Apple's Jobs says 'onerous terms' kept Facebook ties out of Ping

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Being forced to tell your gender *is* offensive to large amounts of people whether you believe it or not.

I agree. But keep in mind this just launched and Apple may not have thought everything through. Provide them with this feedback.

For me, I think it's an issue because I could see not wanting to be bothered by creeps, and it's just information I might not want to give. Really all information should be optional.

For what it's worth though, you can at least change back and forth whenever you want.
  • Reply 62 of 143
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My posts have no basis in fact or experience? What, I have to have worked for Apple before I can have an opinion here?

Not at all, but having experience of the current topic of conversation helps. Ping is less than 24 hours old, you talk as though you have not signed up. You were not witness to the discussions between apple and facebook and therefore you cannot judge or call anything unacceptable or otherwise denigrate it based on rumor and call this "fact" or "truth". It is OPINION. Please understand the difference.

Quote:

From my experience, most of the people who post here are probably under 18 years old they way they argue and bicker. How much experience does one have to have before they are allowed to post here?

As far as facts are concerned, I don't have time to research and back up every point here. I am over 18 years old and I have to go to work sometime. I made some good points earlier and if you want to debate them, fine. But I doubt you do because I'll just embarrass you here.

I'm not talking about "life" experience - age is irrelevant (i'm significantly older than 18 btw) - I'm talking about direct, practical, real world experience of the subject, service or product at hand. In this case NO ONE has enough experience to state as FACT or TRUTH any aspect of the future of this new facility.

Don't talk about "truth" or fact when you are expressing a personal opinion. Most users would accept that most of what is posted here is simply opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. My issue with you is that you mistake your opinion for fact.
  • Reply 63 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new music-related social network, Ping, is not tied in to Facebook because the website demanded "onerous terms" that Steve Jobs said his company could not agree to.

Jobs spoke with Kara Swisher of BoomTown after Wednesday's event, and revealed that Apple talked to Facebook about potential partnerships related to Ping. While the discussions did not result in a deal, there is plenty of evidence that Facebook connectivity was likely a part of Ping until it was pulled before launch.

Jobs said the terms demanded by Facebook were ones that his company could not sign off on. However, some have spotted evidence of Facebook Connect compatibility within Ping, leading Cult of Mac to conclude that "Facebook's terms only became onerous at the last minute."

Phil Schiller, senior vice president of worldwide product marketing at Apple, even said in an interview Wednesday that Ping would allow users to use Facebook to find their friends.

Executives at Facebook also anonymously shared with Swisher their frustration that Ping's layout and blue color scheme resembles Facebook. However, the social networking site's official statement made no such comments.

"Facebook believes in connecting people with their interests and we've partnered with innovative developers around the world who share this vision," the company said. "Facebook and Apple have cooperated successfully in the past to offer people great social experiences and we look forward to doing so in the future."

Despite the supposed fallout with Facebook, Jobs is reportedly very excited about Ping, and said he believes it could become the most significant product announced during Wednesday's keynote. Other products introduced included the new Apple TV and an all-new iPod lineup.

Peter Kafka of MediaMemo, who correctly reported that the new iTunes would be "social, not streaming," speculated that Apple could create an open API for Ping. That strategy would allow Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites to integrate into the new music-centric service from Apple.

thank goodness. sick of hearing about facebook, sick of dealing with facebook.
  • Reply 64 of 143
    Quote:

All I can say is that everyone who has signed up so far and posted about it on the web disagrees with you. You must use the name on the credit card associated with the account.

Actually, you can use any name you want. It defaults with the name fields filled out with the billing info on file, but you can change this.

Also think about this for a second...you don't need a credit card on file to have an iTunes store account. I don't. I just add credit to my account as needed in case someone gets access to my account, they can't rack up charges. Plus I usually get more gift cards than I can keep up with so there's little point in having my credit card on file with them.
  • Reply 65 of 143
    When I was first setting up Ping last night there were two external friend finder services: Facebook Connect and Address Book.app. The take down of Facebook Connect is being reported far and wide but the friend finder via the Address Book.app is also missing today. Pure speculation: there is a problem with the friend finder for Ping that goes beyond any tiff between Facebook and Apple.
  • Reply 66 of 143
    Did they really complain about the layout?? is there layout not just like myspace was?

I dunno, I like Ping.. It's nice to see a social netwrok about something besides stalking your ex-girlfriend.

It needs more features like a wall to psot on openly and the ability to aknowledge music that is in your iTunes as aposed to just in the iTunes store.. but it's only a day old.. I'm sure it will just get better over time
  • Reply 67 of 143
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Sorry. Steve, you have lost your mind.

