Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 318
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    The real story is that the vast majority of 1.7 million iPhone 4 owners seem to be very happy with them. And that this new product design seems no more perfect nor flawed than any other of its type.

On forums, "The hand points at the moon, the fool looks at the finger."
  • Reply 102 of 318
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The Nexus One and there are others. You need just to pull your head out of your butt long enough to search a bit. It is not an uncommon problem.

It wasn't an "iPhone" problem until iPhone 4 and/or iOS 4.

Frankly, I don't give a **** what other phone makers are doing -- I care about what Apple is doing. And bringing in other manufacturers to cloud the discussion is a copout.
  • Reply 103 of 318
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You just said something negative against Apple so it must be false. lol

Do you ever have anything of substance to say?
  • Reply 104 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Have you tried logging into your iTunes account on your (Win/Mac) PC, examining your purchase history, and using the Report A Problem button? Don't know if it will work for you or not, but I'd think that if you made purchases for the iPhone 4 and had to return it, the purchases should be refunded. Rather than being bitter about it, I'd say it should be worth a try.
  • Reply 105 of 318
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Seriously, they couldn't wait a few days to see if the software update fixes the problem? That's a lot of wasted effort if 4.0.1 makes it go away.
  • Reply 106 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Seriously, they couldn't wait a few days to see if the software update fixes the problem? That's a lot of wasted effort if 4.0.1 makes it go away.

As I have been warned several times: "Stop making sense."
  • Reply 107 of 318
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree that if it effects you, this is no doubt a right royal pain in the arse, but does it really merit a lawsuit? Surely if it doesn't work for you the options are:
    1. Take it back.

2. Trust Apple to provide a fix.

This is a flaw in the American system which hampers creativity and the economy in general. If something happens you don't like, call the lawyers.

If this is an inherit flaw in the design, as may have been trying to prove, and Apple's claims that there "is no problem"...then this is lying and Apple should provide some kind of restitution. If Apple wants to deny something that is inheritly wrong with the design, a lawsuit is justified, that is unless they cannot prove that this is a design flaw in every device and not just a small percentage. I mean, we have heard many accounts of this problem, in other countries too (so you can't claim it's a network issue), but that's only a very small percentage of the amount of iphones out there sold as of today. They sold 1.7M phones in the first 3 days, and we've heard only about 1% (at best) of them having problems. This would have to be (i'm speculating) an issue of one out of every 5 phones with this issue before it becomes something worth suing over.
  • Reply 107 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

There seems to be a lot of people that have this strange body chemistry

My wife used to be able to light a small florescent tube (from a camping lantern) by holding both ends in her hands - she may still, hasn't tried it lately. She made a laser printer spit out solid black pages by standing next to it. She's had an iPhone for almost a year and it's survived the experience, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when we upgrade to iPhone 4's when eligibility comes around...
  • Reply 109 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

If this is an inherit flaw in the design, as may have been trying to prove, and Apple's claims that there "is no problem"...then this is lying and Apple should provide some kind of restitution. If Apple wants to deny something that is inheritly wrong with the design, a lawsuit is justified, that is unless they cannot prove that this is a design flaw in every device and not just a small percentage. I mean, we have heard many accounts of this problem, in other countries too (so you can't claim it's a network issue), but that's only a very small percentage of the amount of iphones out there sold as of today. They sold 1.7M phones in the first 3 days, and we've heard only about 1% (at best) of them having problems. This would have to be (i'm speculating) an issue of one out of every 5 phones with this issue before it becomes something worth suing over.

The whole thing about this that concerns me is... wasn't the one that got lost/left behind/stolen in the bar in a camouflage case that made it look like a 3G? Did Apple do much testing on a "bare" iPhone 4...? One would assume they must have, but you know what they say about the word "ASSUME" - making an ASS out of U and ME.
  • Reply 110 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Why are we waiting for 4.0.1 ? Apple says there is no reception issue. So what is this rumored 4.0.1 going to fix ? The denials from Apple is causing this situation to worsen.
  • Reply 111 of 318
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The issue is that you can't make calls. Different reason, same result.

That is nothing new for some. Now it affects many. Welcome to the party. Sucks doesn't it?

That's the point.

Why would it suck for Ireland? He already told us he hasn't bought the new iPhone 4.

As a matter of fact, neither do you. As you have said recently, you are on Verison and you are boycotting AT&T.
  • Reply 112 of 318
    Here's a thought. Let's sue the American Bar Association for its part in creating and perpetuating an environment in which the first reaction to what might be a product flaw is a legal proceeding, without giving the manufacturer the opportunity to investigate claims, establish their legitimacy, and offer upgrades, modifications, or compensation should the claims not be proved groundless.

It's a class action, and the members of the class are every single consumer in America who has ever purchased anything from a company with a legal department that has ever had to defend itself against a claim that has been deemed spurious. In other words, about 308 million of us.

You know what's utterly perverse? I guarantee we'd find lawyers to file a suit like this.
  • Reply 113 of 318
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i hope england re invades ireland soon enough

What is wrong with you?
  • Reply 114 of 318
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    A few people I work with are already joining in on the lawsuit.
  • Reply 115 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it's not at all similar, and saying that it is trivializes the ordeal of a rape victim . The comparison is highly offensive to me, and I'm sure to more than a few others.

It's not similar, to you. But the analogy makes sense.
  • Reply 116 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Do you ever have anything of substance to say?

According to you, no.
  • Reply 117 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I never really paid much attention to something like reception or how many bars my phone had before this issue but I did a little test last night.

We have an HTC Evo, HTC Incredible and an iPhone. Depending on where you hold each phone you can go from 5 to 2 bars on every phone. I thought that was interesting because I never really paid attention to it before.

I don't currently own an iPhone 4 so I can't say if there is really an issue but it appears the signal can drop a bit with any smartphone based on where you hold it or the antenna location.

However I see my Apple stock is taking a beating today.
  • Reply 118 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

You can't possibly know it's not an issue in one out of every 5 iPhone 4's sold. 'Cause you don't know.
  • Reply 119 of 318
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree that we need more time to see how this all plays out.

If this is a design flaw then ALL 4G phones would have the same signal loss issue.

That is not happening...not all 4Gs have the signal loss. It is avery small percentage.

Do all the 4Gs have the same software installed? If so then how will a software update fix the issue?

Does apple use differnt manufacturers to make the phone? lets say they have 3 differnt companies making the phone. Maybe one of them had a production problem. That might explain why some have the issue while other do not.....

I am waiting to get mine replaced. Hopefully the new one won't have the same issue.
  • Reply 120 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I never really paid much attention to something like reception or how many bars my phone had before this issue but I did a little test last night.

We have an HTC Evo, HTC Incredible and an iPhone. Depending on where you hold each phone you can go from 5 to 2 bars on every phone. I thought that was interesting because I never really paid attention to it before.

I don't currently own an iPhone 4 so I can't say if there is really an issue but it appears the signal can drop a bit with any smartphone based on where you hold it or the antenna location.

However I see my Apple stock is taking a beating today.

It's the market that's taking a beating, AAPL is going along for the ride. It was up yesterday in the teeth of all this blog hysteria.

Your informal testing confirms what I have suspected all along. When someone suggests that what one normally experiences is a problem, it suddenly becomes a problem.