Apple's Jobs says 'onerous terms' kept Facebook ties out of Ping

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    You're too funny!

The words "clueless" "self-rightious" and "immature" immediately come to mind (feel free to tack on "first class" to any of them.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

This isn't gaming. Also, for the record I'm a first class honours graduate, have an MA in telecommunications administration, run a graphic design consultancy and love classical music. Not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand.

There are two legal definitions of gender on this planet. You are legally registered as one or the other. These are MALE and FEMALE. One of those two is apt to the legal status of every human being on the planet.

Again with the gaming parallels - this isn't gaming, its a music community. You do understand that? Why would you pretend to be a different gender on line, or fake your name in a networking system which is about your personal music taste - why the need to hide?

• Reply 122 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

tekstud, mactripper, igenius, ... they're all the same, so it doesn't really matter which banned troll he is, but, at least we know for sure, by his own admission, that he's one of them.

I was never banned in my other identity. I was banned once under my current name.
  • Reply 123 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

I'm sorry but I fall into that category that the previous poster was talking about...I am transgendered and don't consider myself to be a male but I have male genitalia...and don't like it when I have to state a sex...did you know that India has transgendered as a sex profile in addition to Male and Female...it's time the world got with the program or just give it up...

so in order to be comfortable with choosing one I choose Female but have to make it clear to people that I am not completely female...so yes it is insulting to some people

think before you speak because your foot is causing you to sound muffled

Perhaps Apple does not want people like you to join the Ping Social Network. Just out of curiosity, which public restroom do you use, Men or Women? What ever the answer, that is what you should select should you choose to join Ping.
  • Reply 124 of 143
    I wouldn't worry about lack of Facebook support. Facebook will soon be history for one simple reason: a complete absence of customer service. It's not merely bad, it simply doesn't exist. A few weeks ago I was victimized by Facebook. For unknown (and unstated) reasons my account was suspended. Some 12 year old genius at Facebook decided that an appropriate way to verify my account would be for me to identify a series of friends tagged in photographs. Now it's bad enough that I have never met many of these people in person, but about half the photos didn't even include people, yet I was expected to identify these non-existent people. Of course i tried to get help, but there is no help on Facebook, I tried to complain, but there is no complaints link, I tried to report it as a bug, but there was no one to respond. Really NO SUPPORT of any kind. After days of trying I signed up a new account and located enough people from pictures to reactivate my old account - something incidentally that any hacker could do. So not only is their security measure ineffective, but it seriously inconveniences legitimate customers. Any company with a complaints department would identify and fix this problem in short order, but Facebook has no means of receiving feedback from customers. In the end this shortcoming will be fatal.
  • Reply 125 of 143
    For last few months, we have seen Google, MS, and others trying to crash the Facebook party - even while FB itself was trying to figure out how exactly to monetize its operation, without antagonizing its users with privacy concerns.

Apple seems to have figured out a back door way to start up in the Social space. With 160M accounts in iTunes, being the largest retailer of music, being one of the most trusted companies when it comes to issues around privacy, and most importantly, the ability to make money OUTSIDE of its Social Networking operation, Apple could easily be the success story of Social.

Just imagine, the new Apple TV at $99 is compelling enough that it is going to sell in millions. All Apple needs to do, is add a "Like" button on the Apple Remote application, and it has an instant winner - anyone watching any show/movie, listening to any music, can just click "Like", and have it posted instantly to everyone in their Ping circle.

I guess even if 20% of iTunes account holders setup profiles on Ping, the community would be off to a brilliant start. Apple can get artists to sign up, and change its Free song promotion to work through Ping and the artists Ping Page, instead of through iTunes. Very soon, Ping will have so much momentum that Apple wont even think of tying up with Facebook.

Monetizing Ping around music/video sales, promotions, etc, is a much healthier option. Also, bands would likely pay to target advertising at fans of other similar bands, to get their attention.

This is going to be massive... Apple already owns the best means to get content and play content - now it could own the means to discuss and talk about content as well!
  • Reply 126 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Facebook and other social networks are for the hopelessly neurotic and feedback vampires.

Now that my friend is a true statement!
  • Reply 127 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

What do people have against Facebook?

their tactics with privacy and advertising have turned a lot of folks off.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So Steve Jobs steers facebook now? Wow, this guy has a lot of power. Or does he?

Typical Apple lately. Instead of using the Skype or AIM to get facetime going, we have to use Apple's proprietary format which works on nothing but other iPhone 4's on Wi Fi so it's useless right now.

We had to use Quicktime format for the old Apple TV which meant hacking or iTunes only for the most part.

Flash was no good so now we have iPhones and iPads that can't display websites until they write Apple compatible versions.

Now we have this Bing, or Ping or Pong whatever and it will be useless until the world flips over to it.

No doubt about it. Apple has set us down a path that will make the monopoly of Microsoft look like a drop in the bucket. Steve Jobs will stop short of nothing but world domination. And he intends to do this with his niche market.

Sorry. Steve, you have lost your mind.

Nice troll . Any developer that has tried to integrate their apps with Facebook know it can be a total nightmare sometimes. APIs, web tools, customisation, all change like crazy very quickly. It makes more sense for Apple to develop their own social network and then later on try and see where they can connect without having to update iTunes 15 times a month. Things break on Facebook and third parties integrating with Facebook all the time. Remember Ping has to run in an app not a website which can be constantly updated. If you can set aside your troll club for a while look through all the "support" Facebook users and devs try to get and see how much documentation on Facebook customisation you can find. Maybe then you'll get some insight into why Apple went proprietary. Facebook also had some major privacy issues, and still do. There are also Facebook viruses that pop up from time to time. I would be more worried about Facebook taking over the world and consuming our lives than anything else.

