Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 161 of 418
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Certified View Post

my company purchased 50 of the new iPhone 4's and ALL have the same reception issue.

the 50 were ordered in 2 batches a day apart and shipped to 5 different regions in the US all have issues as stated in this article...

Yes you can expect a few corporate law suites over this...

my company has well over 500 other iPhone's from ver 3 and 3gs that work without issue.

if you dont think this is a real issue than have your company go buy 50 iPhone 4's and see how you fare on a return deal...

if you think its hard to return 1 iPhone 4 back to ATT or Apple try 50!

When you say, "ALL have the same reception issue, which issue are you talking about?

Quote:

1. Signal loss related to holding a phone not in a case.

This happens, but, according to most analyses and reports, the phone continues to work with good call quality.

2. Complete signal loss related to bridging the seam.

This has been demonstrated in various videos, but apparently not with all phones as some people are not able to reproduce it, including cases of 2 phones in the same location handled by 2 different people where one phone, handled by either person, consistently exhibits the problem while the other consistently does not.

3. Proximity sensor issues.

It is widely reported that the proximity sensor does not behave correctly, causing numerous instances of people accidentally muting or hanging up calls. It's unclear if this is an issue on all phones, or only on some.

• Reply 162 of 418
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    LOL this is ridiculous.

even if you bought the iPhone 4 on the first day, you still have WEEKS of time to return it.

Have fun explaining to the court why you choose to sue instead of simply return the merchandize.

But frankly I would not be surprised if there are zero plaintiffs in this case.
  • Reply 163 of 418
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Of course he didn't read 'the article'...

it was yet another nonsensical 'knee jerk' response from someone bent on defending all things Apple regardless of facts etc.

Acutally, I believe the fee only applies to opened iPhones, which amounts to the same thing, since everyone opens the box.
  • Reply 164 of 418
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    FFS, the iPhone 4 has been out all of a week; if a person is having unforeseen problems, RETURN YOUR DAMN PHONE! If the judges have any sense they'll throw these lawsuits out instantly, knowing full well they're all filed well within the 30-day return period. Lawsuits like these are for products that are widely defective after the warranty has expired, not three damn days after you bought the damn thing. Greedy blood-sucking lawyers.
  • Reply 165 of 418
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Apple could have just attached the bumper permanently to the phone, and added $30 to the price, or better yet just included it for free. The problem with this is that Apple markets this as the first smart phone to have an external antenna structure. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but if the phone needs to have a case to function properly, then this does not constitute an external antenna.

Apple could make this go away by bundling a bumper case with all iPhones or coating the antenna. This is an obvious screw up on Apples part. This has all the hallmarks of a Jobs decision. Jobs has given us wonderful things in the past but every now and then you get one of these. Apple probably pays a few bucks on their end for a bumper case. I do believe the bumper case came about because Apple knew there would be an antenna issue and decided to monetize their bad design. Yes I have an iPhone 4 and yes I have the issue. It's not the end of the world for me but I can understand why people are upset.
  • Reply 166 of 418
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

LOL this is ridiculous.

even if you bought the iPhone 4 on the first day, you still have WEEKS of time to return it.

Have fun explaining to the court why you choose to sue instead of simply return the merchandize.

But frankly I would not be surprised if there are zero plaintiffs in this case.

4 weeks max, with 10% restocking fee. None of that effetcs a lawsuit that claims fraudulent and misleading sales, faulty equipment etc.
  • Reply 167 of 418
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve's son View Post

Did you read the article? It quotes consumers who purchased the iPhone 4 will be required to pay a 10% restocking fee; upon returning the device.

If you return it because you don't want it, sure, you pay a restocking fee. If you return it because it's defective with a reproducible or demonstrable problem and they won't replace it or can't replace it with a working model, you won't be charged a restocking fee.

Oh, and there is no ETF fee you're responsible for. Right in the agreement you sign you have 30 days.

Don't you people learn about your rights as consumers or is it simply more fun to throw a tantrum, complain, and then litigate?

PS: Watch out, Sarah Jessica Parker might steal your idea for the iPod.
  • Reply 168 of 418
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

4 weeks max, with 10% restocking fee. None of that effetcs a lawsuit that claims fraudulent and misleading sales, faulty equipment etc.

