Apple CEO Steve Jobs photographed at dinner with President Obama

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh dear, that is bleak. From over here in the US it seems the French are really fond of American buffoons (e.g. Jerry Lewis, Steve Ballmer, Homer Simpson). Is this true or is it a distorted stereotype?

Fond of ? No.

Nobody knows Steve Ballmer ; Homer Simpson, well it's a fictional character, but he's funny. Not sure what you want to say by putting him in your list.

Jerry Lewis, I'm not sure anyone knows him either.
  • Reply 122 of 176
    the second NE pic showed Steve's hand, which appeared to be bent at the knuckles. I looked closely at the Obama pic.>> his left thumb is cocked at a weird angle..looks like he does have a flexion contracture, probably a Dupuytren's contracture, quite possibly related to his pancreatic neoplasm..a relatively benign sign, not anything worse...
  • Reply 123 of 176
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yeah, also Paul Otellini (Intel) and John Chambers (Cisco) are missing, although I think Chambers is a registered Republican.

The non-executive HP Chairman Ray Lane is another notable MIA. Also, no Narayen from Adobe, even though his company is twice as large as Netflix.

Paul Otellini (Intel) was up in Oregon, preparing for Obama's visit.

The whole shindig was carefully orchestrated to show Obama is friendly toward tech, and his announcement today in Oregon of Otelini as head of a "Jobs Council" was his "proof" that he is serious about......(drum roll, something we have never heard before)....JOBS, JOBS, JOBS (not just Steve, of course).

"We'll see", said the blind man.
  • Reply 124 of 176
    ...that's the important thing.

He is not on a death bed hooked on a dozen tubes.

Obviously he is not healthy, but this is definitely good news.
  • Reply 125 of 176
    [QUOTE=rbonner;1811300]Love the black turtle neck.

Wonder if he was in his jeans?
  • Reply 126 of 176
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except that there are two different kinds of pancreatic cancer that are entirely different from each other in severity and consequence as well as survivability.

Steve Jobs has the very rare one with the much longer survival rate. Odds are (just speaking statistics here) that your father had the much more common one.

I'm not saying he won't drop dead tomorrow, but he could just as easily live for a decade or two. We just don't know, and it's none of our business anyway.

You are talking about something that you know nothing about... Believe me that when someone in your family gets sick you become very well informed, very quickly on the topic...
  • Reply 127 of 176
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

... Would love to know the inside reason for slighting the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world, particularly since they were instrumental in the birth of silly valley.

This is true of the HP of yore. However, I feel that the leadership at HP made two big mistakes long ago and not so long ago:

(1) They ignored the birth of personal computing until too late. By that I mean, HP could today have owned personal computing as an Apple+Microsoft class corporation. They had the knowhow in software and hardware engineering that in its day was second to none. HP today, building computers to run another company's OS, is just too sad.

(2) They carved off that aspect of their operation that was pure class - Agilent. That is where the true HP is to be found, providing technical leadership and engineering excellence. What is now Agilent gave HP true class.

So, Microsoft is missing, HP is missing, perhaps that is an information age, technical leadership thing.

All the best.
  • Reply 128 of 176
    cwbcwb Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Zuckerberg and Doerr are patients of mine, and I know Schmidt from when he was taking pilot training. Zuckerberg was a bit introverted, and we did not discuss anything to do with Facebook - couldn't judge his personality very deeply. Doerr, on the other hand, was intelligent, social, and engaging, and figured out some of the technicalities of my profession (Optometry) while I was doing the testing - blew me away.

Wow, Dr. Baggett. Time to review the HIPAA Privacy Rule, I think!

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ies/index.html
  • Reply 129 of 176
    Maybe he's concerned -- Ron Paul looks like Obama's main competition!:

"Election 2012: Barack Obama 42%, Ron Paul 41%

Pit maverick Republican Congressman Ron Paul against President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election match-up, and the race is – virtually dead even."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...42_ron_paul_41

http://www.lewrockwell.com/pr/rasmus...-vs-obama.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You are my hero.

Maybe two years ago he could have held down Cloud City, but now he's the least powerful guy at the table, and trying to surround himself with the successful, while he flounders.

Maybe I'm being too harsh...
    "Under water grottos, caverns

Filled with apes

That eat figs.

Stepping on the figs

That the apes

Eat, they crunch."
    Perhaps Darth Remedial is his true sith name?

• Reply 130 of 176
    The good news? Steve's vertical and can attend such a function. This should quiet the death's-door rumors.

The bad news? He still looks like Jack from "The Nightmare Before Christmas". \
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Maybe he's concerned -- Ron Paul looks like Obama's main competition!:

"Election 2012: Barack Obama 42%, Ron Paul 41%

Pit maverick Republican Congressman Ron Paul against President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election match-up, and the race is ? virtually dead even."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...42_ron_paul_41

http://www.lewrockwell.com/pr/rasmus...-vs-obama.html

Boy, wouldn't that be great? As it is, I think Romneybot is the next one "blessed" by the GOP... and he'll lose like crazy going up against Obama. The run of the mill Republican is essentially no different than Obama, save for a regressive religious view.
  • Reply 132 of 176
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Interesting lighting, looks like he invited his guests to dinner on a photo-shoot set.

Meanwhile Steve looks around the table and thinks "I will crush you all."
  • Reply 133 of 176
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why does this picture look like a meeting of evil overlords conjuring plans to take over the world.
  • Reply 134 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Well, the people who might like to level such a criticism are the same ones promoting the fiction that Obama hates business/industry. They can't have it both ways.

Judging by the group having dinner, saying he hates consumers would be more accurate. Given the Obama administration's complete failure to do anything significant in regards to technology it is odd the dinner is happening at all.

I am guessing the reason they arranged the dinner was because it was the only way "Obama" and "Jobs" could be mentioned in a single story and have it be positive.

-kpluck
  • Reply 135 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

He would look right in a suit the way the Dalai Lama would look right in a suit.

But seriously, it was a pretty casual event, even the President was in shirtsleeves. Steak dinner, not a State dinner.

Nice.
  • Reply 136 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwb View Post

Wow, Dr. Baggett. Time to review the HIPAA Privacy Rule, I think!

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ies/index.html

Nothing about patient/doctor confidentiality was revealed, only my observations on their personalities after exams were completed. I'm well aware of confidentiality issues.
  • Reply 137 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Where's Ballmer?

From memory he's a staunch republican. Obama trying to get money from Ballmer would be like getting blood from a stone.
  • Reply 138 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Where is Steve Balmer? Is Microsoft off the face of the earth? No jobs or innovation there?

I posted this in another thread, but this is pretty funny, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of Ballmer's absence.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/obama_meeting
  • Reply 139 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I posted this in another thread, but this is pretty funny, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of Ballmer's absence.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/obama_meeting

Given that it's a Silicon Valley meeting and Microsoft's in Redmond...
  • Reply 140 of 176
    seems to me most of the biggies were in attendance, it would seem a no brainer Ballmer would be there, but, I guess not.

I've always thought microsoft would pick up the ball, when I saw win7 mobile I thought wow, they have something here pretty cool. But, everything just seems, flat. flatline. It's amazing.