New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 124
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Of course it does, but why should the average person who resides in areas with decent coverage care about the service in areas that will never affect them. If a carrier marketed coverage at the South Pole you?d 1) think they are lying, 2) wonder if how they can offer service in those areas and why, and 3) think that it?s a pointless reason for you to join there service based on that criteria unless you are someone who will be living at the South Pole for a part of the year.



    Nevertheless, it matters to enough people to justify Apple going multiple carrier. People clearly have carrier loyalty, in fact you do.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I bet more iPhone users care about simultaneous voice and data than getting service in areas they will never travel to.



    The service is apparently bad in big cities too. Not that I assume you know where people travel (my guess is a lot of the urban community spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at least in rural areas, commonly known as going home, and would like coverage).



    Voice and data is a non issue outside this website. otherwise Verizon would be fearing a huge Android drain to AT&T. But you like it and you get to keep it. Win Win.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    56%. AT&T = 25%. Verizon = 31%



    These numbers look off to me.



    Verizon = 93.2M

    AT&T = 92.8M

    Sprint = 48.8M

    T-Mobile = 33.8M

    Other = 40M (estimation with rounding up)



    308.6 ÷ 186 = 60.3%



    Of only the top 4 carriers it goes to 69.25%.



    It’s likely higher now for Verizon and AT&T as they have consistently been beating the lesser carriers each quarter.



    On top of that, it’s likely this past quarter will put AT&T ahead of Verizon in subscriber numbers. Of course, now that Verizon has the iPhone any lead AT&T may have achieved for the ned of 2010 will be short lived now that Verizon has the iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post


    I notice they avoided using data and voice simultaneously...







    Oh I'm such a b**ch



    I kid VeriZon, I kid cos I...Well cos it's what I do. I honestly don't care about your inferior Network features, I'm in the UK rocking the Hutchison 3G network.



    Ha! You beat me to the punch line. Admittedly, I'm in NYC, so you have about a 6-hour advantage. So I say to you, well played, very well played indeed.
  • Reply 45 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Nevertheless, it matters to enough people to justify Apple going multiple carrier.



    Um.. yeah, of course it does. Why would you suggest it wouldn’t matter? Perhaps you should read sabbath’s comment about simultaneous V&D not as important as having ‘3G’ (laugh) service in the most remote areas of the country.



    Quote:

    People clearly have carrier loyalty, in fact you do.



    Um.. no! I have no carrier loyalty. I have no loyalty to Apple. I only care about the service that best suits my needs. If I was in an area that AT&T didn’t suit my needs I’d not be on AT&T. They are fraking companies for god’s sake. You use them to make money (investing) and to make your life easier and/or more enjoyable (product/services), and they use you back by taking your money. That it’s.
  • Reply 46 of 124
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Um.. yeah, of course it does. Why would you suggest it wouldn?t matter? Perhaps you should read y sabbath comment about simultaneous V&D not as important as having ?3G? (laugh) service in the most remote areas of the country.





    Um.. no! I have no carrier loyalty. I have no loyalty to Apple. I only care about the service that best suits my needs. If I was in an area that AT&T didn?t suit my needs I?d not be on AT&T. They are fraking companies for god?s sake. You use them to make money (investing) and to make your life easier and/or more enjoyable (product/services), and they use you back by taking your money. That it?s.



    This continues to be surreal. What is your point in posting? You are telling us about your particular predilection towards voice and data? Have you any statistics to indicate that this issue is relevant to this thread, or Apples move to Verizon will encounter issues.



    Or are you just regaling us with personal anecdotes.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    The service is apparently bad in big cities too. Not that I assume you know where people travel (my guess is a lot of the urban community spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at least in rural areas, commonly known as going home, and would like coverage).



    If you are defining “a lot” as the majority and “rural” as suburbs or smaller towns then that is patently false. Rural areas only account for a small portion of the total society. Why you think these people make up the majority is the real question here.



    Look, no one is saying that AT&T will fit everyone’s needs or that any one carrier will fit everyone’s needs, but for you to suggest sabbath’s comment makes sense for the majority means you’re not being rational.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    This continues to be surreal. What is your point in posting? You are telling us about your particular predilection towards voice and data? Have you any statistics to indicate that this issue is relevant to this thread, or Apples move to Verizon will encounter issues.



    Or are you just regaling us with personal anecdotes.



    Do you have any statistics to back up your fanciful claims? Of course not.



    PS: Look up the word anecdote.



    PPS: Learn to be logical in thought and many more doors will open up for you.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Do you have any statistics to back up your fanciful claims? Of course not.



    PS: Look up the word anecdote.



    PPS: Learn to be logical in thought and many more doors will open up for you.



    I know what anecdote is. You are telling us your story about how when you travel you are never out of coverage. That's an anecdote, not a statistic.



    As for the proof that nobody gives a shit about voice and data it is your claim that it matters to most phone customers rather than coverage which need the data. In the absence of any analyst discussing this, any suggestions that the lack if simultaneous voice and data is harming the Verizon network, any large movement of Verizon Abdroid customers to AT&T the evidence is against you.



    There are plenty of articles bemoaning both AT&Ts lack of coverage and it's bad coverage in urban areas.



    So you need to learn logic.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabbath View Post


    I can't believe that this is a bigger deal to people, then not having 3G in half of the country. They should have displayed the 2 3G and EDGE maps. Verizon will be 4G before at&t is 3G here I think. I have to drive 2 hours before I'm out of the EDGE network. Plus you can do both Data and talk on Verizon if there is wifi available... if your on at&t Data in northern Mn. may I say ufff wifi is a MUST.



