Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Better yet, they danced(?) as well.*

And not nearly as well as the famous Phillipino prisoners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

I'm not sure which was worse, that stupid "funeral" or the "Throw your own Windows 7 Launch Party" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

Back in the '70s Steve Jobs was taking LSD almost weekly, but the most sober person at Microsoft today is higher than Jobs ever was.

From the insecurity-by-design architectures they build their products around to their lamer-than-anything-humanity-has-ever-seen-before marketing, Redmond just doesn't get it.
  • Reply 102 of 212
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

What's wrong with this picture? Who in their right mind would choose to promote their new wham bang advanced smart phone software in this way?

Actually ... as they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words' ... .. it is the single most accurate depiction of Microsoft development I have ever seen!

- A broken down sh*t box on a rusty trailer being pulled by something you can't see. -

It totally sums up the entire history of Windows development, Windows quality and Windows innovation (I know that last one is an oxymoron lol) ... All in one image! I love it.

p.s. Are there actually turkeys on the roof? OMG.
  • Reply 103 of 212
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Back in the '70s Steve Jobs was taking LSD almost weekly

I never read that about SJ in the 70's, not doubting your word, I simply didn't know. Please can you post links to sources? Thanks.
  • Reply 104 of 212
    One word for it: PATHETIC ...
  • Reply 105 of 212
    Where is the value in the winmo phone?

MS doesn't TOUCH hardware so they won't have anything to do with your cell phone. From what I understand MS will just sit on its lazy a** and collect royalties from the cell phone makers. And those cell phone makers are the ones that will bare the brunt of the hardware cost in this game. They will have to generate various phones for different carriers and then market heavily to the geeks in order to get them to want a new phone every month.

This is already done for the Android crowd. Is it me or do any of you se this as a wasteful a** business model?

And the ones making the Android phones are the ones making the winmo phones. It will be the same hardware but a different OS. Looks like a conflict of interest to me. And the geeks that have Android are now suppose to switch to winmo phones?

I believe that MS wants a MS branded phone at this stage of the game just to get caught up in hype that these tech sites generate for the cell makers. Having a smart phone is like having a shtick. Like a sex tape.
  • Reply 106 of 212
    Ha! I think its great! Look, windows7 needs to be very successful. And ms will license it very aggressively from the onset. Basically it will boil down to consumer choice. If winmo 7 is good, it will do well, it won't surpass Android, be half of iOS in the next few years...which would mean serious sales. Apple needs to be aggressive in being most carriers in every country they are in...other wise android will rocket past them.

From a personal standpoint, I think the funeral idea is great. I bet those employees worked night and day with corporate blaring on about how important a strong mobile presence is to the brand...so something like this is a great way to let off steam and build unity. I've not worked anywhere that did anything of the sort, even when most if the place was doing 16 hour days for 20+ days in a row. Quite honestly ms would be more fun to work at these days.
  • Reply 107 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Where is the value in the winmo phone?

MS doesn't TOUCH hardware so they won't have anything to do with your cell phone. From what I understand MS will just sit on its lazy a** and collect royalties from the cell phone makers. And those cell phone makers are the ones that will bare the brunt of the hardware cost in this game.

MS might not touch the hardware, but they have very high standards for the hardware that gets out. Every Win7 phone will have minimal requirements, including a 1 GHz processor, and an 800x480 multitouch display. It won't be a free-for-all like Android.

Quote:

They will have to generate various phones for different carriers and then market heavily to the geeks in order to get them to want a new phone every month.

This is already done for the Android crowd. Is it me or do any of you se this as a wasteful a** business model?

The business model of Android and WinPhone 7 are the same: Attract users to Google and Bing, respectively. The more people use their respective search engines, the better each platform can target advertising to everyone. Both Android and WinPhone7 are looking to make money off the backend. Microsoft isn't doing this for hubris and hype, like you think. This is an attempt to create a new revenue stream in the mobile age, in the vein of Android.

Quote:

And the ones making the Android phones are the ones making the winmo phones. It will be the same hardware but a different OS. Looks like a conflict of interest to me. And the geeks that have Android are now suppose to switch to winmo phones?

Handset makers have been making Android and older Windows Mobile handsets for a long time. There's nothing new here. Competition is good.

And like I said before, there is a market for this platform. This OS may become the de facto choice amongst medium to large businesses, if only because of its robust set of enterprise features, including best-in-class Office support. There's a lot of money in that market.
  • Reply 108 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

That little stunt has Ballmer written all over it.

Like stink on a pile of u no what that Ballmer smell is unmistakeable.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

And like I said before, there is a market for this platform. This OS may become the de facto choice amongst medium to large businesses, if only because of its robust set of enterprise features, including best-in-class Office support. There's a lot of money in that market.

