Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy

Comments

• Reply 281 of 451
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I not quite sure what you're saying here. If your asking asking me to explain why you sometimes get the message "Could not activate data network." on your 3GS whilst you have the phone activated I don't know all the reasons why that happens. I do know that it can happen when carriers make changes to their networks or experience problems, so that may have been why you got that message.

The actual message is noted here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=112

Your version is misleading and incorrect.
  • Reply 282 of 451
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The actual message is noted here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=112

Your version is misleading and incorrect.

No I'm not wrong. I've already said that message will come up if the phones not activated, that's obvious. What's not so obvious is why it pops up when people have already activated their phones and for that I have just given two reasons.
  • Reply 283 of 451
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:

No I'm not wrong. I've already said that message will come up if the phones not activated, that's obvious. What's not so obvious is why it pops up when people have already activated their phones and for that I have just given two reasons.

Like I said earlier in this or some other thread, Apple must be low on cash that they did not want to activate a $25 subscription on a launch demo phone. The launch demo is not that important, after all, they can sell millions of phones to people like me regardless of the demo.
  • Reply 284 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Like I said earlier in this or some other thread, Apple must be low on cash that they did not want to activate a $25 subscription on a launch demo phone. The launch demo is not that important, after all, they can sell millions of phones to people like me regardless of the demo.

It does seem odd but there may be a legitimate reason and like you say $25 isn't it.
  • Reply 285 of 451
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Or maybe they simply didn't have FCC approval yet. No need for silly conspiracy theories.

I wish people would stop with the "Apple must be incompetent or stupid or dishonest" theories when they are usually none of the above.
  • Reply 286 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or maybe they simply didn't have FCC approval yet. No need for silly conspiracy theories.

I wish people would stop with the "Apple must be incompetent or stupid or dishonest" theories when they are usually none of the above.

Ofcourse! Walt Mossberg was an exception, though. And the 5 AT&T bars showing up in the picture are fake too, the phone was not really registered to the network (FCC rules!), it was just a demo. So was the facetime call Steve placed to Jon Ive. That was not real, through AT&T, was it? Don't tell me it was through WiFi. The voice call was first placed over AT&T before switching over to WiFi.
  • Reply 287 of 451
    Quote:

Ofcourse! Walt Mossberg was an exception, though. And the 5 AT&T bars showing up in the picture are fake too, the phone was not really registered to the network (FCC rules!), it was just a demo. So was the facetime call Steve placed to Jon Ive. That was not real, through ATT, was it? Don't tell me it was through WiFi. The call was firt placed over ATT before switching over to WiFi.

You are mixing up the timeline here. Again, the whole thing is much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 288 of 451
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As to the keynote wifi problem, I find it odd that when the wifi failed and the iPhone 4 switched to cellular that the iPhone 4 hadn't been activated. If that's typical for Apple, then fine, no conspiracy theory, but if it's not is does make me wonder if they may have done that in attempt to mask any possible antenna issues.

That doesn't make any sense. They didn't activate all the demo phones at the keynote to hide reception problems even though they were going to use WiFi exclusively? Or they oddly choose the much faster WiFi to demonstrate the new phone (like they always do) instead of choosing AT&T's network (like they never do) to demonstrate the speed of the phone?

I'm sure it all worked fine before the bloggers got there. I think it's likely they'll have a solution in place for the next event.
  • Reply 289 of 451
    Quote:

You are mixing up the timeline here. Again, the whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Oh yes, I am really sorry. I was mixing up the timeline. I did not realize that FCC approved it in the middle of the demo.
  • Reply 290 of 451
    Quote:

When has that message popped up for people who have already activated their phones? It won't pop up unless the phone is a) able to contact the cellular network AND the phone/sim hasn't been activated. Thus, the appearance of that dialog, in and of itself contradicts your claims about what happened. If the phone couldn't contact the cellular network, as you imply, that dialog would never appear. Your entire "theory" around this dialog is complete nonsense. You know it's nonsense, yet you keep pushing it in thread after thread.
  • Reply 291 of 451
    Quote:

Oh yes, I am really sorry. I was mixing up the timeline. I did not realize that FCC approved it in the middle of the demo.

You are mixing up the timeline because Walt Mossberg didn't have the phone at that time, so combining the 2 as related is invalid. The rest of this line of thought is invalid because you have no idea of any of the conditions of use during the demo, allowances of use prior to FCC approval, etc., etc., etc.

There are issues affecting the iP4, but not the issues you are screaming about.
  • Reply 292 of 451
    Quote:

When has that message popped up for people who have already activated their phones? It won't pop up unless the phone is a) able to contact the cellular network AND the phone/sim hasn't been activated. Thus, the appearance of that dialog, in and of itself contradicts your claims about what happened. If the phone couldn't contact the cellular network, as you imply, that dialog would never appear. Your entire "theory" around this dialog is complete nonsense. You know it's nonsense, yet you keep pushing it in thread after thread.

I can tell you when that dialog happens. This posting has nothing to do with the overall argument.

1. If you configure an incorrect APN (default is "internet"), not approved by AT&T for your SIM (in some cases IMEI), the SGSN rejects the PDP context activation. That is shown as "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

2. If you have the right APN configured, but your specific SIM is not authorized with PS services, SGSN again rejects PDP context activation. This is also shown as "You are not subscribed a cellular data service"

So, in essense, this message is nothing to do with poor signal or antenna issue nor as someone suggests, FCC approval.

It's just that Apple did not activate PS services on this phone. Question is, "why"?

