Acer exec says Apple's 'closed' iPad will drop to 20% market share

Comments

• Reply 61 of 235
    Acer needs to worry about Acer. Apple probably sold more iPads this year than Acer sold computers.
  • Reply 62 of 235
    Wang should be looking at what the iPod did to SONY rather than the Macintosh model when trying to predict the marketshare of the iPad. The iPad should drop to 70% if the competition ever gets off the ground.
  • Reply 63 of 235
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that is a fair point...but may i also point out that many Enterprises create apps for their mobile devices (as well as pc's) and having a closed platform like iOS is limiting.

See this to open your mind:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/profiles/
  • Reply 64 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that is a fair point...but may i also point out that many Enterprises create apps for their mobile devices (as well as pc's) and having a closed platform like iOS is limiting.

Why is it limiting? Enterprise has the iOS SDK. Enterprise does not [need] to distribute their apps through the App Store / iTunes. There is no Apple curation or involvement necessary for Enterprise iOS apps.

• Reply 65 of 235
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Stop quoting Blackintosh. Just go to User CP -> Edit Ignore List instead.

While there are some pretty bold claims here, he could end up being right. But for Apple to end up with 20% market share, the tablet market is going to have to expand tremendously. I'd expect iPad sales to continue to rise, but it's possible that the combined sales of all other tablets would outpace iPad sales. That wouldn't really be a bad thing though, more competetion means better tablets and a 20% share for Apple would still bring in a lot of proffit.

We'll see what happens, but if this claim comes true, Apple will have reshaped yet another market. A market that prior to the iPad, many people said didn't exist.
  • Reply 66 of 235
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Take it easy on Acer. They fulfill a need in the market place. Not everyone can afford the Apple Tax.

I agree with your initial statement, but not your conclusion. The trollish and disparaging term "Apple Tax" is meant to infer that there is no value added to Apple products, that you're just paying for the name. Would you say people drive Kias because they can't afford the BMW tax? I would say they can't afford the BMW.
  • Reply 67 of 235
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Low quality hardware? What world are you living in? The Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 can match the iPhone and in many cases beat it hardware wise. My Evo running 2.2 is far faster then the iPhone and that can not be debated.

Two things: You replied to a post that specifically named Acer " (Android = open because it can run on low quality hardware like Acer)" ..... but you replied and specifically left out the Acer brand .... what's up with that .... info manipulation for the purposes of posting ..... nah, can't be.

Number two .... you, of all people, should know that, anything and everything can be debated on the internet ...... where everyone is on the "honor system" (and seems to have an agenda) .... yeah, that's really reliable, huh?
  • Reply 68 of 235
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Open platform - depends on your defination of open. According to every manufacturer (other than Apple of course) MS and Google are open because they run on their hardware. So by that defination Apple is closed. THANK GOD for that.

But speaking of Google's openness. One should read TechRepublic's article on this. Google may be "open" but Google has put the consumer movement behind by years.

When Apple iphone was first available on AT&T, Apple convinced AT&T not to put their brand name on the phone and not to install their crapware on the phone. That set the direction for the US handset market to move to the open markets of Europe where the model is very successful.

After the failure of Nexus by HTC Google basically gave up and allowed Verizon to install all kinds of junk on the Android phone. It also allowed Verizon to nickle and dime the consumers to death.

So in reality Apple is far more open than Google and thanks to Google we will have a few more years of CRAPWARE to deal with.

Thanks Google. We love you so much.
  • Reply 69 of 235
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Take it easy on Acer. They fulfill a need in the market place. Not everyone can afford the Apple Tax.

What you see as an Apple Tax I see as the reason to we get the lower ownership cost of a Mac product. But, of course, if one can't see any further than the tip of their nose ..... than that would explain your opinion.
  • Reply 70 of 235
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Well, perhaps we will relive the classic Mac vs. PC fight of 20 years ago. We all know what happened then. Will history repeat itself? Different this time?
  • Reply 71 of 235
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

While there are some pretty bold claims here, he could end up being right. But for Apple to end up with 20% market share, the tablet market is going to have to expand tremendously. I'd expect iPad sales to continue to rise, but it's possible that the combined sales of all other tablets would outpace iPad sales. That wouldn't really be a bad thing though, more competetion means better tablets and a 20% share for Apple would still bring in a lot of proffit.

We'll see what happens, but if this claim comes true, Apple will have reshaped yet another market. A market that prior to the iPad, many people said didn't exist.

