Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy

Comments

• Reply 301 of 451
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That doesn't make any sense. They didn't activate all the demo phones at the keynote to hide reception problems even though they were going to use WiFi exclusively? Or they oddly choose the much faster WiFi to demonstrate the new phone (like they always do) instead of choosing AT&T's network (like they never do) to demonstrate the speed of the phone?

I'm sure it all worked fine before the bloggers got there. I think it's likely they'll have a solution in place for the next event.

No one doubts that using wifi was a good idea for speed. I can't honestly quite understand what your point is other than that.
  • Reply 302 of 451
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Something I haven't noticed in any stories (yet) is what frequencies a given test using. Being on a 0.9GHz signal can get very different results than 1.8GHz just by differences in propagation, the higher the frequency, the higher the attenuation. Is there a way to check this?

With Fieldtest Mode gone this isn't directly possible. I've traveled enough in my area to go from 3G to EDGE to GPRS and from 5 bars to no bars, but I can't even be relatively sure of the operating bad I'm on. I've tried looking up the tower info to see if AT&T lists this info publically, but I couldn't locate any relevant info.

I also can't reproduce the issue some people are having regardless of network type or number of bars. Outside of jailbreaking the iPhone 4 and installing the Fieldtest app one could just run in it on a non-iPhone 4 on AT&T alongside the iPhone 4. The data might not completely accurate, but it also might yield enough data to accurately determjne that this happens on a particular frequency.
  • Reply 303 of 451
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    One factor that is being overlooked in all this discussion about the iPhone version 4's mobile signal reception is that some people may have the wrong kind of hands.

It doesn't matter how I hold my iPhone, I cannot make it show less than 5 bars, unless I go to a place where there is no signal, in which case it doesn't show zero bars, it says no signal. Where there is a signal, I get it. Where there is no signal, I do not. If I try to move around between a place where there is a signal and a place where there is no signal, I can occasionally see somewhere between 1 and 4 bars. If I stand still in such a place and try holding the phone differently, even completely covering it with my hands, I cannot make it change the number of bars shown.

The obvious conclusion is that my hands are better able to conduct mobile phone radio waves than others. The people who have found problems with iPhone 4"s reception must have hands that are more dense to RF waves.

In order to determine whether body mass could be a function of signal degradation, I performed further experiments in masking the RF signal with my body, for example holding the iPhone in my armpits. but was unable to reproduce any indicated signal loss. The closest I could come was placing the iPhone between my buttocks, while leaving enough of it exposed to read the number of bars. In this case I could occasionally but reliably reproduce a reduction of signal strength from 5 bars to 4.5 bars.
  • Reply 304 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

No one doubts that using wifi was a good idea for speed. I can't honestly quite understand what your point is other than that.

You've remarked that there may be a conspiracy behind not activating iPhone for a WiFi demo. My point was to debunk that theory.
  • Reply 305 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

One factor that is being overlooked in all this discussion about the iPhone version 4's mobile signal reception is that some people may have the wrong kind of hands.

So you're saying people with dense heads have dense hands, too?
  • Reply 306 of 451
    Quote:

You've remarked that there may be a conspiracy behind not activating iPhone for a WiFi demo. My point was to debunk that theory.

I would expect that to be your intent, but you offered up nothing.
  • Reply 307 of 451
  • Reply 308 of 451
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Ofcourse! Walt Mossberg was an exception, though. And the 5 AT&T bars showing up in the picture are fake too, the phone was not really registered to the network (FCC rules!), it was just a demo. So was the facetime call Steve placed to Jon Ive. That was not real, through AT&T, was it? Don't tell me it was through WiFi. The voice call was first placed over AT&T before switching over to WiFi.

You quite simply don't know what you're talking about.

I looked up the FCC ID number from my iPhone 4 and the application date was June 7, 2010. Jobs' demo was in April, so there's no way they could have activated 3G at the time. It has been shown that it's possible to activate Facetime on WiFi even without 3G service, so the Facetime demo isn't impossible.

Mossberg got the phone some time in June, so he was able to use 3G.

Could you possibly at least make SOME attempt to stick to facts rather than your conspiracy theories?
  • Reply 309 of 451
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    It's amazing how long this debate has gone on. Unfortunately jobs is right. Don't hold it that way or buy a case. I would tell anyone to buy a case because the phone is just too fragile. I'll buy one and I never use cases. There are plenty of cases already out to choose from.

