Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 81 of 318
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Totally agree.

Yep, I agree. The problem is it is so far ahead the competition have to resort to 'swift boat tactics.'
  • Reply 82 of 318
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I have heard of a few people returning their iPhone 4 for new ones with no problem. I haven't heard of anyone getting turned away when trying to return their iPhone 4 for a replacement.

If I were to have this problem, that's the first thing I'd do.

Not to say there are not genuine cases but perhaps the reason not too many have been returned is because the vast majority of those claiming to have the problem don't actually own one?
  • Reply 83 of 318
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know, but the point being is that your particular beef should be with AT&T. This new issue effects a certain group of phones no matter even the country.

The issue is that you can't make calls. Different reason, same result.

That is nothing new for some. Now it affects many. Welcome to the party. Sucks doesn't it?

That's the point.
  • Reply 84 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I have heard of a few people returning their iPhone 4 for new ones with no problem. I haven't heard of anyone getting turned away when trying to return their iPhone 4 for a replacement.

If I were to have this problem, that's the first thing I'd do.

Hopefully you can get a usable unit in the first swap.

But be sure to ask for "Option Three", says this gentleman who's taken the time to make a tutorial video on how to get a usable replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG0odfrzgAU
  • Reply 85 of 318
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

That is nothing new for some. Now it affects many. Welcome to the party. Sucks doesn't it?

That's the point.

Stop babbling.
  • Reply 86 of 318
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I usually just sigh when I hear about a lawsuit against Apple, but in this case there is actually a grounding for the case.

I've checked 3 different iPhone 4's from friends, I know the US has a shit network (AT&T) but O2 and Orange both have excellent reception where I am, all 3 phones went from 5 bars to 1/no bars when the phone was cupped in th left hand.

This is a BIG issue, Apple has dropped the ball on this one, if it's simply a software fix thats needed and I hope it is, then great if not Apple deserves to get sued and need to pay out.

I was told last week by an Apple level 2 technician that they would replace the phone. Today he called back, as he said he would, and told me that they wouldn't replace the phone because any replacement would do the same thing. He also said there was no point sending it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it. He said the iPhone 3G and 3GS antennas where the same (that wasn't my experience and not after I upgraded to iOS 4 either). He basically echoed SJ; hold it differently and try a case, which they won't give you one for free.

I'll see what happens with the SW update but I can't say I'm too hopefull. The technician didn't even mention it. This isn't the way to treat customers. It's simply an incredible phone and I can work around the issue by holding it differently and I'll likely get a case. In which case Apple will have made an extra £25 out of me because I wasn't planning on getting one.

Personally I think a lawsuit is very justified in this instance. If Apple had offered free cases they'd look a lot better right now than they do.
  • Reply 87 of 318
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

That's the point.

Why would it suck for Ireland? He already told us he hasn't bought the new iPhone 4.
  • Reply 88 of 318
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Stop babbling.

Okay. Not very nice, but if that's what you would like me to do then I shall do so.

Have a very pleasant day Ireland.
  • Reply 89 of 318
    gcam067gcam067 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

Pain and suffering?

I'm already on my replacement iPhone and it is has the same lousy reception as the 1st. My 3G iPhone in the same location used to have great reception.
  • Reply 90 of 318
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It is about Steve Jobs saying "There is no reception issue". In other words lying to the customer to conceal a defect forcing the customer to seek remediation from the courts.

Or the problem is just with certain phones and can be fixed through AppleCare as a warranty issue. Just because there isn't a design flaw doesn't mean that some devices will not have flaws in them. If you have some strange body chemistry that is causing the issues, I heard Apple will give you a free bumper.

I think if the class action lawsuit ruled that you could replace the phone with a competitors phone of your choice nobody would take that up.
  • Reply 91 of 318
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    the other day I squeezed my friend's Touch Pro and sure enough signal went down. She had 2 bars, and when I would hold it like someone was trying to steal it, the bars would go down. When I set it back on the arm of the chair, they would go back up. It was a repeatable result, so now I'm not as critical of Apple about this. However, if in fact the reception issues occur just from skin to phone, and not from a death grip, then it's a whole other ballgame.
  • Reply 92 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If you have some strange body chemistry that is causing the issues, I heard Apple will give you a free bumper

There seems to be a lot of people that have this strange body chemistry
  • Reply 93 of 318
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Okay. Not very nice, but if that's what you would like me to do then I shall do so.

