Amazon mocks iPad's glossy screen in new Kindle ad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

A bit smug, but its about time they go on the offensive here.

I have no problem with the tact they chose, but what a terrible ad.

"Excuse me, how are you reading that?"

its bad writing and poor acting, but a good idea.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... Yeah, but you are distorting or misunderstanding what was being stated. e-reading in its basic form is electronic reading. That includes reading webpages and other sources for reading, too, not just eBooks. Have you tried reading a book or webpage on a 16:9 display that is a height or width of 4.75 inches. Not actually a natural fit.

16:9 is pretty much good for one thing: HD video. For everything else, it pretty much sucks.

This is not true for very large screens, like the Apple's 27" display/iMac, but only because the sheer size of the monitor allows you to use it as a dual monitor. For anything much smaller, and especially, as you point out, for very small screens, it's a terrible aspect ration in almost all ways.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    Imagine the same basic ad being made by Apple:

The sunset is great, but now she's having trouble reading her Kindle. In frustration, she pulls out a small flashlight from her purse and struggles to read. He keeps on reading with no problem. Her flashlight starts flickering as it goes into a slow, terrible death. She bangs on it, it flickers a bit, then goes completely dead. She looks over at him, bathed in the gentle glow of his iPad.

Her: "You're still able to read your book?"

Him: "Well, yeah, but now I'm checking my email and then I'm going to see what's on sale at Amazon and then I'll check out a few other sites."

Next shot:

She's walking into an Apple store.

End.

Well, okay, I'd definitely prefer a matte screen, but it's not a deal killer and there are somewhat decent solutions out there.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

16:9 is pretty much good for one thing: HD video. For everything else, it pretty much sucks.

This is not true for very large screens, like the Apple's 27" display/iMac, but only because the sheer size of the monitor allows you to use it as a dual monitor. For anything much smaller, and especially, as you point out, for very small screens, it's a terrible aspect ration in almost all ways.

That's been my argument for years. As much as I missed the 12" PowerBook size I stated back in th day when the 13" MacBook appeared that going 16:10 just wasn't likely for 12" display an noted that even the 12" PB had a taller display than the 13" MB.

When Apple tablet seemed imminent I was worried that they would try to meet half way by going with a display that looked more en vogue but was ultimately poor for reading. I was estatic they went with 4:3.

BTW, why is the Kindle's ratio? Is it close to 4:3, too, or 3:2 like the iPhone? I'm not sure if eInk pixels are equal along the x and y -axis.
  • Reply 85 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

It's pretty much the only thing that the Kindle is better at. The iPad has so many more features and is hitting way more markets than just eBooks. They should definitely consider a matte screen option tho...

That is one thing that I would also like. Maybe not a full matte screen but something not quite as glossy as the screen currently is. take the gloss down a notch
  • Reply 86 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kento96 View Post

Imagine the same basic ad being made by Apple:

The sunset is great, but now she's having trouble reading her Kindle. In frustration, she pulls out a small flashlight from her purse and struggles to read. He keeps on reading with no problem. Her flashlight starts flickering as it goes into a slow, terrible death. She bangs on it, it flickers a bit, then goes completely dead. She looks over at him, bathed in the gentle glow of his iPad.

Her: "You're still able to read your book?"

Him: "Well, yeah, but now I'm checking my email and then I'm going to see what's on sale at Amazon and then I'll check out a few other sites."

Next shot:

She's walking into an Apple store.

End.

Well, okay, I'd definitely prefer a matte screen, but it's not a deal killer and there are somewhat decent solutions out there.

Nice. To be honest though, all I've ever had to do when reading in direct sunlight on my iPad is turn up the brightness and all is well
  • Reply 87 of 127
    Quote:

I'm reading your post on a 16x9 1080p laptop screen. It seems to work OK.

I have a bar with commonly used apps open on the left, with my web browser taking up the rest of the screen.

I think 16x9 is better for all sorts of stuff, and not just HD video. TV shows, HD movies, web browsing, multiple open apps - pretty much anything I'd use a tablet for. For ebooks, I use the 16x10 screen on my iPhone, which works very well.

But if you like 4x3 devices, you'd be wise to snap them up while they are still available. Their days are numbered.

I have a 36 inch CRT TV with a 4x3 screen that you can have for free. Just pay for the shipping...
  • Reply 88 of 127
    ...and with $139 sunglasses, they should be polarized (or you got ripped off), which cancels the glare.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    I can't wait to read a sane poster ripping apart of Newton's above post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

...and with $139 sunglasses, they should be polarized (or you got ripped off), which cancels the glare.

