Apple's Jobs says 'onerous terms' kept Facebook ties out of Ping

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

People complain at record companies for turning a profit, book publishers for wanting to earn money for their content, apple for wanting to boost their revenue stream.

No, we complain about record companies turning a profit and not paying the artists that enabled that profit.

Quote:

Does everyone here want to work for free and give their services and time for nothing?

No, and neither do the artists who record music. But that's what they end up doing much of the time. They have to go on tour to make $, 'cos they're not making anything from the albums.
  • Reply 102 of 143
    Oh crap. Another thread completely hijacked by Blackintosh: 39 mentions in 101 posts.

I'll wander off to another site.......
  • Reply 103 of 143
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I told you before, I am not Techstud, however I did agree with many of his posts back in the day. I found his lack of hero worship most refreshing.

I do have a secret identity. Keep guessing.

Perez Hilton?
  • Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Perez Hilton?

tekstud, mactripper, igenius, ... they're all the same, so it doesn't really matter which banned troll he is, but, at least we know for sure, by his own admission, that he's one of them.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

n any case, I'm not arguing that they should put up multiple gender choices (although it would be very progressive of them and send a very nice message). All I'm saying is that there should be a "don't want to say" or "other" or "null" choice in fields like this. Again, this is fairly standard stuff that was worked out on serious gaming boards years ago.

... The feature should be there to not necessarily link your real life name and your real life gender with your account, just as the feature is there not to associate your home address or phone number with your account.

It's private information that's not necessary to the operation of the system that you are being forced to enter. The reasons they ask for it are entirely commercial and are not necessary for any other reason.

I can understand your concern but I think you are not seeing the big picture. I run a professional forum in which we require people to use their real names. People don't post BS when their real name is shown. Apple is keeping it clean which is why your picture has to be approved before it is displayed. It is a lot easier to make the rules strict in the beginning than it is to try to police it later. With real names it becomes almost self regulating. The issue with gender is a little complicated but there certainly should not be an "other" selection. Since you are giving your real name the gender is relevant because many names do not indicate gender, but much of today's music is preferred by one gender or the other. As was stated, the feature is designed for people to recommend music to their friends.

You still have your choice though. if you don't like the rules, you can choose not to join.
  • Reply 106 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's so limiting it's practically insulting. The gender thing is *defintitely* insulting. There are a surprising number of folks who aren't either "male" or "female" for those who don't know.

Every human on earth has either X and Y chromosomes, or X and X. That would make them male or female. Any self identification issues, hormonal conditions, surgical alterations, or whatever else you may be eluding to does not change their genetic composition.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Every human on earth has either X and Y chromosomes, or X and X. That would make them male or female. Any self identification issues, hormonal conditions, surgical alterations, or whatever else you may be eluding to does not change their genetic composition.

Unfortunately, there are multiple genetic disorders that make such a simple statements a little problematic. For example, Klinefelter's syndrome (47, XXY).
  • Reply 108 of 143
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

There are two legal definitions of gender on this planet. You are legally registered as one or the other. These are MALE and FEMALE. One of those two is apt to the legal status of every human being on the planet.

So while we're on the subject of knowing everything, gender overlays, among other things, sex, and is far more than the mere question of 'what bits do you have'. You can't determine gender at birth and in fact to ask for 'gender' whilst restricting the choice to 'male' or 'female' is equating gender t sex, which it is not.

http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

Quote:

And I'm not speaking "for everyone else", I'm speaking for myself

The more people realise this fact on fora like this, the better everyone will get along.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Again.. its ONE day old.. lol. This is a great idea dude.. submit it to apple and I'm sure you'll see it in the not to distant future.

Apple has created what the TALKING HEADS would call a FACEBOOK KILLER!!!

but Apple, being coy as they are and not wanting to be obvious (also remember that FAKEBOOK was suppose to be integrated into PING from the start, it just got "pulled" last minute because FAKEBOOK wanted more control of PING and all the info they extract from ANYONE on that site) and we all know APPLE are control FREAKS (i say that in a non-troll good way)

so to not be so obvious out the gate ... SJ can say its not FACEBOOK it s a Music social networking site, but almost everywhere you turn everybody's got an i-Pod, iPhone or iPad or iMac, Macbook-

so i see this as a natural progression and FB sucks total NAILS... i hope they improve on this..
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:

So Steve Jobs steers facebook now? Wow, this guy has a lot of power. Or does he?

