the table to address the issue, is legal means.

The smart response would be to neither confirm, nor deny an issue. Simply state that "Apple is looking into this". Then use this delay time to produce a iOS patch that corrects the issue (plus the issue of the face detection not working, such that you can easily turn on the speakerphone, mute function or hang up on your call if the phone touches your cheek during a call).

Very few products are launched without a single errata that is later corrected with an update.

i'm not debating your point, i'm agreeing with it. I'll give you another chance to actually address what i've said about the validity of e-communications as evidence.
  • Reply 192 of 318
    hodarhodar Posts: 360member
    Quote:

If you think it is the iPhone:

1. Why can't you wait two weeks in which there will be a software update?

2. Did you buy a bumper?

3.If the bumper doesn't work, and from all reports/videos it does, then you can always return it. I can't help you with the early termination fee but it's the price you pay when you're an early adopter without reading any reviews.

1. Because the iPhone G4 WAS tested and reviewed prior to release.

Now, a rational person would assume that Apple, having made several millions of phones, would be capable of making a G4 phone that met, or exceeded the cell phone functionality of previous generations.

If you bought a Honda/Toyota that arbitrarily stopped if you held the steering wheel a 'certain way' - would you accept that? Very likely you would be outraged - yet you tell us that actually have, and depend on a cell phone to 'cool off'. Seems a bit hypocritical, doesn't it? A cell phone is NOT a toy - it's a vital communications device.

We are not complaining that Angry Birds doesn't work on the G4 (however Dragon's Lair fails to show either the sword button or joystick icons). We are stating that the basic and most fundamental part of our device does not work as it should. We are further stating that the most basic testing should have reveiled this design flaw.

2. Did you buy a bumper?

Have you bothered to look at the backlog on bumpers? Here's a hint, order today and it MAY be shipped in late July. Yup, you can't buy a bumper today if your life depended on it - however there are several cases available through Amazon. Still, this is a work-around for a design flaw, and in now way fixes the design flaw.

3. Return the iPhone .... eat the costs

Unacceptable. Hi, sorry about that Honda/Toyota leaving you stranded in the boonies becuse you touched the steering wheel in the 'wrong way'. Sorry about the towing and maintenance costs ... but we will give you another car - however you are going to eat any problems you encountered due to the car leaving you stranded.

You would NEVER accept that from Toyota/Honda - why would you make a special allowance for Apple? Fanboi? A defect, is a defect. Apple knows this, that's why instead of being a 'man' and taking ownership of the problem, it takes a Class Action lawsuit to force them to do the right thing. Unfortunately, Apple is not alone in this behavior.
  • Reply 193 of 318
    Quote:

Where is my contradiction ? Apple has claimed there is no reception issue. And we just need to hold the phone differently, or get case. So what are we staying tuned for ? Apple is the one contradicting itself.

You can take Steve's off the cuff email for what it's worth. But I don't see it as the final and definitive response from Apple Corp on this matter.
  • Reply 194 of 318
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Oops! Misread your last two sentences. You're right that Apple has claimed no reception issue. I'm not defending the way Apple has handled this publicly but one can assume that "stay tuned" means that there is a fix coming. I can't guess as to whether it'll work but neither can anyone else.

As for getting a case, that might be a necessity after seeing how fragile the glass back actually is. There is something vastly different between the front and back in resistance to shattering.
  • Reply 195 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You can take Steve's off the cuff email for what it's worth. But I don't see it as the final and definitive response from Apple Corp on this matter.

But the longer they wait to officially address this issue in some fashion other then blaming the customer, the more this issue escalates.
  • Reply 196 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i'm not debating your point, i'm agreeing with it. I'll give you another chance to actually address what i've said about the validity of e-communications as evidence.

Google is your friend. Why do you suppose that Gov't entities spend millions preserving emails? Why do companies have email policies? Yup, email can, and has been subpeonaed as evidence.

What do you think brought down the Global Warming hoax? (Hint: emails). Why do companies like Intel have corporate policies of destroying emails afte 6 months? What do you think was the evidence the linked Intel kickbacks that barred AMD from competing in Europe?

Hint: emails have traceability, and the logs that substanciate the origion of emails are routinely called into the courts.

Don't believe me? Go to work, write a letter threatening a Gov't official, and see what happens. If you are right, why you have nothing to fear. If I'm right, you'll be fired, tried and imprisoned.
  • Reply 197 of 318
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Since we are talking about a lawsuit here, I would expect a judge would ask you just how many of your "several hundred iOS only apps" were bought after you upgraded to the 4? I can pretty much guarantee that you aren't going to be getting much judicial sympathy for have to "live with your 3GS".

I would agree with most of the other reasonable posts here. The phone has been out for less than a week. How about we give Apple a little time to devise a fix for the problem? Whether replacement units for those that might be defective, or free bumpers, or a software fix I don't see any reason to doubt that Apple will have some kind of fix shortly. This isn't some fanboi statement, just a matter of looking at Apple's history in dealing with product issues.
  • Reply 198 of 318
    Quote:

But the longer they wait to officially address this issue in some fashion other then blaming the customer, the more this issue escalates.

As I see it, the lawsuit grows exponentially. First off, the number of customers impacted by an upcoming (potential) re-call grows with every sale.

Secondly, and most importantly is the penalty phase. If Apple was made aware of a problem, yet persisted in selling products known to be defective - the penalty could be much higher than the cost of fixing the origional component.
  • Reply 199 of 318
    Quote:

No argument. As others have said, just a "We're working on it" might be more satisfying than "Stay tuned." But I don't think it would quiet all complainers.

No one wants a half-baked response that is rushed in order to get out ahead of critics.
  • Reply 200 of 318
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Thinking practically, in a class action suit, each of the participants in the lawsuit (think individual iphone owners) eventually (after 12-24 months) would receive an amount between $0.75 and $5.25 in a lump sum. But the law firm would receive millions, literally millions. That is why these lawsuits exist...not to promote fairness, but to promote income to firms which specialize in class action lawsuits.

And although I believe that there are some owners who do experience problems (new technology always has problems), experience with Apple indicates that if enough of us simply complain to Apple, the glitches will be fixed in a reasonable length of time.

Golly...it is still the best phone on the market...unless you just want to hate Apple.