Microsoft's Steve Ballmer: 'Apple sold more iPads than I'd like them to sell'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 188
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You posted this again in this thread, come on, anyone can get a picture like this and put their name to it. Pathetic!!!

ROTFLMAO!... Given the content/context of the post in which the pic(s) appeared, its appearance was quite applicable, as was the one displaying my iPad along with my Archos 5IT, iPod Touch, and Lenovo S10-3t.

Incidentally, I guess anyone can simply grab any random photo(s) off the internet prominently displaying www.appleinsider.com on the exact same thread/page/comment in which the first photo appeared.

Seriously Now... Be A 'Hater' All You Want, but At Least Attempt To Be Logical/Reasonable About It - Pathetic Indeed!
  • Reply 162 of 188
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

ROTFLMAO!... Given the content/context of the post in which the pic(s) appeared, its appearance was quite applicable, as was the one displaying my iPad along with my Archos 5IT, iPod Touch, and Lenovo S10-3t.

Incidentally, I guess anyone can simply grab any random photo(s) off the internet prominently displaying www.appleinsider.com on the exact same thread/page/comment in which the first photo appeared.

Seriously Now... Be A 'Hater' All You Want, but At Least Attempt To Be Logical/Reasonable About It - Pathetic Indeed!

I had pictures taken of my office and had the computer screen content changed by photoshop, since it showed sensitive information.

It is pathetic, why show that you have the products, just pathetic, childish way and does not prove anything to me or other people. "I got all the products look at me" real pathetic indeed!!

I have theory that you type of person, who looks for attention by saying everything opposite to what is being discussed , NOT devil's advocate', but just attraction seeker.

You seem to have this weak laugh and wink at end of all your sentences. Anyway next!

P.S. I been apple shareholder for long time, so Hmm hater I doubt it, OH do you want me to post a picture of my shares certificates to prove it..LOL...you so pathetic
  • Reply 163 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You have to wonder how you could enjoy your iPad so much when you've never had anything positive to say.

I guess you're simply too invested in your hate of Apple products to accept the fact that they make good products.

Electronic device stops working if it gets too hot. News at 11.

For me' 'enjoyment' doesn't directly correlate to a device 'being perfect' in every conceivable way.

I accept my iPad's (as well as any of my other gadget's) deficiencies because it does enough well to justify its usefulness to me.

As for the 'overheating issue'... I live in (extremely hot) Las Vegas and use my iPad daily while sitting out by the pool, and have not had any problem whatsoever.

Who Knows...
  • Reply 164 of 188
    Quote:

I had pictures taken of my office and had the computer screen content changed by photoshop, since it showed sensitive information.

It is pathetic, why show that you have the products, just pathetic, childish way and does not prove anything to me or other people. "I got all the products look at me" real pathetic indeed!!

I have theory that you type of person, who looks for attention by saying everything opposite to what is being discussed , NOT devil's advocate', but just attraction seeker.

You seem to have this weak laugh and wink at end of all your sentences. Anyway next!

With a full understanding that you might be a bit 'perturbed' at my easy debunking of your 'fake pic theory', I do have to say that even though 'GREEN' is apparently your favorite color... it's really not very becoming
  • Reply 165 of 188
    Quote:

P.S. I been apple shareholder for long time, so Hmm hater I doubt it, OH do you want me to post a picture of my shares certificates to prove it..LOL...you so pathetic

Really? YOU so pathetic -
  • Reply 166 of 188
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Ten minutes? Give me a break Ballmer. Why must he over exaggerate everything he says when he is talking about competition? Face the facts. We won in another category.

Wow, this reply really jumped out to me. We won?! Don't you mean, Apple won? Apple doesn't = we. Someone who thinks that Apples success = their own success really needs their head checking. Now I can begin to see where fanboyism comes from if people really actually think like that. Really amazes me.
  • Reply 167 of 188
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The .NET 4.0 Touch API is part of Windows 7 (it's what I was referring to). It's actually a pretty nice API and would enable some pretty decent apps. But again, Microsoft is trying to solve problems with technology that aren't technological problems.

I agree completely. Unfortunately what Microsoft are good at is writing tools for developers, making technology like deep zoom, .net and a whole bunch of stuff that makes it really easy to make really powerful apps. But consumers don't give a crap about how stuff works and that's where Apple succeed. They make things like the iPhone which OS doesn't even have things like garbage collection that's at least 15 years old. But it does have really nice animations and it looks cool. Not one app on the iPhone has any bit of technology that's complex, but it all looks cool and that's what people want.