Apple's defense? Faulty unit. Defective. Neither are grounds for a lawsuit without some more definitive group beyond the hearsay of internet forums.
  • Reply 169 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post

That depends entirely on where you bought it. If you bought the phone through Apple or AT&T then I believe they're not charging a restocking fee. But if you bought it from Best Buy or Radio Shack then they will charge you a restocking fee. IIRC, it's 10% at Best Buy and %15 at Radio Shack.

There is no one to blame (or sue) except for yourself.

Shop around...get the best deal (and return policy).

Never be the first to buy any new product. Always good to wait until revision 2 comes out.
  • Reply 170 of 418
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This is getting good

Steve Jobs to Angry iPhone 4 User: "Relax, it's just a phone."

Thanks for the link, if it's anything like a few days ago, I'm sure AI will have a post on this in the next few hours.
  • Reply 171 of 418
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have an iPhone 4G

I can reproduce the signal loss from 5 bars down to "searching" then to "no service".

I did this in an Apple store for the store manager.

Apple could not help me. They ran all kinds of tests on the phone while I was in the store. We even restored it to factory defaults. Nothing worked.

The penalties i will pay when returning the phone are:

1) I can return the phone to the Apple store I purchased it from

2) I will have to pay a restocking fee? Not sure only had the phone a week.

3) Returning the phone leaves me without a phone.....

4) I just renewed a 2 year contract with AT&T to get this phone.

5) i cannot switch cell carriers because I just renewed my contract to get this phone and will have to pay ETF fees of about $400

6) This is a huge pain in the you know what to have to go through all this just to get a phone that works......thats all I want......

I am not an Apple basher....look up my posts. I am a Apple supporter!

I have 2 iMacs a Macbook, Macbook Pro, iPad and 2 iPhones in my house.....so I suport Apple both publicly and with my wallet.

I don't think expecting my phone to work as advertised as Steve did in his keynote presentation. He held the phone exactly as he is now telling people "your holding it wrong"

If Apple won't support their defective product then what other recourse do I have?

If I can I will return the phone and get out of my contract with AT&T. But i don't expect that to happen without have a large out of pocket expense. Tat's is just wrong......

But not all new iPhone 4Gs are having this issue.....so there is hope... BUT MINE DOES and Apple is not supporting me...instead they are putting the blame on me for holding the phone the wrong way!

Items (4) and (5) are not problems. If you return the phone for a flaw like this, you can nullify the contract immediately and easily.

Item (2) is probably also not a problem. If you decide you want to return the phone, go back into that same Apple store and demand a full refund. If they give you any grief about a restocking fee, launch into your irate customer mode and cite the lawsuit loud and clear for all of the other customers to hear. You'll get your full refund.

Thompson
  • Reply 172 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

When you say, "ALL have the same reception issue, which issue are you talking about?

i am refering to the bare hand on the antenna issue all 50/50 loose signal and drop calls, we have over 1500 documented calls dropped by iPhone4 phones.

and Apple/ATT will not exchange or accept a return without a fee.
  • Reply 173 of 418
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

My wife and I have been waiting to finally get an iPhone until this release. Right now, that decision is on hold.

At the very least, I think Apple has exhibited terrible public relations. Telling consumers that they are holding the phone wrong is beyond laughable. Can any of you imagine the reaction of this board if those words came from a company like HTC or Microsoft?

I hope that Apple is able to improve this situation with a software patch. Until then, the reports of reception issues continue to grow, and Apple is digging a deeper hole through their responses to the seemingly repeatable problem. At this point, a lawsuit seems like an inevitability.

Very convienent that your decision is on hold, you can't buy them anywhere because they're still sold out.

The whole issue is bullshit, I've tried it on 3 iPhones so far, it doesn't lose reception, and I guarantee my hands are bigger than yours. I can cover all the metal surrounding the phone, and no signal loss.

This is a total fabricated non-issue. So tired of pathetic whiners, if it's not Verizon, it's the price, if it's not price, it's some other 'horrible' Apple crime or Steve Jobs related 'crime'.

