New Apple iPhone 'two is better than one' ad promotes Verizon, AT&T

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

Hello Solipsism,

I don't know who you are. I have read many of your posts. I admire the way you argue a point. You generally have decent facts to back up your point of view. Its a good give and take. But what I can't understand is when someone doesn't eventually give into your point of view, you resort to name calling and a general childish way to attack a person's personality. It looks bad.

I'm not trying to change you. Obviously you are happy with the kind of person you are. I just wish you would stop the name calling. It lowers your point in my opinion. Specifically, does your debater have to have a "juvenile response" to answer your opinion.

Add him to your IGNORE list and the site becomes a much better experience without the gobbledygook he spews. And his name calling- his modus operandi. There is a reason for his 22,000 posts- but I refuse to engage in obvious name calling. Perhaps he thinks he'll win some sort of prize.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S is one of Android's flagships, AT&T has one of the variants.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

The last time I checked, they had nothing worth considering. Motorola Backflip? Only a moron would buy one of those.

Is the Samsung the only hot Android they sell? Does it have some sort of overlay, or does it have a real Android interface? One of these days I'll go take a look at it. For the time being, however, I'm locked into the iPhone.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFirst View Post

Anyone notice that they didn't do a Safari page load time comparison but just a double-tap to zoom?

Content from iTunes. Sequences shortened.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Is that like the original Android phones not having multitouch i.e. irrelevant?

I don't know, and I don't really care.

All I was saying was that simutaneous voice & data is a GSM 3G feature, but the original iPhone was EDGE only, and current AT&T iPhones still fall back to EDGE in less populated places where AT&T has no 3G service.

I have found it indispensable when I'm on the phone and someone asks me to look something up on Google or Maps. I don't have to say, "let me look that up and call you back."
  • Reply 105 of 124
    Quote:

Hello Solipsism,

I don't know who you are. I have read many of your posts. I admire the way you argue a point. You generally have decent facts to back up your point of view. Its a good give and take. But what I can't understand is when someone doesn't eventually give into your point of view, you resort to name calling and a general childish way to attack a person's personality. It looks bad.

I'm not trying to change you. Obviously you are happy with the kind of person you are. I just wish you would stop the name calling. It lowers your point in my opinion. Specifically, does your debater have to have a "juvenile response" to answer your opinion.

For another point of view:

If you want to see name calling then stick around and read a few of my posts.

I don't agree in the slightest with what you are saying about Solipsism. In this case he's dealing with a guy who is obviously acting moronic and whose only objective is to get Solipsism's goat.

I think your problem is that you can't see obvious trolls. Maybe that's Solipsism's only sin... he answered a troll... but, hey, sometimes it's fun to play with them.

[... and... think about this... you, in turn, said that Solipsism resorted to a generally childish way... maybe that's only in your own mind, maybe you are now insulting Solipsism using a personal attack... maybe you are projecting.

Just my 2 cents.

... and now back to regular programming...
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entire last page of this thread

off-topic nonsense

So... how about that iPhone? \
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:

Hello Solipsism,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't agree in the slightest with what you are saying about Solipsism. In this case he's dealing with a guy who is obviously acting moronic and whose only objective is to get Solipsism's goat.

I think your problem is that you can't see obvious trolls. Maybe that's Solipsism's only sin... he answered a troll... but, hey, sometimes it's fun to play with them.

[... and... think about this... you, in turn, said that Solipsism resorted to a generally childish way... maybe that's only in your own mind, maybe you are now insulting Solipsism using a personal attack... maybe you are projecting.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been visiting AI for 4+ years and I find Solip to be one of, if not the, most objective and open minded posters here. He brings up very good points, provides good insight and statistics with plenty of proof to back it up, has great command of the English language (although in his haste to post, he sometimes neglects to proofread) and doesn't flip-flop on issues. I may not contribute very often but I observe rather extensively.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So... how about that iPhone? \

Actually... by giving a second opinion about Solipsism's comments I was staying truer than most about the topic at hand... Two is better than one.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    I miss the days of the Think Different ads. Apple ads have been so \ lately
  • Reply 110 of 124
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I miss the days of the Think Different ads. Apple ads have been so \ lately

The 'Think Different' ads were largely a branding campaign. Apple's brand is now well-known so it makes sense that the current ads stay more focused on products.

I think this ad is well-done. As I suspected, Apple chose to be assiduously carrier-neutral. Someone mentioned above that they did not show actual browsing and I am certain that was a conscious decision so as to not suggest either carrier has better performance.

