Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours

Comments

• Reply 61 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As I am holding my iPad in my hands at this moment, N O N E of the books I have purchased through the Kindle app can be read in iBooks, nor can A N Y of the books I have purchased through Apple's iBook Store be read via my iPad's Kindle app... The formats are Proprietary.

End of Story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle. Check it out! Funny thing in wikipedia they say that Amazon has a kindle app for iOS, RIM, Android, and Web OS and no mention of Zune!

Also FYI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_formats

Also you admit you have an iPad! Pretty sad that you can't play all those "Millions" of songs on your iPad!

File Extension for Amazon Kindle .azw. Open? NO

File Extension for Apple's iPad .epub. Open? Yes
  • Reply 62 of 174
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Seems like an awful lot of users in a short period of time.

Does it? The article states there are 160 million iTunes users, so one million using the ping service is only, what, 0.6%? Which doesn't look that many.
  • Reply 63 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Does it? The article states there are 160 million iTunes users, so one million using the ping service is only, what, 0.6%? Which doesn't look that many.

I believe they are touting over the amount of people in the amount of time, not the overall comparison to iTunes subscribers. I mean hell it's only been 48 hours!!
  • Reply 64 of 174
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: So?

You like it don't you?

Many people here do not.

: Why that bothers you?

It looked to me that post was about clearing up misconceptions, not getting people to like it. I think there is a difference between the two. Holding up false facts as reasons for not liking something just looks silly. I think it behooves everyone on all sides of this discussion to make sure to at least try to know the facts they put forth rather than just throw them in the ring. Double checking using the internet is a good way to do so, it often only takes a couple minutes to verify many facts.
  • Reply 65 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It looked to me that post was about clearing up misconceptions, not getting people to like it. I think there is a difference between the two. Holding up false facts as reasons for not liking something just looks silly.

And I agree. And I also understand that user DaHarder felt he had a better model that fit him, but it was his last comment in his first post that said "too bad we got your money" that set me off. Like as if saying we are idiots for buying music. I make sure I like a song before I buy it. More than likely I have heard it on the radio, pandora, or some other medium.
  • Reply 66 of 174
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

you are wrong! There is an amazon kindle app for ipad and iphone where you can read your amazon kindle books on ipad, iphone, or ipod touch

Wow! You're really going to accuse DaHarder (a "retired USAF aerospace/structural engineer") of being wrong? .... I agree, btw ... you know, maybe the problem isn't that he can't read them on "his iPad" .... maybe he just can't read, I mean, let's face it, we're all aware, by the way he posts, he can't understand. ......
  • Reply 67 of 174
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The Zune Pass is a music rental service, with the 'option' of keeping 10 DRM-free/MP3 songs a month if the subscriber so chooses.

In other words, you have to pay every months instead of paying for what you want to pay, no thanks.

I may be interested if Apple have renting service. "May" not "am". But I wouldn't buy a device I don't want to buy just because I can hear a million songs on that device "alone" for a certain period of time, providing I pay every months. Seem like a stupid decision.

What I would really like to see is a lossless song purchase in iTunes.
  • Reply 68 of 174
    Quote:

Ab-so-lutely. iTunes 10 has had 3 million downloads thus far. One million of those are using ping. Sounds great to me... and apparently to Apple, too. My math isn't good, tally that for me.
  • Reply 69 of 174
    Let the people get over with it for a few days
  • Reply 70 of 174
    Quote:

There's is only 3 millions download of iTunes 10, the only one that has Ping, at the moment. So that's 33%. Please improves your reading comprehension.
  • Reply 71 of 174
    Quote:

It looked to me that post was about clearing up misconceptions,

Misconception like iDevices has problem with Kindle books?
  • Reply 72 of 174
    I have heard people talking about you don't have to use your real name, you don't need credit card information. Can anyone tutor me how to subscribe to iTunes and Ping without giving away credit card information? (I want to use Apple gift cert., not credit card, but that will be later when I get my first iPhone.)
  • Reply 73 of 174
    Hello everyone It quit easy to make sure your ping account is not your name. Are you reading carefully. When you sing up, Dont put your real Name its that simple. Even if you have sighed up with your reall Name it is possible to go back and change it to what you want.

Example. Say your name is Larry Bird and you dont want that on there to everyone.

1) Go to my profile on ping.

2) Go to edit profile.

3) Where you see your name change it. For example First name Twitch second name J.