I have the same feeling. When you give away your OS to all comers (Android), the market will be flooded with wannbe iPads. Some just junk, some worthy imitations. Witness the PC and Android phone market: there are a lot of people out there for whom dirt cheap is good enough. Apple will just continue to be Apple, innovating and making great products for the discriminating buyer. If all Steve wanted to do was conquer the world, he would give away his OSes like Google.
  • Reply 72 of 235
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

May be I need to emphasize, after seeing various Android based tablets, I can conclude that "If it is not Apple, it will fail eventually. Archos, eeePad, WePad, Dell Streak (is it tablet, or jumbo phone?), JooJoo, Libretto, Black Pad, etc. There are also many $100 china tablet with "'unauthorized version of Android Market (thought Android is open?)". Are they selling (or predicted, not wished selling) well?

while i have no interest in buying this stuff, you've left off some decent tablets:

Exo PC, Slate, ink adam, ICD Ultra...

while the tech specs may say they're better than the iPad and the prices are lower, i'm NOT saying they're better, i'm saying that i don't think they will fail.
  • Reply 73 of 235
    These generic hardware makers will be beating up on each other much more than they beat up on Apple. How will they differentiate their wares from each other's when they all have the same but fragmented OS? It will end up just being like the commoditized low-margin PC market but it will be even more cutthroat as Acer will not only have to deal with the likes of Dell and Lenovo but with consumer electronics giants like Samsung, LG, and Sony as well as a slew of other smaller manufacturers who will only try to sell their stuff with better pricing and in turn drive down the margins down to bare bones.

The whole scenario is exactly what Apple wants: let the generic clone makers clobber each other and Apple can grab the lion's share of the profits on the high-end - just like with the smartphone. As I linked on another thread, Apple's market share of the global cellphone market is only 3% but Apple makes 48% of the profit share. What's the point of selling gazillions of anything if you're not making a good profit?
  • Reply 74 of 235
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If all Steve wanted to do was conquer the world, he would give away his OSes like Google.

You mean like they give away iPods?

Here's my rant on Apple iPod give-aways. When they give you a "free" iPod with your computer, they make you buy the iPod and apply for a "rebate." That way they can say they "sold" x-number of iPods, including the ones they give away. They shouldn't to that. It makes them seem slimy.
  • Reply 75 of 235
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Even if he's right about the 20%, Android tablets are definitely not going to take the other 80%. In it's current state, Android is not suited for tablets at all. It doesn't support typical tablet resolutions yet, the UI library is does not have any widgets that suit the larger screen area well, the multitude of different hw specs will make it hard to target 'the Android tablet', and just seeing how the Android market works, it seems most Android users primarily want free software to go with their cheap devices. All this combined will give Android for tablets a really hard time getting any traction among developers. Writing tablet applications takes more time and money than phone apps, so you'd have to have a lot of confidence in your application to target either a subset of Android devices or write for the lowest common denominator Android tablet, hoping that you'll sell enough copies at a $5 price point and not getting screwed over by the many cheapskates who pirate your app to run on their cheap, 'open' devices.

If there's going to be any serious competition for the ipad in the short term, it would be from the WebOS tablet from HP. Now that they bought Palm, they are currently the only company that has all the ingredients to create an interesting software/hardware platform for tablets. Microsoft could be another competitor with wp7, but right now it seems they have their hands full getting it out the door for phones first.
  • Reply 76 of 235
    This isn't a self-serving comment at all

Cheers !
  • Reply 77 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Stop quoting Blackintosh. Just go to User CP -> Edit Ignore List instead.

While there are some pretty bold claims here, he could end up being right.

Thank you for admitting I could be right. With all the negative feedback here, I was about to give up on this forum.

But so long as I have one supporter here, I will stay. Thank you very much.
  • Reply 78 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What you see as an Apple Tax I see as the reason to we get the lower ownership cost of a Mac product. But, of course, if one can't see any further than the tip of their nose ..... than that would explain your opinion.

And that is why I say your belly is full of Apple pie. You pay too much and you LIKE it.
  • Reply 79 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Customization is for the 5% geeky fringe. Most consumers could care less about reading the instructions, much less customizing their device. Ease of use and dependability are what 95% of consumers seek.

Exactly. Today my 4 year old daughter grabbed my wife's iPad and opened a movie on it. Granted we had let her play with it a while for a few months so she knew her way around. She knows that if she does not like the screen after she taps and icon, to hit the Home button and then start again. She found the Movies icon, clicked and saw her movies there. She then proceeded to click on them and found the volume and scrubber function. 4 years old. No way this would happen on a WinX or Android machine. Apple makes it simple.
  • Reply 80 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

Android is the Linux of mobile devices...

In which area?

In market share, Wang's picture doesnt fit with your idea.