You probably were never going to buy one, but here you are groaning about something you know NOTHING about. Or are you here to take out your frustration that you cant buy one without waiting, that you'd rather rain on everyone's parade? Nobody wants to hear what you aren't going to do or what y ou aren't going to buy. Further... I'm sure you're better off not having any communications device, because your 'content' is below par and a total disappointment to those who've been on the recording end. Until you clean up your act and come clean with the flaws in your design, we shouldn't have to be exposed to the obviously flawed product you manufacture.
  • Reply 174 of 418
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

we all covered this in a previous post from AI, but for those who missed out...

Right handed people hold the phone with their Left hand and use their Right hand to point.

Left handed people hold the phone in their Right hand and use their left hand to point. Now, this is IMO but i've heard many other's on this forum agree with this logic.

Yes but what the hell does that have to do with holding it up to your ear?

Also lefties are going to be all over the place. The world is right handed and so all lefties display degrees of right-handedness out of pure necessity. What hand are you going to use to sharpen a pencil, to grab toilet paper out of most public stalls, to shift your car, to use your mouse on most public computers, etc.

We've just adapted and can either do both, or do it right since that was what was available early and we've grown out from that.

Is my laptop right or left handed? No, but the desktop before almost always had a mouse that was right handed as an example. I can use right handed scissors because life just didn't present left handed scissors often enough and things needed to get done.

When I talk I hold the phone in my left hand. I text with both thumbs. When using the phone as a data device, I can use both hands whatever way I want. There are times when I hold the device with my left hand and point with my right but when I dial the phone I know I hold it with my left hand and dial with my thumb.

There are no pure lefties because the world is right-handed.
  • Reply 175 of 418
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themouse View Post

"don't hold it that way" was a line in a private email to one person. He posted it and it exploded over the internet. There was nothing official about it.

Steve Jobs should know better. EVERY e-mail he sends out to a private individual ends up on the internet and even makes its way into real news outlets (not just blogs). Even if you aren't Steve Jobs, there is this fundamental rule: don't put anything in writing that you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the New York Times. You can multiply that rule by a million if you ARE Steve Jobs.

I am a big Apple fan too. But I think the main problem in all of this has been the communication from the Steve. I totally support Apple's need to stay mum on this topic until they identify their course of action (hardware, software, bumper give-away, settling claims, etc, whatever) but I think they need to stay COMPLETELY mum. In other words, until they announce their course of action, Steve should shut the heck up.

Thompson
  • Reply 176 of 418
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Certified View Post

i am refering to the bare hand on the antenna issue all 50/50 loose signal and drop calls, we have over 1500 documented calls dropped by iPhone4 phones.

and Apple/ATT will not exchange or accept a return without a fee.

Have you actually determined that the dropped calls are due to the antenna issue and not the proximity sensor issue? The reason I suspect this is a report from someone (I can't remember who, or exactly where) who claimed to have dropped calls due to the antenna issue, yet, an examination of the phone logs showed no "dropped" calls. So perhaps the problem is actually accidental hangups due to the proximity sensor issue. Obviously not ideal at the moment, but that issue will probably be fixed in software.

EDIT: I notice you say, "1500 documented calls dropped by iPhone4 phones," which may indicate you have determined that it isn't the proximity sensor. Anyway, just curious, how does this compare to the number of dropped calls per phone for previous iPhones, and previous iPhones used by the same people. If the rates are significantly higher/phone for same user phones, I think you could make a pretty strong case for a return without a fee.
  • Reply 177 of 418
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

we all covered this in a previous post from AI, but for those who missed out...

Right handed people hold the phone with their Left hand and use their Right hand to point.

Left handed people hold the phone in their Right hand and use their left hand to point. Now, this is IMO but i've heard many other's on this forum agree with this logic.

I sometimes hold the phone in my right hand and use my thumb to swipe and type. Sometimes I hold it in my left hand, and use my right hand for quicker typing. And I can hold it in either my left hand or right hand when actually on a call.

So do you think am I right-handed or left-handed?

My point is that everyone probably uses their phone the way they want, that can affect or not affect both lefties and righties. Can we not make this a righty vs. lefty issues? Did we learn nothing from Biggie and Tupac? Let's just all get along~
  • Reply 178 of 418
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

If Apple tries to push a software update for this issue someone really should give them a good slap in the face. Nothing I hate more than companies pushing software at hardware issues, all it does is basically mask the issue without truly resolving it.