This ads are simple: the iPhone is now available on two great (big) American networks and works great on both.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just my 2 cents.

I have been reading Ai for several years. I have contribute to the conversation on a few rare occasions. I have many posters I admire for the way they conduct a debate and the points they make. I hold Solipsism in the highest regard. He often has the best points with facts to prove his view.

But like many on this site, he falls into the trap of responding to people who are obviously trying to "get his goat" as you say. Thats the beauty of a debate. Can you argue your point without lowering yourself to your opposite. I was only trying to encourage him to be the better man. When you resort to name calling and derogatory terms, you are admitting to your debater he has gotten you riled up. Maybe thats good. Maybe you want that blood boiling. But for me reading this back and forth exchange, I quickly lose interest. Its like when I was a kid and I engaged in a debate over something trivial with some kid. Eventually, I would run out of anything decent to say. As a last resort, I would say "yea, well your mama". That was my escape hatch. Thats how I feel when so many posters on this site run out of something decent to say. Then they resort to name calling. Thats when I have to check out.

I realize this is the new world of the internet. Score points and "ignore' people who disagree with you. I like the debates. I just hope we can keep it away from "your mama" stage of rebuttal.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    these iphone ads are gay beyond belief
  • Reply 113 of 124
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    also lol@ the mo's arguing
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Delightful ad. Such a nice way to say "F*** YOU AT&T YOU BLEW IT!!!"
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

"Two is," not "two are?" Where have all the English teachers gone?

"Two is better than one" is correct, not "Two are better than one"... "Two birds are better than one" would be correct.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Add him to your IGNORE list and the site becomes a much better experience without the gobbledygook he spews. And his name calling- his modus operandi. There is a reason for his 22,000 posts- but I refuse to engage in obvious name calling. Perhaps he thinks he'll win some sort of prize.

At the rate everyone is saying that everyone else is on their ignore list, there should be a lot less posts on AI Forums. Which doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    I understand that ads like this one are made with digital compositing, particularly the screen image which doesn't usually film well. But...

Why is it that we see a black woman talking to an Asian woman over Facetime, but the hand holding each phone is that of a white male?

I suppose they could have been the hands of very controlling boyfriends.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    We should probably make an important distinction to clear up this "anecdote" argument.

There is nothing wrong with anecdotes when used simply as anecdotes. Duh

The problem (and a quite frequent one on the internet) is when people use "anecdotal evidence" to try to prove their point or defend a sweeping, general claim.

For example:

AT&T has terrible service, wherever I go I fall back on EDGE or don't have an service at all. Sometimes I have to go to the end of my driveway to make a call. AT&T obviously doesn't care about improving its network or its reputation.

That is using "anecdotal evidence" to support your claim. Not very effective among intelligent people.

I like having simultaneous voice and data. I don't know how many times I have been driving in the car, talking on the phone, and needed to look up directions to where I was going. It was definitely helpful there.

That's simply an "anecdote". Nothing wrong with that.

As far as the iPhone goes, I have never really thought that Apple set out to make the best "phone" out there. I don't think anyone would ever try to say that it was the "best reception device", even when only compared to other devices' performance on the AT&T network. The iPhone is about everything - phone, apps, speed, fluidity - all coming together in one device. That being said, I really do believe that the iPhone was made with the strengths of AT&T's network (and other GSM/UMTS networks) - speed, simultaneous voice and data - in mind. The experience on Verizon will invariably be less when viewed in light of what Apple's goal is - a fluid experience.

Prediction - the defections from AT&T to Verizon will not be as large as expected.

Prediction - a large portion of iPhone users that defect will get to Verizon and realize that they are giving up significant amounts of speed and capability (SV&D) and many will return to AT&T.

Prediction - negativity towards Verizon will rise significantly after launching the iPhone. iPhone users are generally a very demanding bunch. One of AT&T's PR problems right now is that their iPhone users expect different things, fair or not, from their network than those on Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile do... partially due simply to the fact that Apple tends to rank very high in customer satisfaction themselves. I don't believe Verizon will be able to live up to these expectations either.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Obviously I, and every other poster on the forum know that the Verizon iPhone has not gone on sale yet.

Never, ever make assumptions about what "every other poster" on this forum "knows"!! \
  • Reply 120 of 124
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

"Two is," not "two are?" Where have all the English teachers gone?

"...long time passing..."