BOOM BABY!!

Comments

• Reply 221 of 279
    BTW, I used to love Vlade. When he hit the 3 pointer (for the Lakers) to beat the Bulls in the beginning of the '91 Finals, I was his biggest fan. During the past few years, unfortunately he has started to flop more than anyone else in the NBA. Ever since Rodman retired.

Sometimes Vlade throws his arms up trying to draw a foul, instead of finishing off the play. That is pathetic. Even his own coach had reprimanded him on this. If I was an NBA ref I'd never give him the benefit of the doubt. Kinda like the 'boy who cried wolf'.
  • Reply 222 of 279
    shadygshadyg Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by patmcfar8:

<strong>BTW, I used to love Vlade. When he hit the 3 pointer (for the Lakers) to beat the Bulls in the beginning of the '91 Finals, I was his biggest fan. During the past few years, unfortunately he has started to flop more than anyone else in the NBA. Ever since Rodman retired. </strong><hr></blockquote>

He was a flopper in L.A. and Chick used to ride him about it all the time. I bet it was fun for him to be able to do that again this past series. I started watching the Lakers in 1990, and so missed out on all the Showtime years and had to sit through a decade of dismal seasons -- by Laker standards of course -- before the payoff in '00. But I always thought Vlade was just a placeholder until we got a real center. Loved Eddie Jones though. And Sedale Threatt

As for the refs, well everyone out there that hates L.A. -- which is most people who don't live here -- will only see game 6, which was of course very poorly officiated. But they conveniently forget about game 5. Shaq gets 6 fouls in 32 minutes of play -- three of them very questionable -- and a total of 1 free throw in the game. Then as if that's not enough, the Lakers still win if the ball Webber knocked out of bounds at the end is actually called out of bounds on Webber. The only thing consistent is poor officiating, but an objective observer can hardly say the Lakers were handed the series.

Talk of an NBA conspiracy is suspect simply because there would be too many people involved, and someone would eventually leak the secret, totally destroying the sport. A mafia/Vegas fix may be a bit more likely, but if that was the case the refs failed to do their job. Game 5 had SAC favored by 2, and they won by 1. Game 6 had LA favored by 6 and they won by 4. So let's see if any refs turn up missing.

Of course there doesn't have to be a conspiracy for there to be motive. Anyone know if the refs are paid per-game?

-- ShadyG
  • Reply 223 of 279
    patmcfar8patmcfar8 Posts: 84member
    ShadyG, welcome to the fray.

Refs get a flat yearly salary. I think the Playoffs might be paid per game though.

You make excellent points. Unfortunately, they will all be lost on those who only see it the way they want to. Whatever makes their team seem better or makes them feel better about how the Lakers keep winning. Sad really...

And now that I think back, Vlade always was a bit of a flopper. I guess what I was trying to say was that he's really perfected it in the last few years. To the point where he uses flopping instead of actually playing sometimes.

You're in the same boat as me man. I loved the Lakers when I was little (the eighties), but really became a fan right at the end of the Magic era. I loved Eddie Jones... he's been ruined in Miami. Sedale Threatt... my god! I haven't thought about that guy in years. He was good. Whatever happened to him? I also liked Cedric Cebalos, Van Exel and Elden Campbell when they were the big 3 in LA.
  • Reply 224 of 279
    Yes! Cedric "Lake Havasu" Ceballos. What a chump that guy was.
  • Reply 225 of 279
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I'm boycotting the NBA Finals. The NBA is really starting to turn into some trash. I mean who really wants to watch Wife Beater vs . LA Cheaters. Hope the Faker "fans" are happy when they cheat their way to another title. It's like bandwagon vs. bandwagon. Here you got the Faker bandwagoners who were all former bandwagon Bulls fans against all the people in NY & NJ who have suddenly become die-hard NJ Nets fans.
  • Reply 226 of 279
    I'da loved to hear you go toe to toe with Jim Healy. That would've been some grrrrrrrrrreat **** !
  • Reply 227 of 279
    Who's that?
  • Reply 228 of 279
    "Cracker" makes me giggle.

-DisgruntledQS733Owner
  • Reply 229 of 279
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>I'm boycotting the NBA Finals. The NBA is really starting to turn into some trash. I mean who really wants to watch Wife Beater vs . LA Cheaters. Hope the Faker "fans" are happy when they cheat their way to another title. It's like bandwagon vs. bandwagon. Here you got the Faker bandwagoners who were all former bandwagon Bulls fans against all the people in NY & NJ who have suddenly become die-hard NJ Nets fans.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's nice.
  • Reply 230 of 279
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    All I have to say is... any so-called sport where the outcome so often depends on a ref's "interpretation" of some hair-splitting rule is not a sport. Besides, any so-called sport that has no concept of real defense isn't a sport either.

These guys flop and dive more than Dominik Hasek!
  • Reply 231 of 279
    Laugh. It makes me laugh. Cracker.

-DisgruntledQS733Owner
  • Reply 232 of 279
    patmcfar8patmcfar8 Posts: 84member
    "...any so-called sport where the outcome so often depends on a ref's "interpretation" of some hair-splitting rule is not a sport."

What magical world do you live in?

Let's see... that takes care of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, soccer, rugby, etc.

Oh, and any olympic sport where judges give scores to determine the outcome.

What "real" sport does that leave? Bowling?

And one last question: Does anybody like Woods or agree with him on anything?
  • Reply 233 of 279
    [quote]Originally posted by patmcfar8:

<strong>

And one last question: Does anybody like Woods or agree with him on anything? </strong><hr></blockquote>

It doesn't seem like it
  • Reply 234 of 279
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are only two sports: hockey and soccer. Here are the rules for each:

Hockey: push biscuit in net with stick. Rule 1, sticks on sticks, bodies on bodies. Rule 2, nothing above the shoulders.

Soccer: push fat ball in net with foot. Rule 1, no hands. Rule 2, go after the ball not the player.

Great sport is simple (and pretty stupid when you think about it).
  • Reply 235 of 279
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I just play along cause its fun . . . and the calls in came six were relenlessly bad . .. but, in truth, probably NOT fixed.

The Finals.... wow, right now its truly boring the Nets are getting clobbered... as my father would say.
  • Reply 236 of 279
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    4:00 to go, the Nets have made a couple good runs to keep it close.

There are some hockey rules I don't get:

Blue Line, Red Line, offsides, icing... :confused:

I like it when Tiger talks basketball without all the conspiracy theories. I think he knows the game, but the other stuff gets in the way.

Jeff
  • Reply 237 of 279
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

<strong>

I like it when Tiger talks basketball without all the conspiracy theories. I think he knows the game, but the other stuff gets in the way.

Jeff</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true. Unfortunately, the comspiracy theories get in the way too often.
  • Reply 238 of 279
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    it got exciting..... or is that the Lakers just deciding that they need the revenue from a longer series...so they are playing badly
  • Reply 239 of 279
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Man, Kobe had a couple crazy dunks in this game! Both times he took off and I thought, no way he throws this down...

:eek:

Jeff
  • Reply 240 of 279
    Probably they are.

Even the govt is onto the NBA now!!!! Bring in the FBI! We want a damn investigation!!! Don't give Kobe a green card!!