And there your have it. TWITCH J is my ping name. For the apple fanatics like myself.
  • Reply 74 of 174
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Misconception like iDevices has problem with Kindle books?

Right, but you might have clipped out my addendum that addressed this part, albiet indirectly.

However, if you read closely, he said iBooks, not the iDevices themselves. Not that I think it makes much of a difference in the end, it doesn't look like Amazon is going to let other software makers. DaHarder seems to have missed that it is Amazon that's non-standard and proprietary with their book format, Apple is using a more widely used, non-proprietary file format, anyone can publish an ePub with a variety of software.
  • Reply 75 of 174
    Quote:

Right, but you might have clipped out my addendum that addressed this part, albiet indirectly.

However, if you read closely, he said iBooks, not the iDevices themselves. Not that I think it makes much of a difference in the end, it doesn't look like Amazon is going to let other software makers. DaHarder seems to have missed that it is Amazon that's non-standard and proprietary with their book format, Apple is using a more widely used, non-proprietary file format, anyone can publish an ePub with a variety of software.

It's just funny when Daharder was associated with "misconception". Otherwise, I agreed completely with your original post.
  • Reply 76 of 174
    Quote:

It looked to me that post was about clearing up misconceptions, not getting people to like it. I think there is a difference between the two. Holding up false facts as reasons for not liking something just looks silly. I think it behooves everyone on all sides of this discussion to make sure to at least try to know the facts they put forth rather than just throw them in the ring. Double checking using the internet is a good way to do so, it often only takes a couple minutes to verify many facts.

: What misconceptions?

That Ping PING is obviously Apple's retort to the Zune platform's (long-standing) social networking integration as DaHarder put it?

C'mon?!

It is al about choice, free will.
  • Reply 77 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My username is hill60, the same as here my real name is hidden, it wasn't hard.

And now i'm following you. Muhahahahah!!!
  • Reply 78 of 174
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

There's is only 3 millions download of iTunes 10, the only one that has Ping, at the moment. So that's 33%. Please improves your reading comprehension.

How do you get reading comprehension out of this situation? Well except for your lack of it, 1 million users out of a possible 160 million is 0.6%.

There are several ways of looking at it.

There are 160 million iTunes users, and only 3 million of them have upgraded? Quite low considering Apple has decided to class this as a major release.

Another view point, I downloaded it once, and will then install it on four Macs, so how valid is this 3 million download figure?

There also seems to be the problem of spam users, so this 0.6% seems to be quite generous.

Either way, getting a 0.6% uptake of a new major service I think is poor. Personally I haven't signed into ping, and have no intension of signing into it, like Facebook etc, I can't see the point of it
  • Reply 79 of 174
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canadan View Post

There's not way in hell I'm joining this Ping until they change it so I don't have to use my full name. That's too much an invasion of privacy for my taste and I don't think it's necessary at all.

You don't have to use your full/real name.
  • Reply 80 of 174
    @ DaHarder, Postulant, and mplaisance

Ok let's end this discussion now. I am far from an Apple lover but I don't agree with DaHarder on a majority of the things he posts but the pure Apple fan blindness being shown by Postulant and mplaisance is ridiculous.

1. Apple iTunes (where most Apple users get songs) can only be accessed on iOS devices. You can't access the store ANYWHERE ELSE without a laptop or desktop.

2. Zune Pass can only be accessed with a Zune or WIN7 Phone (unless you have a laptop or desktop). Also you can download ten songs (free of DRM, MP3 format) to move into iTunes and sync. Also since Rhapsody has an iOS app there could be a Zune Pass app for iOS devices in the making. It just isn't available yet.

3. Apple copies ideas just like every other business. Zune has a social network and now Apple has Ping. Microsoft has Xbox live (coming to Win7 Phones) and now Apple has Game Center. To say Apple doesn't copy is having total Apple tunnel vision.

And finally mplaisance, I just don't understand how you can't wrap your head around the fact that some companies use EXCLUSIVE content to sell their hardware. Will I be able to stream Apple TV rented content to any device that isn't iOS based? No. Why should Microsoft allow their subscription music (rented) to stream over any device?

And again Microsoft may just in fact be in the process of making a Zune app for iOS. I am tired of seeing blind favorism and these tired comments where most around here don't seem to have an open mind. Zune Pass will work for some just like buying individual tracks through iTunes or Amazon works for others. Open your damn minds people and show some inclination of intelligence.