Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 378
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Definitley getting one (or 3) to replace my Xbox 360 and PS3 for video streaming from my iMac. The Xbox and PS3 are fine but are anything but silent. At £99 (UK Price) its well worth it.

720p doesn't present an issue as you would be hard pushed to spot the difference at normal viewing distance (I have a 47" 1080p screen at present)

Airplay looks cool and will work with ALL iOS4 devices when available.

You can use your iOS device as a remote too

Channel surf, tap, and flick with the Remote app.

Control Apple TV using your iPhone or iPod touch. Download the Remote app free from the App Store. And with a flick of your finger, you can rent new movies and TV shows, scroll through the Netflix catalog, and browse your media collection. Remote uses the same easy-to-use interface you already use to browse music and video on your Multi-Touch device. So right away, you know how to navigate. If you want to find something specific, use your device’s QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen. Then keep tapping to play, fast-forward, rewind, and pause to your finger’s content.
  • Reply 62 of 378
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My first thought was that I might actually be interested at $99. Then, I thought again. It's a $99 wireless hub and that's all. I don't care about renting TV shows or movies through iTunes. I have Netflix on my PS3, giving me Bluray+streaming+gaming. I also have a multi-room DVR. I can rent movies if I choose through FiOs.

I think Apple is really going the wrong way here. Introduce an Apple TV with bluray, multi-DVR and physical media storage of 1-2TB. Charge $599 + $99 for satellite (other room) boxes like the current (new) Apple TV. Goodbye $40 a month charge for three boxes. I'm sold.

I'd tend to agree. Without DVR/PVR functionality, it is just a media extender. A well priced one, but a media extender nonetheless. Tivo with a lifetime coverage plan gives you the DVR, no monthly fees, media extended, etc. I think it also has netflix but maybe another service for on demand shows and movies.

It is a great price, but it doesn't replace any of my existing boxes and so would just be another box and more wires. But $99 is a low enough price point that I might try it out anyway. We'll see.
  • Reply 63 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

36 bucks a month doesn't seem "free" to me. Just saying. It would cost you more if you rent more than 36 shows per month, obviously. So perhaps the Apple TV is for people that don't watch that many shows, and want to watch them on the fly, whenever they want it, and not when the Networks want it?

No, $36 isn't free. But I also get many channels for that, that are not freely available over the air.

The only two channels apple has lined up, ABC and FOX, are freely available over the air.

My DVR also allows me to watch shows when I want to and skip commercials so I have the same flexibility.
  • Reply 64 of 378
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.

If you have a high capacity ipad or ipod you could stream from there. You could even buy something with your ipad then stream it to the AppleTV with no computer involved
  • Reply 65 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so..as for HD audio, tell me what internet service streams lossless audio. You're not being realistic.

Yes, I do stream HD from my server. Yes, I do rip bluray.

I didn't say I want to stream HD audio from the net. I want to stream it from my server. Which I do now to my HTPC.

I have little to no interest in internet content. I'm more interested in streaming from computers which the apple tv supports but is very limited on that support.
  • Reply 65 of 378
    Yes but Apple has way more iTunes users than Roku/Netflix subs...
  • Reply 67 of 378
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I have FIOS cable and never use it.

1. There's nothing on TV worth watching (except maybe 3 shows which are explicitly comedy, and do not attempt to shape people's thoughts with lying subtext)

2. I never watch shows when they're first aired (almost never. i have a life, a wife, a kid, and job. Who the hell has time to catch primetime programming?)

3. I would never pay monthly for a DVR box. (don't care how much or how cheap, i wouldn't do it. neither would millions of others)

------

These are some reasons why this AppleTV has a chance. The future possibilities of it running iOS and further interaction with iPhone/iPad (there's already a good amount) are wonderful.

I like it. For $99, I'll take one so I don't have to plug my iPhone into my TV everyday.

Biggest problem (con): No immediate access to apps like StreamtoMe, which will let your computer do the converting while you do the watching.
  • Reply 68 of 378
    We don't have rentals here in Japan, at least not yet (Steve gave me some hope, but the "system" here will likely block Apple as long as possible)... I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.
  • Reply 69 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Bingo! That's all it ever was. I don't understand why people don't get that!? It's really not that difficult of a concept: You have iTunes content on your computer and you want to watch it on your TV in the living room.

Honestly, what's with all the whining?

There's no whining. I was just expecting something more after all this time. Considering how Google TV allows for all the same features as Apple TV in addition to integration with whatever live TV service you have, I thought Apple would come up with something to match.

Honestly, what's with all this hostility towards a simple question?
  • Reply 70 of 378
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

No, $36 isn't free. But I also get many channels for that, that are not freely available over the air.

The only two channels apple has lined up, ABC and FOX, are freely available over the air.

My DVR also allows me to watch shows when I want to and skip commercials so I have the same flexibility.

This is clearly not a cable remplacement yet. But I think its a step forward.
  • Reply 71 of 378
    Then stick with your HTPC, why whine?
  • Reply 72 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so...

I stream 1080p content to my WDTV Live all the time. As for Blu-rays, people have been ripping them for a while now.
  • Reply 73 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you have a high capacity ipad or ipod you could stream from there. You could even buy something with your ipad then stream it to the AppleTV with no computer involved

True, but then your iPhone/iPod/iPad is on anyway, which doesn't seem like a big difference to me. You're still using power on two different devices, when one isn't actually in use.
  • Reply 74 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The CEO said that the new Apple TV does away with concerns of storage, as it is based on a rental model rather than purchasing.

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?
  • Reply 75 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We don't have rentals here in Japan, at least not yet (Steve gave me some hope, but the "system" here will likely block Apple as long as possible)... I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.

Its too bad the ipad cant handle these simple tasks on its own.
  • Reply 76 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I expected a LOT more from a new ATV. No app store is just mind boggling, what on earth were they thinking? The only addition of note is netflix which is US only anyway, so for the rest of the planet it's just the old ATV with the hard drive removed.

I really can't see this selling.

Hrm. I just pre ordered. People don't realize how handy the Apple TV really is. If you are the type of person that keeps stuff on your computer, i.e. movies, music, podcasts, etc., it gets old watching on small screen a lot. A majority of my day at home is me busy but listening to music. I love the fact that I can walk around, stream music to or play from apple tv, over the entire house with airport express and the apple tv. other than the crappers.....i can walk through the entire house and not miss a beat while listening to music. All the while controlling it with the iphone in my pocket.

Now that this is only $99 I can put the old one in our bedroom and rent movies without having to sit in living room to watch.

I wonder if they are going to lower the price of airport express now? It can't remain $99 now.
  • Reply 77 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

There's no whining. I was just expecting something more after all this time. Considering how Google TV allows for all the same features as Apple TV in addition to integration with whatever live TV service you have, I thought Apple would come up with something to match.

Honestly, what's with all this hostility towards a simple question?

Google TV! A non-starter imo...
  • Reply 78 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Where's the live TV integration part? It seems like Apple TV is still just "iTunes for TV" and for watching past episodes.

How could Apple take money out of your pocket if you watch live TV?

It doesn't look like they are trying to make a killing on the razor, but instead, they want to sell you blades for the rest of your life.
  • Reply 79 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?

All user content is moving to a cloud-based format. While storage might be cheap, why not store it on the cloud and have access to it on any device (Apple device that is)?
  • Reply 80 of 378
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    So, nothing really changes as far as the box is concerned--other than storage which was stupid anyway. I'm buying one, at last. 99 cent TV shows will be cool once more studios sign up, but, I can't drop my cable company just yet.