RIM and Apple already have robust enterprise features. Who cares about Office support? Are you saying people are going to edit documents on a tiny phone screen? LOL. MS is really desperate if that is their marketing plan.

On the other hand, most businesses are full of clueless Microsoft drones who will in no doubt push for tighter vendor lock-in via more proprietary, super expensive, crappy Microsoft products because that is what they get told to do by the MS salespeople.
  • Reply 110 of 212
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    (sorry did not read all 100+ posts so may be repeating what has already been said).

Who organized this "funeral"? the same bunch that gets together on weekends to play Dungeons and Dragons and watch Harry Potter movies?
  • Reply 111 of 212
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Back in the '70s Steve Jobs was taking LSD almost weekly?

I have an extensive library on Steve Jobs, but I can't recall seeing your claim that he was taking it so frequently, or anything thing other than he had experimented with it.
  • Reply 112 of 212
    Save Microsoft. Fire Bill Gates' college roommate.
  • Reply 113 of 212
    Wonder when the board is going to figure out that Ballmer is an embarrassment?
  • Reply 114 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

As stupid as this is, if I have to choose between Microsoft and Google winning the mobile operating systems war, I'd rather see Microsoft take it. Google has gotten too powerful and is beginning to take over every aspect of technology, and I think they need to see a string of large failures to put them in their place and keep them from monopolizing every aspect of our digital lives.

This is exactly what I think Apple now needs as they're getting way too cocky for their on good. It'll burn a lot of peoples fingers but it would be good for Apple to realize they can't just slap together any old bit of technology, stick an Apple logo on it and charge a premium. Apple have way too much power as far as controlling tastes and trends, and that needs to be curtailed.
  • Reply 115 of 212
    Stunts like this are a sign of desperation......Period....
  • Reply 116 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I never read that about SJ in the 70's, not doubting your word, I simply didn't know. Please can you post links to sources? Thanks.

The frequency of use (along with a description of a period in the early days of Apple in which he ate only carrots until his skin started to turn orange and freaked out friends suggested he balance his diet) was described in one of the older biographies published in the mid-90s. It's been a while since I read it so I'd have to dig it out of my archives, but if memory serves I believe it was "Steve Jobs, the Journey Is the Reward" by Jeffrey S. Young:

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Journey-.../dp/155802378X

That he enjoyed LSD is widely known, as noted in his Wikipedia entry:

Quote:

Jobs then traveled to India with a Reed College friend (and, later, the first Apple employee), Daniel Kottke, in search of spiritual enlightenment. He came back a Buddhist with his head shaved and wearing traditional Indian clothing.[33][34] During this time, Jobs experimented with psychedelics, calling his LSD experiences "one of the two or three most important things [he had] done in [his] life".[35] He has stated that people around him who did not share his countercultural roots could not fully relate to his thinking.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_jobs

I don't hold that against him. On the contrary, it merely puts him in company with Cary Grant, Thomas Pynchon, William Burroughs, John Lilly, Helen Mirren, Steve Allen, Anais Nin, Igor Stravinsky, R. G. Wasson, every member of the Beatles, John F. Kennedy, many high-ranking officials throughout the CIA, and even Bill Gates (for Gates see http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/...lgatesint5.htm ).

The point here is that no matter how many psychedelics Jobs may have done in his youth, the easy availability of psilocybin mushrooms growing in the woods surrounding Redmond is all too obvious from Microsoft's antics.
  • Reply 117 of 212
    As funny as the parade was it's nowhere near as funny as the reaction from a seemingly endless supply of losers that haven't worked out the parade was nothing more than a bit of fun. I have no idea how so many people manage to type with their heads are stuck so firmly up their asses!

You would think that when people saw the zombies they would pick up on it. Nope.

Maybe when the zombies started dancing to Thriller. They surely have to chuckle now... Nope

What about when they see Darth Vader riding a motorcycle? Ah... nope.

It's like the unwritten 11th commandment. "Thou shalt not take events seriously where Darth Vader is seen riding a motorcycle"

Actually I'm pretty Darth Vader riding a motorcycle is a valid response to most upset comments about this whole parade

• Reply 118 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Stunts like this are a sign of desperation......Period....

Darth Vader can be seen here riding a motorcycle.

• Reply 119 of 212
    Calling this morbid is really over the top. Somebody call rewrite!
  • Reply 120 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Looks like Steve EMBAAMER is practicing for MSFTs own funeral in mobile.

Very clever! I actually laughed "out loud" when I read this. One, for my NEW everlasting nickname for him, and second, for the fact that commenters very often fail to spell or use grammar correctly. The joke is even more hilarious when it is spelled correctly: "Steve Embalmer"