Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Comments

• Reply 100 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One click in Spare Parts and a reboot, and all 224 apps I have installed run beautifully at full screen with no pixelation to be seen (love that nice/tight pixel density).

It is a well known fact that Android apps are vastly inferior to their iOS brethren.
  • Reply 102 of 337
    Quote:

Firstly: I never said anything about having 9 units, there are currently 3 each Galaxy Tab's in my house, but only one is mine, same situation with the iPad.

Secondly: No one asked (or cares) if you can 'figure out' what others do with their resources/gadgets.

• Reply 103 of 337
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

It is a well known fact that Android apps are vastly inferior to their iOS brethren.

Sure... If that's what you choose to believe.
  • Reply 104 of 337
    Quote:

Depends what you have. Most of the apps I have on iOS are exactly the same on Android. That isn't always the case if you have an older phone but anything running 2.2 or for that matter 2.1 is pretty much on par with iOS apps.
  • Reply 105 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

iOS might be fragmented too

iOS is not fragmented. There is only one version and it works precisely the same on all current iOS devices.
  • Reply 106 of 337
    Quote:

iOS is not fragmented. There is only one version and it works precisely the same on all current iOS devices.

Wrong... Depending on what your definition of 'current' is.
  • Reply 107 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Most of the Galaxy Tabs are bought with a 2 year contract on a network. There are no discounts to be had. I am sorry this news upsets you so much. Get use to it the Android tablets are going to do well just like the Android phones.
  • Reply 108 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

DaHarder bought 300,000 of those.

lmmfao!

Seriously, those 600,000 are just what was dumped into the channel - samsung is trying to get some free press by throwing a number out there.
  • Reply 109 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Most of the Galaxy Tabs are bought with a 2 year contract on a network. There are no discounts to be had. I am sorry this news upsets you so much. Get use to it the Android tablets are going to do well just like the Android phones.

• Reply 110 of 337
    Quote:

Sure... If that's what you choose to believe.

I'll take what Steve Wozniak says...
  • Reply 111 of 337
    Quote:

Wrong... Depending on what your definition of 'current' is.

daharder - ios fragmentation isn't anywhere near as bad - or as extreme - as android fragmentation.

most android apps are watered down for the lowest common denominator.
  • Reply 112 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

daharder - ios fragmentation isn't anywhere near as bad - or as extreme - as android fragmentation.

most android apps are watered down for the lowest common denominator.

Disagree... though I do find that iOS is indeed 'watered down for the lowest common denominator'.

To Each Their Own.
  • Reply 113 of 337
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has revealed that it sold 600,000 units of its Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet worldwide in the first month, compared to more than a million iPads sold in the U.S. alone in less than a month earlier this year.

The numbers, detailed by The Korea Herald, show that Samsung's tablet has had a healthy start, but the device still lags behind the iPad. For comparison, Apple's Wi-Fi-only tablet sold more than a million units when it launched in the U.S. alone earlier this year, and before the 3G model launched.

The Galaxy Tab saw a much quicker international rollout than the iPad, debuting in Italy in mid-October. The 7-inch touchscreen tablet recently launched in the U.S. on Nov. 11, and is available through all four major wireless carriers.

The iPad debuted in the U.S. in early April with the Wi-Fi-only model, and the 3G version launched stateside a month later. International sales of the iPad were delayed as Apple struggled to meet demand, and the product launched on May 28 in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy and France.

The Galaxy Tab is noteworthy because it is the first major touchscreen tablet based on the Google Android mobile operating system. While Samsung modified Android to work on the larger tablet screen, Google is expected to introduce tablet-specific features in the next update to Android, codenamed "Gingerbread."

Another hopeful iPad rival, the HP Slate, sold just 9,000 units, it was revealed earlier this month. The Windows 7-based touchscreen device was given a hyped debut early this year before the iPad was introduced, in an attempt to steal some of Apple's thunder.

Have they sold 600,00 to customers or resellers?
  • Reply 114 of 337
    Quote:

Not sure what is so funny other then you being an idiot.
  • Reply 115 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

with no other real Android competition, pent-up fanDroid demand, and the holidays Samsung should certainly be able to sell 1 million Galaxy tabs a month worldwide through the end of the year. but then it will drop like a rock as newer Android models and other tabs come to market ... and the iPad 2 freeze-the-market wait begins.

so Samsung achieved its strategic goal by being the first OEM with something credible. how much that matters next year we'll see

of course iPad holiday demand will be huge. Apple must be selling 2-3 million per month right now. now that the important 4.2 update is out, expect a massive Apple marketing blitz with lots of new ads. and Apple does that better than anyone ...

apple will gain even greater word of mouth for the ipad with ios 4.2

ads this season will smoke the competition - just played around with streaming video to my apple tv from the ipad - phenomenal!

printing works great, multitasking works extremely well - this is a solid release that elevates the platform and puts a major hurt on android devices.
  • Reply 116 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Not sure what is so funny other then you being an idiot.

• Reply 117 of 337
    Quote:

For me, it affords the use of a quick glance at a single screen to see my appointments, Twitter feed, Facebook updates, contacts, et al without having to wade through page-after-page of look-alike icons, or open single stand-alone app.

that's the only advantage you get with android, but you lose all of the ios advantages.

apple will get around to adding that functionality to ios. if they do it in any way similar to the way multitasking was added to the ipad, it'll definitely trounce android.
  • Reply 118 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I think a lot of people here are bothered by him, or see him as negative, because he is NOT all Apple all the time and is willing to buy non-Apple products, and he is willing to defend non-Apple products as worth buying.

There is not reason whatsoever that the good, productive members of this forum need be subjected to such behaviour!
  • Reply 119 of 337
    Quote:

I'm glad we can agree. Whatever island you are on it must be your own Fantasy Island.
  • Reply 120 of 337
    Quote:

All-App Multi-Tasking means just that - The OS allows any/all apps (including 3rd party) to multi-task just as the native apps do.

My iDevices only allow Apple's native apps, and some select 3rd party ones, to run in the background... All others are simply suspended.

What you call "All-App Multi-Tasking" is idiotic to put into a mobile device, for the following reasons:

1. Drain on resources - battery, CPU, and memory.

2. Poor (overall) performance - see #1

3. Due to the UI on mobile devices, not all apps need to be multitasking.

For those apps which need to be multitasking, ios allows those apps access to multitasking services to handle background processing, streaming, etc. Between ios multitasking services, and notifications, battery, CPU, and memory usage are minimized.

That's why IOS devices get excellent battery life and android devices don't.