Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 281 of 318
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

So now you are claiming that memo is not real. Fair enough, possible. But go the official apple forums. Their customers are claiming they are receiving the exact same response as stated in this memo. Made up stories and posts too ? Possible. But there is enough writing on the wall for me.

That is great that that is enough for you.........

I too experience the signal loss issue with my 4G. BUT based on what is coming from Apple I have no idea what their "official" stance is...no one does. They have not announced it. We can't proclaim to know what Apple's offcial stance is until they announce it......
  • Reply 282 of 318
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

hold on...wait a minute.

Do you know for sure what Apple's Official stance is?

How do you know? Did they have a press release with that info?

Is it on their website? Do you have official Apple documentation proving it?

How do you know the memo that was posted was real?

Beacsue someone posted on a blog that they got it from an apple support person?

That does not make it offcial! :-) That makes it very dubious.......

This falls in line with what Apple has been doing forhe past week. This now seems like a hardware issue. I've been willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt (even somewhat defending them) but this is beginning to feel really slimy.

From the poor design of the antenna to the easily shattered back glass panel, this is seeming more and more like a half-assed product.
  • Reply 283 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

That is great that that is enough for you.........

I too experience the signal loss issue with my 4G. BUT based on what is coming from Apple I have no idea what their "official" stance is...no one does. They have not announced it. We can't proclaim to know what Apple's offcial stance is until they announce it......

Well if you believe that leaked support memo is real, or their customers posts on the official Apple forums are true, their stance is there is no issue to fix. It's normal. No warranty work will be provided for this issue. Yes, all of this could be fake. Believe what you want to believe. I love Apple products. I own a Macbook & 3GS. I have money in hand to buy a 4G, but not until this issue is resolved. Which it appears to me, it won't anytime soon (if ever). Time will tell.
  • Reply 284 of 318
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:

I have money in hand to buy one, but not until this issue is resolved. Which it appears to me, it won't anytime soon.

This attitude worries me, because some people will never believe that it is resolved. Seriously, what would it take to prove to you that it is resolved? If it's that no amount of hand positioning or squeezing will have any effect on signal display, then we are in trouble. Someone will always be able to hold the phone in some position or another, in some location or another, that will effect a change. They will post a YouTube video of it and the controversy will go on . . . and on . . . and on. Like conspiracy theories, there are always ways to argue around evidence and keep the theory alive.
  • Reply 285 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

This attitude worries me, because some people will never believe that it is resolved. Seriously, what would it take to prove to you that it is resolved? If it's that no amount of hand positioning or squeezing will have any effect on signal display, then we are in trouble. Someone will always be able to hold the phone in some position or another, in some location or another, that will effect a change. They will post a YouTube video of it and the controversy will go on . . . and on . . . and on. Like conspiracy theories, there are always ways to argue around evidence and keep the theory alive.

Wrong!! I know all about antenna attenuation. I have owned many different cell phones for years. But I do know it's not normal for a single finger tip to have that much affect on a cell phone (antenna detuning). If they can fix that major issue, problem is resolved for me.
  • Reply 286 of 318
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Well, according to this site, Apple appears to be attempting to deny any problems with the iPhone 4 antenna and has no plans to fix them:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ng-procedures/

Apple won't even agree to provide free bumpers for those with problematic phones. So, looks like this lawsuit could go forward if that's the case.
  • Reply 287 of 318
    Quote:

Wrong!! I know all about antenna attenuation. I have owned many different cell phones for years. But I do know it's not normal for a single finger tip to have that much affect on a cell phone (antenna detuning). If they can fix that major issue, problem is resolved for me.

Glad to hear it. Just out of curiosity, did you check the resource I posted earlier?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...p.html?hpg1=bn

Just wondering if I am whistling in the wind. You seem to be a knowledgeable and reasonable person, and I'd value your take on it.
  • Reply 288 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Glad to hear it. Just out of curiosity, did you check the resource I posted earlier?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...p.html?hpg1=bn

Just wondering if I am whistling in the wind. You seem to be a knowledgeable and reasonable person, and I'd value your take on it.

Yes, I read it. Great reading. But I never experienced a phone where in a good signal area, you drop calls, lose voice quality, and/or drastically slow down the data speeds, with just a touch of one finger tip in a critical spot. Especially when that spot is a place I naturally hold the phone. This is new in my experience. And if Apple wants to say it's normal, then unfortunately it's not the right phone for me.
  • Reply 289 of 318
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Apple is already telling their support they won't fix it. They are telling their customers to avoid touching that spot or buy a case. That it's a normal condition. That's their official stance. No fix. No warranty service. Did you not see the leaked Apple memo to it's employees ?

No. Have you? Post or silence
  • Reply 290 of 318
    Just pondering. There is a site called MacOS Rumors, and there is this one, Apple Insider. If the titles of such websites have any relevance, then those who want to promulgate or discuss rumors should go to MacOS Rumors and have at it.

