New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

"Two is," not "two are?" Where have all the English teachers gone?

I bet they went round and round with that one. 'Two' could be seen as a collective singular, though, like you would say 'two is more than one.'

But in the end, in advertising, you get to Think Different.
  • Reply 82 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

People who claim it's not a big deal invariably don't have it, so they don't understand why you would want it.

The worst thing that can happen without V&D is not the delayed email, it's the loss of productivity when you are on the phone. For people for whom time is money, wasting 15 minutes staring at the wall instead of doing something productive means 15 less minutes at home with the family.

You talk about productivity, so you must use your phone for business. My business calls on the cell phone are usually like "stuck in traffic, be there in 5 minutes, bye." All of my important business calls are on LL, or Skype for international contacts. I probably use around 15 minutes of voice per day so even though I do have AT&T iPhone, the V&D part is no big deal for me.

Edit: I know I have argued the inverse of this topic in other threads but it is nice to have when you need it, I just don't need it that often. And now everyone has a choice.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I have stated elsewhere that I think that Sprint will get the iPhone since there are no technical hurdles for Apple to address; I am not so sure about T-Mobile until the LTE iPhone arrives.

Apple appears to be expanding their carrier relationships globally and I think that is a smart move.

I thought T-Mobile was GSM? My UK iPhone seemed to stay on T-Mobile most of the week when I visited NYC at the end of last year. I wasn't using any data though: do T-Mobile US use something different for the data? It never detected a Sprint network so I assumed they have another technology.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    This comment personally retracted in order to stay on topic.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I bet they went round and round with that one. 'Two' could be seen as a collective singular, though, like you would say 'two is more than one.'

But in the end, in advertising, you get to Think Different.

Yeah, I think collective singular is appropriate here, since it's being presented as a specific condition, "twoness", that trumps mere oneness.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You talk about productivity, so you must use your phone for business. My business calls on the cell phone are usually like "stuck in traffic, be there in 5 minutes, bye." All of my important business calls are on LL, or Skype for international contacts. I probably use around 15 minutes of voice per day so even though I do have AT&T iPhone, the V&D part is no big deal for me.

Edit: I know I have argued the inverse of this topic in other threads but it is nice to have when you need it, I just don't need it that often. And now everyone has a choice.

If you use 15 minutes per day, that works out to less than 400 per month (5 days a week). Which is smaller than ATT's smallest plan. So it should be self-evident that your usage is not typical of ATT (or Verizon) users.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If you use 15 minutes per day, that works out to less than 400 per month (5 days a week). Which is smaller than ATT's smallest plan. So it should be self-evident that your usage is not typical of ATT (or Verizon) users.

You are the one who said invariably. 450 minutes is probably the the most common plan AT&T offers. Still, I can count on one hand how many times I use V&D each month, and not intentionally using it. Seriously how productive can you be while on a cell call unless you have a computer as well? What is the other person doing while you are surfing the web and reading email?
  • Reply 88 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I thought T-Mobile was GSM? My UK iPhone seemed to stay on T-Mobile most of the week when I visited NYC at the end of last year. I wasn't using any data though: do T-Mobile US use something different for the data? It never detected a Sprint network so I assumed they have another technology.

It's GSM and UMTS, just like all iPhones between June 2008 and January 2011. Unfortunately it still needs additional HW for it to be a fully compatible device on T-Mobile USA's network. IOW, the HW would need to be updated for Apple and T-Mo to partner in the US.

T-Mobile USA uses the wonky 1700Mhz AWS band for UMTS. Despite having 5 UMTS radio spectrums inside, of which only 4 are currently in use, it would need to add a 6th or replace one before T-Mobile USA will give better than EDGE for data.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:

You are the one who said invariably. 450 minutes is probably the the most common plan AT&T offers. Still, I can count on one hand how many times I use V&D each month, and not intentionally using it. Seriously how productive can you be while on a cell call unless you have a computer as well? What is the other person doing while you are surfing the web and reading email?

From being in a hold, to looking up a movie or address, or getting or sending an MMS or email from someone you're on a call with, to looking up reading a website for various other data to relay to "relayee" from the caller.

I suppose you can say thing about smartphones.... and people have until they decided to get one and now can't live without it. Technology moves from luxury to necessity, from want to need. It's the way of things.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From being in a hold, to looking up a movie or address, or getting or sending an MMS or email from someone you're on a call with, to looking up reading a website for various other data to relay to "relayee" from the caller.

I suppose you can say thing about smartphones.... and people have until they decided to get one and now can't live without it. Technology moves from luxury to necessity, from want to need. It's the way of things.

Oh I understand your points, and don't disagree. I'm just saying my life isn't that complicated. When I'm out and about, I'm usually in transit somewhere or occupied in some activity, almost never idly seated somewhere that would make it convenient to juggle various communications. The one time I might need it is to verify a location with someone on the spur of the moment due to missed connection meet up etc. Then yes. I realize I may have different usage patterns than many here but I don't think my phone usage is at all uncommon with the general public.

Remember I'm not arguing against it, I just don't see it as a deal breaker for Verizon customers.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Nice anecdote. What we are interested on this site is how any of this affects the sales of iPhone devices.

you see the evidence is

1) Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US regardless of it's lack of V&D

2) Verizon is the biggest carrier in the US because people do care about coverage.

3) AT&T is attacked in technical blogs, newspapers, and on TV (the Daily Show) for it's poor coverage in Urban areas. And US rural coverage.

4) There has been no flocking of Android users to AT&T to get this feature.

5) There is an expected large amount of AT&T iPhone defectors to Verizon because of the coverage issue.

Facts. Not anecdotes about your life. Tell us about your cat sometime.

Actually, dont.

If this mattered to any significant number of people it would be an issue, Verizon would be losing customers and the company would spend money, much more money, on upgrading their networks.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Tell us about your cat sometime.