The fact that you're a troll has been obvious from the start ... but with each post you become more and more irrelevant. Where you used to be mildly entertaining .... now you are just becoming the boring, bumbling, pathetic buffoon you you used to be able to disguise. Your 15 minutes are up ....!
  • Reply 68 of 143
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Uggh. Who needs another social network?

This will go the way of Google Me and Google Buzz. I'm sure somebody will use it. But I doubt it's going to catch on in any huge way.

The whole point of a social network is to well, be social. I'm going to use what my friends are using. If they are all on Facebook, that's where I'll be.

Theming it around music is both smart and stupid. Nice niche for the musically interested. Seems odd for the average user though. But I guess with iTunes, that was the easiest way for Apple to get its foot in the door.

I will concede though, that this could do some serious damage to MySpace.
  • Reply 69 of 143
    Quote:

Would it be offensive to you as a male (I presume again from your commentary), if you had to give your gender but were only given the option of "female" or "intersex"? How would you feel being forced to chose between two options, neither of which is accurate?

Now I'm curious
  • Reply 70 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

What do people have against Facebook?

It seems to me that as soon as anything becomes popular and established it's open season to destroy it.

Facebook is great, it's revolutionised online networking - in a way that myspace never managed to do. You put personal information on line and then don't want it to be in the public domain? You can't have it both ways. It's about self censorship, a little common sense and taking thirty seconds out to move some tick boxes around on your privacy settings.

Apple got big and successful, now they're criticised at every turn?

Utterly ridiculous.

People complain at record companies for turning a profit, book publishers for wanting to earn money for their content, apple for wanting to boost their revenue stream.

Does everyone here want to work for free and give their services and time for nothing?

There is some very odd politics and even weirder world outlooks around at the moment.

"Pay me more so I can buy nice things - but I'm not willing to pay a price other than what I consider acceptable or I'll steal what I want."

Apple are not "evil"

Facebook is not "evil"

No one forces any of you to use either of the company's products or services - if you have an issue with the way they choose to make their income, then walk away.

It's really not that difficult.

/rant.

Now that there is a nice rant that I can support. Good job!
  • Reply 71 of 143
    Quote:

So Apple would have to license it. So what? Why is it not okay for Apple to pay another company for existing widely used technology? I know Flash is terrible and evil, but do you and the AI community have anything against Skype and AIM??

I will feel free to give Apple crap so long as they keep telling me what I may and may not do.

FaceTime is to be published as an open standard, according to the intentions publicly stated by Apple. Skype, AIM, MSN all use closed, proprietary systems. If Apple got into bed with a closed/proprietary system you would have a field day.

Please stop going on about Flash - it isn't terrible or evil. No one has said so. It is not ready for mobile devices, it's unnecessarily processor intensive, makes machines run hot and drains battery life. It is not properly developed for a touch interface, nor was it ever intended for video delivery, and there are real world, already supported, non-html5 alternatives in place. Web developers should AS STANDARD provide alternative content for non-flash enabled clients, and always should have - better sites out there always have.

I have nothing against AIM or Skype - I love Skype. That is not the point. What do you have against Apple - why shouldn't they release something new instead of integrate with/licensing from a rival company? I thought you were a share holder - do you want to see high profit margins or not?

Yes, Apple is a commercial company. They exist to make money. That is not a bad thing. The consumer will always have choice, there are always alternative companies, alternative service providers.

The consumer is a powerful force, Apple is no more immune to their wrath than any other company. The fact is (yes fact, not opinion) that Apple's market share, product awareness and profit are all increasing.

They must be doing something right?

In my opinion the major mistake from apple in the last 24 hours is leaving blu-ray off the apple TV - i don't want blu-ray on my desktop/laptop - but to omit it from my HD television is nonsense - I shan't be purchasing a box that doesn't replace an existing box or bring any new functionality. Thats my opinion, I'm sure others will love it - but it's not for me. But I'm not about to scream and shout at Apple because they dared to make a product that doesn't appeal to me.

I can choose not to buy it and look for alternative solutions. Turns out there are other companies than Apple (or Microsoft for that matter) that I as a consumer can choose to purchase products and services from.
  • Reply 72 of 143
    Quote:

Personally, I'd rather see Apple go it alone than integrate Facebook.

That being said, Ping sucks and I won't be using it. Check out this description of Ping activation, it's enough to make you laugh and wince at the same time.

http://technologme.com/using-ping-on-itunes-10/2607/

It's so limiting it's practically insulting. The gender thing is *defintitely* insulting. There are a surprising number of folks who aren't either "male" or "female" for those who don't know. Besides that, there are many many more that don't particularly want to give out that information regardless. On top of all the silly user restrictions there is the fact that you *must* use name on the credit card of the account for your user name.
    • Why would anyone use a social network that doesn't give you any freedom to be who you are?

