Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 81 of 378
    [QUOTE=pmz;1705556]I have FIOS cable and never use it.

1. There's nothing on TV worth watching (except maybe 3 shows which are explicitly comedy, and do not attempt to shape people's thoughts with lying subtext)

2. I never watch shows when they're first aired (almost never. i have a life, a wife, a kid, and job. Who the hell has time to catch primetime programming?)

3. I would never pay monthly for a DVR box. (don't care how much or how cheap, i wouldn't do it. neither would millions of others)

OUSTANDING POINTS!!!! We don't have cable in our house, won't ever pay for it (or a dish) when we have NO TIME TO WATCH IT. We have (don't laugh) a DVD recorder that works just fine, and use Netflix and Hulu heavily. Not to mention the networks OWN websites that stream video that might not be 1080P all the time, but looks just fine on my 55" LG LCD.

This new AppleTV plays exactly to the crowd that Apple has had such a huge success with over the past few years--the average consumer. Win the "consumer market" and you will be RICH.

This makes my decision to purhcase a 2nd xBox 360 for netflix on my other TV or buying the slightly cheaper AppleTV that much more difficult.
  • Reply 82 of 378
  • Reply 83 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

I still don't think Apple is being serious about the AppleTV. Just making it smaller with no real storage and only able to stream content and rent content - not impressed. Even though they have dropped the price to $99 - I still think this will continue to be a "hobby". As for 99 cents rentals - I have a DVR. I was really hoping for an iPhone 4.0 type OS with internet access and Apps. I will keep my current model.

Thats what I was hoping for too, but no new iOS and really not that great "at least with the old model you can do just about all the same things plus if you download Atv Flash you are able to put other movies from outside your iTunes account "as some of us have other movies" as well as stream them from your computer or also add an extra drive as well .........I was really wanting more to come from this as others were as well ...I may just buy another older model to put in my guest room...as I waited to see this one but im kind of dissapointed....But the other products were great just seems as if they still arent ready to take this thing seriously, could be why they also added a HDMI plug to the new mac minis...Gheezzz thats why I brought one of those..."because as SJ said no one wants a computer in there living room connected to the tv.....ohhhh boy well just look at the sales of the new mac minis hummmm I think some of us do...
  • Reply 84 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well, I don't have a DVR or even cable for that matter... so, if you had an open mind or an imagination you could see how this device would be useful to some people.

People without cable are a tiny niche market. Apple does not serve tiny niche markets. Not anymore.

They aim straight for Mr. Average, but they are even more acute: They want Mr. Average who has extra bucks to spend, wants convenience, and is not inclined to check out cheaper or higher quality alternatives.

You are not the type of person Apple counts as a potential customer.
  • Reply 85 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I stream 1080p content to my WDTV Live all the time. As for Blu-rays, people have been ripping them for a while now.

By people you mean the privledged few who know how to do it and want to spend the time doing it. It's not easy.........so generic comments like yours don't mean much. And the fact that you use WDTV puts you in an even smaller user group.
  • Reply 85 of 378
    Just pre ordered mine. Planning to use it mainly for netflix and photos.

If you're having a problems pre ordering through the website, just use the apple store app. I pre ordered with no problems.
  • Reply 87 of 378
    Any thoughts on whether any of this new stuff will be a SW upgrade to the hard-drive based AppleTV? In particular, Netflix integration would be nice.
  • Reply 88 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Except the Roku HD is 30% cheaper than this.

How well does it integrate with iTunes content?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?

If it can stream from my computer, why would I need redundant storage at the TV?
  • Reply 89 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

We are slowly giving away our rights.

Apple customers want convenience. Simplicity. Cache and style.

You are talking to the wrong audience.
  • Reply 90 of 378
    It's perfect!

I'm a single father of a special needs boy and younger daughter; I don't get to go shopping for movies much, nor to Lackluster (er... Blockbuster). But during the day at work I hear about episodes I "have to watch" though I can't afford the extended cable services (like a box or premium channels).

The aTV gives me quick access to iTunes, NetFlix, web content and stuff I put on my MacBook.

For one low price.
  • Reply 91 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

By people you mean the privledged few who know how to do it and want to spend the time doing it. It's not easy.........so generic comments like yours don't mean much. And the fact that you use WDTV puts you in an even smaller user group.

Oh it's easy, trust me. It can be as simple as a few clicks or you can do long manual processes where you have more control. All depends on what you want.

Makemkv, available on windows, mac, linux, is a one stop program. Pop in disc, it will scan, present you with some file options, check what you want, click make mkv. It spits out a movie file. Done.
  • Reply 92 of 378
    Quote:

Google TV! A non-starter imo...

I do remember the same being said of Android when it was first announced... Hell, I even said the same thing when I saw the first builds of Android.

If the Revue is as simple as plugging it in-line between your TV and cable/satellite box, I'm willing to give it a chance to see how it'll perform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

How could Apple take money out of your pocket if you watch live TV?

It doesn't look like they are trying to make a killing on the razor, but instead, they want to sell you blades for the rest of your life.

Of course the media renting/buying will be where they'll make their money. I was thinking of more of just the option of letting me watch live TV through the device so I can:

1. Seamlessly switch between content without having to change the TV input

2. Not view the awful interface my cable box uses
  • Reply 93 of 378
    Quote:

Ripping Blu-Ray is incredibly easy now. I bought an ASUS Blu-Ray drive for $150 at Amazon and followed these instructions using free software:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1457...y_ripping.html
  • Reply 94 of 378
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wish it were also a router so I could buy it instead of an Airport Express. Still, at $99, this has me seriously thinking about dumping cable and getting a netflix account. How many movies a month could I watch via this box for an $8.99 a month Netflix plan? How good are the movies Netflix has available for streaming? The free movies that Comcast has on demand usually suck. They have hundreds available, but it's hard to find one worth watching.
  • Reply 95 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

How well does it integrate with iTunes content?

Roku doesn't integrate with iTunes. Early Roku streamers supported iTunes but couldn't keep up with iTunes releases so dropped it. Focused on Netflix.

If it can stream from my computer, why would I need redundant storage at the TV?

Spot on.......
  • Reply 96 of 378
    sandorsandor Posts: 665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

720p. FAIL!

When will Apple adopt true HD instead of this cheap knockoff?

1/2 the networks i record now with my DVR are broadcast in 720p. i'd rather see a focus on better content at 720p than shitty content at 1080.
  • Reply 97 of 378
    I won't buy this for one reason. No 1080p.

Even if Apple doesn't provide content over 720p, Netflix does.

This version is worse than the last IMO.
  • Reply 98 of 378
    not what i expected, but also not bad at all...i think this could be the foundation for something that can grow into the main living room device...

just add some hulu, maybe apps, and games (they would have to make a controller first of course), and other companies will be shaking....
  • Reply 99 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

3. I would never pay monthly for a DVR box. (don't care how much or how cheap, i wouldn't do it. neither would millions of others)

Seems to me that some of the millions who would never pay monthly for a DVR box may have issues with paying for broadband service as well. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but I'd bet that's the reasoning behind why some of those "millions" don't have DVR boxes.

BTW, for someone with so little time on his hands, you'd think a DVR would be the ideal thing for you. Then you could watch what you wanted to watch when you wanted to watch it (after it's been initially recorded that is).
  • Reply 100 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

Looks nice and the price is good, but c'mon. Let my purchases be displayed front and center, not buried 3 menus deep.

Your prior purchases do not make new profits for Apple.