In the future I'm pretty sure Apple will quietly release new iPhones with a minor change like coating over the metal. Even then it won't solve the problem of the back glass being relatively easy to shatter.

Happy Holidays!
  • Reply 310 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You quite simply don't know what you're talking about.

I looked up the FCC ID number from my iPhone 4 and the application date was June 7, 2010. Jobs' demo was in April, so there's no way they could have activated 3G at the time. It has been shown that it's possible to activate Facetime on WiFi even without 3G service, so the Facetime demo isn't impossible.

Mossberg got the phone some time in June, so he was able to use 3G.

Could you possibly at least make SOME attempt to stick to facts rather than your conspiracy theories?

Interesting. So how did they test their phones, or didn't they?
  • Reply 311 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's amazing how long this debate has gone on. Unfortunately jobs is right. Don't hold it that way or buy a case. I would tell anyone to buy a case because the phone is just too fragile. I'll buy one and I never use cases. There are plenty of cases already out to choose from.

In the future I'm pretty sure Apple will quietly release new iPhones with a minor change like coating over the metal. Even then it won't solve the problem of the back glass being relatively easy to shatter.

Just like with every iPhone there have been complaints of reception, and even battery (despite beating out nearly all smartphones in nearly all tests). I guess it's par for the course when you're up top.

Prediction: We'll see new Macs this week which will make those most upset despite not owning an iPhone focus their mordant view of Apple on their new releases.

Quote:

Happy Holidays!

Watch out, you can't say without someone getting offended since most countries don't have a holiday this weekend.
  • Reply 312 of 451
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Interesting. So how did they test their phones, or didn't they?

if you are inferring that Apple didn't test the iPhone your are either ignorant or just a complete ass.

The FCC has very strict and controlled guidelines of what, where, how and who can re testing communication devices.

I'll let you Google it. I normally would provide the necessary links, but seeing how you make your assertions and have us prove it for you, the hell with it.
  • Reply 313 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

if you are inferring that Apple didn't test the iPhone your are either ignorant or just a complete ass.

The FCC has very strict and controlled guidelines of what, where, how and who can re testing communication devices.

I'll let you Google it. I normally would provide the necessary links, but seeing how you make your assertions and have us prove it for you, the hell with it.

Whatever.
  • Reply 314 of 451
    I checked what happened when Apple presented the 3G at the Keynote. As you would expect they did a demonstration of the 3G versus the Edge browsing speeds. That was in early June, it wasn't available for people to buy for just over a month later on the 11th of July.

See here- http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/i...ally-official/

And 3 mins in the 3G versus Edge test here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2l-l...eature=related (the audio timing is off, but you get the message)
  • Reply 315 of 451
    Doesn't it seem logical the dates Apple asks the FCC to release the reports and the dates the testing and authorization are done would be completely different?

I think the FCC testing was March 29 to April 2, 2010, not including tests done by independent 3rd-parties, which I think take place before the FCC testing.
  • Reply 316 of 451
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

.... Jobs' demo was in April, ...

Thank God you the timeline correct. I wish I were on your calendar!!

PS: I recommend more regular reading of AI.
  • Reply 317 of 451
    Quote:

Doesn't it seem logical the dates Apple asks the FCC to release the reports and the dates the testing and authorization are done would be completely different?

I think the FCC testing was March 29 to April 2, 2010, not including tests done by independent 3rd-parties, which I think take place before the FCC testing.

That all makes sense. How does that impact the discussion on whether Apple may have tried to hide any cellular signal drops during the keynote by not having the phone activated?
  • Reply 318 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

:-) I wish we were all good at reading American sarcasm!!! (.. and good at communicating with less profanity)
  • Reply 319 of 451
    BTW.. happy independence day everyone! It has been a wonderful debate so far and the independence is worth it!! :-)

It's a great day to go out for a little Caneo or Kayak trip with your family. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

PS: I was careful enough to take only my 3GS and leave 4 at home
  • Reply 320 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

PS: I was careful enough to take only my 3GS and leave 4 at home

But a terrible tragedy!!

Happy Interdependence Day, even though I'm dual nationality, US and UK.