Microsoft exec compares Apple's iPhone 4 to Windows Vista

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Sorry, I have to disagree. In the court of public opinion, the iPhone 4 is already a Vista. EVERYONE "knows" the iPhone 4 is problematic, regardless of whether or not it actually is. Apple has already lost the battle for "common knowledge" on the product; it is permanently tainted in the cultural vernacular. Not everyone knows that Android phones have issues, but even technically-ignorant grandmothers have heard of the iPhone 4's problems.

I honestly don't know if a recall would help or hurt, but the only way Apple can fruly fix things is to move on and release the iPhone 5. That's what it took for Microsoft with Vista, Ford with the Edsel, Disney with EuroDisney, McDonald's with the Arch Deluxe, etc.

Every products has problems at some point. The problem with Vista is they never went away. iPhone has an unwanted hardware defect that they will eventually fix.

Microsoft built Vista to perform in a way that consumers didn't want their OS to perform. In other words they thought they had good ideas and they turned out to suck.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I honestly don't know if a recall would help or hurt, but the only way Apple can fruly fix things is to move on and release the iPhone 5.

It's the iPhone 5 the one that's going to be released in January for Verizon?
  • Reply 63 of 113
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Simply amazing! Someone's managed to get Vista running on their iPhone 3G- http://tv.gawker.com/5587280/how-doe...rst-commercial
  • Reply 64 of 113
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's the iPhone 5 the one that's going to be released in January for Verizon?

There may or may not be validity to that rumor, but my contract comes up in Feb, and I'm not upgrading early until I find out definitely one way or another. I want an iPhone, and I want to stay on Verizon. I'm going to hold my breath until it happens... lol
  • Reply 65 of 113
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I just downloaded the new iPhone 4.1 SDK, and am installing as we speak!

I checked the API differences and there appears to be a solution:

There is a new API:

UIDontSufferFools

... it refuses to unlock the phone unless certain conditions are met.

Unfortunately, this will do nothing to reduce the anti-iPhone 4 hype....

... most of that appears to come from people who have never touched an iPhone 4.

/sarcasm

My apologies to those who have experienced real iPhone 4 problems and have posted here in a reasoned manner-- this sarcasm was not directed at you!

• Reply 66 of 113
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think the iPhone 4 thing is a bit overblown, but iOS 4 has left a bad taste in my mouth. It turned my iPhone 3G in to a slow, slow thing.
  • Reply 67 of 113
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    This is merely wishful thinking from MS. From what I can find out iPhone 4 sales are still booming. And I haven't seen any reports of people returning them for a refund. Of course it has only been 3 weeks.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    I am totally cool with my iPhone4. If Apple recalled it, I wouldn't send it in because it works great the way it is> with the bumper.

I'm also a windows user, I'm still using the XP64 from... I think six years ago, because that was the last good OS they put out. If I could do my window apps on macOS I would dump all my windows machines out the window.
  • Reply 69 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Vista never sold like hot-cakes.

180 million licenses sold up to July 2008, with enough profit generated to prop up all of Microsoft's other failures at the time. That's not bad for the apparently the worst OS ever written.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    4.1 doesn't fix iDeathGrip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6Qz...layer_embedded

But it does if you're not a troll!
  • Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Simply amazing! Someone's managed to get Vista running on their iPhone 3G- http://tv.gawker.com/5587280/how-doe...rst-commercial

Cute!

I almost wish I were Steve Jobs with a fix, in hand, for the iPhone 4 antenna issue.....

Here's what I'd [love to] do:

1) Announce that they are still working on the "bars" problem and expect a solution in 2-3 weeks.

2) Announce that Apple and AT&T are extending the 30-day return period to 60 days to accommodate those waiting for the solution.

3) Sit back and watch the feeding frenzy

... If you think the last 20 days (since the iPhone 4 became available) were over-hyped-- just imagine how the anti-Apple crowd would react to the above.

4) Then,just as the sharks begin devouring each other, release the fix that resolves the known issues...

5) I bet it'd take a week before the sharks realized that they'd been had!

It would never happen, but it would be fun to see the sharks destroy themselves!