• Why would anyone who's been on the internet for a while as <name> want to suddenly appear as the name on their credit card?

FAIL.

Dude.. its ONE DAY OLD. lol give it a bit of time to build.
  • Reply 73 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

When I was first setting up Ping last night there were two external friend finder services: Facebook Connect and Address Book.app. The take down of Facebook Connect is being reported far and wide but the friend finder via the Address Book.app is also missing today. Pure speculation: there is a problem with the friend finder for Ping that goes beyond any tiff between Facebook and Apple.

My guess is that they want to ensure that all users are signed up to an iTunes account - otherwise, this doesn't become the cash cow they hope it is.
  • Reply 74 of 143
    Quote:

Personally, I'd rather see Apple go it alone than integrate Facebook.

That being said, Ping sucks and I won't be using it. Check out this description of Ping activation, it's enough to make you laugh and wince at the same time.

http://technologme.com/using-ping-on-itunes-10/2607/

It's so limiting it's practically insulting. The gender thing is *defintitely* insulting. There are a surprising number of folks who aren't either "male" or "female" for those who don't know. Besides that, there are many many more that don't particularly want to give out that information regardless. On top of all the silly user restrictions there is the fact that you *must* use name on the credit card of the account for your user name.
    • Why would anyone use a social network that doesn't give you any freedom to be who you are?

• Why would anyone who's been on the internet for a while as <name> want to suddenly appear as the name on their credit card?

FAIL.

Not that I disagree with you, but why are you surprised at any of this. This is Apple, and they want you to stay in their ecosystem - both the good and the bad.
  • Reply 75 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Actually, you can use any name you want. It defaults with the name fields filled out with the billing info on file, but you can change this.

Also think about this for a second...you don't need a credit card on file to have an iTunes store account. I don't. I just add credit to my account as needed in case someone gets access to my account, they can't rack up charges. Plus I usually get more gift cards than I can keep up with so there's little point in having my credit card on file with them.

Nope - the professor read differently on line - what do we know just because we actually signed up?!

• Reply 76 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You complain that apple is using proprtietary video streaming technology and then suggest that something as closed as skype or aim should be used as a basis for this? Maybe you should go the whole hog and say it should work with the ever open, every apple friendly MSN?

Flash and web sites - why will you not stop banging on about this?! - It's not about websites being made "apple compatible" it's about web sites being professionally, accessibly coded with alternative content delivery whatever the platform. It's the way modern, professional sites should be developed.

The old apple TV played mp3, avi, m4p, mov and streamed content. it did it;s job just great and sold over 6 million units. If you didn't like yours, or it wasn't fit for purpose, you should have returned it. Oh, wait - you probably never owned one?

Ping does what it says it will do, today, 24 hours after it was launched. I'm following a few acts, already linked up with a few friends. It's free, it's easy to use and it's a bit of fun.

What on EARTH do you have to complain about. Don't like it - use another service, buy another company's products.

Or maybe you just like to complain.

A lot.

THANK you.
  • Reply 77 of 143
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Actually, facebook will probably steal Ping and make their own feature out of it. Just like they've done with Tumblr (where the 'like' button came from), Twitter (status updates), and foursquare.

You do of course realize that Ping is pretty much the same as the social feature in Zune, that has been present since 2006.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    Quote:

Being forced to tell your gender *is* offensive to large amounts of people whether you believe it or not.

then later on you say:

Quote:

I get that you are okay with giving it to them, but you just can't speak for anyone else...

take some of your own advice. Why are you speaking for other people? If you do not like the terms, don't use the service. Check whatever sex you want. Who cares. People bitch about anything...it is impossible to not "offend" someone out there.
  • Reply 79 of 143
    Quote:

You can use AIM for iChat. What makes it so wrong to use it for Facetime?

Of course, I can use flash on a real mac and it's TERRIBLY WRONG to have it on a mobile device.

obvious troll is obvious
  • Reply 80 of 143
    Quote:

You can use AIM for iChat. What makes it so wrong to use it for Facetime?

Of course, I can use flash on a real mac and it's TERRIBLY WRONG to have it on a mobile device.

Actually, you have a good point with your first sentence. Why isn't iChat/Facetime seemingly compatible, and therefore AIM connections possible - this would have given Apple good leverage into the market. My guess is that facetime is using something akin to the http streaming protocol (as used patchily yesterday) and isn't compatible with anything else out there? I don't know...

Not sure why you then go on to mention flash again, must be a mental tick of some sort.