MS are stuck with the issue that they can't piss off their partners by releasing there own hardware, they learned that from the Zune. But at the same time Balmers right, Windows powers everything from ticket machines to petrol pumps and it's not just the version you see on your desktop. That all means while Apple may be increasing it's revenue to an extent that it's about the same as MS, it's profit is still half. Apart from the history between the two, with Apples new products being iPods/Pads/Phones MS isn't the main competitor, the like of Sony now are.
  • Reply 168 of 188
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

The phenomenal rise in Apple's stock price is tied to their ability to keep creating growth markets. The iPod and iPhone have both lost the momentum they had and the iPad will only carry them for another 1 or 2 years. After that they need to create another market similar to the iPod/iPhone/iPad in order to maintain the same stock growth.

iPhone lost momentum? Sorry, but what? iPhone 4 is so far selling better than 3GS did for the same time period, which was the #1 selling mobile phone ever.

Why only give 1-2 years with iPad? Remember, the pixio-based iPod line had about an 8 years rapid growth run before you could reasonably say it stagnated, but Apple also managed to move to the iOS devices before that happened.
  • Reply 169 of 188
    Quote:

With a full understanding that you might be a bit 'perturbed' at my easy debunking of your 'fake pic theory', I do have to say that even though 'GREEN' is apparently your favorite color... it's really not very becoming

Quote:

Really? YOU so pathetic -

You so fully of yourself, you think I got upset by your comments,this is discussion group on internet, why should I get emotional over someone do not know, again pathetic. My objective is certainly not to score points on people like you, but to engage in healthy conversation, try it sometime. Again the weak wink..
  • Reply 170 of 188
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nice vid!

Where are the girls in bikinis-- this was a SI swim shoot, wasn't it.

Interesting... the iPad appears to withstand more severe sustained heat/direct unlighted conditions than the human body!

So, I guess the conclusion is that the iPad at the beach is OK for humanoid-- beach robots, not so much...

Thanks ...I didn't have the budget for swimsuit models Unless you wanted to see me in Speedos

Yeah, pretty much unless your leaving your iPad out in the sun to barbecue it (and doing silly things like deliberately wrapping it in a dark-coloured case), it should be fine. In other words, common sense use should be fine, from what I've tried.
  • Reply 171 of 188
    Quote:

As for the 'overheating issue'... I live in (extremely hot) Las Vegas and use my iPad daily while sitting out by the pool, and have not had any problem whatsoever.

My findings corroborate this.
  • Reply 172 of 188
    Quote:

Again the weak wink..

I don't think there's an emoticon for a "strong" wink. Seriously though, chill out guys...
  • Reply 173 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

But at the same time Balmers right, Windows powers everything from ticket machines to petrol pumps and it's not just the version you see on your desktop...

I was at a club last night and some of the cool visuals on the screens were interrupted by... Well, not a blue screen, but just a black screen with the Windows XP taskbar at the bottom. *Sigh*

The new Microsoft slogan:

Windows - We're Everywhere, So F** You Buddy!™

[Last serial post I'm making, I promise]
  • Reply 174 of 188
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Why wouldn't they be 'legit', I see absolutely no reason whatsoever not to tell the truth (as based on my experience) about anything, especially in some internet forum.

Feel free to 'examine' any/all images of my 'gadgets' I've ever posted anywhere on the internet... but be aware, there are thousands

Now about that Ballmer Guy...

Fair enough.

As someone who HAS used so many of these gadgets, and probably has a much more realistic view of the capabilities of each, do you believe that generic software can deliver the kind of experience that the AAPL model can?

By generic software, I mean software designed separately from the hardware and ecosystem.

I don't believe it can, and I don't think Balmer has the vision to develop the whole package from the ground up. I don't think he has the foresight to develop a new product category.
  • Reply 175 of 188
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I was at a club last night and some of the cool visuals on the screens were interrupted by... Well, not a blue screen, but just a black screen with the Windows XP taskbar at the bottom. *Sigh*

It's very common to see the following dialog box on information monitors all over the place:

how would you like to see it here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Wow, this reply really jumped out to me. We won?! Don't you mean, Apple won? Apple doesn't = we. Someone who thinks that Apples success = their own success really needs their head checking. Now I can begin to see where fanboyism comes from if people really actually think like that. Really amazes me.

I get your point, but consider a world with no alternative to the above phenomenon. You can't get your money from an ATM because the memory referenced at instruction 0x02389cfa could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click Debug to find another ATM, airport monitor, gas pump, electric utility, whatever. Good luck with that. Windows is everywhere!!! Consider how many times have you had a problem with customer service for whatever, because "our computers are down"...

Apple's iTunes Store accounts for billions of dollars of revenue for Apple every year. How many times has it "gone down"?

I don't think it's running Vista.

Furthermore: Apple has made lots of people lots of money.

As in: Lots. Of. Mon-ayy.

