Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple would have to do that. It could even be in the contract for each partner to not diss each other.

But more than that, if Apple did diss AT&T, that would be bad for Apple's own sales. Why would they want to do that?

Apple defended AT&T even when AT&T changed their mind about the unlimited iPad plan less than two months after Apple, and SJ, announced the iPad and the data plans.
  • Reply 62 of 143
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We don?t know that. Nor do we know if Apple and AT&T have a 5 year deal. For all we know Apple could have signed an iron clad deal with AT&T regarding any CDMA-devices, any CDMA-devices in the US,, andy CDMA-devices in N. America, or any compatible devices for the other 3 MNOs in the US, and/or any CDMA-devices on Verizon.

We do know that they "had" a 5 year agreement. We know that from the court case back in 2007. Now, has it been modified? That is the question.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/c...xclusivity-de/
  • Reply 63 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple defended AT&T even when AT&T changed their mind about the unlimited iPad plan less than two months after Apple, and SJ, announced the iPad and the data plans.

Of course. What's interesting here, is the question of why AT&T did that, though I still have my plan in effect.

Could it be that once Verizon offered the iPad, the deal with Apple for unlimited service was off the table? AT&T had to know this was coming before it was announced.
  • Reply 64 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I wonder if the Verizon iPhone would carry the Verizon logo on it or require a VCast app preinstalled.

What's in it for Verizon?

Apple's the second highest valued corporation on the planet. What do you think?
  • Reply 65 of 143
    Quote:

First of all, you often do talk in terms of extremes.

Second of all, most of the community here is NOT against Verizon getting the iPhone, though a small proportion are. What we do often see, is people happy that Verizon is getting its comeuppance, which it is. As analysts in the industry are pointing out, Verizon isn't getting a lift from the many Android phones it has, while AT&T is, from the iPhone.

Obviously, when Apple first went to Verizon, likely in early 2006, or late 2005, Apple had had no experience in building a phone, and so Verizon was skeptical. In addition, Verizon was always a high priced service, and was known as being customer unfriendly. When they spurned Apple, and Apple went to AT&T, it was thought of as a risky experiment for AT&T. But, they were willing to try it.

Now, as they say, the shoe is on the other foot. Apple has the upper hand, especially after this blowout 14.1 million iPhone quarter, in which Cook admitted during the call, that Apple could have sold more if they hadn't had been running at 100% manufacturing cap. It's being said that they could have sold at least 15 million, and as much as 16.

Verizon sees the numbers as well as anyone. The chart I linked to, which I hope you did look at, shows why they are having problems. less new customers than expected, vs more than expected for AT&T, all due to the iPhone. This has got to hurt, and investors are likely wondering why verizon isn't going to Apple and begging for the phone.

no offense melgross, but why do you respond to blackintosh, iliver, and the rest of the obvious trolls? they already know most of the things they say make no sense; their goal is to try and make you 'convince' them otherwise.
  • Reply 66 of 143
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

As far as I can tell, Verizon and Sprint will still be using CDMA for voice after LTE is live. This makes sense. Even now the only battery test that can beat an iPhone is total voice call time on ?3G?, since they use the more efficient ?2G? for voice even though ?3G? for data is still technically on. And it?s good voice quality, so it would be foolish to jump to LTE for voice out of the gate even if they did a convert to VoIP for their networks.

PS: ITU deemed WiMAX and LTE are not ?4G?. I wonder if that will change the advertising in the US.

They're gonna call it 4G even though its really 3G+. I dont think VZW will be offering VoIP until the network is upgraded to LTE Advanced. So yes the CDMA network will be in use for years to come. Now they could upgrade from EV-DO Rev 0 to Rev A and offer talk and surf pretty easily.

If you guys didnt hear Ivan Seidenberg is stepping down and VZ will have a new CEO starting next year. He might be more willing to play nice with SJ (or at least thats what I'm hoping).
  • Reply 67 of 143
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Yawn...

There must be 500 threads on here now with the same recycled posts about this stuff.
  • Reply 68 of 143
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

? Worst Job Ever ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvHFqhi3aoU

Looks more like SJs YES man. lol
  • Reply 69 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Verizon iPhone will be White!!
  • Reply 70 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

no offense melgross, but why do you respond to blackintosh, iliver, and the rest of the obvious trolls? they already know most of the things they say make no sense; their goal is to try and make you 'convince' them otherwise.

