Amazon mocks iPad's glossy screen in new Kindle ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

It's pretty much the only thing that the Kindle is better at. The iPad has so many more features

The Kindle does not randomly add features for feature's sake. It is not some sort of geek-fest.

Why oh why does everybody concentrate on what the Kindle will NOT do? It is an appliance which excels at a LIMITED number of functions.

Will the Kindle make you eggs and bacon in the morning? No. It is not designed to do that.

Will the Kindle squirt pink unicorns from its butt? No. It is not designed to do that.

Some people think that unless it can do everything it is no good. They don't appreciate elegance. They have no taste.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Meh! These products don't compete with each other, IMO. True, there is the bearest amount of crossover

According to many posters here, the ereader function is what determined that Apple would use the old school 4x3 aspect ratio.

So far from that being a minor aspect of the iPad, many Apple fans maintain that the ereader function determined the basic shape and size of the entire device.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    The glossy screen on my iMac is killing the whole experience.

I love my iMac. But it sucks having to close the curtains every time I watch a movie or something.

It's basically the only problem I have with it that I can't solve.

I will not buy another one, in a few years, if no anti-gloss is available.
  • Reply 44 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple will be busy selling $5+ Million per month.

Isn?t that 12,500 per month at $400 per unit? I think Apple can do better than that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

According to many posters here, the ereader function is what determined that Apple would use the old school 4x3 aspect ratio.

So far from that being a minor aspect of the iPad, many Apple fans maintain that the ereader function determined the basic shape and size of the entire device.

Yeah, but you are distorting or misunderstanding what was being stated. e-reading in its basic form is electronic reading. That includes reading webpages and other sources for reading, too, not just eBooks. Have you tried reading a book or webpage on a 16:9 display that is a height or width of 4.75 inches. Not actually a natural fit.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

There are 1,100+ petitions of Apple users who are asking Apple to bring back matte screens

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

In the above comments, many of them indicate people buy iPads IN SPITE of the glossy screen, not BECAUSE of the glossy screen. That's a big difference.

You can always put a matte film on to a glossy screen. But did you ever try to stick a glossy film to a matte screen. So since it's only a 1'100+ users complaining. I would say ... - .... !! And I would really hate to see the glossy screen be gone.

Then again this commercial insn't about glossy screens. it's about backlit screens versus eink. And there is the thing, as good as this ad may be, the point is, most people don't read a lot in the bright sunlight (sunburn, skin cancer, retina injury,... etc). Then again reading in the shade works perfectly fine with the iPad. So all those guys saying the iPad is of no use outdoors are completely off. It's a flat lie, because i and probably most other users, do it all the time be it the iPhone4 or the iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    You have to admit it is a funny commercial, not many people go toe-to-toe with Apple. Now Apple needs to make a commercial showing a guy reading his kindle in bed with the light on and his wife complaining about it then show the same guy reading his iPad in bed with the light off and the wife sleeping soundly. I am sure more people read in bed then outside.
  • Reply 47 of 127
    Amazon has a lot of balls. It takes courage to design a device specifically for reading and market it to a largely illiterate nation.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I am sure more people read in bed then outside.

Where I live lots of people read in trains when commuting where the lightning is very unsteady due to available free seats, daytime and the route. If the problem with direct sunlight is as pronounced on the iPad as it is on my MPB than Amazon does have a point.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I love my iMac. But it sucks having to close the curtains every time I watch a movie or something.

I have a matte screen monitor as well as a glossy screen monitor. Guess what in sunlight the matte screen is by far, and when I say by far, I mean really off the scale worse than the glossy one. Making the point, that with any backlit device you will have to shut your curtains. This is my experience since I am working with Computers, which is maybe since they became PC's, and started not to fill whole rooms anymore.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They're right, but eventually Apple will solve the problem of screen glare on the iPad, and when they do the iPad will go from strength to strength (because it is more general purpose), while the Kindle goes the way of the iPod. It's only a matter of time since the problem has already been solved on the Kindle.

I don't expect rich-color LCDs to solve the problem of readability in sunlight, but with the capabilities already in the iPad, how hard would it be (if the Kindle began squashing iPad sales) to add an E-ink display on the back? A $139 Kindle requires the full list of parts: display, battery, radio, RAM, case, CPU, etc. An E-ink controller is available on the Cortex A8 processor which serves as the basis of Apple's A4 chip. Just add the E-ink display to the iPad: done! Sure, it would reduce the gross margin on the iPad. Amazon's upfront profit on the Kindle is reportedly near zero.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Have to admit, the most recent Kindle's screen (with the graphite-colored casing) DOES have improved contrast, better than the last gen and superior to the Nook and Sonys. My wife bought a Wi-Fi version, and reading is definitely better on it than previous versions of E-Ink. Not mind-blowingly so, but enough to see a palpable difference. And it is much, much lighter weight and thinner than the previous gen; that part WAS a shocker.

