Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree...the problem is Apple is denying the whole issue.

If I hold the phone like Steve did in his keynote presentation then I get "No Service" within 30 seconds.

But he should not tell everyone "your holding the phone wrong" or "non issue".....

That just sparks lawsuits like this one.....

BUT I think suing at this point is extremely premature. Apple hasn't had a chance to formally address or fix the issue yet......

They did say they would replace my phone when they get more phones in my local Apple store.

Replacing your phone will probably do no good. Your iPhone 4 is not unique, and I would find it hard to believe they already designed a fix to the flaw.

True, a lawsuit is premature at this stage. That's why this law firm is only doing their investigation at this point. To prepare for a possible lawsuit if it gets to that stage. I see nothing wrong with investigating while Apple continues to deny the issue.
  • Reply 42 of 318
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Umm... install iOS 4 on your iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 43 of 318
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Oh sh**! Here we go again!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 44 of 318
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

You live with 3GS or lose your iOS apps. That's your options if you don't trust Apple to fix the problem. ITunes being a closed shop has always carried the risk that Apple could drop the ball down the line. You have gambled and lost.

Alternatively, you and everyone else who are having this problem (and if you read some message boards, I assume it's millions of people!) should take back your phones and wait. Thereis not a company in the world wont react quickly to falling profits.
  • Reply 45 of 318
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, Jobs' response pretty much dictated the cases these guys have with their case. Apple may have walked into it.

You said it. What did Jobs expect? This is parmount to telling a rape victim that if she wasn't a trashy slut, this wouldn't have happened.

When he has the audacity to tell his customers that they are holding the phone wrong - he's BEGGING for someone to stuff that phone down his throat (or up his backside). And lawyers are the proper tool for doing this.

Instead of Steve-o simply stating "Apple is aware of this, and we are addressing this - we'll get back to you shortly", Stevie was beyond arrogant. If I was a lawyer, my first line of offense would be Job's email response.
  • Reply 46 of 318
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Any of the above is a viable choice. What's the problem?
  • Reply 46 of 318
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

Umm... install iOS 4 on your iPhone 3GS.

I have Leopard installed on my older 1.83 GHz C2D Mac Mini, but that does not make it the same as my i7 iMac now does it?

Oh that's right, be happy, it's Apple!
  • Reply 46 of 318
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Replacing your phone will probably do no good. Your phone is not unique, and I would find it hard to believe they already designed a fix to the flaw.

True, a lawsuit is premature at this stage. That's why this law firm is only doing their investigation. To prepare for a possible lawsuit if it gets to the stage. I see nothing wrong with it if Apple continues to deny the issue.

Oh I agree with you. If Apple denys the whole issue while lets say 1% of the phones sold have this issue then that is still going to be about 20k to 50k people with that issue within a couple of months.

But I am going to replace my phone because only about 1% of the people with the new 4G are having (or reporting) the signal loss issue. hope fully I will get a phone that does not have the signal loss issue when I get a new phone.

I guess it all comes down to how Apple PR handles this issue from here on out....we will see....

I have no desire to be part of any suit as long as they replace my phone with a new one without the defect.
  • Reply 49 of 318
    stedwickstedwick Posts: 78member
    Jesus Christ, I can't believe consumers in this country are such babies. Nobody ever takes responsibility anymore to make an informed purchase. It's prudent to wait a few days whenever any new gadget comes out. If you don't, buyer beware.

Plus, what the hell is so hard to understand about, "If you don't like it, just return it for a full refund"? Why on Earth do lawyers need to be involved? You can't sue a company into making products to meet your specifications. Lawyers in this country are out of control.
  • Reply 50 of 318
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I admitted as much in my post. But the end result is the same so I think it's fair.

I know, but the point being is that your particular beef should be with AT&T. This new issue effects a certain group of phones no matter even the country.
  • Reply 51 of 318
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

What did Jobs expect? This is parmount to telling a rape victim that if she wasn't a trashy slut, this wouldn't have happened.