PS: If you don't know what PDP context is, what SGSN is, what APN is, what IMEI is or what PS services are, please don't bother replying.
  • Reply 293 of 451
    Quote:

I googled this yesterday. I got a macrumors thread where people were saying they were getting this same message and asking why when they were already activated. A convincing reply was that it was that the cellular network were making changes and whilst that was in progress was causing that message to appear. A number of other posters in that thread were experiencing the same thing. Google it if you don't believe me.
  • Reply 294 of 451
    Quote:

I can tell you when that dialog happens. This posting has nothing to do with the overall argument.

1. If you configure an incorrect APN (default is "internet"), not approved by AT&T for your SIM (in some cases IMEI), the SGSN rejects the PDP context activation. That is shown as "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

2. If you have the right APN configured, but your specific SIM is not authorized with PS services, SGSN again rejects PDP context activation. This is also shown as "You are not subscribed a cellular data service"

So, in essense, this message is nothing to do with poor signal or antenna issue nor as someone suggests, FCC approval.

It's just that Apple did not activate PS services on this phone. Question is, "why"?

You are exactly right that this message has absolutely nothing to do with poor signal or antenna issues. In fact, as I have pointed out, you will never see this alert if you don't have signal.

As for why it wasn't activated, that could be related to FCC approval, it could simply be that they didn't activate it to insure that it was using WiFi for the demos because obviously, they want to use the fastest network possible for demos, and that is by far WiFi, or it could be for some other reason which we are not privy too. But to jump to the conclusion, or profess to conclude, that it is in any way related to antenna issues, or Apple's "desire to hide antenna issues", is to either be engaged in conspiracy theory thinking, or intellectual dishonesty, respectively
  • Reply 295 of 451
    Quote:

I googled this yesterday. I got a macrumors thread where people were saying they were getting this same message and asking why when they were already activated. A convincing reply was that it was that the cellular network were making changes and whilst that was in progress was causing that message to appear. A number of other posters were in that thread were experiencing the same thing. Google it if you don't believe me.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with antenna issues or the WWDC demo. Is your thinking that hopelessly confused or are you intentionally attempting to confound utterly unrelated issues?
  • Reply 296 of 451
    Quote:

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with antenna issues or the WWDC demo. Is your thinking that hopelessly confused or are you intentionally attempting to confound utterly unrelated issues?

Well it does contradict what you just said.

Wifi is quicker, especially with the new n band, again no one is disputing that. The wifi should just stay on wifi and not switch to the slower signal so it's surprising that Apple would see fit to not to activate the phone for that reason, but I don't know for sure. They, like you say, may have had other legitimate reasons for not activating it, but supposing this is highly unusual for them to do, would that then spur you on at all to be curious whether this was soley to cover up any possibilities of the iPhone 4 antenna issues? Maybe not and that's fine, but I'm curious and I suspect other people are too. If you don't like that, ignore it and read and respond to other posts that you find interesting.
  • Reply 297 of 451
    Quote:

Well it does contradict what you just said.

Wifi is quicker, especially with the new n band, again no one is disputing that. The wifi should just stay on wifi and not switch to the slower signal so it's surprising that Apple would see fit to not to activate the phone for that reason, but I don't know for sure. They, like you say, may have had other legitimate reasons for not activating it, but supposing this is highly unusual for them to do, would that then spur you on at all to be curious whether this was soley to cover up any possibilities of the iPhone 4 antenna issues? Maybe not and that's fine, but I'm curious and I suspect other people are too. If you don't like that, ignore it and read and respond to other posts that you find interesting.

Sorry, but an argument that is based on supposing your main premise is true is no argument at all.

I don't think you are curious at all. I think you are being intentionally dishonest to forward your own agenda.

As I have said, there are some issues with the iP4, but they aren't the issues you are being deliberately disingenuous about.
  • Reply 298 of 451
    Quote:

You either have no idea what you are talking about, or don't care. The iP4 did not "switch to cellular". That dialog will come up for any cellular iDevice that hasn't been activated whenever the cellular features are turned on, even if you aren't attempting to use them. It's meaningless, you've been told it's meaningless, yet you keep pushing this nonsense.

You are either incapable of rational thought, or you aren't posting here with any interest in the truth.

I missed this post, but I'm sure you won't believe me.

I would have thought the dialogue came up in this case because it switched from wifi to cellular when the wifi stopped working. If you can prove that that wouldn't have happened, please do.
  • Reply 299 of 451
    Quote:

Sorry, but an argument that is based on supposing your main premise is true is no argument at all.

I don't think you are curious at all. I think you are being intentionally dishonest to forward your own agenda.

As I have said, there are some issues with the iP4, but they aren't the issues you are being deliberately disingenuous about.

I'm curious, but to some extent you're right. I already know how my phone behaves and that's my biggest concern. The bigger issue is whether Apple is being misleading, which from their actions and what they've said so far I know they are. That makes me question the keynote too.
  • Reply 300 of 451
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I kind of doubt a "death grip" alone is going to yield sweaty palms. The only two kinds of holds I've seen online are mostly death grip, which was also shown in Apple promotional materials, and one a person was kind enough to show a hold that appears was learned from time pitching baseballs, and frankly, looked as least as awkward to me.

Something I haven't noticed in any stories (yet) is what frequencies a given test using. Being on a 0.9GHz signal can get very different results than 1.8GHz just by differences in propagation, the higher the frequency, the higher the attenuation. Is there a way to check this?

I suppose another solution is to not hold a phone to your face. I don't remember anyone suggesting that one. People seem to forget there are these hands-free headsets and earpieces for sale, and I think it's a lot less awkward than holding a block to your face.