Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

If VZ did get the iPhone, I think it would probably be announced at the same time for every carrier. The only difference would be the chipset.

Personally, I think this is all FUD. I think Apple and AT&T still have the 5 year contract in effect and it will be 2012 before you see the iPhone on any other carrier in the US. I see the iPad at VZ as a baby step for each company. I would love to see the iPhone on every carrier, but I don't think they can keep up with demand until that new Foxconn factory gets up and running.

Oh yeah, my first post on here.

First off, welcome to the forum! I agree with your first point, that it would be released at the same time for both carriers (June/July), and I think the reason they're doing it this January is to build in the "lower-cost" model in prep for the 5th gen. Apple always drops last years model to the $99 price point and this would put the iPhone 4 there for this next summer. I do have some concern about supply, but I'm sure they'll do the best they can to match demand, and we're all human--we can only do so much.
  • Reply 22 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Last time Verizon pushed that crap, Steve walked right out the door and said, "Your Loss." Yes, yes it certainly was.

Yeah, Verizon has really been licking their wounds the last three and a half years. They don't have anything that compares to the iPhone. They really took a pasting. *sigh* Fanboys fanboys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You got that right!

Like I always said, this forum has a dozen or so people who make absurd statements and the rest chime in with totally agree, plus one and spot on. Occasionally we get a "you got that right" as well.

Verizon does not "need" apple. Nor does Adobe, Java or anyone else. Apple's existence is rooted in their ability to "get along" with the members of the Microsoft ecosystem. When Steve Jobs starts acting like a monolithic elitist, no one will want to have anything to do with him and Apple will wither and die on the vine.

It's happening a little bit more every day. Sad really. But a great test of how far people will go under the influence of the RDF.
  • Reply 23 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Verizon has customer service?

Well, they have customer torture. But they like to call it service. Sounds better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah, Verizon has really been licking their wounds the last three and a half years. They don't have anything that compares to the iPhone. They really took a pasting. *sigh* Fanboys fanboys.

WRONG. Sorry clownboy, but since AT&T started selling the iPhone, they have pulled to within one million of Verizon's customer base. Verizon simply had no choice but to take Apple on Apple's own terms, and not theirs. AT&T was, in fact, on the verge of lapping them.

Don't let mere facts interfere with your condescending, clueless and bitter trolling, though. Carry on.
  • Reply 24 of 143
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    It's a good thing that Verizon will be getting the iPhone for what seems to be the beginning of 2011. Let them feel the love for at least that year.

I think that by the time 2012 rolls around, both ATT, Verizon, and even perhaps Sprint and the other guys will start feeling the full affect of FaceTime. (you can't beat free)

LTE better show lots of improvement for Data speed. But in the end that will also just help in people deciding to go to the smallest minute coverage.

That's why I say. Let the Carriers feel good, that probably will only last for a while.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    Fairly weak rumor. \ I hope that Apple does have a Verizon iPhone ready to go. Apple needs something to convince Wall Street and investors that the current share price is worthwhile. It should give Apple the needed revenue to at least hold Apple above $300. I'm also interested in seeing if a Verizon iPhone will slow down Android growth a bit. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing analysts claims that Android will have 80% smartphone market share in a couple of years.
  • Reply 26 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

It's possible that Verizon could get a CDMA iPad 2 next year. And it could hit Verizon before the CDMA iPhone.

I call no on the CDMA ipad.

Why?

Because there is nothing stopping Apple from making one right now. No exclusive deals etc.

And yet the ipad you can buy at Verizon starting the 28th is NOT CDMA. It's a wifi with their mifi box. Why would they have to do that, instead of selling a native ipad if Apple could make one or is going to make one in just a few months for them.

As for the phone, court docs showed the deal was until 2012. Until someone addresses how anything before then is legally possible, I'm hesitant to believe any Verizon iphone rumors. Particularly ones this thin.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

.WRONG. Sorry clownboy, but since AT&T started selling the iPhone, they have pulled to within one million of Verizon's customer base. Verizon simply had no choice but to take Apple on Apple's own terms, and not theirs. AT&T was, in fact, on the verge of lapping them.

Don't let mere facts interfere with your condescending, clueless and bitter trolling, though. Carry on.

I could care less how one company is doing vs another. The iPhone should be on all the carriers so it would sell better and make more money for the shareholders. I'm in this for the money.

Apple and Verizon and AT&T are corporations. They are not football teams or rock stars. I don't root for one over the other. I advocate partnering between these companies.

Put the pom poms away. And take off those hot-pants!!!
  • Reply 28 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I call no on the CDMA ipad.

Why?

Because there is nothing stopping Apple from making one right now. No exclusive deals etc.

We don?t know that. Nor do we know if Apple and AT&T have a 5 year deal. For all we know Apple could have signed an iron clad deal with AT&T regarding any CDMA-devices, any CDMA-devices in the US,, andy CDMA-devices in N. America, or any compatible devices for the other 3 MNOs in the US, and/or any CDMA-devices on Verizon.

