Samsung's global Galaxy Tab sales lag behind Apple iPad at 600K

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung has revealed that it sold 600,000 units of its Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet worldwide in the first month, compared to more than a million iPads sold in the U.S. alone in less than a month earlier this year.

The numbers, detailed by The Korea Herald, show that Samsung's tablet has had a healthy start, but the device still lags behind the iPad. For comparison, Apple's Wi-Fi-only tablet sold more than a million units when it launched in the U.S. alone earlier this year, and before the 3G model launched.

The Galaxy Tab saw a much quicker international rollout than the iPad, debuting in Italy in mid-October. The 7-inch touchscreen tablet recently launched in the U.S. on Nov. 11, and is available through all four major wireless carriers.

The iPad debuted in the U.S. in early April with the Wi-Fi-only model, and the 3G version launched stateside a month later. International sales of the iPad were delayed as Apple struggled to meet demand, and the product launched on May 28 in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy and France.

The Galaxy Tab is noteworthy because it is the first major touchscreen tablet based on the Google Android mobile operating system. While Samsung modified Android to work on the larger tablet screen, Google is expected to introduce tablet-specific features in the next update to Android, codenamed "Gingerbread."

Another hopeful iPad rival, the HP Slate, sold just 9,000 units, it was revealed earlier this month. The Windows 7-based touchscreen device was given a hyped debut early this year before the iPad was introduced, in an attempt to steal some of Apple's thunder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 337
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    We now have 3 each in my Household, and the best part is that they all have their own distinct GUI/Home Screen set-ups, making them very 'personalized' to their respective user's needs.

That's really part of the beauty of Android... That there's so much flexibility/and customization available, as opposed to being relegated to an endless barrage of poorly-spaced icons.

My Galaxy Tab has quickly become the first gadget I reach for when I head out the door (next to my Samsung Fascinate) - It's Near-Perfect - IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 337
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    That's a lot more than I expected. Someone's making it interesting. Of course, the iPad got iOS 4.2 today and will get a hardware rev in a few months, so Apple isn't exactly sitting still.
  • Reply 3 of 337
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

We now have 3 each in my Household

Why? One for every pocket?
  • Reply 4 of 337
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    600,000 units isn't a bad start, IMO. Hopefully a customizable home screen isn't its best feature.

Later guys, off to play with AirPlay.
  • Reply 5 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Nope... I bought mine on the 11th, and then the spouse decided that she'd like one because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device, next I bought one for my oldest (who loves all things Android).
  • Reply 6 of 337
    Quote:

Nope... I bought mine on the 11th, and then the spouse decided that she'd like one because she found her iPad bit too ungainly/cumbersome to really be considered a true on-the-go device, next I bought one for my oldest (who loves all things Android).

...I think you missed his point -- if there are three of you, and you have "three each" in your household, that means your household has 9 of them.
  • Reply 7 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

DaHarder is a known troll that has been caught um, "stretching the truth" on many many occasions, both here, and on Engadget, possibly other places as well. It's best to simply ignore him, he's likely just looking to get a rise out of you. He also is not very good with English grammar, so in his defence, he probably meant three for the entire household, not three each.
  • Reply 8 of 337
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deuxlavabo View Post

...I think you missed his point -- if there are three of you, and you have "three each" in your household, that means your household has 9 of them.

Slow down a little...
  • Reply 9 of 337
    Quote:

We now have 3 each in my Household, and the best part is that they all have their own distinct GUI/Home Screen set-ups, making them very 'personalized' to their respective user's needs.

With a 7 inch screen, the offering from our Korean friends is certain to be dead on arrival.
  • Reply 10 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

600,000 units isn't a bad start, IMO. Hopefully a customizable home screen isn't its best feature.

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just too darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

• Reply 11 of 337
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Later guys, off to play with AirPlay.

That's definitely a pretty impressive number. It will be interesting to see how that holds up and what the iPad 2 does to compete. Good for us - I'm sure that had there been a real competitor showing last spring we'd have had an iPad with 512MB and a camera. :/ Then again, maybe we'll get an iPad Retina display... that would be sweet.
  • Reply 12 of 337
    Quote:

Hardly... It has true (all app) multi-tasking, outstanding ergonomics/form-factor (can easily be held with one hand), gorgeous/highly responsive screen, works as a mobile hotspot out-of the-box/with no additional fees, all-day-battery autonomy, choice of cellular carriers, etc.

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just to darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

The iPad is much more elegant and user friendly. The icons are all right there in from of you, which is easier instead of being all over the place.
  • Reply 13 of 337
    Quote:

I appreciate my iPad, but it'll now be relegated to in-home use only, as it's just to darned bulky to carry around anywhere.

When you carry both the Fascinate and the Tab, how do you decide which to use?
  • Reply 14 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

DaHarder is a known troll that has been caught um, "stretching the truth" on many many occasions, both here, and on Engadget, possibly other places as well. It's best to simply ignore him, he's likely just looking to get a rise out of you. He also is not very good with English grammar, so in his defence, he probably meant three for the entire household, not three each.

Any claims I've ever made have all been 100% factual, and proven on numerous occasions, so take your Hate/Vitriol/Lies Elsewhere...

EDIT: BTW... I Challenge You To Prove Any of Your Lies.
  • Reply 15 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

That's definitely a pretty impressive number. It will be interesting to see how that holds up and what the iPad 2 does to compete. Good for us - I'm sure that had there been a real competitor showing last spring we'd have had an iPad with 512MB and a camera. :/ Then again, maybe we'll get an iPad Retina display... that would be sweet.

I can tell you right now. Some people will buy, few will like it, the disapointed will be buying iPads. Can you compare them really? Of course not.
  • Reply 16 of 337
    Seriously, other than shirtless trailer park types

Who would buy this?
  • Reply 17 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

When you carry both the Fascinate and the Tab, how do you decide which to use?

When the phone rings... It's My Fascinate - otherwise I use my Galaxy tab for social networking/web duties/fun - Pretty Simple
  • Reply 18 of 337
    Quote:

True multitasking huh? Yuo are too funny.
  • Reply 19 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That's a lot more than I expected. Someone's making it interesting. Of course, the iPad got iOS 4.2 today and will get a hardware rev in a few months, so Apple isn't exactly sitting still.

I'm surprised at the number as well. I thought it was waaay to expensive. It needs to be closer to $300 without contract. I bought the Nook Color, which I'm still undecided about. I think the Notion Ink is the device I'm going to be really happy with. If it's half as good as it seems, it will be more than enough for me to sell my iPad and finally get a good Android tablet.
  • Reply 20 of 337
    insult removed