Typical Apple lately. Instead of using the Skype or AIM to get facetime going, we have to use Apple's proprietary format which works on nothing but other iPhone 4's on Wi Fi so it's useless right now.

We had to use Quicktime format for the old Apple TV which meant hacking or iTunes only for the most part.

Flash was no good so now we have iPhones and iPads that can't display websites until they write Apple compatible versions.

Now we have this Bing, or Ping or Pong whatever and it will be useless until the world flips over to it.

No doubt about it. Apple has set us down a path that will make the monopoly of Microsoft look like a drop in the bucket. Steve Jobs will stop short of nothing but world domination. And he intends to do this with his niche market.

Sorry. Steve, you have lost your mind.

First of all, Apple has a partnership with AIM and once the FaceTime standard is released don't be shocked to see AOL pick it up right away.

Second, Skype's video streaming is garbage, only reason it's so popular is that it's cross platform and is great at getting around firewalls (which consequently has gotten it outright banned many places).

FaceTime is not a service, it's a protocol, HUUUUGE difference. Services are limited to single companies and if corporation A uses service B it is compatible with corporation C since they use same service but corporation D uses service E and they're just out of luck cause they bought into E and it is now a legacy technology.

What has made telephones, e-mail, web, jabber, all these things so great is that they are protocols with agreed upon & regulated standards. This means All I have to do is find a service/application that utilizes these standards and I'm instantly connected to everyone else. Skype will never be a protocol, they want you to use them and only them for all your video needs.

A lot of people too complain about Apple not joining existing efforts in XMPP, yet this is not a definite. It may very well be that they submit FaceTime to become part of jingle. I'm hoping they don't as Jingle has been a sad progression of a standard, it just isn't getting anywhere fast. I'm all for Apple stepping in & coming up with a solution and then just giving it to everyone, that's really a great deal!

Open Source communities are great at starting technologies, but not so good at polishing them. Apple has helped Open Source a lot by putting some polish on a lot of technologies. It's just tiring how they continue to get bashed for not just jumping on board existing projects, like jingle, that seem to be on a road to nowhere. Don't get me wrong, not insulting open source, it's just that putting money behind a project is often a much better motivator than giving a couple of hobbyists an "ata boy!"
  • Reply 111 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I didn't use my "credit card name". Am I missing something?

If you are then so am I; I just put a nickname in the first name box and an initial in the last name and it worked OK for me.

Not sure how much I'll use it though, none of the artists I'm interested in following have signed up yet, but I'm sure that many of them soon will, they'd be silly not to really.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Quote:

BTW - your comment about the gender thing and people who see themselves as neither, making this 'insulting' is utter bullsh*t. I mean, c'mon - seriously?!

I'm sorry but I fall into that category that the previous poster was talking about...I am transgendered and don't consider myself to be a male but I have male genitalia...and don't like it when I have to state a sex...did you know that India has transgendered as a sex profile in addition to Male and Female...it's time the world got with the program or just give it up...

so in order to be comfortable with choosing one I choose Female but have to make it clear to people that I am not completely female...so yes it is insulting to some people

think before you speak because your foot is causing you to sound muffled
  • Reply 113 of 143
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Apple's business model thrives on consumers maturity in decision making; open minded, independent thinking, problem solving customers who don't yield easily to manipulation. Play straight, defer to their intelligence, provide them unmitigated assistance, pay homage to their creativity by being creative yourself, and, take their economic faithfulness home to the bank. And hyper grow on your communality.

Simple, and yet so exclusively Apple branded as a business model.

The reverse business model is much more competitive and overcrowded.*Ethos the Hell out of your customers and make a run for it. Cultivate and then hijack the signature coordinates of the take home prey. And under grow by intelligent design the market creative potentiality. *

Wrinkled, and yet so heartily and widely embraced as a business model.