The last two is how I would have covered my self if I was with AT&T. In fact, I wouldn?t have even allowed Apple to include the 1700MHz UMTS spectrum in any of their devices, even if it wasn?t activated.
  • Reply 29 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Verizon has customer service?

Number one complaint I see and hear about Verizon. And now with all these Android phones coming out, several on Verizon. and the new hopeful Mifi surge with the ipad.

Well that alone is call to improve things on their CS side. If it is even Verizon at all. Everyone is assuming that cause Verizon has worked with these companies before. But for all we know, these positions could be for ATT or anhyone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I wonder if the Verizon iPhone would carry the Verizon logo on it or require a VCast app preinstalled.

Nope. That is one of Apple's strict rules. THey control what is loaded etc on all their stuff. No way are they going to want either, so they won't allow it.

Quote:

Like I always said, this forum has a dozen or so people who make absurd statements and the rest chime in with totally agree,

But we can always count on Blackintosh to come in and shite on Apple cause he's the anti-fanboy. He tries to claim that he buys Apple, buys Apple stock etc as if that 'investment' gives him some Godly right to say how they should do things. But it doesn't. And they don't. And since they don't do things the Blackintosh Way, they are morons. and it's his duty to post that everything they do, or are rumored to be doing is total failure

Quote:

Apple's existence is rooted in their ability to "get along" with the members of the Microsoft ecosystem.

That could be said about anyone in the computer business. THey all have to 'get along' with the members that have a piece of the puzzle they need.

Quote:

When Steve Jobs starts acting like a monolithic elitist, no one will want to have anything to do with him and Apple will wither and die on the vine.

It's happening a little bit more every day. Sad really. But a great test of how far people will go under the influence of the RDF.

Says you. But I haven't seen Apple suddenly deciding to make everything themselves. Or companies en mass flipping Steve Jobs the fingers and refusing to work with him. Or actual massive design deflects (rather than ones trumped up by hit seeking media). Or a lack of sales and a major drop in the stock price.

You say "reality distortion field" and I agree. THere is an RDF at play. But it is around you. Not the world. You are the one that can't see past your "that's not the way I would do it so it's a dumb play" attitude. And it's distorting your view of Apple and every part of the tech world that touches them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple needs something to convince Wall Street and investors that the current share price is worthwhile.

Cause the millions of iphones sold in a matter of days and the millions of ipads in less than a month and growing isn't enough.

Quote:

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing analysts claims that Android will have 80% smartphone market share in a couple of years.

Analysts will keep saying such things even with the iphone on Verizon. And honestly who cares. Having more market share doesn't equal being better. Or what is right for you. Buy an iphone if you want an iphone, or buy an android if what you want is an android
  • Reply 30 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I... Just a crazy thought about iPhone announcement scheduling. If VZ does indeed get iPhone, and if it is actually announced in Q1 next year, then that could give Apple two iPhone announcements per year if they stick with that schedule. A lot if 'ifs' but please hear me out. There could be one announcement for Verizon iPhone in Q1, and another for AT&T iPhone in Q2. Two opportunities to generate huge media attention on iPhone every year....

interesting ideas, but the flaw is that the CDMA iPhone is likely the only time when they have to make a second iPhone. By next year, LTE will be in the market and there would only be a case for making an LTE phone to service both Verizon and AT&T in the USA. The remaining market for the CDMA phone is all mostly third world.

They might come out with a single revision of it the CDMA phone at best, there might be two versions of the first round of LTE phones, but after that it's probably history.
  • Reply 31 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

interesting ideas, but the flaw is that the CDMA iPhone is likely the only time when they have to make a second iPhone. By next year, LTE will be in the market and there would only be a case for making an LTE phone to service both Verizon and AT&T in the USA. The remaining market for the CDMA phone is all mostly third world.

They might come out with a single revision of it the CDMA phone at best, there might be two versions of the first round of LTE phones, but after that it's probably history.

I don?t think that is likely. Technically having LTE is some cities, even if they were to be on on all carriers in the US, doesn?t mean they can drop the access to networks below LTE.

Think about it this way, Apple released an EDGE phone when ?3G? for AT&T had a lot more coverage than Verizon will have in 2011 with LTE. There is a technology issue with the size and power usage of the chips, but there is also a fundamental usability issue. There will need to be GSM/UMTS and CDMA/CDMA2000 for years to come.

Also think about the fact that even with ?3G? saturating most of of the US population on both networks phones still ship with CDMA ?2G' and GSM(GPRS/EDGE) ?2G?. Now, the rebuttal for that is that CDMA ?2G? is for voice and CDMA2000(EV-DO) is for data so ?2G? is needed for Verizon and AT&T still doesn?t have the geographic UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA) ?3G? coverage that Verizon has, so they both need to have ?2G? active. But that proves my point in both instances that despite so many years after these technologies were enabled the older technologies are still needed.

The only way to get to a single iPhone again is if there can be a true ?world mode? phone that combines GSM/CDMA/UMTS/CDMA2000 into one small efficient package and allows for all the needed bands, and still has room for LTE chips that probably don?t yet exist on paper that are smaller and power efficient enough for the very anal and precise Apple that makes the smallest, most powerful smartphone with the longest battery life. That?s a hard combination to achieve.
  • Reply 32 of 143
    Quote:

If VZ did get the iPhone, I think it would probably be announced at the same time for every carrier. The only difference would be the chipset.