And you know this because......?

I wonder how you get to be an expert in the design and manufacture of consumer electronics simply by reading AI. Must be an amazing skill.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I've started looking around at how people hold their phones. Nearly everybody I see holds it with their finger tips. Not jambed down into their palm. So what does "held it like a phone" actually mean?

Exactly. It's almost impossible to hold the phone while making a call while covering the black bands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Again, I am reporting what the users are saying. People are reporting 20% battery loss per hour or two on 4. I merely mentioned iOS4 to add in that people are seeing the problem on updated 3GS's. Thus, this may be a software issue.

These are the three big threads and complaints on the Apple forum's.

When will you learn that "people are reporting" is a useless piece of information. People are reporting that Elvis just came back from Mars on a green cheese motorcycle, too. Apple has sold 2 M of these phones - some will have problems. As soon as you have evidence that it's a significant issue, feel free to provide it.

Every published report raves about the battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yeah if I asked for my phone back it would not be very pretty....my wife and step daughter would not be happy with me! :-))

So your wife and step-daughter are happy with the phone. Nice example of the fact that most people using the phones appear to be happy while the ones who don't use them are the ones complaining.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

How the hell is it awkward to hold the phone in your left hand rather than in your right hand?

It's not. I hold it in my left hand - and my fingers are nowhere near the black band. It's only awkward to hold it in your left hand while cupping the bottom of the phone and making a phone call at the same time - which is how we're told we should reproduce the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think actually they did. They were so concerned with secrecy they probably had them all in those special cases that looked like the 3GS. Someone apparently didn't think to test the product in it's original form as this issue should have been caught very early on in the antennae development.

It is possible that their outside testing was limited thanks to Gizmodo (so much for the idiots who claimed that Gizmodo did no harm). But to argue that Apple never tested them without a case is ludicrous.
  • Reply 179 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Very convienent that your decision is on hold, you can't buy them anywhere because their still sold out.

The whole issue is bullshit, I've tried it on 3 iPhones so far, it doesn't lose reception, and I guarantee my hands are bigger than yours. I can cover all the metal surrounding the phone, and no signal loss.

This is a total fabricated non-issue. So tired of pathetic whiners, if it's not Verizon, it's the price, if it's not price, it's some other 'horrible' Apple crime or Steve Jobs related 'crime'.

You probably were never going to buy one, but here you are groaning about something you know NOTHING about. Or are you here to take out your frustration that you cant buy one without waiting, that you'd rather rain on everyone's parade? Nobody wants to hear what you aren't going to do or what y ou aren't going to buy. Further... I'm sure you're better off not having any communications device, because your 'content' is below par and a total disappointment to those who've been on the recording end. Until you clean up your act and come clean with the flaws in your design, we shouldn't have to be exposed to the obviously flawed product you manufacture.

Are you even being serious? I am on Apple's junk as much as anyone else, but this is just plain ridiculous.

I had five bars and couldn't send a freaking text until I took my hand off of that spot. And I only had five bars because I had JUST picked up the phone to send a snappy text. If I hold it for a longer period, the bars drop unless I'm standing pretty close to a tower.

Most people who are experiencing this issue have awesome AT+T signal. Go inside of a building or in a basement not SUPER near a tower and try it.

I don't really care what the signal indicator shows. But when my texts, calls, and data are brought to a screeching halt because of an issue that has been on the front of a variety of national newspapers, yeah, I expect Apple to do something about it.
  • Reply 180 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Have you actually determined that the dropped calls are due to the antenna issue and not the proximity sensor issue? The reason I suspect this is a report from someone (I can't remember who, or exactly where) who claimed to have dropped calls due to the antenna issue, yet, an examination of the phone logs showed no "dropped" calls. So perhaps the problem is actually accidental hangups due to the proximity sensor issue. Obviously not ideal at the moment, but that issue will probably be fixed in software.

Confirmed with ATT over air connection lost and call dropped ... you must really love Apple or work for them.. i had less issue with ATT and Apple admitting it is there problem and they are working on it I am sure as we are a very large company and both Apple and ATT make very large sums of money from us they will eventually get over denial and give out free bumpers...