Have a very pleasant day Ireland.

i hope england re invades ireland soon enough

today i garb my 9 and 6 yr old and we are gonna hit best buy

apple store

att store

so i can get past my hatred of ATT and the iosfour iphone

32g wifi

i may even buy a verizon or sprint MIFI card to boost the wifiness of it all

all this over the top shite stuff here from 2 or3 trolls has made me really want to get one

okok

apple is doomed is not my joke

tecstud coined it first when the bluray way not included in the last nano update

and then mactripper used it 50000 times talking about the 160g ipod blinding glare

i guess that doomed joke is tired and dead

sorry for being so crass

apple is down 10 points so i guess its time for me to buy some stock

can't wait to find one today

• Reply 94 of 318
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i hope england re invades ireland soon enough

today i garb my 9 and 6 yr old and we are gonna hit best buy

apple store

att store

so i can get past my hatred of ATT and the iosfour iphone

32g wifi

i may even buy a verizon or sprint MIFI card to boost the wifiness of it all

all this over the top shite stuff here from 2 or3 trolls has made me really want to get one

okok

apple is doomed is not my joke

tecstud coined it first when the bluray way not included in the last nano update

and then mactripper used it 50000 times talking about the 160g ipod blinding glare

i guess that doomed joke is tired and dead

sorry for being so crass

apple is down 10 points so i guess its time for me to buy some stock

can't wait to find one today

What on earth are you waffling about? Snap out of it!

"apple is doomed" can be traced back to prehistoric times.
  • Reply 95 of 318
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

What on earth are you waffling about? Snap out of it.

whew

thanks i needed that

• Reply 96 of 318
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

That's the point.

I'm willing to bet the for every owner experiencing degraded service because of the antenna, there are 100 getting BETTER reception for the same reason.

I know I'm in the latter category.

Does that mean I get to launch a class action suit against these ambulance chasers if I have to give up my improved external antenna?
  • Reply 97 of 318
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

The level of denial here is amazing. How much would Apple have to screw up before you all stop defending them?

For two years I have had terrible audio quality and dropped calls on my 3G. Yet the iPhone flies off the shelves and the community here makes excuse after excuse for Apple and ATT. "We don't need to make phone calls. We don't need Verizon."

Now that everyone is dropping calls (granted for different reasons) all of a sudden this is so unacceptable we're going to get lawyers. Yeah, it IS maddening when you keep dropping calls, isn't it?

I'm glad the Kool Aid has finally worn off for others as it did for me when I was stranded on the side of the road with no signal on my shiny pretty iPhone.

I have asked it before and will continue to ask: What good is a smartphone that can't make phone calls?

IMO, most people who have a smartphone, do much more than just talk on the phone and the crappy quality is acceptable to most.

Personally, when i look at my ATT bill, i notice that by the end of my billing cycle, i've made (on average) of about 50 minutes of calling. Maybe that's a bit low for most people and i'm the acception. And then i look at my internet usage and notice it's about 200-400mb per month. I also text a lot and email quite a bit more than making calls. Not to mention that everyone i know is on ATT so my minutes don't suffer since they area all in network.

So, at least to me, i think most people who use smartphones do much more than make calls.
  • Reply 98 of 318
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

Pain and suffering?

i'm sure someone asnwered this already, but it's not about singular incidents. It's about a device defect that is inherint to the design of the device.
  • Reply 99 of 318
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

You said it. What did Jobs expect? This is parmount to telling a rape victim that if she wasn't a trashy slut, this wouldn't have happened. ...

Quote:

Actually I think an even better anology would be if the judge told the rape victim: non issue, just don't walk down that particular street. Or get one of the many available 'mace' cans. Without actually addressing the rape.

No, it's not at all similar, and saying that it is trivializes the ordeal of a rape victim . The comparison is highly offensive to me, and I'm sure to more than a few others.

I can understand that people want to express their anger over this issue (although, what those who haven't bought the phone have to be angry about, I don't know), but blowing it completely out of perspective by equating it to rape just robs whatever arguments you may have of any legitimacy.
  • Reply 100 of 318
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Name one phone that can have its communications disabled with a single finger touch to the external case? Other than the iPhone 4 that is!

The Nexus One and there are others. You need just to pull your head out of your butt long enough to search a bit. It is not an uncommon problem.