Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 101 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Cable is $60 - $100 a month and Tivo is $13, so depending on how much you watch this could be a great deal. If all our shows were on there we could cancel both and save $40. Not too bad.

And then not be able to watch any live broadcasting on traditional "cable" channels? No sports channels, CNN, etc? If all you're interested is pre-recorded broadcasts, and from a more limited number of networks, go for it. Much too limiting for me.
  • Reply 102 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

There is no DRM on iTunes songs. That was like 2007. And you can still buy CDs. Go to Best Buy. They have tons of them. Still have DVDs too. And a bunch of other options for video besides Apple. Do you get out much?

Hey genius, did you miss the part where I said 'the direction things are moving in'?
  • Reply 103 of 378
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1?

Never.

What does the price in the UK have to do with the price in the US?

They are not exported from the US to the UK at US prices.
  • Reply 104 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

It makes sense because not everyone pays $130/month to their cable companies (or even has cable/satellite). It's ridiculous the amount of "fluff" channels I pay for to get the few channels I want. There's one network that I pay $10/mo for because it has one single series that I like. I never watch movies or other series on it. I could instantly save $6/mo by canceling it and renting from iTunes for $4/mo.

For anyone who doesn't A) watch large numbers of series/movies per month and B) don't watch the same shows over and over and over again, it's cheaper. Purchases can still be done in iTunes and then streamed to the device if you want to buy (my biggest complaint about ATV itself).

And despite the 720P source video, the upscaling (in my current ATV) is phenomenal. It looks great/almost indistinguishable compared to "true 1080P" content on my 56" 1080P TV.
  • Reply 105 of 378
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

This is probably going to sound really dorky, but the only thing stopping me from getting one is that it is hdmi only and doesn't have old fashioned video out.

I assume most people who get this are probably going to want to rip their discs to their computer and stream them.

HDMI is probably a requirement from the networks, so they can ensure HDCP lockdown on their content....
  • Reply 106 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

How well does it integrate with iTunes content?

My WDTV Live streams just fine from my Mac using a program called Playback.
  • Reply 107 of 378
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarina View Post

For some it may be more expensive to just rent, however a year ago I went through the numbers and found out that it would be about half the cost per year to just get rid of comcast and buy the episodes from iTunes. I even bought a mac mini to play them on my TV and it's still about 2/3 the cost for the first year. After the first year I'll have saved hundreds of dollars. Now this is only for about 6-8 TV shows in a year, once you start watching 12+ TV shows it might be worth it to just get a DVR etc.

Exactly what I did, except I have an EyeTV tuner plugged into my Mac using over-the-air HD signals for some content (i.e. completely free to me now). For those shows that aren't broadcast OTA, I buy them from iTunes or Hulu.

The thing I don't get is how many people want to keep watching old episodes of TV shows. Once I am done, I am unlikely to go back and watch them again. Of all the shows I've purchased, I don't think I have rewatched a single one. Thus, for me, the $0.99 rental model is fantastic, especially since they are in HD. For the HD version, the rental price is less than 1/3 of the purchase price. I could rent it three times and still come out less, but I can't fathom actually watching any of them three time.
  • Reply 108 of 378
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

There's no whining. I was just expecting something more after all this time. Considering how Google TV allows for all the same features as Apple TV in addition to integration with whatever live TV service you have, I thought Apple would come up with something to match.

Honestly, what's with all this hostility towards a simple question?

I wasn't being hostile. I was just pointing out a simple fact that everyone seems to miss.

I can understand that people may want one device to rule them all, but bashing something for what it's not or ever intended to be is in fact whining. However, the "whining" comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at all the posts. These comments and the attitude in general are the exact same as when the original AppleTV came out. It doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, it can't do whatever, it's useless, blah, blah, blah. "It's going to FAIL because it's not what I want or need." Makes me think people are just spoiled and have some unjustified sense of entitlement. If you don't like it, don't buy it! Who really cares one way or another?

Personally, looks like a great little device and I can definitely see how it could be useful to some people. I doubt I'll ever buy one as I don't own a TV anymore.
  • Reply 109 of 378
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

Not really, the Mac prices are still way worse. The US price doesn't include tax so you deduct VAT from the UK price i.e 99 / 1.175 = £84 -> exchange rate = $130. So we get screwed by $30. On the new Mac Mini it's $155. The ATV should be around £75 but £99 is a fair price that people would be willing to pay.

The biggest aspect of these developments for me is instant streaming to the desktop. I don't like using a torrent for a TV show and waiting to download and really a couple of quid a day isn't going to break the bank. Plus, Apple will maintain a far larger selection of old shows.

I prefer the pay as you watch model rather than pay first to start watching because some shows I decide to watch and then get bored of them and grudge being charged the full price for something I didn't enjoy nor watch entirely but I guess the TV networks prefer the pay to start watching to get more revenue. I guess it's good they even went with the 99c per episode to begin with.

I think the new ATV design is nice. Just a plug would have saved finding space to position it but it needs line of sight for the IR remote so it makes sense the way they did it. With a bluetooth remote, it could have been a plug but it's no big deal.