Solipsism has a cat? Hey, tell us more. Does your cat have its own iPhone? iPad?

What type of food do you feed your cat? Do you go for walks together? How old is the cat?

What's its name?

Cool... you've got a cat...
  • Reply 93 of 124
    Quote:

Remember I'm not arguing against it, I just don't see it as a deal breaker for Verizon customers.

It?s obviously not a deal breaker for Verizon customers or they wouldn?t be Verizon customers in the first place. I?m sure it?s not a deal breaker for many UMTS-based customers around the world either. Personally, the slower speeds of Verizon are more of a deal breaker for me than the SV&D, but that might be because I now use my iPad a lot more in public since the 4.3 betas have a hidden multi-tasking feature. Yeah, that feature got me into the iPad as an every day device.

I bet the majority that are using phones with that feature fall into the category of A) not even realizing that?s a feature to B) not realizing that?s not a feature all carriers offer to C) not thinking it?s a big deal.

What sucks about having this feature and all such technological evolutions is once you no longer have it you may miss how important it was to you, even for the very few times you used it. We may very well see this with AT&T customers that move to Verizon for the iPhone. Perhaps something along the lines of ?I didn?t think I?d miss SV&D but now that I?m on Verizon I realize just how much I used without realizing it/I took it for granted.?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nice anecdote. What we are interested on this site is how any of this affects the sales of iPhone devices.

Seriously, learn WTF an anecdote is. If you can figure out how to post on this forum you can figure out how to look up a fraking word on dictionary.com. I shouldn?t have to tell you twice.
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Solipsism has a cat? Hey, tell us more. Does your cat have its own iPhone? iPad?

What type of food do you feed your cat? Do you go for walks together? How old is the cat?

What's its name?

Cool... you've got a cat...

I have a funny story about my cat allergies.

I’m afraid to ask what his “evidence” of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I’m sure I’ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

FYI: asdasd, that would have been an anecdote.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Quote:

I?m afraid to ask what his ?evidence? of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I?m sure I?ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

Hello Solipsism,

I don't know who you are. I have read many of your posts. I admire the way you argue a point. You generally have decent facts to back up your point of view. Its a good give and take. But what I can't understand is when someone doesn't eventually give into your point of view, you resort to name calling and a general childish way to attack a person's personality. It looks bad.

I'm not trying to change you. Obviously you are happy with the kind of person you are. I just wish you would stop the name calling. It lowers your point in my opinion. Specifically, does your debater have to have a "juvenile response" to answer your opinion.
  • Reply 96 of 124
    Quote:

Seriously, learn WTF an anecdote is. If you can figure out how to post on this forum you can figure

out how to look up a fraking word on dictionary.com. I shouldn’t have to tell you twice.

I know what an anecdote is. I explained it to you. I can not do any more. Your meandering half-witted discussions about how you use the V&D are anecdotes of little relevance to anybody, my list of reasons why none of this matters to real people included a list of ( admittedly forward looking) statistics.

Quote:

I’m afraid to ask what his “evidence” of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I’m sure I’ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

FFS. It's like talking to a real dumb two year old with learning problems. I continually mentioned that analysts were predicting a movement to Verizon from iPhone users, like in this easy to search for article. Already posted on this website.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...erizon-iphone/

Obviously I, and every other poster on the forum know that the Verizon iPhone has not gone on sale yet. Thats why I talked about predictions.

That link is an analyst prediction of 6M iPhone using defectors to verizon. It is also a statistic - not a story about how I use my iPhone. Try that sometime.

Quote:

hy were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone?

Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks

WTF does any of that mean, outside of the voices in your head do you think it makes the slightest bit of sense? 2 weeks? What? Do you think thay anybody who defects has to in the next two weeks? Do you think that people might wait until their contract is up?

Over time this year as analysts are predicting, people will move their existing iPhones to a Verizon contract, or get new iPhones on an Verizon contract because they prefer Verizon. Why? Because they care about coverage, and not at all about V&D, your stories about how you use the phone are therefore irrelevant. Except to you. Go write a blog.

And since I cannot deal with morons - go to ignore.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:

I?m afraid to ask what his ?evidence? of all these defectors to Verizon for the iPhone as I?m sure I?ll just get an irrational, juvenile response that makes absolutely no sense. Who would defect to Verizon for the iPhone before it comes out? Why were they on the AT&T before if not the iPhone? Are they canceling their contracts, buying new Verizon phones and then canceling them to get the iPhone or simply going without a phone for the next 2 weeks?

No it wouldnt. What that is a jumbled up set of sentences which makes no sense in the sane world. But - to ignore.
  • Reply 98 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

So far, ATT doesn't carry any good Android phones, and the one-size-fits-all iPhone is very limited in capabilities.

The Samsung Galaxy S is one of Android's flagships, AT&T has one of the variants.

I guess it just goes to show how bad Android phones really are if you think AT&T doesn't have any good ones.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Good for you.

So for those that only use about half a GB you can get a 1GB plan in Australia for $1656 ($69/month) over 2 years.

Or you can get a 4 GB plan for $2400/2years.

In effect, you are paying ($2400 less $199 less $1656) over $500 for the iPhone if you are the average data user.

And note, in America, for $199 iPhone you can virtually call over 300 more people for free and get unlimited data. Plus a lot of other things you may want or not.

I pay $59 a month with 2GB a month with a free iPhone 4 16GB, $700 worth of calls, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited calls to two Australian networks.

I've never come close to using 2GB.
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The original iPhone did not have simultaneous voice and data. That came with 3G. Even modern AT&T iPhones will lose simultaneous voice and data when falling back to the GSM EDGE network.

Is that like the original Android phones not having multitouch i.e. irrelevant?