Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 378
    720p. FAIL!

When will Apple adopt true HD instead of this cheap knockoff?
  • Reply 42 of 378
    Not paying 99 cents to rent a show that are freely available over the air.

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month. Renting shows at 99 each(not to mention only in 720p) would cost us WAY more than what we pay to dish.

Now I would be happy to use it to stream from my server as I do now on my HTPC but it's going to need to support 1080p, more containers, video formats and bitstream HD audio.

So for me, it's a useless device.
  • Reply 43 of 378
    This is probably going to sound really dorky, but the only thing stopping me from getting one is that it is hdmi only and doesn't have old fashioned video out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Damn they could have atleast thrown a DVD player in it, for people with a DVD player and Roku to go down to 1 device. Theres just absolutely no reason to buy this thing.

I assume most people who get this are probably going to want to rip their discs to their computer and stream them.
  • Reply 44 of 378
    It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!

Where's their apology right now? Well in the same place where their pride is ahah.
  • Reply 45 of 378
    It amazes me that people still believe all the rumors they read and expect the moon at every event...

I think the price point is spot on. I would purchase one to replace my PS3 which I use almost exclusively to stream content from my PC to the living room TV set. Who watches a movie / TV show more than once today with all the variety in programming? Is this going to replace your cable subscription? No. Then again the this is not aimed at people who pay 50-70$ per month. But for those who who watch only a few shows a week, this is a great option.

wish list:

- add a way for developers to create Apps for it (games!)

- stream from my torrent client directly to this without re-encoding it

- better support for other video formats

I am not sure if there is a USB plug but it would be great...
  • Reply 46 of 378
    Nope! You folks don't get it.....
  • Reply 47 of 378
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... don't quit your day job if you're thinking about going into UI design!

And don't quit your day job if you're thinking of going in to technical analysis, with that brilliant, in-depth, half-sentence response.
  • Reply 48 of 378
    Little disappointing user content has been shunned. I rarely buy from iTunes on my device. Now all my purchased content is buried. Nothing I purchased is visible from the home screen. Quite a step backwards. It's not like they don't have room to include an extra menu item like the current one does.

Looks nice and the price is good, but c'mon. Let my purchases be displayed front and center, not buried 3 menus deep.
  • Reply 49 of 378
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Disappointed that it doesn't have apps, but I'd forgive them if airplay lets me stream video from non apple sources on my iPhone to apple tv.

You can already stream anything to AppleTv has long has you convert it to .m4v format before then drag it into itunes. Handbrake will do this for free. You can also tag your files with identify complete with dvd covert and description.

This is going to be the best HTPC out there, but HTPC's are a hobby thing.
  • Reply 50 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month...

That's pretty cool. I've been wishing DirecTV would offer an HD-only package, but so far, no dice.
  • Reply 51 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

http://www.9to5mac.com/16669/steve-j...-and-your-govt

Quote:

Please educate yourself. UK prices must by law include VAT, which is around 18%. US prices do not include tax.

• Reply 52 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gbrandt View Post

Did I see a USB port on the back of the new Apple TV?

Thoughts on being able to plug in a DVD/Blueray player? Probably not BluRay, but DVD.

Gregor

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.
  • Reply 53 of 378
    Quote:

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month. Renting shows at 99 each(not to mention only in 720p) would cost us WAY more than what we pay to dish.

36 bucks a month doesn't seem "free" to me. Just saying. It would cost you more if you rent more than 36 shows per month, obviously. So perhaps the Apple TV is for people that don't watch that many shows, and want to watch them on the fly, whenever they want it, and not when the Networks want it?

Quote:

Now I would be happy to use it to stream from my server as I do now on my HTPC but it's going to need to support 1080p, more containers, video formats and bitstream HD audio.

Well, it's also useless to me, but I have a DVR... 1080p is not that worth the trouble.
  • Reply 54 of 378
    Quote:

Don't forget that the iTunes versions have no commercials. Yes, you can skip them, but it's still not as seamless as not having them in the first place.
  • Reply 54 of 378
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

No its not a DVR at all unfortunately.

If this is more than $99 its instant fail.

Love the people who make serious comments like this.
  • Reply 56 of 378
    I'd get the apple tv if you can connect it to monitors. I have a dell monitor with an dvi connector. Anyone know if there is a cable that goes from hdmi -> dvi so you can connect an apple tv to an external monitor?
  • Reply 57 of 378

No apps. No Games, NO SDK... Wha?

• Reply 58 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.

No such luck, that's not the way Steve wants you to use it. Personally, I'll stick to my existing AppleTV and my WDTV Live that'll play virtually anything I throw at it.
  • Reply 59 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Think about it! Why spend $99 for a Roku box when you can get this PLUS iTunes streaming plus rental movies. It makes absolute sense. They are going after the 1Mu+ Roku market.

Except the Roku HD is 30% cheaper than this.
  • Reply 60 of 378
    Quote:

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so..as for HD audio, tell me what internet service streams lossless audio. You're not being realistic.