And, the discussions on AI would return to sanity-- for a while!

Sigh!

• Reply 72 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think the iPhone 4 thing is a bit overblown, but iOS 4 has left a bad taste in my mouth. It turned my iPhone 3G in to a slow, slow thing.

I had the same problem with a 3G and rebooting fixed the problem. Others have posted that they needed to do a full restore.

If neither of those are successful, there is a way you can return to iOS 3.1.3-- by restoring from a prior to iOS4 backup.

• Reply 73 of 113
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I hear you there. I wish there was an easy, bullet proof way of going back to iOS 3.

At least in that regard iOS4 is like Vista - it does not run well on older equipment.
  • Reply 74 of 113
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had the same problem with a 3G and rebooting fixed the problem. Others have posted that they needed to do a full restore.

If neither of those are successful, there is a way you can return to iOS 3.1.3-- by restoring from a prior to iOS4 backup.

Unfortunately, rebooting did not help me, neither did a full restore. I am a bit gun shy of the method outlined at MacWorld because they said it does not always work.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    <Microsoft Says 12th Alleged Russian Spy Was Employee in Redmond >

and this isn't idle chatter. just check bloomberg news or google.

now we know the reason some people should just shut up.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I'd hardly say that the iPhone 4 antenae problem is on the same level as the Vista problem. As one person said, it can be fixed with a simple non-conductive coating or adding the "bumper".

All Apple should do is give out free "bumpers" to existing owners who have a problem, if that fixes it. Apple can then fix future iPhone 4's by adding the non-conductive coating.

Apple, however is going to become the butt of all jokes.

Actually, the fix is even simpler. I've been using it ever since the problem came to light: holding the phone very slightly differently. I'm left handed, and I'm supposed to be the demographic that's particularly slighted. But it's so easy to hold the phone so as to leave that one trouble spot alone. Haven't dropped a call yet.

Which is not to say they won't make that non-conductive coating trick.

As far as the jokes, yeah, it'll happen. It'll be like hearing comedians with that joke about "why can't they make the whole plan out of black-box material?" or like the old jokes about Newton's handwriting. Those went on long after they were no longer true. I had a Newton 2000 (or was it 2100? It's been so long) and the thing did astonishingly well at reading mixed cursive and printing. But people are stupid and prefer to remember the old joke than find out how things really are.
  • Reply 77 of 113
    The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners
  • Reply 78 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

4.1 doesn't fix iDeathGrip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6Qz...layer_embedded

But it does if you're not a troll!

Err...

iOS 4.1 is a developer release of the next version of iOS 4. It is not available to the general public.

I wouldn't expect 4.1 to address this issue at this time-- it wouldn't be available to those with the problem.

Usually Apple (and most software companies) fix high-profile issues in an x.y.z numbered release, where:

x.y is the current release level as in 4.0

z is the current update level as in 4.0.0

The "bars" fix is targeted at the current release and will, likely, be released as 4.0.1.

At the same time they are addressing issues with the current release, 4.0, a different team is adding new features to the next release, 4.1 (called a point release).

The last thing that is done before a new point release (4.1) is made available to the general public, is to to incorporate any fixes from the prior point release (4.0,z1, z2, z3...).

Otherwise everybody would be running around, getting in each other's way, changing what others have fixed... creating general chaos (kinda' like a thread on AI).

So the "bars" fix will. likely, be available to the general public, before the next point release (4.1).

• Reply 79 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're back in the game," Turner reportedly said. "And this game is not over."

At which point, Turner activated the Genesis Device countdown and quoted Melville before dying.
  • Reply 80 of 113
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Microsoft is *literally* defining The New Dictionary Of Product Failures.

*Vista is the new term for a serious stumble.

Dude, be careful. You don't wanna Vista this project.

*Kin is the new term for major fvckup.

OMFG! This is one unmitigated Kin.

Shouldn't that be like going number one or number two?

That is, instead of saying "This is a piss poor job!"

You'd say "This is a Kin One Job!"

Instead of saying "This food tastes like s*it,"

You'd say "This food tastes like Kin Two."