He's not as bad as some. But it's not just responding to him that I'm doing. I assume that if people read my response, they will have better ammunition for themselves, wherever they are.
  • Reply 71 of 143
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Maybe they are hiring for the holidays just like everyone else.

I guess that would be too obvious and not as fun though

if this was the only hint about a Verizon iPhone, you might be right. But as you note in your later "Yawn" post, there is literally a tsunami of evidence (and related stories) about the imminent release of the iPhone on Verizon. This is just one more piece of the puzzle.
  • Reply 72 of 143
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This is highly possible.
  • Reply 73 of 143
    Lol. You don't see Verizon hiring for the launch of the Motorola HemorrDroid
  • Reply 74 of 143
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    A Verizon iPhone means bad news for the competition. RIM is already feeling the winds of change, anyway. We're about to see iPhone sales ansolutely explode. Apple's next quarterly report should be quite exciting.
  • Reply 75 of 143
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Of course. What's interesting here, is the question of why AT&T did that, though I still have my plan in effect.

Could it be that once Verizon offered the iPad, the deal with Apple for unlimited service was off the table? AT&T had to know this was coming before it was announced.

Could be that AT&T provided data to Apple that 98% of their user base don't use over 2GB and therefore not needing the unlimited data no more. I still have my unlimited data plan, but I'm mostly on wifi and I barely make 1.5 Gb when I'm not around wifi.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

People are still waiting for the white iphone 4 for AT&T.
  • Reply 76 of 143
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

People are still waiting for the white iphone 4 for AT&T.

some are. some aren't.
  • Reply 77 of 143
    Quote:

Could be that AT&T provided data to Apple that 98% of their user base don't use over 2GB and therefore not needing the unlimited data no more. I still have my unlimited data plan, but I'm mostly on wifi and I barely make 1.5 Gb when I'm not around wifi.

I have the ABC app, and I enjoy two of their shows, which I've been watching on my iPad. That uses a lot of bytes. If you're using Netflix, or other video downloading stuff, you'll easily go above 2GB. In fact, that's got to be why they did this.

I mean, if people were constantly below the 2GB limit, with the unlimited plan, why bother to discontinue it for a cheaper, lower limit version? Why not just pocket the extra $5 a month in silence, and make people happy knowing that their plan is unlimited? Or why not just add the 2GB plan to it?

No, I think that people are going above 2GB. After all, they could have had a 3GB limit instead, or 4, or 5. but they stopped at 2.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    Quote:

I have the ABC app, and I enjoy two of their shows, which I've been watching on my iPad. That uses a lot of bytes. If you're using Netflix, or other video downloading stuff, you'll easily go above 2GB. In fact, that's got to be why they did this.

I mean, if people were constantly below the 2GB limit, with the unlimited plan, why bother to discontinue it for a cheaper, lower limit version? Why not just pocket the extra $5 a month in silence, and make people happy knowing that their plan is unlimited? Or why not just add the 2GB plan to it?

No, I think that people are going above 2GB. After all, they could have had a 3GB limit instead, or 4, or 5. but they stopped at 2.

Good point. But I wish they put the limit on 3GB and not 2GB. The one thing that I want to know is that if I'm going to lose my unlimited data plan when I renew my contract with AT&T.
  • Reply 79 of 143
    Quote:

Good point. But I wish they put the limit on 3GB and not 2GB. The one thing that I want to know is that if I'm going to lose my unlimited data plan when I renew my contract with AT&T.

I think they studied the usage, and determined that they didn't want to serve the numbers that were over 2GB with free bandwidth.

As far as I know, as long as we keep our $30 plans, we'll never lose them (well, never is not likely the right word). I don't know what happens if we don't re-up for one month though. I'm not sure who there might be to ask, and I didn't read the entire contract to see what they say about that.
  • Reply 80 of 143
    Quote:

I think they studied the usage, and determined that they didn't want to serve the numbers that were over 2GB with free bandwidth.

As far as I know, as long as we keep our $30 plans, we'll never lose them (well, never is not likely the right word). I don't know what happens if we don't re-up for one month though. I'm not sure who there might be to ask, and I didn't read the entire contract to see what they say about that.

Well I'm keeping my $30 plan till the end. I'll ask my friend who works at a AT&T store if I can still keep my unlimited data if I renew my contract.