    Look at it like this......realize how many people have an iPhone with ATT. Now, look how many of those people go onto the forums and complain about VZW not having same time voice/data. Realize some of those people are on the other forums as well, sometimes with the same user names and sometimes not. It is a small percentage. I bet most of the iPhone customers do not even comprehend data and voice at the same time....let alone actually use it. It is not because iPhone custoemrs are dumb......they just do not know.



    You will have a small percentage that do, however, but, you will also have that small percentage claim there are more people that use this feature than there really is.....because they think they know more. My understanding is that VZW will have same time this year, without the need for LTE even.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    I know what anecdote is. You are telling us your story about how when you travel you are never out of coverage. That's an anecdote, not a statistic.



    As for the proof that nobody gives a shit about voice and data it is your claim that it matters to most phone customers rather than coverage which need the data. In the absence of any analyst discussing this, any suggestions that the lack if simultaneous voice and data us harming the Verizon network, any large movement of Verizon Abdroid customers to AT&T the evidence is against you.



    There are plenty of articles bemoaning both AT&Ts lack of coverage and it's bad coverage in urban areas.



    So you need to learn logic.



    1) The comment you replied to made no mention of me traveling.



    2) The comment on the previous page I used myself as an example was not an anecdote, it was just an example. There was no narrative. There was no story.



    3) Reading comprehension is not a crime! No one said the lack of SV&D is harming Verizon. In fact, I very clearly stated that Verizon will regain or further its lead over AT&T this year now that it has the iPhone.



    4) Again, you need to think rationally here. I stated "I bet more iPhone users care about simultaneous voice and data than getting service in areas they will never travel to.” You jumped to the erroneous conclusion that ‘more’ meant all and that ‘never’ didn’t mean never. Obvious some people are idiots and can’t think logically, IOW those that do travel to rural areas are going to want coverage if they are going to want to use a cell phone there, therefore they are not part of the group that never travels to those areas.



    5) Finally, you have repeatedly and conveniently ignored that Verizon is not the only carrier that services rural areas and that there is a chance AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and/or another may service such an area better than Verizon, even though that is unlikely.





    PS: Until you can start looking at each user’s situation as unique and each carrier as having pros and cons then we’re not going to have any worthwhile discourse on this topic. You’re just wasting my time.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Got Verizon, so now the only the White iPhone needs to be released. Hoping for February too as rumors suggest. I'd buy one just for all the care that went into creating it.



    The real beauty of the white iPhone will be the great potential for modding the backs of them. They'll certainly stand out from the black model.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    Am I the only one who has been very unimpressed by Apple commercials in the recent years? What ever happened to those edgy iTunes commercials? The iPhone and iPad ads are all so boring now.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Just goes to prove that anything can be spun.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post


    Elsewhere, like Australia.. Apple is on all carriers.



    ... Try $0 on for size, that's what we pay in oz if we want.



    Really?



    You are getting something for nothing, that's cool.



    Obviously negative entropy is alive and kicking down under.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    So when is Verizon rolling out the "DROID DID" commercials?



    Or Droid is a steaming pile of DO.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    Together, I think they represent about 65-70% of the US market.



    Microsoft made a lot of money by not excluding the Mac platform even when it only had single digit market share. It turned out to be a very smart strategy in the long run.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post


    Advertisement is excrement. All of it.



    Did you mean to say excellent?



    It is a great ad I think. Now that Verizon vs ATT no longer means Android vs iPhone I think developers will have an additional motivation of coding for iOS. Even if Verizon numbers will be lower then expected, at least they won't be excluding Verizon customers by coding for iPhone.



    In other words, it used to be that Coding for Android was, at least in theory, more universal, as you could reach ATT, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile customers. Even though the number of users may have been similar, at least you were covering all markets and carriers. Now the playing field has equaled, and in a way tipped into apple's favor once again.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    I know what anecdote is. You are telling us your story about how when you travel you are never out of coverage. That's an anecdote, not a statistic.



    As for the proof that nobody gives a shit about voice and data it is your claim that it matters to most phone customers rather than coverage which need the data. In the absence of any analyst discussing this, any suggestions that the lack if simultaneous voice and data is harming the Verizon network, any large movement of Verizon Abdroid customers to AT&T the evidence is against you.



    There are plenty of articles bemoaning both AT&Ts lack of coverage and it's bad coverage in urban areas.



    So you need to learn logic.



    Here's some "evidence" about Att. I live in Los Angeles, Hollywood in fact. I've been an Att customer since the iPhone came out. You would *think* Att would work hard to cover this city and my area in fact just because it's full of forward thinkers and people in a powerful word of mouth industries like entertainment, media etc. Not the case. Case in point - my gym in near Beverly Center. A huge area nearby has little or NO coverage TODAY--still.



    Add to this that many iPhone owners have used the Att app that sends them data about lack of coverage spots -- guess what? Last year Att sent out emails text messages etc that in that particular area they were installing new equipment in that area to deal with the coverage issues.. Guess what. No new equipment and the problems still exist.



    What morons. Why alert people to a fix and then never deliver? Look it, Att services suck on all levels of it's services. Explain why they "install" Uverse fiber optic lines to your corners or nearest phone central box only to force that high speed line into 60 year old copper cables that go into my house? Lame! Verizon in fact installs Fios as all fiber optic to your home! That's precisely why Att has horrible history of a lack of commitment to quality. It shows in ALL their businesses. Period
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


    Good catch. I'd missed that after two times watching. It's a fantastically humane advertisement, in so many ways.



    Interesting change from the more aggressive "I'm a PC. And I'm a Mac" campaign. No need to encourage switching now that Apple has created a whole new market and dominated it. If opening up to other carriers is not enough to stop Android from cutting into their hegemony, perhaps a new campaign will emerge to discourage switching. Things going full circle.
Sign In or Register to comment.