Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell'

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    So, Ballimer says "windows" and everyone assmes windows 7

Sure he said windows (phone 7) aint going onto tablet

But Windows (Compact edition - the update, probably calling it 7 as well) has been shown for tablets. Sure asus ditched it for android on their tablet they are bringing out, but that was a timing issue.

However, all are windows. Which one was Balimer meaning?
  • Reply 182 of 188
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

It's very common to see the following dialog box on information monitors all over the place:

Very common? I have been using firefox since before 1.0 and have never seen it.

Quote:

how would you like to see it here

why would they be surfing the net while they should be practising on their simulator?

I am sure they would equally like this in their simulator

but hten they wouldnt be running osx there just like they wouldnt be running windows

Now windows CE on their entertainment systems, that needs an overhaul
  • Reply 183 of 188
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Very common? I have been using firefox since before 1.0 and have never seen it.

Bad example. I haven't seen it with FF either and didn't intend to imply I did. It just happened to be the only screenshot I was able to find of the very common Windows "memory could not be read" error.

I've seen it on a number of information monitors in train stations, airports, subways... and once on an ATM.

Quote:

why would they be surfing the net while they should be practising on their simulator?

How's this one then?

Yes, it's running Windows.
  • Reply 184 of 188
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

... don't Google, research or ask someone else).

To the best of your knowledge, what does that dialog box actually mean?

I Googled it, and I still don't know.

However, I'm certain that it means you're SOL using your ATM, airport monitor, gas pump, electric utility, whatever.
  • Reply 185 of 188
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Experiment time! I'm going to ask you a question here and I want an honest answer (i.e. don't Google, research or ask someone else).

To the best of your knowledge, what does that dialog box actually mean?

Quote:

However, I'm certain that it means you're SOL using your ATM, airport monitor, gas pump, electric utility, whatever.

I don't think it's a specific Firefox error, it happens in various Windows programs. Something to do with unprotected memory space? Because an application can "accidentally" overwrite the memory space another application is using... AFAIK

For BSOD, that is usually a driver error. I think. Not bothered to know more
  • Reply 186 of 188
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

nvidia2008 pretty much go it. It basically means that the application displayed in the dialog tried to access a piece of information stored in RAM that wasn't actually there. The thing to remember is that it was almost certainly caused by a bug in the listed program and had nothing to do with Windows (i.e. if the app was on Linux or OSX it still would have encountered the same problem).

It's almost like putting a set of retread tires on your car and then blaming the car when they start to fall apart.

The problem with Windows is that it is often capable of displaying an "information" dialog that doesn't actually contain any "information" at all! The fact that you didn't know what this dialog meant (even after research!) is a case in point.

Thankfully Microsoft have put a little bit of effort into these dialogs so most of the time you will see something like this...

Error dialog

...and on Windows 7 this...

which makes a lot more sense then some error about memory and instructions!

nvidia2008 is correct about the BSOD. It is caused by an error with something running at the driver layer. This can be because of a buggy 3rd party driver or on the rare occasion a bug in one of Microsoft's own drivers. However, more often than not it indicates that there is a hardware problem.

Microsoft haven't really done much to clear up the ambiguity of the BSOD. About the only major difference with Windows 7 is that it can initiate a diagnostics check on start up in an attempt to detect a faulty RAM module.
  • Reply 187 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I just wish 'fanboys' would have a bit more humility than being so obnoxiously pro-Apple and anti-everything else. It's a really unappealing and arrogant attitude that simply serves to discredit what you say. I'm not directing this specifically at you btw, I'm more talking out load. However, this obnoxious, in your face kind of celebrating/gloating seems to be one of those really ugly American traits. If only some of our British modesty would rub off on you yanks, we'd all get along so much better.

British modesty:

What were you saying about Americans' obnoxious celebrating/gloating?

Haha, but seriously, I'm happy to be a fan of any company, selling any product or service who makes the effort to surprise & delight their customers the way Apple does. If you judge Apple products as a sheet of technical specs, you miss what is really important: customer experience.
  • Reply 188 of 188
    Quote:

It's very common to see the following dialog box on information monitors all over the place:

how would you like to see it here

Thankfully, Windows or any desktop OS can never be used in avionics, simply because it would not pass the rigorous safety & reliability certifications mandated by the FAA.

It's probably better to say that OS X, specifically iOS, offers a better overall user experience on the iPad than loading Windows 7 on a tablet and considering the tablet problem solved.

Quote:

I get your point, but consider a world with no alternative to the above phenomenon. You can't get your money from an ATM because the memory referenced at instruction 0x02389cfa could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click Debug to find another ATM, airport monitor, gas pump, electric utility, whatever. Good luck with that. Windows is everywhere!!! Consider how many times have you had a problem with customer service for whatever, because "our computers are down"...

Apple's iTunes Store accounts for billions of dollars of revenue for Apple every year. How many times has it "gone down"?

I don't think it's running Vista.

No, but Apple uses Windows CE-based portable point-of-sale terminals within their retail Apple Stores, and those systems seem reliable.

But I think that illustrates a counterpoint to anyone who thinks Apple is arrogant the way Microsoft is. A sign of arrogance is the "Not Invented Here" (NIH) mentality, and Microsoft is demonstrably the king of that. Apple licenses technology from everyone. They licensed 1-Click check-out from Amazon for iTMS. They licensed DTrace from Sun for Instruments. They license PDF from Adobe for use in OS X and Quartz 2D. OS X ships with Java; Windows doesn't. OS X ships with Apache web server, MySQL, Perl, Ruby. etc. Windows doesn't. Apple supports OpenGL, OpenCL, and GNU tools. Microsoft pushes their own proprietary APIs and tools. Out-of-the-box, the retail edition of Windows XP couldn't play DVDs because Microsoft wouldn't include a codec license for playing back DVD content.