Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry

Comments

• Reply 81 of 212
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

No Android phones at the funeral. Microsoft's plan is to replace Android with WM7 and they can't be seen as attacking the hardware partners like HTC and Samsung that they need to run their software, so the elephant in the room is left out.

Not to mention that Microsoft collects a "royalty" on every Android phone HTC sells.
  • Reply 82 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

What's wrong with this picture? Who in their right mind would choose to promote their new wham bang advanced smart phone software in this way?

That is so funny. I hope the media picks up on this.
  • Reply 83 of 212
    As much as I pick on Apple, I hate Microsoft. They have done a lot of weird stuff to convince people they are hip and cool, but this is off the charts. If this company didn't have so much money, they would have surely folded by now. The company is run by idiots.
  • Reply 84 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Wow!

Weirdos..

They just embarrassed themselves with that stunt.. Hell the Gizmodo fiasco (although unintentional) was a better publicity for Apple than this one.

Maybe Steve should loan them Apple's marketing team..

Wow I would kill and bury *myself* if I ever had to work for Microsoft. What a blight on Seattle.
  • Reply 85 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

As much as I pick on Apple, I hate Microsoft. They have done a lot of weird stuff to convince people they are hip and cool, but this is off the charts. If this company didn't have so much money, they would have surely folded by now. The company is run by idiots.

Wow. There's hope for you yet.
  • Reply 86 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer View Post

Did anybody get photos for when they buried Kin, too?

Here you go.

Sorry, don't know how to attacch image.
  • Reply 87 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK;

Awesome
  • Reply 88 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ha! Even though I don't think it will happen, I like the show of spunk.

Just reading about this makes me feel like I have Ballmer's spunk all over me.
  • Reply 89 of 212
    Welcome to the social!
  • Reply 90 of 212
    As stupid as this is, if I have to choose between Microsoft and Google winning the mobile operating systems war, I'd rather see Microsoft take it. Google has gotten too powerful and is beginning to take over every aspect of technology, and I think they need to see a string of large failures to put them in their place and keep them from monopolizing every aspect of our digital lives.
  • Reply 91 of 212
    They also did a Thriller dance. This is ridiculous.

Watch the video right to the end (if you can). Balmer appears right at the end

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...iphone-hearses
  • Reply 92 of 212
    When I first saw this post and the lone picture, I was simply dumbfounded. What da hell? Are you for real? Seriously? Wow… wow… simply wow. Who was the brainiac who thought this -- in any way -- would be a good idea? I literally fumbled for words.

I jumped around a few sites to learn more. I also clicked up the chain of referring sites, including "Carl J's" Flickr collection of 45+ pictures of the parade. It includes, of course, the RIP picture, as well as shots of a hearse or two.

However, after looking through the rest of the collection, I found it helped put the RIP procession in visual context -- a lone parade float in a chain of tributes, some of which are at Microsoft's expense. Note the old affixed cell phones and two stuffed and cooked turkeys riding aboard the beaten-up Windows Mobile 6.5 Mustang in cart. Its "Overhauled" banner suggests it's headed to the Chip Foose garage, for what follows this stuffed turkey mobile is a beautifully rebuilt black Mustang that's clearly undergone a bare-metal restoration.

The other pictures remind me of a local community parade; a bit of a pub-crawl or "social", as bdkennedy1 observed. A sea of smiles, singing and self-congratulatory pride. A corporately polished Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade it certainly ain't. Nor is it tight like a Rose Bowl marching band. More like a lot of people having fun and blowing off a whole lotta steam after passing a major development milestone (or finishing my school exams). No doubt when finished banging their heads against the wall, I'm sure MS PR teams won't sleep much this weekend while they prepare a response playbook. Release bad news on a Tuesday; good news on a Thursday; and, use Friday to bury a story.

If you haven't already seen the 45 pictures from Carl J, you might consider giving them a once over and see if it tempers your WTF. It adjusted mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trioculus/

Did this RIP picture define the parade? I don't think so.

Could this be the defining picture? You decide, naturally.

Is it prophetic in some way? Time will bear witness… as, too, will AI.
  • Reply 93 of 212
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I guess this is like when the Zune killed off all the iPod's, and Windows 7 and its predecessors killed off the mac OS, and netbooks killed the iPad and stuff...

Just a correction here.... Windows 7 is the best selling OS in history and totally dominates mac OS in terms on amount sold AND profit..... Microsoft still make a hell of a lot more money than apple - mostly from windows.
  • Reply 94 of 212
    Ballmer, meet Karma.

If MS put HALF the effective effort into their products that they put into this stupid stunt, they would be burying their competition.
  • Reply 95 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

what follows this stuffed turkey mobile is a beautifully rebuilt black Mustang that's clearly undergone a bare-metal restoration.

A fatally flawed concept on MS's part. They aren't taking a once-good car and restoring it, they're taking a Yugo and trying to "restore" it into a beautiful black Mustang. Good luck with that.

Anyway this smacks of pre-bankruptcy GM. "Yes we've built junk in the past, but we're much better today. Really, trust us.". Everyone knows how far that turkey flew...
  • Reply 96 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

As stupid as this is, if I have to choose between Microsoft and Google winning the mobile operating systems war, I'd rather see Microsoft take it. Google has gotten too powerful and is beginning to take over every aspect of technology, and I think they need to see a string of large failures to put them in their place and keep them from monopolizing every aspect of our digital lives.

I agree. As much as I like Google Chrome, and Google search, I don't like the idea of a monopoly in any industry. Competition is good, and when there isn't any, like when Microsoft rested on its laurels after "winning" the browser wars, we all know what can happen. These days, I hope that Microsoft knocks it out of the park with Internet Explorer 9. I hope that Firefox, Safari, and Opera continue to be successful, as well. I don't mind Bing competing with Google search, and if WinPhone7 is a success, then that can only help Bing.

It's the same reason I'm glad that Android, BlackBerry, Nokia, and even Windows Phone 7 exist, to keep Apple striving to innovate iOS. I hope that high-quality competition continues to exist in some format, in the mobile space.
  • Reply 97 of 212
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    wow. that photo in the article made me laugh
  • Reply 98 of 212
    poor dumb bastards....
  • Reply 99 of 212
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Better yet, they danced(?) as well.*

Well, one could say it was quite thrilling performance especially compared to the one they did at their store in Mission Viejo, California.?

Not sure if it was done as well as the XBox Halloween party last year.** I had a problem trying to watch them.

Next, they will want to be on Glee.

*http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...iphone-hearses

? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

**http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhkaVv5KPk
  • Reply 100 of 212
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I too am worried about Google. They make their money through advertising, which means they have all the wrong incentives when it comes to people's privacy. Apple has started iAd now which has me worried about them also.