Microsoft exec compares Apple's iPhone 4 to Windows Vista

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

When this iPhone controversy first started I made a joke that I had read where Apple was going to offer left-handed and right-handed iPhones. Upon reflection some three weeks later I'm beginning to think that might not be a bad solution.

That would help a lot but peoples pinkies might still quite easily bridge the gap, but a whole lot better than the way it is now.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

At which point, Turner activated the Genesis Device countdown and quoted Melville before dying.

To the last, I grapple with thee;

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee;

For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

I know they're Melville's lines, but Khan's delivery is one of the best movie moments ever!
  • Reply 103 of 113
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I'd hardly say that the iPhone 4 antenae problem is on the same level as the Vista problem. As one person said, it can be fixed with a simple non-conductive coating or adding the "bumper".

All Apple should do is give out free "bumpers" to existing owners who have a problem, if that fixes it. Apple can then fix future iPhone 4's by adding the non-conductive coating.

Apple, however is going to become the butt of all jokes.

Believe or not, Vista was fixed nicely after Service Pack 1, but initial bad reputation was - in Vista'a case - impossible to beat.

That being said, I really don't expect iPhone 4 can/will gather that much bad reputation... unless Apple completely fail to fix antenna issue and stick with their "hold it differently" story.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Believe or not, Vista was fixed nicely after Service Pack 1, but initial bad reputation was - in Vista'a case - impossible to beat.

Bingo. The iPhone 4\\Vista comparison is apt.

Not that many people had problems with Vista, and what problems they did have were mainly caused by 3rd party applications and drivers , not the OS itself (comparison here is poor AT&T reception magnifying any reception issues of the iPhone itself).

After SP1 most Vista problems were fixed and it was pretty close to what W7 is now. (comparison here is a software fix, free bumper etc from Apple to fix the issue)

However Vista had already been pounced on by the media, bloggers and competitors and Microsoft simply couldn't shake the bad PR around Vista, even though the problems were fixed.

Nothing shows this better than the Mojave Experiment.

With this analogy I think Turner is alluding to the PR around the products more than the products themselves.

The one big difference I see is that whilst Microsoft were trying to fend off the brilliant advertising minds at Apple who were working overtime to reinforce the Vista stereotype, Apple has nothing more than a few offhand comments to compete against.

I have a feeling that Apple will come up with a fix and this whole thing will blow over unless Verizon/Google/Microsoft decide to throw a few hundred million into an advertising campaign against the iPhone, highlighting the reception issues and reinforcing the stereotype.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Don't see the controversy, it's a spot on comparison. Vista had its issues but was actually a decent product that had its initial flaws way overblown, and it could not recover from that. Despite its multiple advantages over XP, people still treat it like a leper.

iPhone 4 looks to be going down the same route, and could be plagued by the "can't keep reception" image throughout the rest of its life, regardless of truth/its multiple advantages.

As for the "and I'm OK with that", of course he is. This is the best case scenario for MS, who were well and truly out of the count with their rushed Windows phone 7. iPhones pristine image taking a stumble is exactly what they needed to even stay above water. This entire scenario must be like mana from heaven for Redmond.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Funny, I had a launch XBox 360 and never had any issues with it. None of my friends did either. The one acquaintance I did know of that had an issue sent it back and got a new one. To say they had a 100% failure rate is silly. I think MS did a great job with how they handled the red ring errors even taking them back way after warranty expired.

I'm on my third Xbox 360. I bought one shortly after launch in 2005 and it died after about 6 months. The replacement console died after about another 6 months. Thankfully, it was third time lucky and I've had no problems now for 3.5+ years.

Microsoft were dumb to initially deny that there was a problem but eventually did a good job of resolving the issue. Returning my console was painless and they always gave me something (Xbox Live subs, games) to say sorry.

I'm not particularly angry at Microsoft for my console failing. I can't remember how many times I've taken Apple laptops in for repair over the years and I still use them.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    While I don't drink Apple koolaid, and feel it serves iPhone owners right, nothing comes even close to the colossal failure Vista is. It is this arrogance and ignorance that will cause Microsoft to continue with failed products. Nobody cares about the Windows phone. There's a lot I disagree about Apple's choices but overall they build solid products. This one thing Microsoft can never claim.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

i read that they only sold like 10k of those,

Just as the human mind will suppress unpleasant memories, the actual number has been kept a closely guarded secret.