May Apple 'ping', 'face time', 'game center', 'air play' a cap on Google-Facebook laundering ways...! **

• Reply 114 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Apple's business model thrives on consumers maturity in decision making; open minded, independent thinking, problem solving customers who don't yield easily to manipulation. Play straight, defer to their intelligence, provide them unmitigated assistance, pay homage to their creativity by being creative yourself, and, take their economic faithfulness home to the bank. And hyper grow on your communality.

Simple, and yet so exclusively Apple branded as a business model.

The reverse business model is much more competitive and overcrowded.*Ethos the Hell out of your customers and make a run for it. Cultivate and then hijack the signature coordinates of the take home prey. And under grow by intelligent design the market creative potentiality. *

Wrinkled, and yet so heartily and widely embraced as a business model.

May Apple 'ping', 'face time', 'game center', 'air play' a cap on Google-Facebook laundering ways...! **

Interesting point of view.

You must like MS then, as Ping = Zune my social (2006) and Game Center = Xbox Live.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    Macrumors posted this as the reason that Facebook is not on ping.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1006687

Turns out, Apple wanted to use a Facebook API and Apple and Facebook could not come to an agreement.
  • Reply 116 of 143
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

So Steve Jobs steers facebook now? Wow, this guy has a lot of power. Or does he?

Typical Apple lately. Instead of using the Skype or AIM to get facetime going, we have to use Apple's proprietary format which works on nothing but other iPhone 4's on Wi Fi so it's useless right now.

We had to use Quicktime format for the old Apple TV which meant hacking or iTunes only for the most part.

Flash was no good so now we have iPhones and iPads that can't display websites until they write Apple compatible versions.

Now we have this Bing, or Ping or Pong whatever and it will be useless until the world flips over to it.

No doubt about it. Apple has set us down a path that will make the monopoly of Microsoft look like a drop in the bucket. Steve Jobs will stop short of nothing but world domination. And he intends to do this with his niche market.

Sorry. Steve, you have lost your mind.

It's great isn't it?

Off you go enjoy your Skype video calls on your Verizon Android device which you can tether via wifi with a $300 netbook with HDMI.

Have fun.
  • Reply 117 of 143
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Ping+Facebook

+iAd

+???

=PROFIT!
  • Reply 118 of 143
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Interesting point of view.

You must like MS then, as Ping = Zune my social (2006) and Game Center = Xbox Live.

Sitting on a self sustained war chest is the most creative Microsoft undertaking of the last few years. Lazy like a rundown clock that's right twice in a day's work.

Microsoft is pretty much out of the business model referencing. It's not driving the narrative, for it's busy sleep-walking the credibility gap. They are a menace foremost for themselves, and a generous, albeit involuntary, subtle disseminator of the new Ping trademark embedded right into ios and OSX search protocol.

What was once a Palamino has morphed into a Trojan Horse for Apple into Google-Facebook social thuggery.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:

Disable it under your ping settings. done.

It's not tied to facebook. At all.

Hence this topic...

Actually, no.

Disabled or not, you still have a Ping Profile.

And as far as not being tied to FaceBook?It appears not to be now, but initially it appeared very much so. When I checked it out, it had a "find friends through Facebook" feature, as is discussed in a more recent AI article.

In any case, my gripe is largely with the whole state of the "Social Media' concept, as it now stands. Not so much just with Ping or with Apple.

There has to be a more satisfactory way to network without relinquishing all privacy to corporate entities.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Sitting on a self sustained war chest is the most creative Microsoft undertaking of the last few years. Lazy like a rundown clock that's right twice in a day's work.

Microsoft is pretty much out of the business model referencing. It's not driving the narrative, for it's busy sleep-walking the credibility gap. They are a menace foremost for themselves, and a generous, albeit involuntary, subtle disseminator of the new Ping trademark embedded right into ios and OSX search protocol.

What was once a Palamino has morphed into a Trojan Horse for Apple into Google-Facebook social thuggery.

Well, I was mostly referring to your point about Apple's creativity, which in at least 2 of your cases (ping and game center) are things that MS has had for many years.