I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of a motion wand and no apps or browser but it's sort of true that people don't expect TV to be computers, just dumb old content providers so this direction makes sense. The new price point is so much better.
  • Reply 110 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

1/2 the networks i record now with my DVR are broadcast in 720p. i'd rather see a focus on better content at 720p than shitty content at 1080.

For that, get a VuDu subscription.........
  • Reply 111 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

not what i expected, but also not bad at all...i think this could be the foundation for something that can grow into the main living room device...

That's what some said about the original AppleTV when it came out. We know where that went.
  • Reply 112 of 378
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Except the Roku HD is 30% cheaper than this.

no its not

i have rotund most of the good stuff from starts is low quality

they are always pushing you onto amazon hd buying or rentals

apple TV gives you a perfect hd show and a smaller version if you buy it

AND YOU VCAN FINISH THE SHOW ON YOUR pod > touch >nano > iphone 160G CLASSIC !!

I AM SHOCKED AT ALL THE DOLTS HERE TO DAY

THiS IS A GRAND SLAM FOR APPLE

you guys really suck a big hairy pineapple

AND streaming for free from netflix will rock !!!!

i own roku for my upstairs netflix stuff

and version fios netflix down stair's

FIOS gives ME 19g up and down

so the apple tv will rock my 42 in plasma

and the hd quality on apple itunes is fantastic

somehow i feel i will buy 4 things this week

apple tv

my first ipod touch !!yayyyyyy !!!!!!!

maybe 2 nano's

and i will buy the 160 g classic just to bury it forever

can the beetles be far behind ?????

terday

All my troubles seemed so far away

Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh, I believe

In yesterday

Suddenly

I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me

Oh, yesterday

Came suddenly

Why she

Had to go I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said

Something wrong now I long

For yesterday

Yesterday

Love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away

Oh, I believe

In yesterday

Why she

Had to go I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said

Something wrong now I long

For yesterday

Yesterday

Love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away

Oh, I believe

sads john can't be here to rock with us any more

and poor boy two
  • Reply 113 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackedpot View Post

I won't buy this for one reason. No 1080p.

Even if Apple doesn't provide content over 720p, Netflix does.

This version is worse than the last IMO.

I'm curious about this as well. All iTunes HD shows are 720P, but my current Apple TV upscales them to 1080P for my 56" 1080P TV. They look amazing, almost indistinguishable from the "true 1080P" shows on select cable channels that actually broadcast in 1080P. And I am really picky.

For me, 720P is not a problem whatsoever on the current Apple TV...but I don't see 1080P upconversion in the tech specs for the new ATV...
  • Reply 114 of 378
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

So, nothing really changes as far as the box is concerned--other than storage which was stupid anyway. I'm buying one, at last. 99 cent TV shows will be cool once more studios sign up, but, I can't drop my cable company just yet.

You can do what I did and reduced the cable packages. The good thing with an AppleTV is Itunes pretty much offer all shows of all networks, including cable only networks like Disney and HBO. The only problem was pricing. But if they reduce it, you could probably go with a cheaper cable package and ultimately go with just over the air digital signal and AppleTV.
  • Reply 115 of 378
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I wasn't being hostile. I was just pointing out a simple fact that everyone seems to miss.

I can understand that people may want one device to rule them all, but bashing something for what it's not or ever intended to be is in fact whining. However, the "whining" comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at all the posts. These comments and the attitude in general are the exact same as when the original AppleTV came out. It doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, it can't do whatever, it's useless, blah, blah, blah. "It's going to FAIL because it's not what I want or need." Makes me think people are just spoiled and have some unjustified sense of entitlement. If you don't like it, don't buy it! Who really cares one way or another?

Personally, looks like a great little device and I can definitely see how it could be useful to some people. I doubt I'll ever buy one as I don't own a TV anymore.

nice post

you rock dude

• Reply 116 of 378
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    There is a lot of content that I would prefer to own rather then rent (mainly music videos that I watch over and over again.) They will probably do that because bringing the iOS to the Apple TV makes sense and you need a hard drive for that.
  • Reply 117 of 378
    Quote:

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

I will give you $1, you give my £1.
  • Reply 118 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

That's all completely understandable. Like I said, I was just in the opinion that Apple was going to trump Google TV in some way, seeing as they saw Google's hand months ago. If anyone can, it's Apple.
  • Reply 119 of 378
    I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't an app interface; however I'll bet there will be more apps available later on. If anyone owns Roku, the ROku player has 50+ apps you can download. If the Roku player can handle it then the new Apple TV should be able to take care of it as well.

Don't bash the aTV product until you've used it; I was quite skeptical until I purchased one; I ripped all my DVDs to it and now I watch more of my older movies then I ever have.

How Many of you buy a DVD watch once then put on your DVD book shelf and never watch it again? By having a interface you can easily select the movie and start watching it. I paid $200 for mine, now that its only $99 I'll pick one up for the bedroom too and ditch my roku player
  • Reply 120 of 378
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmatech View Post

What about people who are sick of paying for overpriced & poor service from the cable companies? Think about how much money you could save by just streaming the occasional movie. And what about the savings from not going to a theater with ridiculous ticket prices and costs for popcorn and soda.

Not to mention there's usually someone stinky or deranged sitting nearby as well.