Ping is meant to enhance iTunes, not take over Facebook. If you think the latter was Apple's intention, you are way, way more delusional than you claim Steve to be.
  • Reply 129 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryand View Post

I wouldn't worry about lack of Facebook support. Facebook will soon be history for one simple reason: a complete absence of customer service. It's not merely bad, it simply doesn't exist. A few weeks ago I was victimized by Facebook. For unknown (and unstated) reasons my account was suspended. Some 12 year old genius at Facebook decided that an appropriate way to verify my account would be for me to identify a series of friends tagged in photographs. Now it's bad enough that I have never met many of these people in person, but about half the photos didn't even include people, yet I was expected to identify these non-existent people. Of course i tried to get help, but there is no help on Facebook, I tried to complain, but there is no complaints link, I tried to report it as a bug, but there was no one to respond. Really NO SUPPORT of any kind. After days of trying I signed up a new account and located enough people from pictures to reactivate my old account - something incidentally that any hacker could do. So not only is their security measure ineffective, but it seriously inconveniences legitimate customers. Any company with a complaints department would identify and fix this problem in short order, but Facebook has no means of receiving feedback from customers. In the end this shortcoming will be fatal.

I went through this process a few weeks ago and wanted to smash something really badly. Luckily I have only 200 friends so I can identify their photos. The problem arose when I tried to use a proxy (hidemyass.com) and I got locked out. It wanted to send me an activation code to my mobile number which no longer existed because I changed it. Luckily I logged in on another device and I got the photo verification step back and was able to restore my account.

Facebook is like Microsoft now. Everybody uses it and it is functional. But if you are unlucky, all the best trying to get things fixed.
  • Reply 130 of 143
    Quote:

Facebook and other social networks are for the hopelessly neurotic and feedback vampires.

Futuristic LIKES your comment.
  • Reply 131 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nice troll . Any developer that has tried to integrate their apps with Facebook know it can be a total nightmare sometimes.

Ping is meant to enhance iTunes, not take over Facebook. If you think the latter was Apple's intention, you are way, way more delusional than you claim Steve to be.

Typical post. Steve Jobs can't partner with Facebook so he has to do "the whole banana" yet again. And the fanboys come out in force to defend him. So now we can ad Facebook to the list of miserable failures. Along with Flash and Consumer Reports and anyone else who disappoints Apple.

Apple is a niche market. They are out of their league with social networking. Apple would be better served fixing their own glass house before they try to compete with anyone else's business.
  • Reply 132 of 143
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nice troll . Any developer that has tried to integrate their apps with Facebook know it can be a total nightmare sometimes. APIs, web tools, customisation, all change like crazy very quickly. It makes more sense for Apple to develop their own social network and then later on try and see where they can connect without having to update iTunes 15 times a month. Things break on Facebook and third parties integrating with Facebook all the time. Remember Ping has to run in an app not a website which can be constantly updated. If you can set aside your troll club for a while look through all the "support" Facebook users and devs try to get and see how much documentation on Facebook customisation you can find. Maybe then you'll get some insight into why Apple went proprietary. Facebook also had some major privacy issues, and still do. There are also Facebook viruses that pop up from time to time. I would be more worried about Facebook taking over the world and consuming our lives than anything else.

according to an article over at MacRumors, the reason FB got pulled is that Ping was expected to exceed the call limit on an API, and under those circumstances one needs to get FB permission, and that did not happen in time.
  • Reply 133 of 143
    I'd like to mark my 5000th post by saying.... Muah ha ha ha ha ha
  • Reply 134 of 143
    Quote:

Typical post. Steve Jobs can't partner with Facebook so he has to do "the whole banana" yet again. And the fanboys come out in force to defend him. So now we can ad Facebook to the list of miserable failures. Along with Flash and Consumer Reports and anyone else who disappoints Apple.

Apple is a niche market. They are out of their league with social networking. Apple would be better served fixing their own glass house before they try to compete with anyone else's business.

And where did I say Facebook is a miserable failure? It's difficult to interface with for third parties and developer and user support is poor. Doesn't mean Facebook is dead, long live Ping! Your username is appropriate, if you see things in black and white all the time.
  • Reply 135 of 143
    Quote:

If you are correct, then Apple, who recently started a social network, must think that many of its customers fall into those categories.
  • Reply 136 of 143
    Quote:

No doubt about it. Apple has set us down a path that will make the monopoly of Microsoft look like a drop in the bucket.

Not bloody likely.
  • Reply 137 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

. Apple wanted to work together, Facebook would only do it under certain conditions that Apple wouldn't agree to, likely involving privacy (or lack thereof).

Are you certain it is not:

Facebook wanted to work together, Apple would only do it under certain conditions that Facebook wouldn't agree to, likely involving reasonable compensation (or lack thereof).
  • Reply 138 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why would any social network service start up without having different levels of privacy? Without giving some kind of choice to the participants as to how much information they want to share? This is all standard stuff.

Why does everybody complain about what Apple stuff DOESN'T do?

Prof. Peabody gives some good reasons...
  • Reply 139 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

My thoughts exactly! Facebook may have also wanted access to those sweet credit card accounts on iTunes--160 million of them. Fail. Facebook, like Google, is an information hog.

Maybe they also wanted to kill all the firstborn children! Facebook, like Google, is EVIL.
  • Reply 140 of 143
    Quote:

That's the answer? Write my own code? That is your solution?

My car wont start. Go fix it yourself.

Actually, the typical response would be "build your own car from the ground up".