Personally, I think this is all FUD. I think Apple and AT&T still have the 5 year contract in effect and it will be 2012 before you see the iPhone on any other carrier in the US. I see the iPad at VZ as a baby step for each company. I would love to see the iPhone on every carrier, but I don't think they can keep up with demand until that new Foxconn factory gets up and running.

I'm sure that part of the contract is for AT&T NOT to make the iPhone play second fiddle to Windows Phone 7 and Android. In recent weeks AT&T has been acting like a divorcee and is now trying to nail some W7 and Android chics.

iPhone to VZ has talked about for a long time but unlike before there has never been so much evidence pop out that the iPhone is definitely going to VZ until most recently.

We'll find out soon enough. If January comes and goes without a VZ iPhone then the 5 year deal is still in effect.
  • Reply 33 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

We'll find out soon enough. If January comes and goes without a VZ iPhone then the 5 year deal is still in effect.

Or, you know, Apple's making a decision that is actually intelligent and waiting to release the CDMA/GSM/LTE/what have you iPhone in June like EVERY OTHER MODEL.
  • Reply 34 of 143
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    At the rate Iphones are selling with AT&T. AT&T could in theory be the #1 carrier in three months. I think Verizon getting the Iphone is so they can stay #1 since AT&T is in a position to take over the #1 cell phone carrier in the US as early as the next quarter.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

The thing that gives this credibility is that the WSJ broke the news. So far, whenever they've done that they've been correct. And the NY Times confirms it. The big, old news companies have sources that are much more reliable than the bloggers we normally get rumors from. If it weren't for that, I would agree with you. But as it is, I have to believe that we will see a Verizon phone sometime in 2011.

And don't forget that it"s not only Verizon that uses CDMA. There are 500 million CDMA users around the world. Sprint has another 48 million here. While it's not likely that both Sprint and Verizon will get the phone at the same time, it's possible that Sprint could get it later.

Before Android showed up, I think Apple wouldn't have bothered. But once it began to have a good showing, Apple saw the situation as being different. There's a psychological lift to being number one. There's also a dangerous one in being seen as a number two that's constantly losing ground.

Lastly, from my own experience with my own companies, I know that contracts always have loopholes in various areas that allow wiggle room to modify different aspects. It's very possible that the Apple/AT&T contract has performance numbers on both ends, and that AT&T's may have fallen below that agreed upon.

Whatever the case may be, we might not have long to find out.

And welcome to our sometimes argumentative group.
  • Reply 36 of 143
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We don?t know that. Nor do we know if Apple and AT&T have a 5 year deal. For all we know Apple could have signed an iron clad deal with AT&T regarding any CDMA-devices, any CDMA-devices in the US,, andy CDMA-devices in N. America, or any compatible devices for the other 3 MNOs in the US, and/or any CDMA-devices on Verizon.

The last two is how I would have covered my self if I was with AT&T. In fact, I wouldn?t have even allowed Apple to include the 1700MHz UMTS spectrum in any of their devices, even if it wasn?t activated.

C'mon Soli, really? Do you think there's any way that Apple would agree to such restrictive terms?
  • Reply 37 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

In the beginning At&t did pissed of Apple and vice-versa. Fast forward a few years later and Apple actually said that they're happy with At&t and actually defended them a few times.

Apple would have to do that. It could even be in the contract for each partner to not diss each other.

But more than that, if Apple did diss AT&T, that would be bad for Apple's own sales. Why would they want to do that?
  • Reply 38 of 143
    Well, here is one way to use up all that dry powder for "one or two" strategic acquisitions in the future: "Apple acquires Verizon Mobile in a deal valued at US $XX billion".

It would certainly be one of those great keynote slides with three arrows that the zen master likes to make a narrative out of, "Well, you see, first there was the iPhone and then there was the iPad and well..." the last arrow then points back Apple as having their own mobile phone industrial complex.

[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1739952]Verizon is reportedly hiring hundreds of call center staff through third-party hiring companies, stoking speculation that the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. is preparing to launch the iPhone, a new report claims.
  • Reply 39 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Anything ... As long as it isn't the "Can you hear me now?" ad

Ok, I don't know why, but I LOVE those Ads.
  • Reply 40 of 143
    Quote:

Like I always said, this forum has a dozen or so people who make absurd statements and the rest chime in with totally agree, plus one and spot on. Occasionally we get a "you got that right" as well.

Verizon does not "need" apple. Nor does Adobe, Java or anyone else. Apple's existence is rooted in their ability to "get along" with the members of the Microsoft ecosystem. When Steve Jobs starts acting like a monolithic elitist, no one will want to have anything to do with him and Apple will wither and die on the vine.

As usual, you're wrong. Here are this years numbers.

http://link.businessinsider.com/view/km4.6t5/9267be93

http://www.electronista.com/articles...iphone.effect/