Jeff Bezos isn't far off the mark when stating that the Kindle should be considered as an adjunct or companion to a tablet. I'd agree. That said, man I still love my iPad.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Where I live lots of people read in trains when commuting where the lightning is very unsteady due to available free seats, daytime and the route. If the problem with direct sunlight is as pronounced on the iPad as it is on my MPB than Amazon does have a point.

Reading in the train is probably the next best thing than reading in bed. and exactly the varying light situation, makes the iPad such a great reading device, since it automatically adapts the backlighting according to the surrounding light.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    BTW, doe's any of you know, whether the kindl app allows cross platform syncing? within iOS it works just great whenever I decide to read on my iPhone the book opens, where I left it on the iPad and vice versa.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I wonder why they don't try to open drive-in theaters for day-time viewing? 'sucks having to close the curtains'? Well, except on weekends, when are you going to be watching movies at home? Point is, watch the movies at night!

Also, I've heard that you buy the Kindle because it does one thing really well?! To me, that's like buying a Mercedes for the luxury, a Ferrari because it does speed really well, a plane because it's even faster.....come on.........

I'd like to have multiple wives because one can't do it all!
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There is a Kindle App for iPad of course, so even as they push their own device, they are hedging their bets.

love that they have kindle for mac, ipad, android. i can access my books on just about anything and that did enter in while contemplating who to go with regarding ebooks.

but now that i have used an ipad i don't think they compete really. the ipad is okay for a quick read but strains my eyes for long reads. ipad is great for doing several different things. luckily kindle is cheap enough that you can own both.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

BTW, doe's any of you know, whether the kindl app allows cross platform syncing? within iOS it works just great whenever I decide to read on my iPhone the book opens, where I left it on the iPad and vice versa.

it will sync as long as you have kindle software for the device. i have an android phone, an ipad, a mac and they all sync fine. i imagine kindle for windows works just as well. i do wish they would do kindle for linux though.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    And I could bust on the kindle for not being able to display even basic color graphics. What is this, 1986?

Truth is, the kindle is great for someone who is ONLY going to be reading books. The price it sells for reflects this. It appeals to mom and pop bookreader who doesn't understand technology but wants to carry around their book collection.

But amazon is going to be hard pressed to convince me that the iPad is not a better device in every way. The iPad is for someone who wants a real device which can actually do many things on the go. Not for someone who only wants to read books.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    The guy is obviously quite polished, has enough money to purchase the good things in life, seems to have good job which is demanding, he is busy most of the time and any spare time he has for gym is not overly productive as evident by the slight belly he has, which he got drinking fine wine and eating good meals. The lady on the other hand doesn’t seem to have to many worries and is a wise spender knowing what she wants and what she doesn’t, hence making a point of telling him how much she spent on the kindle – not that he wanted to know. So it’s a match and they are made for each other.

The next episode is at the bar later when she needs to check her email but the Kindle is tucked away in bed (as its only good for reading, but reading very well !!), she asks “how can you check email”, he replies, “easy” and flicks through to the email client and says “$499, but who cares I am mega rich and this item is tax deductible”. She buys into that …. Next scene “her bedroom...” or is it asking for too much..
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arorat View Post

The guy is obviously quite polished, has enough money to purchase the good things in life, seems to have good job which is demanding, he is busy most of the time and any spare time he has for gym is not overly productive as evident by the slight belly he has, which he got drinking fine wine and eating good meals. The lady on the other hand doesn’t seem to have to many worries and is a wise spender knowing what she wants and what she doesn’t, hence making a point of telling him how much she spent on the kindle – not that he wanted to know. So it’s a match and they are made for each other.

The next episode is at the bar later when she needs to check her email but the Kindle is tucked away in bed (as its only good for reading, but reading very well !!), she asks “how can you check email”, he replies, “easy” and flicks through to the email client and says “$499, but who cares I am mega rich and this item is tax deductible”. She buys into that …. Next scene “her bedroom...”..

...... Where he continues to read his book and she is asking him:" how can you read with so little light?" Then he tells her ......
  • Reply 60 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

And I could bust on the kindle for not being able to display even basic color graphics. What is this, 1986?

Truth is, the kindle is great for someone who is ONLY going to be reading books. The price it sells for reflects this. It appeals to mom and pop bookreader who doesn't understand technology but wants to carry around their book collection.

But amazon is going to be hard pressed to convince me that the iPad is not a better device in every way. The iPad is for someone who wants a real device which can actually do many things on the go. Not for someone who only wants to read books.

i believe the kindle is just as real as the ipad although i can't prove it philosophically lol.

is that the same mom and pop who bought the ipod because they didn't understand technology and just wanted to carry around their music?

wise up.