Microsoft exec compares Apple's iPhone 4 to Windows Vista

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Too funny! MS is so far behind the game in both Computer AND mobile OSes it sad! I just got my iPhone 4 a couple days ago. I tried to drop the bars with the so called "Death Grip", and it just isn't like people are saying. I've covered as much of the metal band as possible with my hands and it drops 2 bars at most. Vista is a F-up of gargantuan proportions!

Mine often drops 5 bars.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

apple's detractors are pulling out all the stops to make this an issue.

What about people like me who have been buying apple products for 25 years? I have no hatred for Apple. But my iPhone 4 had serious reception problems before my pre-ordered bumper arrived.

The reception problem is a real issue no matter what kind of immature arguments are being waged one way or another. The existence of idiots on either side has no bearing on whether the problem is real or not.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

What about people like me who have been buying apple products for 25 years? I have no hatred for Apple. But my iPhone 4 had serious reception problems before my pre-ordered bumper arrived.

The reception problem is a real issue no matter what kind of immature arguments are being waged one way or another. The existence of idiots on either side has no bearing on whether the problem is real or not.

You are right. There is a problem.

However, even with the problem (i.e. holding the iPhone with the death grip), the iPhone 4 still has better reception than earlier iPhones.

The reception problem looks bad because Apple was inflating the bars, which made a bad signal look decent. If there is one thing we should have all learned by now, it is that bars are completely meaningless.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    And the 3GS will be Apple's XP. Glad I have a nice 32 gig - works great and they still sell them BTW.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    You people are all too funny, ya know?

So Vista is automatically crap, no matter what. It's an epic failure, blah blah blah. BUT, this ip4 issue is really just blown way out of proportion and really is a non-issue.

Good Christ, don't you people hear yourselves? On one hand, nobody will admit that not everyone has issues with Vista and it's a failure entirely, on the other hand, since not everyone is having issues with their iphone4, it's not a failure whatsoever, and the issues are over-exaggerated.

I personally never had issues with Vista, so I can't bitch about it, but that doesn't mean issues never existed. IT'S THE SAME WITH THE IP4, REMEMBER THAT.
  • Reply 26 of 113
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Vista is a F-up of gargantuan proportions!

Don't forget Kin!
  • Reply 27 of 113
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    A new phrase, "to do a Vista", meaning to screw up a product massively!

I do wonder how Apple can work to stop the media turning against them, or if it's something they now have to accept, being the 500lb gorilla in the room?

It does seem that there is a lot more negative press than there used to be. The antenna issue, regardless of how big the problem actually is, is being portrayed negatively in the media, the Flash decision on iPad was spun to make Apple look like a bully, the stolen iPhone 4 ended up with Apple looking bad.

The interesting thing to me is that all the three things I mention seem to be pretty much non-issues. The antenna is surely a pain in the arse if it affects you, but easily avoidable, Apple were technically spot on with the Flash decision and the stolen iPhone 4, Apple were the innocent party. However, all of them ended up with Apple looking bad.

So, I'm wondering, have the press just decided to turn against Apple, or are Apple losing their press management skills?
  • Reply 28 of 113
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

However, even with the problem (i.e. holding the iPhone with the death grip), the iPhone 4 still has better reception than earlier iPhones.

The reception problem looks bad because Apple was inflating the bars, which made a bad signal look decent. If there is one thing we should have all learned by now, it is that bars are completely meaningless.

The 3gs was shown to be better. Don't you remember that article posted a few weeks ago?

Besides, it doesn't matter how much better the reception is if the call is dropped.
  • Reply 29 of 113
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    If Turner would just pull his head in a bit, we could put the toilet seat all the way back down.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    I actually think Xbox 360 is the closer match to iPhone 4. Both hardware products.. Both having a failure that prevents them from working at their basic function. Both denied by the maker, both facing class action suits for the defect, and then eventually having to capitulate and acknowledge the gadget is just flawed by design. Xbox 360 due to compromises made due to ineptitude on thermal effects and an overly aggressive timetable, iPhone 4 due to ineptitude and a likely refusal to compromise 'the pretty design' with laws of physics.

Oh yeah, and both costing in the vicinity of $1+ billion to address. (except MIcrosoft still basically didn't fix it for existing owner, hence the '100%' failure rate.)
  • Reply 31 of 113
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Arrrrgh! Are you really not comprehending?

This isn't about the bars. This is about the fact that my phone4 couldn't place phone calls from my home or from my work. Meanwhile, all other phones could. A bumper fixed the problem.

Or perhaps you are saying I'm lying. ?
  • Reply 32 of 113
    The iPhone 4 is bounded to be a success - Microsoft doesn't like it!

Macscoop
  • Reply 33 of 113
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    One problem on an otherwise awesome product does not make it a Vista.

If it took 30 seconds for the home screen to come up, then I'd accept the comparison.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The iPhone will prevail. Microsoft will sell phones and might gain market share but not because of the iPhone 4 issue. They'd gain market share from elsewhere.
  • Reply 35 of 113
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Dear Mr. M$ CEO,

I don't think it's such a good idea to remind people of what a colossal failure your previous OS was. Especially when your next OS launch is right around the corner.

Sincerely,

Com N. Senz
  • Reply 36 of 113
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    you don't think MS put out that stinker Vista on purpose?

That is business. Planned obsolescence.

Anyway, the iphone reception issue can be resolved. I think Apple will revise the design and take a financial hit because of it. I for one have no problems with my awesome I phone 4.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I have to admit, though, I'm pretty surprised that the antenna "issue", no matter how impactful, slipped through product testing. Given that reception is one of the primary concerns of 3G/3GS owners (warranted or not, whether AT&T's fault or design), I expected Apple would have that aspect sewn up.

I was surprised, too, but the notion becomes easier to grasp when you factor in the fact that the reception issue only seems to happen in certain places - perhaps with weaker coverage - and that the tests in the wild where conducted with disguised iPhones in cases, eliminating the issue. So if you figure that reception on the Cupertino campus was really good, then there was no way of ever coming across the problem in the wild while the phones were encased.

Either that, or all Apple employees are right handed.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm OK with that," Turner was quoted as saying.

That is just uncalled for.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It does seem that there is a lot more negative press than there used to be. The antenna issue, regardless of how big the problem actually is, is being portrayed negatively in the media, the Flash decision on iPad was spun to make Apple look like a bully, the stolen iPhone 4 ended up with Apple looking bad.

Here's what's coming next.

In other news, Steve Jobs was discovered by a Fox reporter to have personally designed the iPhone while eating kittens and making weapons of mass destruction to sell to the Canadian Goverment, in a swift boat.

Analysis by our team of experts at 10.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Vista (noun): A product that attracts a wildly disproportionate amount of negative attention and yet still sells like hot-cakes.

Yeah, it's probably an appropriate analogy.