How do tinted, Polarized lenses affect the readability of an IPS display?
  • Reply 90 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:

I still contend (though with no known testing to back up my point) that reading anything in direct, bright sunlight for extended periods is considerably worse for you than any backlight LCD could ever be.

I agree and I use an iPod with an audio book whenever on the beach for this reason. I would point out those of us lucky enough to know what sunshine is should remember in the UK they can probably read anything just fine at noon most days.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:

That's been my argument for years. As much as I missed the 12" PowerBook size I stated back in th day when the 13" MacBook appeared that going 16:10 just wasn't likely for 12" display an noted that even the 12" PB had a taller display than the 13" MB.

When Apple tablet seemed imminent I was worried that they would try to meet half way by going with a display that looked more en vogue but was ultimately poor for reading. I was estatic they went with 4:3.

BTW, why is the Kindle's ratio? Is it close to 4:3, too, or 3:2 like the iPhone? I'm not sure if eInk pixels are equal along the x and y -axis.

I found I had to get a 15"MacBook Pro as I found the wide screen on smaller model lost too much vertical height.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:

How do tinted, Polarized lenses affect the readability of an IPS display?

They simply cancel the glare, which may or may not be the only issue affecting readability in sunlight but many here were complaining about glare.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    Where do I read? In my office. In bed at home. In my living room at home. In airplanes. In airport lounges. In hotel rooms while on the road.

Where do I not read? Outside in the sun.

When I'm at the beach I am either in the water or talking with friends. If I feel a desire to read on the beach, I'll bring along one of my magazines that is unavailable electronically.

I have no need for a single-purpose device like a Kindle. The iPad works just fine as a reader for me, and it does so much more.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Besides all the things listed that the iPad can do, what about the fact that I can read e-books bought at the iBook store, Amazon, and Nook books on my iPad
  • Reply 95 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pawolverine View Post

Besides all the things listed that the iPad can do, what about the fact that I can read e-books bought at the iBook store, Amazon, and Nook books on my iPad

And, perhaps more importantly, you can read ebooks that you created yourself, without, for example, having to upload them to your Amazon account to load them onto your device.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Besides this battle between the iPad as a book reader and the Kindle, is there anyone else out there that is disturbed at the current pricing of e-books. Some books being only a dollar or less difference between the e-book and the hardcover. Heck I can make up the difference in tax credit by donating to the library or selling the hardcover at a yard sale. Are we to believe that there is only a dollar difference in cost to produce an e-book versus a hardcover?
  • Reply 97 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree and I use an iPod with an audio book whenever on the beach for this reason. I would point out those of us lucky enough to know what sunshine is should remember in the UK they can probably read anything just fine at noon most days.

Coming to Florida would have been a huge change over the UK? Do you go back often?

Quote:

I found I had to get a 15"MacBook Pro as I found the wide screen on smaller model lost too much vertical height.

If Apple moves to 16:9 displays on their 13? notebooks I?ll be moving to a 15? MBP, but I really don?t want that total size and weight.

Remember these?
  • Reply 98 of 127
    Quote:

Exactly, below a certain screen size, you lose too much vertical to be productive on a "wide" screen in landscape. If the screen is tall enough, it's not a problem, and the horizontal space is just more room to work. The smaller the screen, the more this is a problem. I don't actually find the iPhone screen very useful in landscape mode, unless it's an app specifically designed for landscape, or occasionally, a web site where you want the text bigger without having to zoom it off screen, so, these days, I spend most of my time with the screen locked in portrait.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    I read at night ... in bed... sometimes with no light (wife turned off the light).

I also like reading PDFs as they're meant to be read, with colors and all.

I do like the Kindle's weight, though... much easier on the arms.
  • Reply 100 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Exactly, below a certain screen size, you lose too much vertical to be productive on a "wide" screen in landscape. If the screen is tall enough, it's not a problem, and the horizontal space is just more room to work. The smaller the screen, the more this is a problem. I don't actually find the iPhone screen very useful in landscape mode, unless it's an app specifically designed for landscape, or occasionally, a web site where you want the text bigger without having to zoom it off screen, so, these days, I spend most of my time with the screen locked in portrait.

I hate reading on my 13? MBP and my iPhone 4 so I just bought one of these new Kindles. I was debating getting a new iPad but with the issue I had before still preset and likely not to change until November with 4.2, which is then only a few months before the new model gets released I decided to wait on a new iPad. The Kindle basically costs me a date night with dinner and a movie.