And the douche of the day award goes to...
  • Reply 52 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

They could give out new phones, but so far they haven't.

Quote:

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

They could give out new phones, but so far they haven't.
  • Reply 53 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Instead of Steve-o simply stating "Apple is aware of this, and we are addressing this - we'll get back to you shortly", Stevie was beyond arrogant. If I was a lawyer, my first line of offense would be Job's email response.

Steve's email candor will be the subject of his next meeting with the BoD.
  • Reply 54 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You live with 3GS or lose your iOS apps. That's your options if you don't trust Apple to fix the problem. ITunes being a closed shop has always carried the risk that Apple could drop the ball down the line. You have gambled and lost.

Alternatively, you and everyone else who are having this problem (and if you read some message boards, I assume it's millions of people!) should take back your phones and wait. Thereis not a company in the world wont react quickly to falling profits.

Yes I may have lost the gamble, as you put it, but that does not exonerate Apple from this mess. Apple is the one that set the expectation that I would be able to use the apps I purchased on future devices.

As much as some desperately want to happen, Apple is not going to get a free pass on this. I was ambivalent when this first started. I just returned my phone. After hearing Apple's reaction and the blind fanboyism on certain websites I truly hope that Apple is turned into Apple Sauce over this.

Oh that's right. I am a troll. I created my account here 4 years, 11 months and so many days ago just waiting for Apple to release the iPhone 4 so I could troll about it! Great preparation on my part, right?
  • Reply 55 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

As many people have pointed out, this affects all phones, and even further, radio devices.

That's what Steve says, but has anyone noticed that this wasn't a big issue with iPhone 3?
  • Reply 56 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

But I am going to replace my phone because only about 1% of the people with the new 4G are having (or reporting) the signal loss issue. .

Where did you get the stat that it is only affecting 1% ? I truly believe it affects all the iPhone 4's, it just depends on your location.
  • Reply 57 of 318
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Are those really your only options? How about not blindly praising Apple and realize that when releasing a complex product, there will be issues. And maybe, just maybe, wait a week or so to see what Apple is going to do. If they ignore the issue or are not able to fix or replace to your satisfaction, then return the phone and grab a 3Gs for a while.
  • Reply 58 of 318
    Maybe the EU can seize Apple's cash reserves and use it to pay down Greece's debt load.
  • Reply 59 of 318
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stedwick View Post

Jesus Christ, I can't believe consumers in this country are such babies. Nobody ever takes responsibility anymore to make an informed purchase. It's prudent to wait a few days whenever any new gadget comes out. If you don't, buyer beware.

Plus, what the hell is so hard to understand about, "If you don't like it, just return it for a full refund"? Why on Earth do lawyers need to be involved? You can't sue a company into making products to meet your specifications. Lawyers in this country are out of control.

It sounded to me as if this was entirely proactive on the part of the Law firm - heard some grumblings - and decided to find out if they could get enough people to come forward and make a statement in order to build a case - not a situation where a mob of users showed up at the law firm's door demanding that they build a case.

So far the reactions from users I have heard have ranged from - damn that sucks, hope they fix it soon to I am returning this POS and switching to another device/carrier. I have not read a single account of an iPhone owner calling for a class action lawsuit.

If you are a lawyer - you need to have a case load in order to make any money - if no one comes to you then you are left to go out and chase that ambulance.
  • Reply 60 of 318
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stedwick View Post

I can't believe consumers in this country are such babies... Why on Earth do lawyers need to be involved? Lawyers in this country are out of control.

Your last sentence answers your initial questions. It's not so much the cry-baby consumer, it's the money-seeking law firms. Lawyers pray upon the weak-minded to get them involved in class action suits.

But wicked lawyers aside, I still say the FCC deserves the brunt of the blame here. Under the guise of looking out for your health, they devise rules that limit the performance of your wireless devices.