It was "fanboys" who saw Apple's products ten years ago and concluded they were vastly superior to anything else, with products flying off the shelves, and recognized the company's value was unappreciated to the point of being unreasonable. That's exactly how Warren Buffet became The Oracle of Omaha (he just doesn't invest in tech; he claims he doesn't understand it). "Fanboys" who do understand technology risked grand sums of their own money in Apple's future, and it's paid off handsomely. "Fanboys" with vision continue to do so today.

Yes, Apple's success = my own success.

Fanboyism? Guilty. Damn proud of it

I don't perceive any need to check my head. Of course that's probably the primary symptom of the need for head-checking.
  • Reply 176 of 188
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

It's very common to see the following dialog box on information monitors all over the place:

how would you like to see it here

I get your point, but consider a world with no alternative to the above phenomenon. You can't get your money from an ATM because the memory referenced at instruction 0x02389cfa could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click Debug to find another ATM, airport monitor, gas pump, electric utility, whatever. Good luck with that. Windows is everywhere!!! Consider how many times have you had a problem with customer service for whatever, because "our computers are down"...

Apple's iTunes Store accounts for billions of dollars of revenue for Apple every year. How many times has it "gone down"?

I don't think it's running Vista.

Furthermore: Apple has made lots of people lots of money.

As in: Lots. Of. Mon-ayy.

It was "fanboys" who saw Apple's products ten years ago and concluded they were vastly superior to anything else, with products flying off the shelves, and recognized the company's value was unappreciated to the point of being unreasonable. That's exactly how Warren Buffet became The Oracle of Omaha (he just doesn't invest in tech; he claims he doesn't understand it). "Fanboys" who do understand technology risked grand sums of their own money in Apple's future, and it's paid off handsomely. "Fanboys" with vision continue to do so today.

Yes, Apple's success = my own success.

Fanboyism? Guilty. Damn proud of it

I don't perceive any need to check my head. Of course that's probably the primary symptom of the need for head-checking.

I just wish 'fanboys' would have a bit more humility than being so obnoxiously pro-Apple and anti-everything else. It's a really unappealing and arrogant attitude that simply serves to discredit what you say. I'm not directing this specifically at you btw, I'm more talking out load. However, this obnoxious, in your face kind of celebrating/gloating seems to be one of those really ugly American traits. If only some of our British modesty would rub off on you yanks, we'd all get along so much better.
  • Reply 177 of 188
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

iPhone lost momentum? Sorry, but what? iPhone 4 is so far selling better than 3GS did for the same time period, which was the #1 selling mobile phone ever.

Remember we are talking about year-on-year growth here as it relates to the stock price. Not total sales from a zero base line.

Apple started off with "infinite" growth because they created a new market. Then it was something like 150% the first year, over 100% the next year and is expected to be 100% or under for this year (around 40 million phones for the year) and then decrease after that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why only give 1-2 years with iPad? Remember, the pixio-based iPod line had about an 8 years rapid growth run before you could reasonably say it stagnated, but Apple also managed to move to the iOS devices before that happened.

There are predictions of around 12 million iPads this year, well over 30 million in 2011 (so maybe 150% growth again) then slowing to 50 million in 2012 (maybe 60% growth).

Even if you expected Apple to maintain a 100% iPad growth momentum for 8 years they would need to be selling a new iPad to every man, woman and child in the world each year. It's not going to happen.

Like I said in my original post to maintain the same kind of phenomenal increase in the stock price they have seen over the past years Apple would need to keep creating new markets (like iPod, iPhone, iPad) every few years. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't be betting my house on it.

Every potential growth market they could enter seems to be iOS based as well (i.e. a "proper" Apple TV, in-car entertainment/GPS, small/medium business and enterprise, augmented reality... in a decade or so )
  • Reply 178 of 188
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Consider how many times have you had a problem with customer service for whatever, because "our computers are down"...

Yep, that or the "Sorry, our computers are slow today."

"Running Windows?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Well there's your answer."

At work, unfortunately a Windows environment, my peers will ask me for help. Not sure why, I'm not an uber geek, but I guess somewhat of one. Anyway occasionally I will help, but more often than not I reply, "Call IT," because I refuse to help. Working with Windows is just too frustrating. It's cumbersome and clunky. It causes too much "friction" to use Microsoft's words.

That's just two examples, there are many more. Friends and family running Windows don't get my help anymore either. "Switch to Mac," I say. "I'll help you then."
  • Reply 179 of 188
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Experiment time! I'm going to ask you a question here and I want an honest answer (i.e. don't Google, research or ask someone else).

To the best of your knowledge, what does that dialog box actually mean?
  • Reply 180 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I don't think there's an emoticon for a "strong" wink. Seriously though, chill out guys...

As I said I am not upset, no need to chill, thanks.