When I joined this forum I qualified as an Apple insider of sorts, and that's why I joined. I was employed by Apple at one of their first stores. I passed along tidbits I learned on the job. Though I no longer work for Apple, and am only a stockholder, I continued to participate here.

As I said, just pondering . . .
  • Reply 291 of 318
    Quote:

Yes, I read it. Great reading. But I never experienced a phone where in a good signal area, you drop calls, lose voice quality, and/or drastically slow down the data speeds, with just a touch of one finger tip in a critical spot. Especially when that spot is a place I naturally hold the phone. This is new in my experience. And if Apple wants to say it's normal, then it's not the right phone for me.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope others will check it out too.
  • Reply 292 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

No. Have you? Post or silence

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=266
  • Reply 293 of 318
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Looks like Apple is taking the "Bad Cop" approach:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ng-procedures/

This helps to explain why the Apple technician said on Friday that they'd replace my phone if they couldn't fix it and now they won't. Fucking unbelievable greedy fuckers and they won't even offer to give a free case, they should be ashamed of themselves. I now hope Apple get royally fucked with lawsuits.

As for some of the crap that people that haven't experienced issues yet or don't even have an iPhone 4, as if people with serious reception problems hate there 4's and want to complain just because you think they enjoy it, your insults make me glad I'm posting on an Internet forum and don't have to put up with your complete BS in real life. It's truly amazing that so many people here are bashing people who are willing to share their experiences, which actually helps others to better understand the issue.
  • Reply 294 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

This helps to explain why the Apple technician said on Friday that they'd replace my phone if they couldn't fix it and now they won't. Fucking unbelievable greedy fuckers and they won't even offer to give a free case, they should be ashamed of themselves. I now hope Apple get royally fucked with lawsuits.

Since that internal memo was linked to from MacRumors just a couple hours ago it's already gotten mote than 350 comments, many very much like yours:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/29/...sues-revealed/
  • Reply 295 of 318
    Quote:

It's truly amazing that so many people here are bashing people who are willing to share their experiences, which actually helps others to better understand the issue.

Yes, it is odd when people take what you say about a company's product as a personal insult. I love Apple products as much as most people, but, if the darn thing doesn't work as advertised, I'm not going to just accept it and be happy.

Apple is a very big multi-national corporation. They don't really care about you and me, they only really care about making huge profits. What so many corporations keep forgetting is that in order to make those huge profits means they have to keep their customers happy.
  • Reply 296 of 318
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The level of denial here is amazing. How much would Apple have to screw up before you all stop defending them?

I have asked it before and will continue to ask: What good is a smartphone that can't make phone calls?

Why dont we wait for a couple of weeks to see what happens before calling something a fiasco?
  • Reply 297 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Since that internal memo was linked to from MacRumors just a couple hours ago it's already gotten mote than 350 comments, many very much like yours:

Macrumors did not leak that memo, Boy Genius did. Please refrain from linking to that bullshit rumor site, they never break or leak anything, they just post what other sites, including AI, dig up.
  • Reply 298 of 318
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

How did this manufacturing defect make it out the door? Final test should have caught this. In fact, a reasonable manufacturing process would have caught this immediately. When you mass produce anything, you have periodic checks within each lot; and manditory inspections at the beginning of each lot.

Obviously, this didn't happen.

I'm not pretending that I'm in any way au fait with the testing of Apple's iPhones so the following is conjecture.

It is indeed possible that testing wasn't carried out on production phones, perhaps due to delays in manufacture and so on, and in an attempt to meet deadline, the testing was never done. But the fact that deliveries occurred early suggests that delay during manufacture wasn't an issue.

But it's also possible that the test cells that production phones are tested against have such a strong signal that the issues we've been discussing were not initially apparent.

In some ways, I think Apple outsmarted itself with the iP4. We know from his comments that SJ wasn't happy with the signal issues in the 3Gs and earlier and I am beginning to believe that the external antenna was an attempt to 'over-engineer' the solution and get that particular monkey off Apple's back.

Seems that the antenna delivers actual gains in some circumstances. That the same innovation delivers poor reception in others appears to be an unfortunate side-effect that was discovered too late.

But, as I say, conjecture.

So anyone had the SW fix OTA yet?
  • Reply 299 of 318
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:

You know, the simple reality is if you don't like the phone, or it is causing a lot of issues... return it. Simple. Anyone can sue anyone, but that doesn't mean they have a case. Besides, class-action lawsuits are a scam. The only people who benefit are lawyers who exploit the troubles of others, only for you to return with a $6 check.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple as that.
  • Reply 300 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Macrumors did not leak that memo, Boy Genius did. Please refrain from linking to that bullshit rumor site, they never break or leak anything, they just post what other sites, including AI, dig up.

I see a fair mix of original vs. linked to posts between AI and MR, but just the same please note that I had used "linked to" to try to make it clear that the source was elsewhere.

If you don't care for sites that link to others' journalism what are you doing on AI?