This source alleges your source is off... way off.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Bingo. The iPhone 4\\Vista comparison is apt.

Any analogy has some validity as long as you don't stretch it too far.

The really funny part is when Jobs gets on stage tomorrow and reminds the press that Apple already has a 30 day full money back policy - and that only x% of customers are returning the iPhone (where x is apparently a very small number). Then they'll mention the software fix along with any other fix.

Then Jobs will say: "OK, Mr. Ballmer. We've given the customers a free fix for the iPhone problems. Where is your free fix for Vista?"
  • Reply 110 of 113
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Sorry, I have to disagree. In the court of public opinion, the iPhone 4 is already a Vista. EVERYONE "knows" the iPhone 4 is problematic, regardless of whether or not it actually is. Apple has already lost the battle for "common knowledge" on the product; it is permanently tainted in the cultural vernacular. Not everyone knows that Android phones have issues, but even technically-ignorant grandmothers have heard of the iPhone 4's problems.

I honestly don't know if a recall would help or hurt, but the only way Apple can fruly fix things is to move on and release the iPhone 5. That's what it took for Microsoft with Vista, Ford with the Edsel, Disney with EuroDisney, McDonald's with the Arch Deluxe, etc.

my Dear Ktappe,

Didn't you Read the CR Report properly? They still gave the iP4 76 out of 100 points, where as the next best smartphone (funnily the iP3 gs) got only 76 points. So how for heavens sake do you think Apple should have lost even a tiny bit of the battle?????
  • Reply 111 of 113
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Any analogy has some validity as long as you don't stretch it too far.

The really funny part is when Jobs gets on stage tomorrow and reminds the press that Apple already has a 30 day full money back policy - and that only x% of customers are returning the iPhone (where x is apparently a very small number). Then they'll mention the software fix along with any other fix.

Then Jobs will say: "OK, Mr. Ballmer. We've given the customers a free fix for the iPhone problems. Where is your free fix for Vista?"

SP1/SP2 and XP downgrades. The main thing they did though was tighten up WHQL and started helping 3rd party hardware companies to fix their Windows drivers (which was the main issue with Vista in the first place)

The problem Microsoft had was their competitors saw the opportunity and went for the jugular. There was no way they could turn around the public perception of Vista whilst millions was being thrown into advertising to reinforce the negative stereotype.

Eventually they just decided to run with the negative publicity and pretend like there was something magical in Windows 7 that fixed all of the "problems" in Vista, where in reality W7 is nothing more than Vista SP3. For the most part it worked. W7 was met with overwhelmingly positive reviews and some of the quickest uptake in Windows history. Oddly (or maybe not) Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (which are based on Vista and W7 code bases respectively), were received positively from day one.

The answer to "what's in a name" would, in this case, seem to be "everything".

In any case Apple don't have to contend with any of that because all they have is a few grumpy bloggers and offhand comments. My guess is they will offer a free bumper and in 6 months everything will be forgotten.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I thought you had to actually have a product to be "in the game".

Actually their phones look preety tight, though I still can't get over the text being cut off. Makes no sense. The phone Apple might as in a little, worry about is the android phone and how many google apps will be cool and if they start to offer something very cool like sync, calanders. To do, etc, for 100% free.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    I think this is poor wording by a Microsoft (exec?)

First, they are indirectly admitting that Vista was a flop. No matter how bad Vista was, they shouldn't admit it in this way (reminding consumers that Vista sucked).

And further on, he indirectly admits that Microsoft is behind in the smartphone OS market! Geez!

Instead, he should say something along the lines of "this is a chance for more people to see how great Microsoft's software is!" They need to set a good example, they are getting paid for this.

As for the OS wars comment, same thing, he should say it is a great opportunity for Microsoft to EXTEND THEIR LEADERSHIP in smartphone platforms.

They need to show that they believe their products are great and that they have confidence in them and their company.

I personally felt this was not the greatest choice of words for publicity.