Amazon mocks iPad's glossy screen in new Kindle ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    Why are you "reporters" so lazy? This statement is a total myth put out by the Amazon PR folks - "to allow users to read without the eye strain that often occurs when reading from LCD backlit displays". This has been proven over and over to be a totally BS statement yet it still keeps getting promoted and repeated.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Why are you "reporters" so lazy? This statement is a total myth put out by the Amazon PR folks - "to allow users to read without the eye strain that often occurs when reading from LCD backlit displays". This has been proven over and over to be a totally BS statement yet it still keeps getting promoted and repeated.

I still contend (though with no known testing to back up my point) that reading anything in direct, bright sunlight for extended periods is considerably worse for you than any backlight LCD could ever be.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The Kindle does not randomly add features for feature's sake. It is not some sort of geek-fest.

Why oh why does everybody concentrate on what the Kindle will NOT do? It is an appliance which excels at a LIMITED number of functions.

Will the Kindle make you eggs and bacon in the morning? No. It is not designed to do that.

Will the Kindle squirt pink unicorns from its butt? No. It is not designed to do that.

Some people think that unless it can do everything it is no good. They don't appreciate elegance. They have no taste.

@Newtron - we are really getting tired of your idiotic posts on this site that go on ad infinitum. Pure dribble.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

The glossy screen on my iMac is killing the whole experience.

I love my iMac. But it sucks having to close the curtains every time I watch a movie or something.

It's basically the only problem I have with it that I can't solve.

I will not buy another one, in a few years, if no anti-gloss is available.

love my glossy screen. but i work in low light if i can get away with it. if you work in a big well lighted office with a 27" imac it can be distracting.

to each her/his own...
  • Reply 65 of 127
    It's a good ad, but I'm glad she's relaxing after having to unpack her Kindle, laptop, and smartphone, and their chargers. You need a break after that.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Quote:

@Newtron - we are really getting tired of your idiotic posts on this site that go on ad infinitum. Pure dribble.

The iPad will squirt unicorns from its butt with a simple software update. Kindle will not.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ironically however, a pair of polarised sunglasses would dramatically help the iPad's cause. So the girl in the advert with the expensive sunglasses, would quite possibly have had no problems reading the iPad!

...Ironically not... my polarized Ray-ban sunglasses make the iPad image disappear completely. Very frustrating in Florida.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

It's a good ad, but I'm glad she's relaxing after having to unpack her Kindle, laptop, and smartphone, and their chargers. You need a break after that.

why? if she wanted a rough on the eyes reading experience, half-baked web browsing, and use of a phone then all one would need is a smartphone? why waste money on an ipad or kindle?
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Oh man, Amazon jumped on that wagon. I though they were much more classier than that. I guess when a company can't compete with something they just have to bash it.

Good plan, amazon.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Oh man, Amazon jumped on that wagon. I though they were much more classier than that. I guess when a company can't compete with something they just have to bash it.

Good plan, amazon.

what??? you mean like the 'get a mac' commercials that apple used? i could be wrong but those seemed to be solid windows ms bashers big time....
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

There are 1,100+ petitions of Apple users who are asking Apple to bring back matte screens

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

In the above comments, many of them indicate people buy iPads IN SPITE of the glossy screen, not BECAUSE of the glossy screen. That's a big difference.

LOL that's a grassroots movement right there! I personally don't mind glossy screen on iPad, it makes any video watching much better, but on the macbooks apple does have an option of a matte screen for professional use.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

...Ironically not... my polarized Ray-ban sunglasses make the iPad image disappear completely. Very frustrating in Florida.

No different with the iPhone in my experience either. Have to take them off or crank the brighness to full to see anything on it when I'm wearing mine.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

what??? you mean like the 'get a mac' commercials that apple used? i could be wrong but those seemed to be solid windows ms bashers big time....

no that's different, MAC and PC are in the same market. Kindle can only read books while iPad is a different kind of device. It's like comparing Motorcycle to a Car.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

no that's different, MAC and PC are in the same market. Kindle can only read books while iPad is a different kind of device. It's like comparing Motorcycle to a Car.

you make absolutely no sense....
  • Reply 75 of 127
    "How can you read?"

"Turn up the brightness."

"Oh yeah, I'm an idiot."
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i believe the kindle is just as real as the ipad although i can't prove it philosophically lol.

is that the same mom and pop who bought the ipod because they didn't understand technology and just wanted to carry around their music?

wise up.

It is very comical how Apple's limited-capability devices are defended as "appliances" here, while at the same time, a true appliance is often derided for its lack of features.

Personally, I'm waiting for a full-featured tablet computer to catch my attention. I have little interest in a limited purpose "computing device" (kind of like "cheese food product"?) such as are available with the currently available tablet offerings.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:

Please don't read my posts. Problem solved.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    This would be a very easy ad to lampoon -- like Apple did the Intel ads, back in the day -- although, I doubt they will even bother. No point in even acknowledging the Kindle as if it actually were the same sort of device as an iPad. In fact, if all you will ever want to do with a "mobile" device is read books that you buy from Amazon, the Kindle probably is a better choice. For everyone else it's not even a viable option.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

Don't hold it like that.

But seriously, what happens when you rotate it 90 degrees?
  • Reply 80 of 127
    A bit smug, but its about time they go on the offensive here.